Hello,

Bought a KEYone in the UK via John Lewis, although the phone is being used in the Netherlands. I am a client with provider KPN, but haven't received my August security update yet, while others with the same provider have.

Does anyone know whether this is because of my international purchase? And what to do if not, or if so?

What are general recommendations for getting an update anyway?
    08-22-17 06:27 AM
    Yes it matters.....

Have no idea what John Lewis is.... retailer or carrier? If the phone is a carrier model it will be locked to that carrier update, if it is a factory unlocked then it should receive updates no matter what carrier you use.

Can always try removing the SIM Card and rebooting and connection to Wi-Fi.
    08-22-17 07:58 AM
    Yes it matters.....

Have no idea what John Lewis is.... retailer or carrier? If the phone is a carrier model it will be locked to that carrier update, if it is a factory unlocked then it should receive updates no matter what carrier you use.

Can always try removing the SIM Card and rebooting and connection to Wi-Fi.
    Thank you for your reply.
    John Lewis is just a regular retailer, not a carrier / telecom provider. I bought it without any contract and had no troubles with my Dutch SIM card. This makes me assume it is indeed unlocked?

I did try rebooting after removing SIM, but didn't work either... curious..
    08-22-17 08:38 AM
    I have a CDMA KeyOne that I "won" in the Crackberry meetups, so I assume it is unlocked, issued by Blackberry - I have my Verizon SIM in it and it is working fine with the exception that I have never received any updates, it is still on the April 5th update - AAL093, but I guess I should be happy as I do not have the lack of notification issues that everyone else has been experiencing since the updates post AAL093.
    08-22-17 11:56 AM
    Eventually carrier locked phones will be a thing of the past... hopefully! It's a relic from when phones were purchase exclusively from a carrier to be used on that carrier
    08-22-17 12:01 PM
    I have a CDMA KeyOne that I "won" in the Crackberry meetups, so I assume it is unlocked, issued by Blackberry - I have my Verizon SIM in it and it is working fine with the exception that I have never received any updates, it is still on the April 5th update - AAL093, but I guess I should be happy as I do not have the lack of notification issues that everyone else has been experiencing since the updates post AAL093.
    That's annoying, you would assume it would work okay. Verizon releases security updates right?
    08-22-17 02:32 PM
    They do, but history has shown that anything is possible with Verizon - with the PRIV they were sometimes 3 months behind, but then actually released one before any other carrier. It was hit or miss. My PRIV now is only on the June 5th update...

Got so bad that some actually filed complaints with the FCC....
    08-22-17 02:38 PM
    They do, but history has shown that anything is possible with Verizon - with the PRIV they were sometimes 3 months behind, but then actually released one before any other carrier. It was hit or miss. My PRIV now is only on the June 5th update...

Oh wow, what did they do with your complaint?

And it is inconsistent indeed... is there an underlying problem with it perhaps? That unintentionally not all phones are getting updates?
    08-22-17 02:46 PM
    I got mine from Carphone and still haven't got anything either.
    scott8629 likes this.
    08-22-17 02:48 PM
    Oh wow, what did they do with your complaint?

And it is inconsistent indeed... is there an underlying problem with it perhaps? That unintentionally not all phones are getting updates?
    Nothing, we did get notifications that the Carrier would be contacted and some were.
    Some of us even received contact from VZW but the bottom line was that it didn't violate any FCC rules as they were supplying us with a working device - in the fact that it made phone calls and received texts. Some others on this forum who I believe have since left out of sheer frustration, even went further but not sure what happened.

A few months after that exercise we started receiving Marshmallow.

In the case of Verizon, I do believe it is a lackadaisical attitude and blaming "testing" prior to rolling it out, whether it be a Security update or a full blown OS. This time will be significantly different as they never had carried the KeyOne as a device you could purchase. You could/can only use is as part of their BYOD plan, and even then some things such as Visual Voice Mail do not work, but HD calling does.

Go figure.
    08-22-17 02:55 PM

And it might be time to do so again. I do think we definitely irritated the heck out of them.
    zephyr613 likes this.
    08-22-17 08:05 PM
    I got mine from Carphone and still haven't got anything either.
    Did you submit a support ticker with BlackBerry Mobile or contacted them in any other way? Would be interesting if we all put pressure on BlackBerry Mobile so that they might pressure BlackBerry...
    08-23-17 05:01 AM
    Did you submit a support ticker with BlackBerry Mobile or contacted them in any other way? Would be interesting if we all put pressure on BlackBerry Mobile so that they might pressure BlackBerry...
    Nope, to be honest it doesn't bother me that much. I do get them eventually but its seems to be much later than most.
    itsyaboy likes this.
    08-23-17 05:05 AM
    i bought mine from Selfridge and it's unlocked, but still no August security update. BlackBerry and security don't fit in the same sentence that we'll anymore.
    08-23-17 10:33 AM
    i bought mine from Selfridge and it's unlocked, but still no August security update. BlackBerry and security don't fit in the same sentence that we'll anymore.
    I was told to try this:

If you are not sure which is the latest update, I recommend you to force the update by accessing the Phone app, typing *#*#2432546#*#* - a notification saying “checkin succeeded” should appear in the Notification Area – please access the Updates app and tap on Check for updates.
    Didn't work for me unfortunately..
    08-23-17 10:54 AM