Hi everyone,

I'm waiting to buy the unlocked version of the KeyONE Black here in Canada.

However, I am moving to the United States very shortly.

My plan was to buy the GSM version of the unlocked KeyOne Black in Canada (when it comes out) and use that in the USA.

My friend who lives in the USA tells me Verizon has the best coverage for someone who travels a lot within the US and unlimited data/ability to use for free when visiting back home in Canada.

However, sounds like Verizon is GSM for LTE and CDMA for 3G? Apparently Verizon phones handle both GSM and CDMA. But Blackberry doesn't make one like this right? in the KeyOne Black?

So if I buy a GSM unlocked Canada phone will it work perfectly in the USA on Verizon?

Please help!

Thanks
    10-02-17 07:04 PM
    It won't work. I have the GSM branded keyone BB100-1 and it doesn't work on Verizon, as they won't allow it activate. You need to buy the "V2" edition or CDMA specific version, or you'll need to get T-mobile, ATT, or some other GSM carrier in the states. This has been my experience with verizon and my keyone.
    10-02-17 10:39 PM
    Reich2004 is correct. You can also consider a MVNO carrier as well.
    10-02-17 11:00 PM
    AT&T is just as good in all the major cities in the US. I'm with AT&T and travel a lot from time to time and have not had any issues with service. The KEYone is the only phone i ever owned that shows poor bar service but to date i have not had a drop call.
    10-02-17 11:01 PM
    It won't work. I have the GSM branded keyone BB100-1 and it doesn't work on Verizon, as they won't allow it activate. You need to buy the "V2" edition or CDMA specific version, or you'll need to get T-mobile, ATT, or some other GSM carrier in the states. This has been my experience with verizon and my keyone.
    Is Verizon supposed to be getting the Black version?
    10-03-17 04:13 AM
    Reich2004 is correct. You can also consider a MVNO carrier as well.
    What is an MVNO carrier?
    10-03-17 04:13 AM
    AT&T is just as good in all the major cities in the US. I'm with AT&T and travel a lot from time to time and have not had any issues with service. The KEYone is the only phone i ever owned that shows poor bar service but to date i have not had a drop call.
    Which version could I get in Canada that would work with ATT?
    10-03-17 04:15 AM
    What is an MVNO carrier?
    Like a pay as go carrier like Straight Talk, Cricket, etc...
    Which version could I get in Canada that would work with ATT?
    Canada would used the unlocked GSM version that will already work with AT&T or TMobile not Verizon.
    10-03-17 07:39 AM
    Is Verizon supposed to be getting the Black version?
    No one knows so any answer at this time would be speculation.
    10-03-17 10:13 AM
    Thanks a lot everyone! I still have to decide what to do. Sounds like I should:
    1. Buy the GSM unlocked Black version if I want it right now, but then I am pretty much forced to use AT&T/T-Mobile in the USA.
    2. Wait for the Verizon Black version and use my old phone indefinitely until more news comes from Verizon. The only issue here is it is unknown if it will even EVER come out on Verizon.
    10-03-17 01:26 PM
    Thanks a lot everyone! I still have to decide what to do. Sounds like I should:
    1. Buy the GSM unlocked Black version if I want it right now, but then I am pretty much forced to use AT&T/T-Mobile in the USA.
    2. Wait for the Verizon Black version and use my old phone indefinitely until more news comes from Verizon. The only issue here is it is unknown if it will even EVER come out on Verizon.
    Option 1 is realistic. Option 2 is not likely as Verizon has not carried the KEYone so far.
    10-03-17 02:12 PM
    Option 1 is realistic. Option 2 is not likely as Verizon has not carried the KEYone so far.
    Or we could fantasize that Verizon is holding out for a black one with the extra memory and storage and Qi charging. We can be fairly certain that it would never have a Dual sim slot!
    10-03-17 06:24 PM
    Or we could fantasize that Verizon is holding out for a black one with the extra memory and storage and Qi charging. We can be fairly certain that it would never have a Dual sim slot!
    If you're going to fantasize, give it a dual sim. Heck make it 8gb/256gb while you're at it...
    FF22 likes this.
    10-04-17 07:51 AM
    If you're going to fantasize, give it a dual sim. Heck make it 8gb/256gb while you're at it...
    The size would be fantasy. Verizon and Dual Sim - impossible - no amount of imagination permits that daydream. Although, they do sell their phones unlocked these days (they do not even sell the KeyOne at the moment.) allowing other sims to be used.
    10-04-17 10:30 AM