Why are people putting too much importance on a bunch of hands on videos?? This is not a review - it is nothing more that 2-3 minute video quickly talking about a phone so that it can be quickly posted on youtube. It is like asking for my aunt to go to a carrier store and asking her to quickly tell me about a phone that she can only touch & examine in 2-3 minutes.
    Quandt did say it was a "quick and dirty" look at the phone; he did not pretend or imply it was a detailed review. I found it an interesting video and am very interested in the phone.
    01-09-17 04:12 AM
    Nice video which makes my mouth water. I will buy the phone for sure even though I still prefer the BB OS on my Passport.
    01-09-17 06:20 AM
    The video's made at the CES are first impressions. First impressions are VERY important. As they say: you can never make a second first impression. All the first impressions were very positive. If they were all bad, TCL could might as well cancel further development.
    01-09-17 08:03 AM
    The one thing I've been looking for in all these reviews and haven't seen yet is if there's a RGB notification LED....

And fingers crossed for Verizon to carry it!
    01-09-17 08:19 AM
    The one thing I've been looking for in all these reviews and haven't seen yet is if there's a RGB notification LED....

And fingers crossed for Verizon to carry it!
    There is an LED - as to whether it's red or rgb is to be seen. But since this is a very customised device, I would suspect the latter.

DTEK60 / Z30
    PJD642 likes this.
    01-09-17 08:27 AM
    I'm on the same boat... i have the priv and the kb is ok but not fantastic for my hands... the passport kb was great... i hope this device will sport a nicer version than priv, bigger and soft... well, few more weeks to go, hopefully we get some more leaks in the meanwhile...

To me the most important comment by far: "(the keyboard) is a bit bigger than the Priv 's"

In the beginning of the video. He seemed very positive about the pkb which of course is the sole reason to buy the device.
    01-09-17 08:50 AM
    This is the device Chen should have released instead of the tiny slider keyboard on the Priv. This looks great and has a nice retro vibe to it for people that want to show it off. (Yes, these keyboard are retro now in 2017.)

Of course, no one will ever know it exists so no one will buy it and then we can all say that people hate the Blackberry brand and don't want physical keyboards.
    01-09-17 02:28 PM
    This is the device Chen should have released instead of the tiny slider keyboard on the Priv. This looks great and has a nice retro vibe to it for people that want to show it off. (Yes, these keyboard are retro now in 2017.)

Of course, no one will ever know it exists so no one will buy it and then we can all say that people hate the Blackberry brand and don't want physical keyboards.
    Marketing and distribution is 100% up to TCL. BlackBerry is out of it entirely.

TCL is trying hard this year to enter the NA market, and I suspect will push fairly aggressively. They already have carrier support apparently.
    01-09-17 02:40 PM
    Marketing and distribution is 100% up to TCL. BlackBerry is out of it entirely.

TCL is trying hard this year to enter the NA market, and I suspect will push fairly aggressively. They already have carrier support apparently.
    What incentive would TCL have to market this device if it is branded "Blackberry"? I guess they might profit by increasing unit sales, but they would not increase their visibility in the North American market. Instead, they would be spending money to increase Blackberry's visibility and its new software's visibility. That does not compute for me.
    01-09-17 03:03 PM
    What incentive would TCL have to market this device if it is branded "Blackberry"? I guess they might profit by increasing unit sales, but they would not increase their visibility in the North American market. Instead, they would be spending money to increase Blackberry's visibility and its new software's visibility. That does not compute for me.
    TCL paid big bucks for the licencing of the Blackberry brand. They obviously feel they can leverage that. Perhaps they will use the Alcatel name for consumer devices and the Blackberry name for enterprise-grade devices.

DTEK60 / Z30
    kitmo likes this.
    01-09-17 03:27 PM
    TCL paid big bucks for the licencing of the Blackberry brand. They obviously feel they can leverage that. Perhaps they will use the Alcatel name for consumer devices and the Blackberry name for enterprise-grade devices.

DTEK60 / Z30
    Doubt it
    01-09-17 03:55 PM
    Doubt it
    Doubt what?

DTEK60 / Z30
    01-09-17 04:17 PM
    They profit much more then BlackBerry would on device sales. It's their harsware. BlackBerry will simply receive a small (likely) licence fee per device sold. And it's in TCL's best interest to bring visibility to the BlackBerry software. It could mean more device sales for TCL.
    01-09-17 04:25 PM
    Doubt what?

DTEK60 / Z30
    I'm don't think he is grasping the licencing structure.
    01-09-17 04:27 PM
    I think there may be a few who don't grasp it.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-17 04:59 PM
    I think there may be a few who don't grasp it.

Posted via CB10
    Is it per unit built? Or per unit sold? Or is it a one time fee?
    01-09-17 05:38 PM
    Is it per unit built? Or per unit sold? Or is it a one time fee?
    Probably a combination of fixed fee + variable fee. But the exact details of the deal are confidential.
    01-09-17 05:47 PM
    I didn't know Chen went the full Monty with whoring out the Blackberry brand. OK, now I sort of believe him that he is dropping handsets. Since this was a BlackBerry designed phone I thought that it was more involved.

Wouldn't it be hilarious if TCL launched a big marketing campaign and sold 50 million of these?

Posted via CB10
    01-09-17 06:45 PM

Wouldn't it be hilarious if TCL launched a big marketing campaign and sold 50 million of these?

Posted via CB10
    That would make BlackBerry very happy. They make money off the licencing, and the hardware business today is very low margin.
    01-09-17 06:51 PM
    It might make them happy because it would show that their brand has value. But also it would show that a company CAN sell physical keyboard BlackBerry phones if they market them properly.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-17 07:07 PM
    It might make them happy because it would show that their brand has value. But also it would show that a company CAN sell physical keyboard BlackBerry phones if they market them properly.

Posted via CB10
    It will be very interesting indeed.
    01-09-17 07:10 PM
    I don't agree with the flat keys. I guess they think it's better for the capacitive keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-17 08:50 PM
    Just finished watching one of the first hand on videos, the guy said the phone is thick. Hope the dimension is not final
    01-09-17 09:00 PM
    Just finished watching one of the first hand on videos, the guy said the phone is thick. Hope the dimension is not final
    That just means a bigger battery.
    01-09-17 09:01 PM
    He means it was thick compared to the latest thin phones. It looks to me to be thicker than the DTEKs, about the same thickness as the PRIV, but thinner than the Classic.
    01-09-17 09:52 PM
106 1234 ...