Hello there,

Surely a similar question has been posted before, but I do wonder a bit more specifically about a couple of apps I use often and I wonder if there is anyone out there using them as well:

Lightroom and Sony Playmemories

I installed Lightroom on a sample Keyone BE and noticed it was not running as smoothly as it does on my Priv. While the scaling was less than perfect, using curves felt a bit laggy by comparison. This is using a standard file from the Keyone's camera and not a 20mp jpeg that I would normally use with Lightroom mobile which is imported via the Sony Playmemories app.

Is anyone else also noticing a lag on their Keyone using Lightroom? Has anyone used the Sony Playmemories app successfully with their Keyone?

I see there are a lot of videos showing Keyone vs Priv and what they almost all do is open apps and then change apps and then go between them seeing which phone refreshes apps faster. I find that relatively dull for a performance test. I'm more interested in actually using the phone keeping some apps open including Firefox with 5-7 tabs open, and youtube, and Lightroom and the hub. Will the Keyone perform better than the Priv once it's loaded up with plenty of emails, messages and other apps in a similar fashion as a well used Priv?

Finally, will the 4GB of RAM on the Black Editon be really worth the difference? I am not talking about the 50 quid difference, but more like 70-100 depending on where you source your standard Keyone.

Thanks in advance,
    10-02-17 04:05 PM
    I suspect your issue is a result of less powerful chipset... most notable the GPU as the 808 can handle about 35% more GFlops than the Adreno 506 in the 625 Chipset.

For generally usage the 625 is able to keep pace with the 808. Gaming and Video editing isn't what the 625 is made for.

Extra 1GB would help if you have a number of Apps open at once...
    10-03-17 12:48 PM
    No phone is made for video or photo editing.. editing photos needs to be done with a keyboard and mouse.
    FF22 likes this.
    10-03-17 01:18 PM
    No phone is made for video or photo editing.. editing photos needs to be done with a keyboard and mouse.
    And a BIG screen.
    Carlito27 likes this.
    10-03-17 01:29 PM
    And a BIG screen.
    Don't let Apple know that....

I agree I'd rather use a powerful desktop, but for shooting photos and then editing them on the fly and posting them to Youtube or some other social media.... it's pretty amazing what and "app" running on good hardware can accomplish.
    10-03-17 02:27 PM
    I remember people saying similar things about taking pictures with a Camera, and browsing the web on their laptop and using an actual GPS location unit 😂

No buddy, not every video or pic requires a whole laptop or desktop to do video and photo editing, Apple and Samsung know that to.
    10-03-17 03:18 PM
    I remember people saying similar things about taking pictures with a Camera, and browsing the web on their laptop and using an actual GPS location unit 😂

No buddy, not every video or pic requires a whole laptop or desktop to do video and photo editing, Apple and Samsung know that to.
    I know what you mean but still.. Editing photos on a phone even tablet with big screen is not really comfortable. Unless he was talking about simple stuff like adding filters, changing contrast..
    10-03-17 03:42 PM
    Don't let Apple know that....

I agree I'd rather use a powerful desktop, but for shooting photos and then editing them on the fly and posting them to Youtube or some other social media.... it's pretty amazing what and "app" running on good hardware can accomplish.
    Oh, Apple knows that. My friend used his very large screen Mac to edit and print commercial images which he sold and displayed at galleries. He did not process them on a phone or his ipad!
    10-03-17 05:01 PM
    I suspect your issue is a result of less powerful chipset... most notable the GPU as the 808 can handle about 35% more GFlops than the Adreno 506 in the 625 Chipset.

For generally usage the 625 is able to keep pace with the 808. Gaming and Video editing isn't what the 625 is made for.

Extra 1GB would help if you have a number of Apps open at once...

Thank you! This is the answer I was looking for. So, there would be no hope of the keyone keeping up for a priv on that specific app running? If that's the case, then I'm sad because I would have loved to go from the Priv to the Keyone.

On the other answers: I don't know why it is assumed I would rely on the phone for editing work. They went off topic rather quick. Lightroom is an app, I like to use it with my Sony camera files when on the go. I would appreciate the longer battery on the Keyone since Lightroom really sucks the battery on the priv. If you need to know, I use capture one for work.

Sadly I won't be able to play with another Keyone for a while. Lost my chance to get one on this trip so maybe next time I'll see how it handles when I get a chance to install playmemories and give it a bit more of a run down with Lightroom and test speed with a bit more patience. Maybe I can live with the perceived lag just for the sake of the battery.
    10-03-17 05:29 PM
    Hello there,

Surely a similar question has been posted before, but I do wonder a bit more specifically about a couple of apps I use often and I wonder if there is anyone out there using them as well:

I installed Lightroom on a sample Keyone BE and noticed it was not running as smoothly as it does on my Priv. While the scaling was less than perfect, using curves felt a bit laggy by comparison. This is using a standard file from the Keyone's camera and not a 20mp jpeg that I would normally use with Lightroom mobile which is imported via the Sony Playmemories app.

Is anyone else also noticing a lag on their Keyone using Lightroom? Has anyone used the Sony Playmemories app successfully with their Keyone?

I see there are a lot of videos showing Keyone vs Priv and what they almost all do is open apps and then change apps and then go between them seeing which phone refreshes apps faster. I find that relatively dull for a performance test. I'm more interested in actually using the phone keeping some apps open including Firefox with 5-7 tabs open, and youtube, and Lightroom and the hub. Will the Keyone perform better than the Priv once it's loaded up with plenty of emails, messages and other apps in a similar fashion as a well used Priv?

Finally, will the 4GB of RAM on the Black Editon be really worth the difference? I am not talking about the 50 quid difference, but more like 70-100 depending on where you source your standard Keyone.

Thanks in advance,
    I downloaded lightroom on my KEYone (original not BE) and played around with it. It actually ran perfectly well. No lag, no hiccups at all. Granted, I probably wasnt using it like you do as I haven't used it before but I did edit several photos and had no issues at all.
    FF22 likes this.
    10-03-17 05:55 PM
    I downloaded lightroom on my KEYone (original not BE) and played around with it. It actually ran perfectly well. No lag, no hiccups at all. Granted, I probably wasnt using it like you do as I haven't used it before but I did edit several photos and had no issues at all.
    i just downloaded now as well to test with a 17mp picture and it ran rather smoothly no lag whatsoever.
    FF22 likes this.
    10-03-17 06:40 PM
    I suspect that storage I/O on the K1 is better than the Priv so that may offset the GPU advantage the 808 has over the 625 SOC for this type of app.
    10-03-17 07:25 PM
    i just downloaded now as well to test with a 17mp picture and it ran rather smoothly no lag whatsoever.
    Thanks for the feedback. What camera did you use to get that file? Nothing with the MP, more interested in where the file came from because different cameras compress jpegs differently.
    10-05-17 07:42 AM
    I tried another KEYone at a different store and I noticed that maybe is not lag what I saw but maybe "accuracy" in my inger input while using curves. There is an icon with the shape of a sun, there you see a tab that says "curves" if you play around with the different curves, does your imput gets represented correctly? For example I create a new point by tapping anywhere on the curve diagonal and then move that point. Then I create another point and try to move that point and sometimes I create another point. I double tap to erase the new-error point and then I can move the point I initially wanted to move.

I noticced that the scaling isn't working well on the 3:2 display in landscale mode, where the tabs for curves and the other control are overlaid from one on top of another. This does not happen, however, in portrait mode, where both tabs are correctly separated.

Lightroom did run OK on both KEYones but the fluidity still felt a bit under the Priv. For all other functions, I did noticed those KEYones to be more fluid and now I am noticing my Priv to be lagging quite a bit.
    10-05-17 07:47 AM
    So, I am maybe leaning towards the black edition Keyone because I suspect that the extra RAM may help with Lightroom if Lightroom is coded in a similar way to the desktop version where RAM does count (to a point) in its workflow.
    10-05-17 07:49 AM
    I suspect that storage I/O on the K1 is better than the Priv so that may offset the GPU advantage the 808 has over the 625 SOC for this type of app.

Benchmarks really do tell the tale...

KEYone --
    https://www.futuremark.com/hardware/...+KEYone/review
    PRIV --
    https://www.futuremark.com/hardware/...ry+Priv/review

Note the scores aren't completely fair as the PRIV was tested with Android 5.1 - that might have been an advantage, or a disadvantage?
    10-05-17 09:11 AM

KEYone --
    https://www.futuremark.com/hardware/...+KEYone/review
    PRIV --
    https://www.futuremark.com/hardware/...ry+Priv/review

Note the scores aren't completely fair as the PRIV was tested with Android 5.1 - that might have been an advantage, or a disadvantage?
    Yes you can see the raw storage R/W scores are better for the K1 and also the purposes of photo editing Android 6 is better than 5.

https://www.futuremark.com/pressrele...id-os-versions
    10-05-17 01:25 PM
    Playmemories works just fine on my silver KEYone (with a sony dsc-qx10).

Hello there,

Thanks in advance,
    10-05-17 01:46 PM

OK. So the Priv is the more powerful phone then. No doubt.

Yes you can see the raw storage R/W scores are better for the K1 and also the purposes of photo editing Android 6 is better than 5.
    I don't think storage I/O makes that much of a difference. If the way software and hardware work in a phone are similar to that of desktop computers, storage speed only takes you so far when it comes to opening and saving files. Actual processing is still done with the machine's computing prowess. I know this first hand because programs like C1, Ps, or even Lr, only benefit from file fetching and saving speeds when going from a disk drive to an SSD. Old-ish machines, say, dual-core i5 from 2013 or thereabouts, work really well when upgraded to an SSD but when it comes to using certain programs, that GPU/CPU combo makes all the difference.
    FF22 likes this.
    10-05-17 04:29 PM
    OK. So the Priv is the more powerful phone then. No doubt.

I don't think storage I/O makes that much of a difference. If the way software and hardware work in a phone are similar to that of desktop computers, storage speed only takes you so far when it comes to opening and saving files. Actual processing is still done with the machine's computing prowess. I know this first hand because programs like C1, Ps, or even Lr, only benefit from file fetching and saving speeds when going from a disk drive to an SSD. Old-ish machines, say, dual-core i5 from 2013 or thereabouts, work really well when upgraded to an SSD but when it comes to using certain programs, that GPU/CPU combo makes all the difference.
    Storage speeds do make a difference on mobile, depending on the app, because of how Android works. It tries to keep the most it can in memory an avoid using storage cache because speeds can vary so much on phone model to phone model and provide the best experience in app switching. Hub for BB Android tries to reside in memory at all times and therefore takes up alot of space that could otherwise be used for apps. When an app needs to rely on cache rather than memory its very noticeable when you're doing multiple things. Its why some people disable the Hub and use other launchers. Yes processing component of image editing doesn't rely on storage but other parts do.

Imagine using Photoshop on a comp that has a current CPU/GPU but 2GB of ram. You'd notice the difference.
    10-05-17 05:51 PM