I don't agree with the flat keys. I guess they think it's better for the capacitive keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    From what has been said, they are not flat. They have sculpted surface, but not as much as the old Bolds, or Q10.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-17 12:27 AM
    I don't agree with the flat keys. I guess they think it's better for the capacitive keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    Holy moly, how many times does this have to be repeated. Bla1ze used to reply to these comments but have obviously gotten tired of it, so I'll help out. THEY ARE NOT FLAT.

I thought the same thing at first glance too, but have since read what people have said so I realized this fact...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    01-10-17 09:45 AM
    Just finished watching one of the first hand on videos, the guy said the phone is thick. Hope the dimension is not final
    I guess you would rather a smaller battery so your phone can be used as a bookmark?

PJD642 and mushroom_daddy like this.
    01-10-17 09:46 AM
    He means it was thick compared to the latest thin phones. It looks to me to be thicker than the DTEKs, about the same thickness as the PRIV, but thinner than the Classic.
    Don't see a problem with that. Classic is not too thick to use and is comfortable. So if it's the same thickness or less then it's fine. I never understood the whole "thinner, Thinner, THINNER!!!11" trend now-a-days. What purpose does it serve? I'm not saying phones should be huge, but once it's thin enough, any thinner is just overkill and useless because it limits the battery size and makes the phone harder to hold...

mushroom_daddy likes this.
    01-10-17 09:48 AM
    From what has been said, they are not flat. They have sculpted surface, but not as much as the old Bolds, or Q10.

Posted via CB10
    Not to mention, the sculpted surface is clear, that's why they look flat, the keys are painted underneath and are clear themselves.

01-10-17 09:49 AM
    Holy moly, how many times does this have to be repeated. Bla1ze used to reply to these comments but have obviously gotten tired of it, so I'll help out. THEY ARE NOT FLAT.

I thought the same thing at first glance too, but have since read what people have said so I realized this fact...

I don't care what anyone says. The keys in the video are FLAT. It is an plain as day. Maybe they will change this before final release but I have eyes.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-17 10:14 AM
    I don't care what anyone says. The keys in the video are FLAT. It is an plain as day. Maybe they will change this before final release but I have eyes.

Posted via CB10
    I think you may need glasses for those eyes. Lol.

Roland Quandt's hands on with the Mercury-bbkeyboard.jpg

Look at the angles of highlight on the right side keys. That does not happen on a flat key.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-17 10:21 AM
    Okay now I agree after looking at some other photos. The promotional video that was posted clearly had different keys on it.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-17 10:30 AM
    This image gives a pretty clear indication that the keys have a raised profile and are not simply flat.
    Attached Thumbnails Roland Quandt's hands on with the Mercury-mercury-keys-profile-2.jpg  
    01-10-17 10:30 AM

Posted via CB10
    Ok, so I guess you know better from watching videos than people who have handled it themselves.

01-10-17 10:45 AM
    Okay now I agree after looking at some other photos. The promotional video that was posted clearly had different keys on it.

Posted via CB10
    The promotional "video" was a render. Not an actual phone, it was all done on a computer...

01-10-17 10:46 AM
    The promotional "video" was a render. Not an actual phone, it was all done on a computer...

Then it was a bad render because the shape of the keys has been a signature feature of BlackBerry phones for 20 years.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-17 11:49 AM
    Then it was a bad render because the shape of the keys has been a signature feature of BlackBerry phones for 20 years.
    Maybe if the video render had been done by BlackBerry, there would have been more attention paid to the shape of the keys, but it`s a TCL render of what is now a TCL phone.
    01-10-17 11:53 AM

This. And as stated already, people who used it mentioned the keys aren't flat.
    01-10-17 11:57 AM
    Maybe if the video render had been done by BlackBerry, there would have been more attention paid to the shape of the keys, but it`s a TCL render of what is now a TCL phone.
    If BlackBerry were releasing it, there would have been no render. TCL is basically betting that they can sell what BlackBerry cannot sell. Let's pull up a chair and see!

Posted via CB10
    01-10-17 12:03 PM
    If BlackBerry were releasing it, there would have been no render. TCL is basically betting that they can sell what BlackBerry cannot sell. Let's pull up a chair and see!
    Selling Mercury devices is what TCL had to agree to get the licencing rights to BlackBerry's software. What they are betting on is how they can now use BlackBerry's name and software to be more profitable selling their own new TCL devices..
    01-10-17 12:20 PM
    Selling Mercury devices is what TCL had to agree to get the licencing rights to BlackBerry's software. What they are betting on is how they can now use BlackBerry's name and software to be more profitable selling their own new TCL devices..
    Do you really think that selling this was a stipulation and that they would not actually really want to do so in order to attract the corp/govt niche first (as they have said they want to) and that they actually are eager to make a PKB that is well received? You made it sound like they are being forced to sell this last hurrah PKB and then they can just stick with slabs. Might be the case, I suppose, but I am not sure.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-17 12:25 PM
    What is going to be the price by the way...no one is talking about this!

Posted via CB10
    01-10-17 12:30 PM
    Licensing means you are paying for the brand. TCL IS BlackBerry devices.
    01-10-17 12:31 PM
    Source?
    01-10-17 12:31 PM

Posted via CB10
    This has not been released yet. Have to wait until MWC

Posted via CB10
    01-10-17 12:36 PM
    Both Steve Cistulli and Jason Gerdon of TCL have said that they are focusing on enterprise customers and building their relationship with carriers over the next few years.
    01-10-17 12:37 PM
    Licensing means you are paying for the brand. TCL IS BlackBerry devices.
    We don't know the details of BlackBerry's licensing agreement with TCL. What we do know is that in early December, when Marty Beard said BlackBerry was no longer in the hardware business and he was discussing their pending software licensing agreement, he said "This is like Intel inside, BlackBerry inside".
    01-10-17 12:56 PM
    Prem bet badly on Chen if Chen needs to rely on another management team to sell Blackberry branded devices.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-17 01:33 PM
    I am very excited about the mercury release. I was on a fence for Dtek60 but I an glad that I waited. I'll be waiting for pre-order!

Posted via CB10
    01-10-17 01:34 PM
106 12345