Ok, herr's a carrier related question ... I have seen reports online that some non-Google Android phones (other than the three offerred on Project Fi's wbsite) will work fine on Project Fi. Altho there's some indication that the automatic carrier switching may not work.

Is there any reason to think an unlocked KEYone would not work on Project Fi?
    04-28-17 02:34 AM
    You'd have to activate it on a compatible device Nexus/Pixel.

Once you move the sim to the KeyOne or other phone that has Tmobile band 12 it will only work as a Tmobile phone as carrier switching won't work, first because of the software component and second because the KeyOne doesn't have the CDMA bands for Sprint. Google may open up Fi officially to other phones at some point but it will only be to phones that have all the Tmobile and Sprint bands.
    04-28-17 02:55 AM
    I see - thanks, much appreciated!
    04-28-17 05:13 AM
    ....first because of the software component and second because the KeyOne doesn't have the CDMA bands for Sprint. Google may open up Fi officially to other phones at some point but it will only be to phones that have all the Tmobile and Sprint bands.
    Eh? The only explicitly announced US carrier for KeyOne is Sprint (re: Crackberry article on US availability which states ("...including Sprint..." The only name mentioned). So KeyOne not working on Sprint is not likely at all.

Sprint LTE: 24, 25 and 41
    Tmobile : 2 , 4 and 12
    Cheat sheet: which 4G LTE bands do AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile and Sprint use in the USA?

Specs from BlackBerryMobility for the v2 US model :

LTE: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 12, 13, 20, 25, 26,28, 29, 30

TDD LTE: 41

CDMA BC 0,1,10

So the v2 model covers everything bandwidth wise needed for Fi. It isn't as broad a Google Pixel phone. ( so the world wide coverage you'd get isn't as good with the areas where get coverage out of the country. ).

Honestly, it is a huge head scratcher why Google wouldn't allow (reward) headset markers who consistently stay on top of the security updates ( e.g.. only 1-3 weeks behind Google) with being added to Fi. That would be a win-win for Fi and Android. [ Blackberry is only software vendor really keeping up so it isn't a large set of devices. :-) ]

But yeah, the software switch between Wifi, Sprint, Tmobile is probably something that Google is only willing to put effort into their own phones on (since they are now in the phone selling business now too.). If Google isn't going to have an "affordable" phone option past dragging along the 5X they need to open up that roll to some 3rd party vendor for Fi to be viable over the long term.
    05-01-17 06:07 PM
    I agree. The advantage of Fi internationally is something I keep hearing pundits on podcasts raving about for their overseas travel. You would think, with BB's business focus that a deal with Fi would be a match made in heaven.
    05-01-17 07:13 PM
    Eh? The only explicitly announced US carrier for KeyOne is Sprint (re: Crackberry article on US availability which states ("...including Sprint..." The only name mentioned). So KeyOne not working on Sprint is not likely at all.
    I think its clear the OP was referring to the non-carrier KeyOne not the model which does not yet have a debut date and would be carrier branded. There are already all US band phones models by Samsung/Moto/Iphone that are not Nexus/Pixel that Google could activate on Fi but chooses not to so I wouldn't buy an all carrier compatible phone looking for this capability in the near future. Google has in recent quarters has been committed on pushing endeavors that are profitable thus the demise of Google Fiber, changes on Youtube etc. Given the corporate overhead on a program like this I doubt Google is eager to put much resources, ie lose money, by expanding it.
    05-01-17 07:28 PM
    I think its clear the OP was referring to the non-carrier KeyOne not the model which does not yet have a debut date and would be carrier branded.
    That isn't clear at all. The OP's carrier of interest is Google Fi. The OP explicitly mentions an unlocked phone ( since Fi is a US only primary service... implicitly a USA unlocked phone). Once again I don't see how your premise flows from the wording from the USA availability announcement at all. Since you seem not to want to actually read it, here is the full relevant quote from Blackberry Mobile.

"In addition to the news related to our BlackBerry KEYone launch in Canada, we can confirm that the BlackBerry KEYone will go on-sale in the U.S. starting on May 31. This will include both GSM and CDMA unlocked variants, with the BlackBerry KEYone also coming to additional carriers – including Sprint – later this summer. We'll have further details to share as we get closer to the end of May."
    Read more at BlackBerry KEYone will go on-sale in the U.S. starting on May 31 | CrackBerry.com

That conjunction 'and' between 'GSM' and 'CDMA' coupled with the word 'both' there means there will be two unlocked phones on May 31. I don't see how someone could conclude otherwise. Since there is only 'v1' and 'v2' listed in the specs at Blackberry mobile for US version phones it is extremely likely that 'v2' is one of those. So the unlocked 'v2' is capable of the Sprint and Tmobile bands as I outlined. Bands on an announced availability US unlocked phone aren't a problem.

That has nothing to do with how long Verizon and Sprint drag they feet in rolling out the phones that they may stamp there names on the outside of. If you look in the "waiting Verizon" thread here you'll see that Verizon customer service reps are already have a script about say unlocked KeyOnes can be brought to the network. Sprint, unless looking forward to handling , FCC complaints probably should be prepping whitelisted CDMA IDs also for unlocked phones. (LTE aspect means unlocked phones can't be blocked long term with extensive tap dancing. )
    Verizon and Sprint will probably take folks as unpaid beta testers (if track the CDMA ids and the quality of service).

There are already all US band phones models by Samsung/Moto/Iphone that are not Nexus/Pixel that Google could activate on Fi but chooses not to so I wouldn't buy an all carrier compatible phone looking for this capability in the near future.
    But either their skinning of Android or security track records or both are suspect. Fi should hang it out as a 'reward'. I don't really expect more than one or two vendors to actually get there. However, that is just want Fi could do. I think Google is making a significant mistake if they trying to turn Fi into a captive Google phone sale volume machine. That's isn't going to work long term (at least with their announced pricing directives). Especially after they nuked Nexus and Nexus price points.

Google has in recent quarters has been committed on pushing endeavors that are profitable thus the demise of Google Fiber, changes on Youtube etc. Given the corporate overhead on a program like this I doubt Google is eager to put much resources, ie lose money, by expanding it.

This is a bit twisted. One of principal failures of Google Fiber was not getting enough subscribers fast enough. Google has to grow the customer base or else Fi will start loosing money (or never make money if it is still in loosing status). With 'Cadillac' priced Pixel phones, that is a straight path to low growth.

Google Fi needs a robust line up of phones to be healthily over the long term. (not 15 phones but more than just one with two different screens and two multiple year older models that are going to run out of OS updates. ) Either Google can pick 1-2 'affordable' phones and do a software addition to them or they can do the full design rollout of those phones themselves ( in addition to the R&D they roll into the 'Cadillac' Pixel line). I strongly suspect that doing 1-2 software mods to exists phones that someone else pays the R&D on is cheaper than doing both the software and the hardware. If is more bang-for-the buck investment... adding software has lower initial capital outlays.

I have a Google Fi phone. There is alot of stuff I like about it. However, I haven't dumped my other phone on a major carrier because Fi seems like one of those projects that Google can't get out of the "prepare to scale" stage. When they dropped Nexus ... that was another "do they have a clue what they are doing" move when it came to Fi. I get the impression they intend to follow the old classic iPhone playbook of selling the 2, 3 year old models at lower prices to hit the lower price point. So perhaps eventually in 2018 Pixel 2018 (high) , Pixel 2017 (med) , Pixel 2016 (low). I don't think that will be competitive on the low/med end.

If I was TCL and Blackberry (the OS part) I'd would do a meeting with the Fi folks. I bet that would have been less 'drama' than they had to go through to talk with Verizon. it may not work (Google doesn't want Fi to succeed all that much), but could be productive.
    05-01-17 10:40 PM
    Being the OP, I can say that it seems to me you both are basically correct.

First, my intent is to not buy from ATT, Verizon, TMobile or Sprint. Or any other carrier. I will buy from whatever retail channel sells an unlocked K1, without carrier launchers & crap, come 5/31. I'm done being screwed over.

Second, I'm thinking Fi would be nice to use as a carrier for my new K1. Innovative, economical, flexible. But, it doesn't sound like it would work for now re auto carrier switching and bands. As I alluded to earlier, IMHO it seens like Fi & K1 would be a good fit together. I feel business folks, especially travelors, would love it!
    05-02-17 02:38 AM

That conjunction 'and' between 'GSM' and 'CDMA' coupled with the word 'both' there means there will be two unlocked phones on May 31. I don't see how someone could conclude otherwise. Since there is only 'v1' and 'v2' listed in the specs at Blackberry mobile for US version phones it is extremely likely that 'v2' is one of those. So the unlocked 'v2' is capable of the Sprint and Tmobile bands as I outlined. Bands on an announced availability US unlocked phone aren't a problem.
    I'm aware of their press release I just don't believe it primarily due to BB never releasing an unlocked CDMA variant before its available by carrier. If I'm Sprint no way I'm happy to have customers trying to bring BYOD before its even available from Sprint stores not to mention their ancient CDMA provisioning system; you can't even do the 'activate sim on current phone transfer sim to new phone' with Sprint. I'll be very surprised if you can get V2 onto Sprint before their own carriers phones are available. FCC won't do squat as long as CDMA carriers have the validation/testing excuse on whitelisting.

But either their skinning of Android or security track records or both are suspect. Fi should hang it out as a 'reward'. I don't really expect more than one or two vendors to actually get there. However, that is just want Fi could do. I think Google is making a significant mistake if they trying to turn Fi into a captive Google phone sale volume machine. That's isn't going to work long term (at least with their announced pricing directives). Especially after they nuked Nexus and Nexus price points.
    Security updates are probably on par with OS updates and BB lags there so its a wash if it matter much at all to Google as far as potential Fi partners.

Google is done chasing the low end market for their phones, there is no money in it. If they thought volume was the answer they'd have kept Moto instead of selling it to Lenovo.

I don't see a bright future for Fi because network coverage is getting better all the time so the carrier switching capability is less attractive. In addition their data buckets aren't competitive in the current market vs other MVNOs such as Metro/Cricket/Mint.
    05-02-17 02:38 PM
    I have the Keyone working on my Project Fi account. Full disclosure, I was using a Nexus 6p, and I understand you need to have an activated sim card, so a device that is an officially Project Fi phone to activate a sim if you have not already. I used a iPhone a while back when I had to replace my 6p for its bootloop issue (no problem since) and the iphone worked to, of course no hangouts or things like that.

So far the Keyone has not lost access to anything, except for visual voicemail. And I can't confirm that Wifi calling works yet. But im not sure if its working now as I don't know how to force test wifi calling.
    06-16-17 11:50 AM