I'm running naked. The phone has a case.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    FF22, RoseBud68 and bcfour like this.
    09-27-17 03:14 PM
    The main reason to use a case with the Blackberry Keyone... The Keyone is a fragile phone. I dropped mine and shattered the screen. That has never happened with any Blackberry I've ever owned, ofcourse the Keyone is not build by Blackberry. I'm back to using my Classic until I can find a way to fix my screen.
    09-27-17 03:42 PM
    The main reason to use a case with the Blackberry Keyone... The Keyone is a fragile phone. I dropped mine and shattered the screen. That has never happened with any Blackberry I've ever owned, ofcourse the Keyone is not build by Blackberry. I'm back to using my Classic until I can find a way to fix my screen.
    Why do people keep coming to this conclusion? It's so foolish...

"I've dropped phones before, never cracked... I dropped keyone, cracked... therefore, the keyone is fragile.."

Nah man... it's a certain percentage every time... you beat the odds most times... but not this time... that's all it is...
    FF22 likes this.
    09-27-17 04:29 PM
    I received both oem flip case and oem dual layer shell today. Both are excellent quality and I would recommend either. For people who prefer to go without a case, a holster is a great way to minimize drops. Turtleback holster for Samsung Galaxy S7 is a perfect fit for the naked KeyONE.
    09-27-17 04:58 PM
    To:

-Looks different in the 2017 sea of slabs, why hide it
    -Rugged back is comfortable
    -Premium feel in hand that case kinda ruins
    -Already a thick phone
    -Seems built like tank

Not to:

-The phone cost each of us at least 550 $ so too early to risk it
    -Rugged back is way too slippery in the real world
    -protruding camera looks vulnerable in the case of repeatedly putting the phone down over the months (this plagues most phones these days)
    -Aluminum sides super slippery (like most phones anyway)
    Not to:

-Antennagate (hate to say it, but the K1 has it and it's a big problem it seems).
    09-27-17 05:03 PM
    Not to:

-Antennagate (hate to say it, but the K1 has it and it's a big problem it seems).
    Not to use a case? Thought using a case helped reception in some instances? I've been rocking the KEYone since June 2nd and have not experienced a dropped call. Call clarity, however, is not as good as my Passport or Classic. What "Antennagate" problems have you experienced with your KEYone?

Sent from my BlackBerry KEYone - the most elegantly productive, secure, and utterly satisfying mobile device
    09-27-17 08:54 PM
    Not to use a case? Thought using a case helped reception in some instances? I've been rocking the KEYone since June 2nd and have not experienced a dropped call. Call clarity, however, is not as good as my Passport or Classic. What "Antennagate" problems have you experienced with your KEYone?

Sent from my BlackBerry KEYone - the most elegantly productive, secure, and utterly satisfying mobile device
    In this case, the OP considered the scenario not to use your phone naked (i.e., use it with a case).
    09-28-17 12:08 AM

This:

And many more YouTube videos.

I use a case, so not a big deal for me.

Cheers.
    09-28-17 12:11 AM
    The reason why older blackberries were tanks (and most smartphones of that time) is because they had plastic construction, as opposed to the glass everywhere of today. Swap the KEYone's original glass screen with a plastic version of it (if that existed) and you've got yourself a TANKone
    09-28-17 12:54 AM
    The reason why older blackberries were tanks (and most smartphones of that time) is because they had plastic construction, as opposed to the glass everywhere of today. Swap the KEYone's original glass screen with a plastic version of it (if that existed) and you've got yourself a TANKone
    If you don't mind millions of scratches all over it including on the screen then yes, that is a perfect solution. Those old phones were only plastic so manufacturers could rake it higher returns. Once iPhone came out that all changed...as did customer expectations for a device costing hundreds of dollars.
    09-28-17 08:17 AM
    Also weight is mistakenly associated with "tankness". The K1 is heavy because it has a large battery. It is not an indicator of durability.
    09-28-17 08:33 AM
    If you don't mind millions of scratches all over it including on the screen then yes, that is a perfect solution. Those old phones were only plastic so manufacturers could rake it higher returns. Once iPhone came out that all changed...as did customer expectations for a device costing hundreds of dollars.
    Solution to scratches on the body: Skin like Dbrand for example

Solution to scratches on the screen:
    Plastic screen protective film, of course!

Problem solved
    09-28-17 08:43 AM
    Also weight is mistakenly associated with "tankness". The K1 is heavy because it has a large battery. It is not an indicator of durability.
    You're right. Actually, weight reduces tankness when it comes to drops, since the weight of the object is it's worst enemy if dropped.
    09-28-17 08:44 AM
    Solution to scratches on the body: Skin like Dbrand for example

Solution to scratches on the screen:
    Plastic screen protective film, of course!

Problem solved
    Plastic on top of plastic. Gotta love it. Cheap on cheap.

Ever go to someone's house where they still have plastic covers on 20 year old couches and lamp shades? Lol.
    FF22 likes this.
    09-28-17 08:48 AM
    Plastic on top of plastic. Gotta love it. Cheap on cheap.

Ever go to someone's house where they still have plastic covers on 20 year old couches and lamp shades? Lol.
    Tempered glass screen protector.
    Glass on plastic. Best of both world as you get no screen breakage, and your finger doesn't touch plastic.

Problem solved
    09-28-17 09:02 AM
    Tempered glass screen protector.
    Glass on plastic. Best of both world as you get no screen breakage, and your finger doesn't touch plastic.

Problem solved
    So glass on plastic...so it feels like glass?

Not sure what that accomplishes. Plastic can definitely shatter, crack, etc. depending in the formulation. So can the screen protector, for that matter.

Something like Gorilla glass...which actually is glass...is a lot closer to the best of both worlds than putting tempered glass on a plastic screen. But if that is what you prefer...not meaning to be critical...knock yourself out.
    09-28-17 09:10 AM
    So glass on plastic...so it feels like glass?

Not sure what that accomplishes. Plastic can definitely shatter, crack, etc. depending in the formulation. So can the screen protector, for that matter.

Something like Gorilla glass...which actually is glass...is a lot closer to the best of both worlds than putting tempered glass on a plastic screen. But if that is what you prefer...not meaning to be critical...knock yourself out.
    All I'm saying is I would rather deal with an entirely plastic built phone which I don't HAVE to immediately cover up with a glass + screen protection, than the fragile all glass devices that come out these days. Companies are ridiculous with these edge displays...dropped your S8? Prepare to pay upwards of 200$
    09-28-17 09:15 AM
    Whether or not to use a case, and when to use it, is a very personal thing based on how a person uses their phone. I've owned several BBs and have tried pretty much every case that comes along. The look and feel of BBs is so d**n good that I prefer to use them without a case and carry them in a sleeve. Depending on the danger of the situation I'll slip on a Ringke smoked case, a flip case or even put it in a Pelican case. One thing I never do is walk down the street with it in my hand, or even take it out of my pocket while I'm walking without being very careful and aware of what it's going to hit if I should drop it. Following this one rule will probably eliminate 90% of phone drops.

Just as an aside, and pertinent to other threads on CB - one day I did slip my KeyOne out of the sleeve and dropped it unprotected onto my kitchen tile floor. There was virtually no damage to the phone, except for a small scuff on the bottom right corner. Also the screen didn't pop out.

I realize I was very lucky and it very much depends on how a phone lands as to whether or not it's damaged and by how much. It could have been much worse - but it does attest to the durability and quality build of the KeyOne.

One positive aspect of not using a case is that it makes you aware of the feel and weight of the phone in your hand and also makes you more careful each time you use it.
    FF22 likes this.
    09-28-17 09:58 AM
    I miss the days when my BlackBerry could bounce happily off concrete without breaking. Didn't need a super responsive screen, my trackpad did it all. 9860 was awesome.

Behold, my thumbs have spoken.
    09-28-17 12:16 PM
    I miss the days when my BlackBerry could bounce happily off concrete without breaking. Didn't need a super responsive screen, my trackpad did it all. 9860 was awesome.

Depends on the drop. I knew someone who had their Bold slide off their dashboard and got stuck with a cracked screen down the entire front face for half a year. Good old corporate issued devices. Lol.
    09-29-17 09:28 AM

Buy the BlackBerry Classic, my most durable phone.
    09-29-17 12:36 PM
    got the ringke smoked black tpu case for 8$ on amazon. its great! good fit. bulky in the right way, the phone feels like the "active" keyone with it on. liking it so far better than naked. naked felt a bit slippery
    09-29-17 05:52 PM
    You have control... turn it off or turn it on. But if I had a dollar for every person with a BB10 issue where they lost all their data and had never considered backing up their phone or had not done it in months.... I'd be a rich person.
    The problem with any Cloud or backup system, unless you have control to see exactly what is being backed up, where it is being backed up, and know yourself what needs to be backed up.

There were issues with BB10 backup, especially with the calendar - despite doing a FULL backup, certain events were not backed up. It was assumed they were backed up on a server and therefore were not backed up.

No backup solution can be considered viable, unless it is tested - unfortunately most people do not have a 2nd device that they can test on and the deficits are only discovered upon restore (or after an event).

I ran into this with my BB10 device (despite having a full backup) and my wife encountered similar on her iOS device with missing text messages.

Most phone backup software takes the data and stores it in a preparatory format, without any ability to view what is in that backup with out additional 3rd party software.

Backups, regardless if Cloud based or other, unless it has been tested withing your particular setup/configuration you really don't know if a restore is going to bring your device back to its original state.
    FF22 likes this.
    09-30-17 09:56 AM
48 12