I am going to Seattle for work this week. I was going to have a KeyOne shipped to the office I will be visiting there. A few questions:

1. Is the GSM Unlocked version the same as the once sold by Canadian carriers?
    2. What about a warranty claim? Will I be ok dealing with a warranty claim in Canada?
    3. I was going to do BestBuy.com, but it seems they have 11.5% tax. But it seems I don't get charged any tax when buying from Amazon... so I guess I'll go that route. Potential issue that is that it ships from TCL USA, not Amazon, and says arriving Auth 3-8... I leave morning of 8th, so potentially could miss it... Anyone have experice with how fast TCL ships?
    4. Anything else I should beware of?
    07-29-17 04:49 PM
    Yes.

2. What about a warranty claim? Will I be ok dealing with a warranty claim in Canada?
    US/Canada should be fine. Anywhere else, it becomes problematic.

3. I was going to do BestBuy.com, but it seems they have 11.5% tax. But it seems I don't get charged any tax when buying from Amazon... so I guess I'll go that route. Potential issue that is that it ships from TCL USA, not Amazon, and says arriving Auth 3-8... I leave morning of 8th, so potentially could miss it... Anyone have experice with how fast TCL ships?
    You shouldn't really cut it so close.
    07-29-17 04:53 PM
    You shouldn't really cut it so close.
    Guilty.

I just happened to sell my S7 Edge today, so just decided to pull the trigger an hour ago. I ordered it, and we'll see. If it doesn't show up until the 8th, I'll have office ship it to me and I'll have to wait another week. No ideal, but will be proper punishing for poor planning.
    07-29-17 05:00 PM
    Guilty.

I just happened to sell my S7 Edge today, so just decided to pull the trigger an hour ago. I ordered it, and we'll see. If it doesn't show up until the 8th, I'll have office ship it to me and I'll have to wait another week. No ideal, but will be proper punishing for poor planning.
    Good luck! Hope it works out.
    07-29-17 05:29 PM
    I look forward to hear / read about it all works out for you.
    07-29-17 05:32 PM
    I am going to Seattle for work this week. I was going to have a KeyOne shipped to the office I will be visiting there. A few questions:

4. Anything else I should beware of?
    Welcome to our fair city.

Plan on it being very hot this week: high 80's to 98F (thurs). 36C. I shall be miserable!
    07-29-17 08:59 PM
    I'll let you know how it pans out.

It has be 30 to 38C here for the last two weeks. But prairie dry. Humidity kills me. Thanks for the heads up, I'll pack accordingly.
    07-29-17 09:35 PM
    I'll let you know how it pans out.

It has be 30 to 38C here for the last two weeks. But prairie dry. Humidity kills me. Thanks for the heads up, I'll pack accordingly.
    Well, what is unusual is that for a coast city (not the ocean but Puget Sound) we are generally not humid but it happens.
    07-29-17 11:49 PM
    Guilty.

All the best. A hopeful point is that things I have ordered from Amazon often come earlier than expected. The wording is to cover themselves in case there is a hitch. This has happened with 3rd party shipments. I don't know about TCL though. So I HOPE you get it before you leave. ☺ let us know. I will be rooting for you.
    07-30-17 12:50 AM
    Welcome to our fair city.

Plan on it being very hot this week: high 80's to 98F (thurs). 36C. I shall be miserable!
    Sound balmy and cool compared to the Salem Or area. Be glad you didn't have to come here. They are talking 109f (43c) Wed. and 42c on Thurs. More like Arizona.
    07-30-17 01:05 AM
    if you have it shipped you may end up paying duty. I had to pay duty on the KEYone I won from CBK as it came from the states.
    07-30-17 02:19 AM
    Yeah, I know all about the duty. However when I was hired, and the office sent me an almost new macbook, somehow I never got dinged on duty. I was shocked. They never marked it in any special way either, just fedexed it to me.

My order is marked as 'preparing for shipment now'. From what I can tell it ships from Dallas. Dallas to Seatt should be quick I would think, as they are both hubs.

Interestingly TCL no longer shows the KeyOne on their Amazon page.... hopefully that doesn't mean backorder... IIRC it was showing 17 in stock when I ordered, so hopefully no delays, and I get a tracking number today.
    07-31-17 01:33 PM
    I emailed their amazon support line. They told me it will ship out Wednesday! 3 full business days for them to ship. I guess that is why when I shop on Amazon, I generally have the 'prime' filter on at all time, because I am impatient. But no I am spoiled on handling times.

Edit: got fedex tracking info last night. Fedex says it ships out of Bloomington, CA, and is scheduled to be delivered on Monday! Woot! Originally when I saw CA, and Fedex, I thought it will be there aby Thursday. But the shipping method is Fedex Smart Post (we don't have that in Canada), which uses USPS for the final residential delivery.
    Last edited by snowsquirrel; 08-01-17 at 10:58 AM. Reason: shipping update
    07-31-17 08:23 PM
    Oh man, I just realized that they shipped FedEx SmartPost!!! If you buy from TCL on Amazon.com be aware that they are sluffing shipments off with SmartPost.

If you don't know what SmartPost is, just google it, and read commentary from all the people who love SmartPost. Basically, it's like tucking a parcel into Forrest Gump's pockets and telling him to run to the target address. Yeah, he can actually run LF, but he may decide to take a route around the continent before he stumbles across his destination.

My parcel is going to Seattle, and it seems most of the SmartPost nightmares occurr with rural destinations... so I am thinking my odds are 50/50 it get delivered when they say.
    08-01-17 06:57 PM
    if you have it shipped you may end up paying duty. I had to pay duty on the KEYone I won from CBK as it came from the states.
    I won the dtek50 Contest and I didn't have to pay duty at all!? What gives?
    08-01-17 07:18 PM
    So the update:
    I phoned USPS to see if they could hold device when they got it from FedEx, so I could go pick it up, as I was so worried about the horror stories I had hear about SmartPost. But they couldn't do anything until Fedex delivered it, so they said callback. Thursday I go a notification to saying it was going to be delivered on Saturday. So I was I am in the clear, this is great. As I landed in Seattle friday I got a notification saying USPS got it that morning, and it was already out for delivery, so it was waiting for me at office Friday at noon. Air Bnb I rented was hot AF when I checked in Friday night (as FF22 warned), so I walked to corner store bought some local beer, sat on deck and setup new phone, while cottage cooled off. Pretty great experience. (So much great local beer, here and this phone is sweet.)

I guess a mini-review is in order?:
    For context: I went candy bar, no phone for 5 years, palm centro, Javelin (bb8900), iphone 4, htc One X, Bold (2011 model), then gave up on BB, then z10, then z30, then Priv, then gave up again and did S7E.

I really thought I would hate the glossy keyboard (based on looks), but it feels great. And this keyboard for typing is amazing, great feel. I have had a few BB's, and I think I liked the PP keyboard best, but hated how it was 2 hand only. Kills the priv (that was worst bb keyboard I have used). Screen is great, OS is great, speaker great.

I would have to say that this is the best keyboard I have owned. Even the vibration, feels like Rolls Royce purr: sounds stupid, but when it vibrates, there is a quality feel to it. The most premium feeling phone I have owned, but maybe s7e and iphone 4 were on same level. Headphones and charge cable are premium, even better that what iPhone ships with.

Priv and HTC would be tied for worst phones. Javelin seems to have a special place in my heart and I don't think I have truly loved a phone and felt like there were no comprises since.... iphone 4 was maybe closest, z30 was close but app gap was already a killer then. I have always wanted a no comprimise keyboard phone again since the Javelin. I don't even know that I type better on them, but maybe it is tied to nostalgia for the Javelin, maybe becuase VKB's suck for typing symbols, I don't know. But anyway, this could be the one.

I am using hub, with slack, 3 emails, and not noticed lag. I also have not noticed an apps being closed (in background) because of 3GB of ram; I was really watching for it, because I was on a loaner S5 with 2GB of ram, and it was constantly closing apps on me.

There are tonnes of reviews other there that give real details, but this one is really just based on emotion and feel. I am usually in love with new devices even if my gut is giving warnings (htc, priv, Z__), and then reality kicks in about a month later. But I think I can safely say this will be in my top 3 lifetime phones for me. Likely #1 unless it starts to slow down, or I finally decide that VKBs are where it's at.

I should also mention that I got the Ringke case mentione a number of times on this site. I fits tight, is truly minimal. I do wish I could go naked, but I know I drop phones often, especially when getting used to them, and often when travelling (think walking and maps). I dropped phone perfectly face down on asphalt today, and not a scratch, so the lip of case protected it. For $9.99, it is nice. I usally work out of home, so once back home, I may try going naked around the house... yeah that sounds bad.

Anyway, hope this info helps someone. If you are on fence after this review, feel free to PM me in a couple weeks and see if I am still enamoured.

Cheers,

~S
    Last edited by snowsquirrel; 08-06-17 at 03:06 AM.
    FF22 likes this.
    08-06-17 02:39 AM
    So the update:
    I phoned USPS to see if they could hold device when they got it from FedEx, so I could go pick it up, as I was so worried about the horror stories I had hear about SmartPost. But they couldn't do anything until Fedex delivered it, so they said callback. Thursday I go a notification to saying it was going to be delivered on Saturday. So I was I am in the clear, this is great. As I landed in Seattle friday I got a notification saying USPS got it that morning, and it was already out for delivery, so it was waiting for me at office Friday at noon. Air Bnb I rented was hot AF when I checked in Friday night (as FF22 warned), so I walked to corner store bought some local beer, sat on deck and setup new phone, while cottage cooled off. Pretty great experience. (So much great local beer, here and this phone is sweet.)

For context: I went candy bar, no phone for 5 years, palm centro, Javelin (bb8900), iphone 4, htc One X, Bold (2011 model), then gave up on BB, then z10, then z30, then Priv, then gave up again and did S7E.

I really thought I would hate the glossy keyboard (based on looks), but it feels great. And this keyboard for typing is amazing, great feel. I have had a few BB's, and I think I liked the PP keyboard best, but hated how it was 2 hand only. Kills the priv (that was worst bb keyboard I have used). Screen is great, OS is great, speaker great.

I would have to say that this is the best keyboard I have owned. Even the vibration, feels like Rolls Royce purr: sounds stupid, but when it vibrates, there is a quality feel to it. The most premium feeling phone I have owned, but maybe s7e and iphone 4 were on same level. Headphones and charge cable are premium, even better that what iPhone ships with.

Priv and HTC would be tied for worst phones. Javelin seems to have a special place in my heart and I don't think I have truly loved a phone and felt like there were no comprises since.... iphone 4 was maybe closest, z30 was close but app gap was already a killer then. I have always wanted a no comprimise keyboard phone again since the Javelin. I don't even know that I type better on them, but maybe it is tied to nostalgia for the Javelin, maybe becuase VKB's suck for typing symbols, I don't know. But anyway, this could be the one.

I am using hub, with slack, 3 emails, and not noticed lag. I also have not noticed an apps being closed (in background) because of 3GB of ram; I was really watching for it, because I was on a loaner S5 with 2GB of ram, and it was constantly closing apps on me.

There are tonnes of reviews other there that give real details, but this one is really just based on emotion and feel. I am usually in love with new devices even if my gut is giving warnings (htc, priv, Z__), and then reality kicks in about a month later. But I think I can safely say this will be in my top 3 lifetime phones for me. Likely #1 unless it starts to slow down, or I finally decide that VKBs are where it's at.

I should also mention that I got the Ringke case mentione a number of times on this site. I fits tight, is truly minimal. I do wish I could go naked, but I know I drop phones often, especially when getting used to them, and often when travelling (think walking and maps). I dropped phone perfectly face down on asphalt today, and not a scratch, so the lip of case protected it. For $9.99, it is nice. I usally work out of home, so once back home, I may try going naked around the house... yeah that sounds bad.

Anyway, hope this info helps someone. If you are on fence after this review, feel free to PM me in a couple weeks and see if I am still enamoured.

Cheers,

~S
    The smoke is YOUR fault! Well, BC, anyway. Hope you enjoy your time here and continue to enjoy the phone.

And you did better with the USPS than I did. "Signature required, Arriving Thurs. Wait around all day. Routed to Tacoma!!! Never showed. Call, come first thing we will hold it. Nah - not possible to hold. Go home and wait again! Mail generally doesn't come till afternoon. Go for walk. Of course arrives! Not home. But mailman leaves his cell phone number. I call, he comes right back and I sign!"
    08-06-17 10:01 AM
    So the update:

Cheers,

~S
    Nice that the timing worked out for you. I followed this thread just to see if you would receive the device while here. I was rooting for you.

I can imagine your satisfaction, sitting on the deck, setting up the phone. The feeling you have now won't fade. This phone is the One. I was lucky enough to be one of the first recipients in N.A. (ordered via Amazon 5/31) and I'm still completely enamored.

Congratulations and thanks for posting your experience. It is a pleasant read.
    FF22 likes this.
    08-06-17 11:25 AM
    Aha! You got your phone and got a Ringke too. Enjoy your new phone
    08-06-17 02:04 PM