BlackBerry guy 4 ever. Q10 now, thinking K1, but want the Black 64/4 for ATT here in the USA. Thoughts about this transition, and how I might get the K1?

Posted via CB10
    12-26-17 09:52 PM
    BlackBerry guy 4 ever. Q10 now, thinking K1, but want the Black 64/4 for ATT here in the USA. Thoughts about this transition, and how I might get the K1?

Posted via CB10
    Went Q10 to standard silver Keyone and honesty felt like I'd waited a decade to upgrade. Night and day. Loved my Q10 and used it for four years. It is nowhere near as capable as the Keyone. I love BB10. Don't get me wrong. That phone is just showing it's age.
    chrissycee1975 likes this.
    12-26-17 10:02 PM
    You'll notice a fairly big difference in most aspects of the phone. Obviously being different OS's there's a huge difference in the ecosystem. The speed, battery life etc is superb on KeyONE and I think you'd absolutely be happy with it.
    12-26-17 10:15 PM
    As I said in another thread, it's like coming out of the dark ages. While I still prefer BB10, the differences are huge. I am still getting used to it, but it has been well worth it.
    FF22 and chrissycee1975 like this.
    12-27-17 08:04 AM

Posted via CB10
    There will be a bit of a learning curve for you. Once you get the hang of things you will be satisfied. The KEYone Black Edition 64gb/4gb is available in Canada. I'm not sure if they'd ship it to you over the border.
    12-27-17 10:11 AM
    I used Q10 and held out for silver K1. I miss the efficiency of the Q10 but now all the apps I need work. I added the Amzer poly case and Turtleback leather holster, the 64g card from my Q10 and the K1 is the best phone on the market for me.
    FF22 and chrissycee1975 like this.
    12-27-17 10:16 AM
    I recommend the Ringke case and film for the screen.
    12-27-17 10:25 AM
    I miss the size and the keyboard of the Q10 but I'm definitely loving the keyone.
    anon(4295315) likes this.
    12-28-17 05:07 PM
    How does the Keyone's keyboard compare to the Q10's? Is it a different typing experience?

Posted via CB10
    12-30-17 06:05 AM
    How does the Keyone's keyboard compare to the Q10's? Is it a different typing experience?

Posted via CB10
    Different. Wider which took me a while to adjust. But still pleasant.
    12-30-17 08:14 AM
    The PKB on the K1 feels more solid than the Q10 (although I was quite all right with the PKB on the Q10). At first, I thought it was slightly more narrow (from top to bottom) compared to the Q10 but I can still type as quickly.
    12-30-17 09:21 PM
    The PKB on the K1 feels more solid than the Q10 (although I was quite all right with the PKB on the Q10). At first, I thought it was slightly more narrow (from top to bottom) compared to the Q10 but I can still type as quickly.
    I thought it felt wider.
    12-30-17 09:34 PM
    I thought it felt wider.
    I agree, it's wider from left to right but it feels slightly narrow from top to bottom (in my opinion).
    02-02-18 10:44 PM
    I agree, it's wider from left to right but it feels slightly narrow from top to bottom (in my opinion).
    Yes. I feel like the Q10 felt more comfortable.
    chrissycee75 likes this.
    02-02-18 10:48 PM
    Fingerprint sensor, keyboard gestures and shortcuts to cut and paste a huge productivity boost. But keyboard of q10 better for typing. Overall very glad I made the switch and not just because of the apps. Android has its flaws but has quick access functionality like the notifications mechanism that I find useful.
    chrissycee75 likes this.
    02-03-18 07:15 AM
    The Q10 is my favorite BB10 device. I got a KEYone this week and, while it is certainly different, I consider it an overall improvement.

The capacitive touch features of the keyboard alone add a whole new dimension to the experience. I use it to scroll apps and websites. And double-tap for cursor mode is awesome for editing text.

The keyboard feels different from the Q10, but not in a bad way. It's so much better than the Priv - clicks enough for my liking.

I do miss the BB10 gestures, but assigning the convenience key to open the Hub means I can still easily access it no matter what I'm doing.

Speaking of the Hub, it integrates with so many more apps than BB10 (Telegram, Signal, Slack, etc.) and new integrations are being added all the time.

Oh, yeah. Apps. It's great that BB10 can run Android 4.3 apps, but many of those apps run poorly on it and some not at all. Support for such an old version of Android will continue to dry up.

And as good as BB10 has been on security, it's not so good anymore. Serious vulnerabilities like Spectre, Meltdown, and KRACK have not been patched and there has not yet been any word from BlackBerry, LTD that they ever will. So no matter how secure the phone may have been, it's now plagued with multiple vulnerabilities that compromise that security.

By contrast, the KEYone is actively supported with OS patches and updates that address such security vulnerabilities.

I'm not a big fan of Google or its tracking, but you can minimize how much data they collect by modifying your account privacy settings and being responsible about how you use your phone.

Overall, I think the KEYone is the best choice for people like me who can't stand typing on a screen and still like the iconic look and feel of a BlackBerry device.
    02-03-18 08:15 AM
    If you never used a Passport, the K1 will be a huge improvement over the Q10. For me, it's a spec and functionality improvement over the Passport, but a downgrade in typing experience and screen quality.

Make the switch, you will be very happy.
    02-03-18 10:45 AM
    Did the switch last November. Took me a while to get used to Android. Happy with the decision. Wish it is smaller but then I don't have to zoom as much. No regrets.
    chrissycee75 likes this.
    02-03-18 01:43 PM
    I am also a KeyOne user since some weeks... nice device... yet I do not have the same feeling as I had with the Q10 and the Passport... Android is ok(ish), but for me it is still not the one, I love to use on a daily basis.
    chrissycee75 likes this.
    02-03-18 04:47 PM
    Yes. I feel like the Q10 felt more comfortable.
    I agree. I do kind of miss my Q10. The K1 works much better but...
    02-03-18 04:50 PM
    I agree. I do kind of miss my Q10. The K1 works much better but...
    Do you still have it? I picked mine up and turned it on for the first time since getting my K1. It actually felt like a kids toy.
    02-03-18 05:53 PM
    Yes, I do and I agree: the Q10 felt like a toy compared to the K1. I am still getting used to all of the warning bells and whistles so I miss the simplicity of my Q, but I do appreciate the much-improved functionality of my K1 (I just need more time to get all of the settings to my liking).
    02-03-18 05:56 PM
    3 words. Just do it. Went the Q10 - Classic - K1 way, the experience is amazing. Transition was a piece of cake (having contacts stored in the cloud with e.g. Gmail or Outlook.com accounts certainly helps but even if that isn't the case with you a simple bb transition app can do the job pretty flawlessly). Actually, the only thing I was and still am missing a bit is the Classic's toolbelt with its trackpad, the mother of all productivity tools...but with you skipping the Classic detour and coming straight from Q10, it's going to be even easier for you. That way you can perceive K1's touchpad-like sensitive keyboard as an incredible enhancement whereas former Classic users may sometimes tend to look at it as a not 100pct. replacement of the Classic's toolbelt trackpad.

Only 2 things I really don't like with the K1:

1. Hitting Enter doesn't send a text message and it just can't be set up this way.

2. The touch sensitive keyboard can't be used to move around the BB picture pasword/grid (you could do that with the Classic's trackpad + once positioned pressing the trackpad would unlock the phone... Great for a one handed unlocking process even with gloves on...).
    Last edited by shandy-R2D2; 02-03-18 at 06:25 PM.
    02-03-18 05:56 PM
    At this point it's safe to say that moving to a K1 from all the BB10 phones makes sense. I mean unless you don't have use for the apps which would mean that you are generally having hassles using the workarounds and don't mind; there are so many non-supported apps these days which without would limit basic functionality and rationale for having a modern smart phone.

I guess it's fine if all you care about is some calls,texts, work processing and basic surfing and don't mind what I mentioned above; but I now have two K1 and although it's tempting; I pretty much don't go back to my Passport SE. (Since I got the dual sim this might be factor also )
    02-03-18 08:52 PM
    Don't get the k1 through ATT. Just buy it outright from blackberry.
    02-03-18 11:19 PM
26 12