https://nokiapoweruser.com/nokia-ta-...certification/ Maybe people are realizing that keyboards are a good thing? Between the Keyone and Keytwo, the Samsung qwerty cover and this, things are looking up
    12-23-17 03:07 PM
    Unfortunately, that Nokia is not gonna be an Android smartphone, you can just tell by the 1:1 screen. I know, I got excited too. I also thought Nokia was leaning on qwerty, but this gonna be another "dumb" phone. The only real qwerty (Android) smartphone, as of now, remains the KEYone.
    12-23-17 03:19 PM
    Agreed. but it's something. I'm thinking it'll be something like an Asha. not a smartphone but a decent feature phone
    12-23-17 03:29 PM
    Eh, I guess. But if someone needs a dumb phone with a full qwerty, might as well buy a BB10 device or even BBOS.
    12-23-17 03:45 PM
    yes and no. it all comes down to app support. the only reason I've stopped using my passport is due to apps I needed either crashing after updates or stopped working. same with Symbian.
    12-23-17 07:05 PM
    yes and no. it all comes down to app support. the only reason I've stopped using my passport is due to apps I needed either crashing after updates or stopped working. same with Symbian.
    Right, but what I was saying is if someone needs a feature/dumb phone, and there's a used BB10 device around, why not use that instead? App support sucks, but it can still do more than a feature phone, which is too limited by definition.

Bottom line: If you only got 60$ to spend on a phone, that BB10 device from a few years ago will still do more than the brand spanking new dumb phone of today.
    maverrick and neoberry99 like this.
    12-24-17 02:55 AM
    it's a wish that I too wish would come along, keep assuming that the big boys like Summy, LG, Lenovo and Huawei could toy around with one, a "Test the Physical Keyboard Arena" project .... a hobby project per say.
    12-24-17 05:24 AM
    it's a wish that I too wish would come along, keep assuming that the big boys like Summy, LG, Lenovo and Huawei could toy around with one, a "Test the Physical Keyboard Arena" project .... a hobby project per say.
    They honestly could, especially Samsung. They even bothered making a FLIP phone running Android for the Chinese market.

So still waiting for a qwerty device from them, we all know they have enough revenue to take a small risk with it, and honestly it could be worth looking at
    12-24-17 06:21 AM
    I've seen that flip phone for the Korean market. it's an interesting piece of tech. there's a android flip phone for tracfone too by ZTE. I say more diversity is a good thing.
    neoberry99 likes this.
    12-25-17 11:09 AM
    Right, but what I was saying is if someone needs a feature/dumb phone, and there's a used BB10 device around, why not use that instead? App support sucks, but it can still do more than a feature phone, which is too limited by definition.

Bottom line: If you only got 60$ to spend on a phone, that BB10 device from a few years ago will still do more than the brand spanking new dumb phone of today.
    Feature phones have better battery life and use far less data than smartphones generally do, some users can probably get away with charging their feature phone just once or twice a month.

It also helps that a new QWERTY phone you buy today would still be supported by the OEM/warranty while a BB10 QWERTY device likely isn't.

If this is running on KaiOS from FireFox it could be a good upgrade option for BBOS users, especially in emerging markets.
    12-25-17 12:55 PM
    Feature phones have better battery life and use far less data than smartphones generally do, some users can probably get away with charging their feature phone just once or twice a month.

It also helps that a new QWERTY phone you buy today would still be supported by the OEM/warranty while a BB10 QWERTY device likely isn't.

If this is running on KaiOS from FireFox it could be a good upgrade option for BBOS users, especially in emerging markets.
    Any chance they are testing the QWERTY market with this one? Could they experiment with a mid-range Android QWERTY device following this? Even if it's for other markets? (One can always import)
    12-25-17 12:58 PM
    Any chance they are testing the QWERTY market with this one? Could they experiment with a mid-range Android QWERTY device following this? Even if it's for other markets? (One can always import)
    Anything's possible, HMD did recently purchase Nokia's old design patents from Microsoft so it would be nice to see some of those old designs revived on Android.

https://www.gsmarena.com/hmd_now_own...news-26433.php
    12-25-17 01:08 PM
    I didn't know that. that would explain why the new Nokia looks so much like an eseries, say the E5 or E6. And speaking of of OS choices, apparently the 3310 4G is going to be running a version of Android called yun os? That os is owned by Alibaba.
    12-29-17 03:21 PM
    The picture of the yellow phone shows a WA button. Qwerty, WA and a browser. Proper email handling? Very close to my needs. The 9800 still hanging around fails on both WA and browsing. So to me the Nokia could be a good alternative.

Posted via CB10
    01-01-18 01:46 PM
    The picture of the yellow phone shows a WA button. Qwerty, WA and a browser. Proper email handling? Very close to my needs. The 9800 still hanging around fails on both WA and browsing. So to me the Nokia could be a good alternative.

Posted via CB10
    The yellow phone is one of the old Asha phones. Ran s40 I think. The newer ones should also have whatsapp
    01-01-18 07:03 PM
    01-02-18 01:05 PM
    Honestly I might look into that new Nokia as a secondary device.

What do you guys think is closer to a real smartphone (does the most) in 2018

-A BB Classic
    -That new Nokia
    01-02-18 01:25 PM
    Honestly I might look into that new Nokia as a secondary device.

What do you guys think is closer to a real smartphone (does the most) in 2018

-A BB Classic
    -That new Nokia
    That's the question isn't it. I still think the Classic is closer, but as time goes by the gap between the Classic and say the Keyone widens. However, for a email, phone and maybe a few more things, this may be a good alternative. I'm just looking for more keyboards though.
    01-04-18 11:08 AM
    That's the question isn't it. I still think the Classic is closer, but as time goes by the gap between the Classic and say the Keyone widens. However, for a email, phone and maybe a few more things, this may be a good alternative. I'm just looking for more keyboards though.
    Well yeah, and there's also the Galaxy Chat B5330, which runs Jelly bean 4.1.2.

As for WhatsApp, not sure whether it'll work longer on a true Android running 4.1.2 or the BB10 runtime of 4.3.
    01-04-18 03:12 PM
    you can install whatsapp android on the classic and still use it. but android 4.1? wow that's a tough call. also I don't see a modern custom rom for that phone.
    01-06-18 12:41 PM
    Motorola is releasing a physical keyboard mod this year,

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbrea...sor-z-ces-2018
    sorgo likes this.
    01-09-18 05:36 PM
    Motorola is releasing a physical keyboard mod this year,

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbrea...sor-z-ces-2018
    Interesting that it got officially backed up by Motorola. I was looking at that mod at indiegogo, but decided to go with K1 instead. Some items there were just not making sense. I liked this design suggestion back in those days: http://i.imgur.com/tWFFEv9.png (feb 17). You can check the whole discussion at https://www.reddit.com/r/Moto_Z/comm...d_mod_is_here/

My long time favorite was Samsung Galaxy Relay 4g (horizontal slider with 5 row keyboard, arrow keys etc...) To be honest, after sticking to K1 since this summer, it's a keeper. The day BB releases KeyTwo, I'll order it But I am concerned that we might not see it this year as they are focused more on color versions (black, bronze).
    Invictus0 likes this.
    01-09-18 06:40 PM
    Interesting that it got officially backed up by Motorola. I was looking at that mod at indiegogo, but decided to go with K1 instead. Some items there were just not making sense. I liked this design suggestion back in those days: http://i.imgur.com/tWFFEv9.png (feb 17). You can check the whole discussion at https://www.reddit.com/r/Moto_Z/comm...d_mod_is_here/

My long time favorite was Samsung Galaxy Relay 4g (horizontal slider with 5 row keyboard, arrow keys etc...) To be honest, after sticking to K1 since this summer, it's a keeper. The day BB releases KeyTwo, I'll order it But I am concerned that we might not see it this year as they are focused more on color versions (black, bronze).
    Neat discussion, cool to see how it evolved.

BBMobile already announced we'll see two new physical keyboard phones this year,

TCL's BlackBerry Mobile has promised to release "at least" two new smartphones in 2018. We're not talking about Bronze Edition-style color variants, either — these will be entirely new devices, and both of the phones BlackBerry Mobile has in mind will pack physical keyboards.
    https://www.engadget.com/2018/01/09/...w-phones-2018/
    01-09-18 07:01 PM
    BBMobile already announced we'll see two new physical keyboard phones this year
    Yay, I missed that one today. Thanks, it's great to hear the good news!
    01-09-18 07:10 PM
    Samsung still has their keyboard cover for the Galaxy. Now that the fingerprint sensor is on the back for the S8 , it actually makes sense.
    01-09-18 07:41 PM
38 12