One of the things I liked about BlackBerry over the years was their easy repairability of their devices.

The battery was easily removable. The keyboards could be easily replaced. And the screen was also relatively easily replaced as well (Q10, Z10, Z30).

It was especially useful for people who like to keep their phones for a long time.

With BlackBerry's newest phones, it seems clear to me that they want to create disposable hardware products instead of easily serviceable long lasting products. The battery shows a noticeable wear after only a year of usage, the physical keyboard is more likely to go wrong which is fine if it is easily replaceable (Q10).

I wish that BlackBerry hardware could go back to its roots of long lasting hardware.

Posted via CB10
    Jrox74 and mod9 like this.
    09-21-16 12:36 AM
    I agree with you as I miss the replaceable battery option. I can with my Z10 and wish I could with my Passport SE. These are the type of options that keep the phones out of the landfills and in circulation. Rocking 24-7 with my Passport SE & Semi Retired Z10
    09-21-16 01:17 AM
    Absolutely agree. I have two batteries with my Q10 and it helps immensely when I run out of battery life, makes life so easy and uncomplicated.

I am looking forward to the Mercury: would love the removable battery but knowing the way things are done these days it is highly unlikely that my wish will come true.

But then, and seeing that that phone is meant for "business" users, it wouldn't hurt to put in a removable battery for us.

Posted via CB10
    Q10Bold and skstrials like this.
    09-21-16 01:49 AM
    They already "moved" towards non-removable battery three years ago with the launch of Q5 unless you count P'9982/83 as new hardware. I don't think they'll launch a phone with a removable battery in a foreseeable future.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Faizan Syed; 09-21-16 at 12:27 PM.
    Avenzuno likes this.
    09-21-16 09:49 AM
    This is like wishing that auto makers would go back to making cars that are more user serviceable. We may think that we would want that but the tradeoffs in giving up technology and increased bulk would not be worth it for most of us.

90% of users would never take advantage of exchangeable smartphone parts. Making a custom battery sized to the individual model, without a case and without the need for a robust connector maximizes your battery capacity which is what most people want.
    09-21-16 10:00 AM
    They don't need to make removable batteries anymore. You have a vast variety of battery packs available for purchase these days.
    09-21-16 12:28 PM
    They don't need to make removable batteries anymore. You have a vast variety of battery packs available for purchase these days.
    The only issue is that it is only a matter of time before the battery goes bad due to deterioration.

Posted via CB10
    09-22-16 12:45 PM
    The only issue is that it is only a matter of time before the battery goes bad due to deterioration.

Posted via CB10
    I would argue that the battery is still easy to replace. The question comes down to how long you're going to keep your phone. Having a battery replaced by a professional at the two year mark isn't going to break the bank.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-16 06:32 AM
    I used to need replaceable batteries but with Quick Charge and small portable chargers and my upgrade cycle about 1.5 years it isn't need for me anymore.
    09-23-16 08:18 AM
    My devices are tools of livelihood. How popular would non-swappable embedded battery 18V Dewalt power tools be among folks depending on those tools for their livelihood? Maybe Dewalt, Milwaukee, Ryobi, etc power tools should dump swappable batteries and adopt Apple's non-swappable embedded "better idea"?? Lol.
    skstrials likes this.
    09-23-16 10:31 PM
    I used to need replaceable batteries but with Quick Charge and small portable chargers and my upgrade cycle about 1.5 years it isn't need for me anymore.
    Fair enough, for 1.5 year usage cycle, the battery wear will not matter.

For the people that keep their devices longer than that, the battery becomes an issue.

The sealed in battery is really a scam from the manufacturers to get the people to upgrade sooner.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-16 03:49 PM
    I think it's more to do with the capacity of a integrated battery vs removable

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-24-16 10:20 PM
    My devices are tools of livelihood. How popular would non-swappable embedded battery 18V Dewalt power tools be among folks depending on those tools for their livelihood? Maybe Dewalt, Milwaukee, Ryobi, etc power tools should dump swappable batteries and adopt Apple's non-swappable embedded "better idea"?? Lol.
    If battery powered power tools lasted 10 to 12 hours, they wouldn't be removable. I consider myself a heavy user on my Passport and I always make it well past my work days end.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-16 06:54 AM
    I think they've done that partially for the design - they can probably make the phones slimmer with an integrated battery. But also, as has already been mentioned, battery performance degrades over time and the average person is not going to try to replace an integrated battery themselves or take it somewhere to have it replaced, they'll just buy a new phone. And OEMs make more money when people buy more phones.

Posted from my Q10 via CB10
    09-25-16 07:16 AM
    Some of us use our phones for more than Facebook and games. When your out in the field or just doing work, the last thing you want is to plug in or even have a portable charger hanging off your phone. Going from 0 to 100% in 10 seconds is still the best way for power users and you can only do that with a removable battery.

mod9 and skstrials like this.
    09-25-16 11:19 AM
    From what I have seen, LG is the only phone maker giving people like me what they truly want, that's why the V20 is my future phone.

Avenzuno likes this.
    09-25-16 11:22 AM
    Some of us use our phones for more than Facebook and games. When your out in the field or just doing work, the last thing you want is to plug in or even have a portable charger hanging off your phone. Going from 0 to 100% in 10 seconds is still the best way for power users and you can only do that with a removable battery.

Exactly! Can't add or take away from your post.

Funny, I was just looking at the V20 myself and thought this is the phone for me should the Mercury come with the embedded battery, of which is more than likely.
    Posted via CB10
    09-25-16 11:28 AM
    I think it's more to do with the capacity of a integrated battery vs removable

I asked this question during the Insider Event, a couple years ago...

http://helpblog.blackberry.com/2015/04/experts-answer-38-of-your-burning-questions-about-blackberry-classic/

As you can read, BB itself attributes only 15% additional capacity to the embedded battery configuration.

Much more than 15% additional capacity in BB's embedded battery devices needs to be there as added margin precisely because the battery can't be swapped when drained. It had to be sized for some maximum expected rigorous day. That means you're carrying and handling unnecessary weight and bulk on less rigorous days.

My single greatest complaint of my Classic is its size and weight. Significantly attributable to its battery being oversized because it can't be swapped when drained!

My exquisitely ergonomic 9900, in contrast, achieves a great part of its lightweight compact form by employing a compact battery sized for a minimal day. Expecting that more rigorous days may require a batt swap mid-day. Or, a larger battery can be readily fitted for hard use days while preserving ability to restore compact OEM form, by fitting OEM battery, on less demanding days.

I frequently fit a monster sized aftermarket 5000mAh into my 9900 that reliably provides several DAYs of normal use endurance. It adds thick to the form so I typically restore compact OEM battery when possible but I, personally, find the shelf on the back to actually aid secure grasp. My single handed thumb speed demonstrably improves thanks to that shelf. Unlike fitting external battpacks or wires to the usb port.

In fact, thanks to a strategy of powering mostly thru batt swaps, my 9900's usb port hasn't been plugged in for years! TRUE wireless freedom!!
    Last edited by idssteve; 09-27-16 at 03:50 PM.
    anon(6038817) likes this.
    09-27-16 02:29 PM