So the BlackBerry KEYone comes with a quick charge 2 charger. I wanted to take advantage of the faster charging that is possible with quick charge 3 so I went ahead and bought a couple of anker chargers and the proper cables.

After my testing, the so called 3.0 chargers make absolutely no difference. I plug the phone in, set a timer for 30 minutes and walked away from it. At the end of the 30 minutes, the BlackBerry charger added 27% to the battery and the Anker 3.0 chargers both added 26%.

I'm pretty disappointed with this. I remember reading the claims of adding 50% in around 30 minutes worth of charging. I'm not seeing how that can be possible. Unless that is with the phone powered off.

My OPO with a Raspberry pi power adapter charged faster than the BlackBerry KEYone is so far.

Has anyone else done similar testing? If so please share your results. Also, should the KEYone have a onscreen notification to let you know it is connected to a quick charger? Other phones do that.
    simplyBB likes this.
    06-04-17 08:59 AM
    I think BlackBerry charger also has QC 3.0 too. 50% in 36 minutes during Boost Mode maybe.

Posted via CB10
    06-04-17 09:03 AM
    The remaining battery needs to be below like 50% for the turbo charging to kick in and then slows down as it gets closer to a full charge. My car works the same way at the supercharger stations.

Also, I believe the screen needs to be off as well but not 100% certain. I know this is the case with the Galaxy S8 and S8+.
    06-04-17 12:33 PM
    It has to be from zero.
    06-04-17 01:04 PM
    If I am following the thread correctly, there are settings for when the boost kicks in. I have changed mine.
    06-04-17 01:22 PM
    [QUOTE=Witmen;12905757]I remember reading the claims of adding 50% in around 30 minutes worth of charging. I'm not seeing how that can be possible. Unless that is with the phone powered off.

It doesn't add 50%, it charges to 50% in about 30 mins and it works great. I tried it the other day when it got to around 15% Has to be in boost mode and as noted above, you can adjust in settings although I have not played with settings. Probably wouldn't want boost operating past 60% anyway but that's my bias.
    06-04-17 01:31 PM
    [QUOTE=MidCan PM;12906166]
    I remember reading the claims of adding 50% in around 30 minutes worth of charging. I'm not seeing how that can be possible. Unless that is with the phone powered off.

It doesn't add 50%, it charges to 50% in about 30 mins and it works great. I tried it the other day when it got to around 15% Has to be in boost mode and as noted above, you can adjust in settings although I have not played with settings. Probably wouldn't want boost operating past 60% anyway but that's my bias.
    Was their claim that it will charge from 25% to 50% in 30 minutes? Because even with the boost mode on and the battery at below 50% (it was at 19) the phone still only gained 26%. The first test I did with an Anker charger used boost mode from well below the half way point.

Have you tested it for yourself yet?

Once my current charge drains I will retest the BlackBerry charger and make sure that boost mode is enabled.
    06-04-17 01:41 PM
    [QUOTE=Witmen;12906185]

Was their claim that it will charge from 25% to 50% in 30 minutes? Because even with the boost mode on and the battery at below 50% (it was at 19) the phone still only gained 26%. The first test I did with an Anker charger used boost mode from well below the half way point.

Have you tested it for yourself yet?

Once my current charge drains I will retest the BlackBerry charger and make sure that boost mode is enabled.
    Hmmm. I don't know about official claims but my read-through led me to believe it would charge to 50% in about 30 mins. And it did for me.

From 15% to 50% in like 34 mins or something like that. Used it Friday. Used charger in box.

??? Sorry can't help more because it seems like you're doing everything right. It worked for me.
    Witmen likes this.
    06-04-17 01:54 PM
    [QUOTE=MidCan PM;12906200]

Hmmm. I don't know about official claims but my read-through led me to believe it would charge to 50% in about 30 mins. And it did for me.

From 15% to 50% in like 34 mins or something like that. Used it Friday. Used charger in box.

??? Sorry can't help more because it seems like you're doing everything right. It worked for me.
    Cool and thanks, I'm thinking that it's the Anker chargers not putting out as much as they're advertised too. Like I said, next test I'll do the oem charger and make certain that boost moder is on.

It's weird looking forward to a battery draining lol
    06-04-17 01:59 PM
    QC3 isn't a lot faster than QC2, but certainly runs cooler and is more efficient.

https://blog.blitzwolf.com/what-is-q...-chargers.html
    Witmen likes this.
    06-04-17 02:17 PM
    QC3 isn't a lot faster than QC2, but certainly runs cooler.

https://blog.blitzwolf.com/what-is-q...-chargers.html
    Keeping it cooler is definitely true. The oem charger made the phone noticeably warmer the Anker chargers did. Thanks for the link
    06-04-17 02:20 PM
    So the BlackBerry KEYone comes with a quick charge 2 charger. I wanted to take advantage of the faster charging that is possible with quick charge 3 so I went ahead and bought a couple of anker chargers and the proper cables.

After my testing, the so called 3.0 chargers make absolutely no difference. I plug the phone in, set a timer for 30 minutes and walked away from it. At the end of the 30 minutes, the BlackBerry charger added 27% to the battery and the Anker 3.0 chargers both added 26%.

I'm pretty disappointed with this. I remember reading the claims of adding 50% in around 30 minutes worth of charging. I'm not seeing how that can be possible. Unless that is with the phone powered off.

My OPO with a Raspberry pi power adapter charged faster than the BlackBerry KEYone is so far.

Has anyone else done similar testing? If so please share your results. Also, should the KEYone have a onscreen notification to let you know it is connected to a quick charger? Other phones do that.
    The boost mode really works, I've been using it since I bought my keyone over a month now. I think you need to use boost mode when you need quick charge. But for some strange reason I think boost mode makes the phone a bit hotter than normal charge, so if you encounter that heat from your phone it's caused by the quick charge.
    06-04-17 02:40 PM
    I am doing it now, the numbers aren't perfect but it's close enough. Using the original charger, plugged in boost mode in at 4pm with 10%, it's now 4:38 and now it's 46%. Phone is pretty warm now too.
    Witmen likes this.
    06-04-17 03:35 PM
    That's 33% in 35 minutes, so you got basically the same charge rate I am experiencing.
    06-04-17 03:42 PM
    Hit 50% at 4:41 and automatically switched to regular charging mode.
    06-04-17 03:42 PM
    Hit 50% at 4:41 and automatically switched to regular charging mode.
    If you can, please keep track of how long the next 40% takes. In my testing so far, boost mode didn't make much of a difference, but I also had used different chargers for the tests.
    06-04-17 03:46 PM
    That's 33% in 35 minutes, so you got basically the same charge rate I am experiencing.
    I get roughly the sample recharge time by plugging my BlackBerry KEYone into my desk lamp USB port using the BlackBerry cable in the box.
    06-04-17 04:48 PM
    Boost mode from 4 pm, 10% to 100% at 5:55.
    Witmen likes this.
    06-04-17 04:55 PM
    .... But for some strange reason I think boost mode makes the phone a bit hotter than normal charge, so if you encounter that heat from your phone it's caused by the quick charge.
    That would be because Boost mode reduces the power consumed by the phone's processor, allowing more energy and more heat to be concentrated in the charging circuit and battery.
    06-04-17 05:00 PM

Did you read this? You can compare KEYone to any phone on the market today.
    http://www.phonearena.com/news/Black...re-out_id93989
    06-04-17 05:06 PM
    Keeping it cooler is definitely true. The oem charger made the phone noticeably warmer the Anker chargers did. Thanks for the link
    That's interesting since the standard QC2 charger is limited to lower voltages and currents than QC3 chargers.

The phone has better control over the higher voltages and currents used by QC3 chargers, so that may help make the overall process more efficient, wasting less power and keeping the phone cooler.
    06-04-17 05:09 PM
    Small questions.. will using my Pixel XL chargers (google original charger) will be ok and take QC2 or 3?

Thanks
    06-04-17 07:40 PM
    Small questions.. will using my Pixel XL chargers (google original charger) will be ok and take QC2 or 3?

Thanks
    The Pixel XL uses a USB-C PD (Power Delivery) charger and while it has similar specs to a QC2 charger it is not a QC2 charger.
    06-04-17 08:46 PM
    Which charger will be the best?
    06-05-17 05:56 AM
    USB-PD *can* deliver far more wattage (up to 100W!) than QC3.0, but in actual use it doesn't in a phone environment. QC3.0 is a true variable-voltage (rather than "step-function") charging specification, and when connected to a phone is likely to return more available charge with less heating in a given amount of time, all things being equal.
    rolfep likes this.
    06-05-17 07:01 AM
29 12