Well, I finally did it. I spilled an IPA on my keyone. The keyboard works but it is sticky and not quiet anymore. I ordered a replacement keyboard which arrived today. Has anyone attempted this replacement with ease? I searched YouTube and could only find one video and the guy was literally mangling the keyboard out. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am pretty good at repairs as I have replaced many screens and other parts from previous BB's. I want to get this right as current conditions have everything closed in my area. Thanks in advance for any help!
    the_boon likes this.
    03-19-20 05:28 PM
    Hi @jdelvalle56

If it's anything like the Key2 or Passport, it's easy.

Here is a video from Jerryrigeverything which shows a partial teardown.

And here is a complete Key2 Teardown

You start with the back cover, and then work your way towards the front. The keyboard is screwed in. You should not need to remove the battery or screen.

On the Key2, the keyboard also has a bit of glue in addition to the screws securing it. Once the screws are removed, a thin razor blade can be slid between the keyboard and the frame to slice through the glue.

I'm not sure if this applies to the Keyone.

Here is the Key2 teardown thread here which includes detailed photos including the keyboard glue I mentioned.

https://forums.crackberry.com/showth...1#post13276704
    the_boon likes this.
    03-20-20 01:46 PM
    Thanks for the help! I found another post in the forum after some digging around. I'm pretty sure I can pull this off but I may wait until things get back to normal in case I am unsuccessful. I'll deal with the clickiness and occasional stick. One thing that concerns me is the replacement keyboard looks a little suspect. Kind of rough at the top. Almost like it was pulled from another device. If I were confident enough that my existing keyboard would stay intact when removing I would go for it.
    03-21-20 07:56 PM
    Must admit I took mine to a local shop (not so easy I guess if you have lockdown where you are?) and they did it easily for me, and I had to persuade them to take any money for it!

I'm impressed by your good taste in what to spill on your phone... ;-)
    03-26-20 06:15 AM