I got used to LG's contact manager and dialer. I've fooled around and discovered that K1/Android 7 has the same productivity. It's just a slightly different way to set it up and use it.

In my case, I had a group--"folder"--of contact widgets set up for quick dialing, and another for quick texting. No need to go into the dialer or the text app. Well, my K1 lets me do the same thing. In fact, it's arguably better. I can pin a contact to the home screen. I can gather multiples into a folder, because that's just pure Android. And even better, I don't need separate folders for call and text; each contact gives me the choice when I select it, either dial it or text it.

Yes, I can assign items to keyboard shortcuts. No question. And for my few regulars, I will do that. For my larger subset of less than but still regulars, they'll get shortcuts on the home screen, gathered into a folder and arranged the way I like them.

And for the occasional people, I will continue to go straight to the dialer or text app.

And to the gentleman who tried his Android K1 for a little bit, decided he just couldn't move from BB10 to Android, and gave it to his son: this is a perfect example of why you should give it some time and explore things. You'll be very surprised how well everything works once you put some effort into it and roll forward with it all. I thought I'd miss the LG-specific goodies, but so far I'm not missing them. Maybe it's BB, maybe it's Android 7, I don't know--but between the two, I can see smoothing out my workflow over the next couple of months (if the cell reception issue gets ironed out and I choose to keep it).
    06-03-17 08:38 AM
    If you enable the BB device search from keyboard input, you can also do things like type "text contact name" or "call contact name" to start a text/call to them. I use this all the time on BB10 and tested that it works on the K1 too.
    06-03-17 09:55 AM
    If you enable the BB device search from keyboard input, you can also do things like type "text contact name" or "call contact name" to start a text/call to them. I use this all the time on BB10 and tested that it works on the K1 too.
    Or for that matter you can just let Google Assistant handle it. "OK, Google, text John Smith."

There's always 12 ways to do whatever you think you want to do, it seems.

But of course, there are plenty of times it's not appropriate to talk to your phone...
    06-03-17 02:26 PM
    OK, here is a MAJOR productivity enhancement for me regarding contacts: finally, the contacts app shows me not only contacts I've actively added to my address book BUT ALSO contacts from my corporate Google account.

We use Google Apps for Business--so that's Gmail, address book, etc. Works great on the computer. But before K1, my Android phone would not let me search for a corporate contact that I hadn't already actively added to my Gmail address book. I had to use a third party app, Corporate Addressbook, and link it to my Google Apps account. IT could search the database, but the Android 6 contacts system couldn't.

It didn't matter whether I used the built-in contacts app, the Google contacts app, or the add-on BB contacts app.

But now, with K1, when I hit the BB contacts app and search, it shows me both what's local to my Gmail account as well as results from my corporate directory, results that I haven't added to my Gmail account.

Android 7 enhancement or BB enhancement? (Don't care, really, as long as it works. That's called productivity.)
    06-04-17 01:27 PM