I pulled out an old Samsung S7 yesterday and it updated to Oreo with an Android Security Patch March 1 2019. it'll be really unfortunate if the KeyOne is already mothballed. The KeyTwo would only have another year at best then so buying the current device is already half way over.
    04-22-19 08:21 PM
    Sorry conite, but all four means all four. I thought you were a numbers guy?

So KeyONE is part of Android Enterprise - but not really. And only less 1/3 of the total updates it's supposed to receive? Something is a bit off, wouldn't you say?

Maybe the "typo" was BBMo putting the KeyONE on their...sorry Google's...Android Enterprise list in the first place. Inconvenient to say the least, if you bought one thinking that it being on said list amounted to anything.
    Very disappointing and needs to be clarified! I would hope Bla1ze can clear this up quickly as this has ramifications for us all and perhaps the very viability of BlackBerry.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    04-22-19 08:26 PM
    Sorry conite, but all four means all four. I thought you were a numbers guy?

So KeyONE is part of Android Enterprise - but not really. And only less 1/3 of the total updates it's supposed to receive? Something is a bit off, wouldn't you say?

Maybe the "typo" was BBMo putting the KeyONE on their...sorry Google's...Android Enterprise list in the first place. Inconvenient to say the least, if you bought one thinking that it being on said list amounted to anything.
    BBMo said 2 years of security patches with 1 letter upgrade.

Enterprise Recommended says 3 years of security patches with 1 letter upgrade.

Right now, all we have is a splash page from Rogers. Bla1ze is seeking clarification.
    04-22-19 08:29 PM
    Hoping over to conclusions is way funner though :-)
    04-22-19 08:38 PM
    BBMo said 2 years of security patches with 1 letter upgrade.

Enterprise Recommended says 3 years of security patches with 1 letter upgrade.

Right now, all we have is a splash page from Rogers. Bla1ze is seeking clarification.
    Is inclusion in the Android Enterprise program a recommendation only? Non enforceable? Does that make any sense? Conite you have quoted on many threads that 3 years of updates with enterprise is what we all get with the Keys! Now you're suggesting it was just a "recommendation" ? Not at all how you came across!
    Jake2826 likes this.
    04-22-19 08:38 PM
    All important questions that BBMo is going to have to face up to if they expect people to think their affiliation with the program means anything at all.
    My take on BBMo is that they are “minimalists” doing the least amount in keeping things afloat. Heaven forbid if they ever came out informing their customer base as to what is going on. Hasn’t happened yet (that I’m aware of) so don’t see it happening here. My suspicions are we’re going to see another rendition of “Silent Night” play out with the KEYone.
    Last edited by Elky64; 04-22-19 at 09:02 PM.
    04-22-19 08:40 PM
    Is inclusion in the Android Enterprise program a recommendation only? Non enforceable? Does that make any sense? Conite you have quoted on many threads that 3 years of updates with enterprise is what we all get with the Keys! Now you're suggesting it was just a "recommendation" ? Not at all how you came across!
    The program is called "Enterprise Recommended" - recommended devices, carriers, EMM solutions, etc.
    04-22-19 08:44 PM
    The program is called "Enterprise Recommended" - recommended devices, carriers, EMM solutions, etc.
    Meaning exactly what? Not bound to 3 years of updates?
    04-22-19 08:45 PM
    Meaning exactly what?
    See for yourself:

https://www.android.com/intl/en_ca/e...e/recommended/
    Last edited by conite; 04-22-19 at 08:57 PM.
    04-22-19 08:47 PM
    Couldn't even find the 3 year commitment, must have missed it. I and many others did however take you at your word and expertise regarding 3 years of updates. Well, let's wait and see what Bla1ze comes back with. Cheers,
    Jake2826 likes this.
    04-22-19 09:04 PM
    Couldn't even find the 3 year commitment, must have missed it. I and many others did however take you at your word and expertise regarding 3 years of updates. Well, let's wait and see what Bla1ze comes back with. Cheers,
    I read the requirements of Enterprise Recommended and reported it. I didn't invent anything. If they don't plan to hold themselves to it, or if Google chooses not to enforce it, don't blame me. Jeepers.

At the end of the day, these companies can do anything they want.
    04-22-19 09:09 PM
    I read the requirements of Enterprise Recommended and reported it. I didn't invent anything. If they don't plan to hold themselves to it, or if Google chooses not to enforce it, don't blame me.
    Not blaming you Conite. It was however a very convenient selling point, sold me on my K1 and K2. We shall see,
    04-22-19 09:10 PM
    As a Rogers customer who is not ready to buy a new phone ( especially the KEY2 which is already a year old) I would appreciate any info Blaize and Conite can get for us, specifically if they think that "manual" updates are possible on these phones. I know there are several posts on how to do that, but super simple instructions for us neophytes going forward would be wonderful- specific to the Rogers locked versions. Would unlocking the phone help??
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    04-23-19 04:13 AM
    I read the requirements of Enterprise Recommended and reported it. I didn't invent anything.
    No, but you do seem to keep insisting that it’s not a meaningless marketing ploy. The whole program was suspect from the beginning, and it’s becoming more apparent as time goes on that this list has zero value.
    elfabio80 and Jake2826 like this.
    04-23-19 04:52 AM
    No, but you do seem to keep insisting that it’s not a meaningless marketing ploy. The whole program was suspect from the beginning, and it’s becoming more apparent as time goes on that this list has zero value.
    I guess we'll find out as soon as someone becomes non-compliant.
    04-23-19 05:06 AM
    It's always from initial product release by the OEM.

The question is either it's 24 months as stated by BBMo (which is now), or 36 months as can be inferred from the Enterprise Recommended program.
    The KeyOne Black Edition was released after the original model so hopefully support will be provided for two years after release of this model and not from release of the original silver unit?
    04-23-19 06:47 AM
    The KeyOne Black Edition was released after the original model so hopefully support will be provided for two years after release of this model and not from release of the original silver unit?
    I don't think there is an exemption because of a colour variation. Usually that is not the case.
    Makaveli@Beta likes this.
    04-23-19 07:06 AM
    I guess we'll find out as soon as someone becomes non-compliant.
    I don't think Google reevaluates the list until the next Android update.... so KEYone might stay on the list until Android Q gets released.

But for now... might be that Roger's just took BBMo at their word and are expecting updates to end at two years. Hopefully Bla1ze gets some feedback.....
    04-23-19 07:07 AM
    I don't think there is an exemption because of a colour variation. Usually that is not the case.
    Thanks for the quick response there was an increase in ram so I'm hoping the hardware upgrade might work in our favour... As others have said buying a Key2 red edition might not be a great investment if it's support time is aligned with the original Key2 release date...
    04-23-19 07:10 AM
    Thanks for the quick response there was an increase in ram so I'm hoping the hardware upgrade might work in our favour... As others have said buying a Key2 red edition might not be a great investment if it's support time is aligned with the original Key2 release date...
    There is no logical reason to continue producing KEYᵒⁿᵉ updates for the black (or bronze) edition and withhold it for the silver. The software is identical.

Same goes for all models of the KEY².
    04-23-19 07:16 AM
    There is no logical reason to continue producing KEYᵒⁿᵉ updates for the black (or bronze) edition and withhold it for the silver. The software is identical.

Good point... Makes the red edition Key2 an unwise purchase given the price point then... They should decrease the price on a monthly basis based on remaining support time... I know, wishful thinking...
    04-23-19 07:19 AM
    Good point... Makes the red edition Key2 an unwise purchase given the price point then... They should decrease the price on a monthly basis based on remaining support time... I know, wishful thinking...
    We're still getting ahead of ourselves - it's a single word, from a single carrier.
    Makaveli@Beta likes this.
    04-23-19 07:21 AM

What about financial reason? What if BBMo has to pay BlackBerry Ltd. for every device updated? Might be why they don't always update every PRD run every month... trying to stagger payments.

But I agree... they'll lump all KEYone into the same product cycle.
    Elky64 likes this.
    04-23-19 07:49 AM
    Would unlocking the phone help??
    Phones are no longer locked to a carrier (in Canada).
    04-23-19 08:13 AM
    We're still getting ahead of ourselves - it's a single word, from a single carrier.
    And it may be months before we find out, because history has already shown a tendency for BBMo (and BlackBerry for that matter) and carriers to point the finger at one another on this issue.

I seriously doubt Rogers would unilaterally end support for the KeyONE though. Especially if other Canadian carriers weren't looking to follow suit. That would be a very dumb move by Rogers as it would reflect badly on their commitment to support all Androids, not just BlackBerry.
    Elky64 likes this.
    04-23-19 08:22 AM
365 1234 ...