Greetings from Monterrey, Mexico. I got a Blackberry Keyone over the weekend at a flea market, I wanted to have a blackberry for a long time, I used BB long time ago, so I decided to give it a try. I checked the IMEI before buying it, it was not reported. So I contacted AT&T to get the unlock code, but they denied it on the grounds of a due balance from the previous owner. I tried with theunlockingcompany.com, but 24 hours later they told me they politely apologized and told me to try again with them later. My question is then: am I stuck with no way to unlock it or is there a way to get it unlocked, maybe another unlocking company? I really like the phone, the concept, I´d really love to keep it, but if I won´t be able then I´ll have to consider making the investment to get a new one here. By the way, this is the phone´s info: PRODUCT NAME: BBB100-1
    SOFTWARE VERSION ABS664
    HARDWARE VERSION: PRD-63116-036
    CU REF: PRD-63116-036
    04-22-19 08:08 PM
    Unfortunately you purchased a phone stolen from at&t. They have every right to block it from service. Your best hope is to plead your case with them.
    Jose Angel Flores likes this.
    04-22-19 08:26 PM
    Unfortunately you purchased a phone stolen from at&t. They have every right to block it from service. Your best hope is to plead your case with them.
    Or the guy just couldn't afford the bill. Either way who ever allegedly stole the phone will still owe the company the money.
    04-22-19 08:32 PM
    Try a different company. Some will process it either way. Probably will never be able to use it on AT&T though.
    04-22-19 08:33 PM
    it's almost like if you bought a loaf of bread and it was locked to jiffy peanut butter. but the guy who bought the bread only ended up paying for half of the loaf. now that you have it and only have kraft peanut butter can't make a sandwich.
    04-22-19 08:37 PM
    Or the guy just couldn't afford the bill. Either way who ever allegedly stole the phone will still owe the company the money.
    That is the most likely scenario, thus making the phone stolen.
    04-22-19 08:39 PM
    That is the most likely scenario, thus making the phone stolen.
    Usually when you steal something you don't owe the person the value of the item.
    04-22-19 08:50 PM
    thus it's not stolen
    04-22-19 08:53 PM
    I checked the IMEI, it´s not stolen at all, there´s a bill from the person who owned the phone, but not about the phone.
    04-22-19 09:01 PM
    Whoever had the device prior sold the device. They figured why pay off the device or trade it in when I could just sell it and get the cash.

Unfortunately it leaves the next owner with the baggage.
    04-22-19 09:03 PM
    Thanks. I am in Mexico and my intention is to unlock it, but I am wondering whether it will be too much trouble and maybe I am better off getting a new one.
    04-22-19 09:03 PM
    Try a different company. Some will process it either way. Probably will never be able to use it on AT&T though.
    Thank you. I will give it a try with another unlocking company. I really like the phone!
    04-22-19 09:04 PM
    Usually when you steal something you don't owe the person the value of the item.
    Try phrasing it this way. When you haven't paid for something and kept or sold it, you stole it.

I checked the IMEI, it´s not stolen at all, there´s a bill from the person who owned the phone, but not about the phone.
    If the phone was clear, then they wouldn't have a problem unlocking it for your use, nor would the unlock company.

Thanks. I am in Mexico and my intention is to unlock it, but I am wondering whether it will be too much trouble and maybe I am better off getting a new one.
    If there's the possibility of returning it, that would be best for you. I'm gonna guess that's unlikely, but ya never know.

Thank you. I will give it a try with another unlocking company. I really like the phone!
    Be fantastic for you if it works!
    04-22-19 09:59 PM
    Thank you all for your prompt responses and comments!! This forum is really alive!!
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    04-22-19 10:48 PM
    Thank you all for your prompt responses and comments!! This forum is really alive!!
    Mostly zombies really, with mad typing skills.
    04-22-19 11:36 PM
    Try phrasing it this way. When you haven't paid for something and kept or sold it, you stole it.

If the phone was clear, then they wouldn't have a problem unlocking it for your use, nor would the unlock company.

If there's the possibility of returning it, that would be best for you. I'm gonna guess that's unlikely, but ya never know.

Be fantastic for you if it works!

This is NOT a stolen phone.

This is a device on an AT&T Next plan and the original account is past due. It's that simple. It might be $2, $20 or $200. We don't know.

The phone is "clear" - it's not blacklisted. That's different.

Credit & collections issues happen all the time. every day. This is honestly the day to day of some att employees. You can stop with the scare tactics.

If I remember properly, I don't think they can give you details on how past due this is because of privacy issues on the other account and I don't think they pull up acct # based on IMEI - difficult to keep track of with devices often being lent to spouses, boyfriend/girlfriend, parents, children, friends, etc.

Additionally , ATT Mexico and ATT USA are running off of different billers that don't really talk to each other.

Here are your options as I see it:
    - get the original owner to pay off the balance. (Simplest from a technological perspective)
    - get the original owner to give you past due details on the account, the account number and you pay (inadvisable due to payment prioritization: you'll pay both device cost and the monthly service most likely)
    - get an ATT usa plan with North American roaming (they will eventually detect in a month or two that you're more than 50% full time in MX)
    - go to a different cell phone unlock store (not a carrier store)
    - most carriers don't unlock competitor devices. In some cases, they may try, but there are often technology limitations.
    04-23-19 12:16 AM
    This is NOT a stolen phone.

This is a device on an AT&T Next plan and the original account is past due. It's that simple. It might be $2, $20 or $200. We don't know.

The phone is "clear" - it's not blacklisted. That's different.

Credit & collections issues happen all the time. every day. This is honestly the day to day of some att employees. You can stop with the scare tactics.
    Scare tactics? Who am I trying to scare? If the phone is no longer the property of at&t, but the bill not paid, then they shut off services. The practice as you describe it would have been challenged in court by now, and they would easily lose.

Hopefully it is not blacklisted, and an unlock company can then unlock it, as I said. Since one already declined the OP's business, until proven otherwise, I have to presume it is.

If I remember properly, I don't think they can give you details on how past due this is because of privacy issues on the other account and I don't think they pull up acct # based on IMEI - difficult to keep track of with devices often being lent to spouses, boyfriend/girlfriend, parents, children, friends, etc.
    Exactly! They can't provide details, therefore we are here guessing the issue. For all we know, the phone was lost or stolen, and the owner requested the lock.
    mandony likes this.
    04-23-19 08:14 AM
    learn a lesson and don't buy BB from unknown source - being stolen or carrier locked... and DO NOT steal a BB - (besides use as spare parts, not much up side if BBID locked)...
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    04-23-19 11:58 AM
    Scare tactics? Who am I trying to scare?
    Maybe he took your name a little too seriously....
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    04-23-19 01:29 PM
    it's almost like if you bought a loaf of bread and it was locked to jiffy peanut butter. but the guy who bought the bread only ended up paying for half of the loaf. now that you have it and only have kraft peanut butter can't make a sandwich.
    It is exactly nothing like that.
    04-24-19 08:57 AM
    It is exactly nothing like that.
    Yeah I didn't get it either... I might prefer Jiffy (I don't) over Kraft... but in a pinch, peanut butter is peanut butter.

It's more like you bought a used jar of peanut butter (who would do that) and once you got home and dipped some you see it has gone bad... then you can't make a sandwich.

Car references always work so much better...
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    04-24-19 09:09 AM
    Yeah I didn't get it either... I might prefer Jiffy (I don't) over Kraft... but in a pinch, peanut butter is peanut butter.

It's more like you bought a used jar of peanut butter (who would do that) and once you got home and dipped some you see it has gone bad... then you can't make a sandwich.

Car references always work so much better...
    Yup. It's like you bought a car from a sketchy dealer, only to find out that it was stolen. Then you get pulled over, and the car is confiscated, and you're left with no car.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and BigBadWulf like this.
    04-24-19 09:12 AM
    Scare tactics? Who am I trying to scare? If the phone is no longer the property of at&t, but the bill not paid, then they shut off services. The practice as you describe it would have been challenged in court by now, and they would easily lose.

Hopefully it is not blacklisted, and an unlock company can then unlock it, as I said. Since one already declined the OP's business, until proven otherwise, I have to presume it is.

Exactly! They can't provide details, therefore we are here guessing the issue. For all we know, the phone was lost or stolen, and the owner requested the lock.
    You say the phone is not blacklisted, but for ATT they will not unlock it since the account is in arrears and ATT only knows the phone may be stolen or the customer is trying to get out of the bill...

I don't believe there is any solution to that device... you may need to buy another one...

OR you can get a VOIP that has a SIP Client and use it that way for phone calls where there is free wifi only...
    04-24-19 12:38 PM
    Yup. It's like you bought a car from a sketchy dealer, only to find out that it was stolen. Then you get pulled over, and the car is confiscated, and you're left with no car.
    It's NOT listed as stolen.

Being not eligible for unlock and being listed as stolen (blacklisted) are two different things.

The more accurate car analogy goes like this:

Owner 1 purchases vehicle with financing.

Owner 1 sells vehicle to owner 2.

Owner 1 does not pay off car note.

Owner 2 goes to get license plate. Department of motor vehicles refuses to issue new title because of prior note.

At no point was the car reported to police as stolen.
    Last edited by IceCreamPlz; 04-24-19 at 02:43 PM.
    04-24-19 02:18 PM
    It's NOT listed as stolen.

Being not eligible for unlock and being listed as stolen (blacklisted) are two different things.

The more accurate car analogy goes like this:

Owner 1 purchases vehicle with financing.

Owner 1 sells vehicle to owner 2.

Owner 1 does not pay off car note.

Owner 2 goes to get license plate. Department of motor vehicles refuses to issue new title because of prior note.

At no point was the car reported to police as stolen.
    I stand corrected. Your analogy is better.
    04-24-19 03:01 PM
27 12