I'm looking to buy a new blackberry, i'm currently on the passport and I love it but I can't decide where to go next. I had my mind set on the Priv but once I heard about the KEYone i've been slightly swayed.

I've read the rear camera of the KEYone is 12mp as opposed to the Priv which is 18mp but the KEYone has a better front camera.

Price wise, the Priv is in my budget but there is an overheating problem i've read about. Then again my passport heats up sometimes near the power button.
    If I get the KEYone it will be higher priced and if I get it straight away there may be some problems.

But overall the KEYone is supposed to be superior. Any advice? Or any bits of information to sway me one way or the other?

Thanks
    03-19-17 12:32 PM
    Image quality isn't necessarily defined by a higher megapixel count.

Realistically, they're two different phone formats. Only you can make the choice which one works better for you. Here's a good recent thread to read.

Personally, the Priv never interested me, but the KEYone definitely does.
    xandros9 and FF22 like this.
    03-19-17 12:44 PM
    Is the over heating issue still a problem with the Priv?
    03-19-17 12:59 PM
    Not with mine.
    03-19-17 01:02 PM
    I've never had a problem with mine. I did get a your phone is too hot and needs to cool down message during g the last security patch but that's the only time it's ever happened in a year of using it. I never had a passport but I can say I enjoy my priv. I guess it's entirely to the point of whether you want an all the time pkb or Want the option of either. I'm comfortable now with either one. Before the priv I'd never had a pkb of any kind so maybe my appreciation of it will be different than yours. I'm on Verizon
    03-19-17 01:51 PM
    Mine heats up every day. This, the creaky build quality, and the bit of lag is making me look at the KEYone. Well that and it looks awesome... like a mini Passport SE (which I loved)!
    03-19-17 05:35 PM
    Mine heats up every day. This, the creaky build quality, and the bit of lag is making me look at the KEYone. Well that and it looks awesome... like a mini Passport SE (which I loved)!
    I bought a used priv and it had a creaky back, so I took a chance and ordered a whole "back cover" plate, changed it, and no more creak! Costs about 40$, I can try to find the link if you want.

It heats up but even the iPhone 6 I had could get this hot when used heavily. I don't find the priv gets hotter than usual except under extremely heavy load, and I think that's because of the, again, kinda cheap 1 layer back plate.. For example, the z30 was always cool to the touch but it had to layers on the rear.
    03-19-17 05:46 PM
    I think I'm going the K1 route, although I'm still contemplating keeping the Classic as a daily driver and picking up the Priv for all the fun stuff on hotspot. If only the HUB on Android was as good as it is on BlackBerry 10. Plus, for some reason I dig the looks of the Priv more than I do the K1. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Posted via CB10
    03-19-17 06:14 PM
    The Priv is a very good device, that hasn't gotten the positive comments it deserves. IT feels good in the hand, has a really good screen, and the physical keyboard works. IN the same way that people did not like the torch, I suspect they do not like this form factor, and that has caused it to be knocked down. The processor/gpu/ can get hot doing intensive video things, like Virtual Reality, but since Marshmallow, it does not get too hot doing regular activities. The 808 processor is getting dated, but it still works fine for everyday activity. If you have to play the latest, 3d game, you may want to look elsewere that either the Priv or KEYone.

The KEYone, of course, evokes the BlackBerry drool factor, given its form factor. It has been reported to feel "right" in the hand, and great to type on. It is the newest hottest BlackBerry since I don't know when..... say 9900, or BB10 launch. Both have a good rear camera, with the KEYone having a much superior front camera.

The KEYone may well be more future proof.

In short, they both have their merits, and it depends on what form you want, and how much you are willing to invest.
    missyap, BigBadWulf and xpxpxpxp like this.
    03-19-17 06:25 PM
    The Priv has been a great device for almost two years. However, I have experienced the overheating issue multiple times, and the pkb quality is not the best. That been said, I had the chance to play with the KEYone last Friday at our Miami meetup. The built quality feels premium and I felt the same emotions I felt when I hold my very first BlackBerry, the Bold 9700. Also, the pkb is fantastic! If I were you, I'll choose the KEYone, the Priv is almost 2 years old.
    jakie55, BigBadWulf and fanisk like this.
    03-19-17 06:48 PM
    I have a Priv, and have played with the KEYone. If I were choosing now, it would be the KEYone, hands down.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-19-17 07:28 PM
    I have a Priv, and have played with the KEYone. If I were choosing now, it would be the KEYone, hands down.
    I agree. I love my Priv, but ever since having a chance to play with the KEYone, I'll be upgrading as soon as it's available. For the record, the only time I've ever had overheating is when I was charging with a portable battery while playing a game (charge + CPU/GPU load = heat.) The back on mine creaks, but I've gotten used to it. The keyboard on the KEYone feels more like a classic BB keyboard.
    03-19-17 07:49 PM
    a) the Priv is now 16 months old. Depending on your carrier, you may not want a phone that doesn't have updated radio bands.

b) the Priv uses the Snapdragon 808 processor. I have the LG V10, which uses the same processor. It's not particularly snappy, especially under Android 6. Usable, but nothing to write home about. BUT: yes, it can get hot. And on the V10, that's been a problem due to LG's faulty design. I don't know anything about Priv's mechanical design under the covers, but heat is the enemy of electronics. I would not buy another 808-driven device.

You seem to be choosing your phone based on some random number associated with the camera sensor. Yikes. Instead, compare the radio bands; that's your key to broadband connectivity and speeds and features. Cellular technology is changing very quickly, and to buy a 16 month old phone can be a fool's choice.

Also: I tried and didn't like the Priv keyboard. I forget which old-style Blackberry I was coming from, but the Priv didn't compare.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-19-17 08:00 PM
    I think I'm going the K1 route, although I'm still contemplating keeping the Classic as a daily driver and picking up the Priv for all the fun stuff on hotspot. If only the HUB on Android was as good as it is on BlackBerry 10. Plus, for some reason I dig the looks of the Priv more than I do the K1. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Posted via CB10
    You channeling my Wulfanese™? The only thing I'm sure of in your post is "¯\_(ツ)_/¯" .
    03-19-17 08:48 PM
    You channeling my Wulfanese™? The only thing I'm sure of in your post is "¯\_(ツ)_/¯" .
    is it yours? I don't remember ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ hahaha

I saw it in a post a while ago and loved it so much. Copied the thing and put it in my word correction "idk". Do I have to reference you from now on? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :lol:

Posted via CB10
    03-20-17 04:00 AM
    is it yours? I don't remember ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ hahaha

I saw it in a post a while ago and loved it so much. Copied the thing and put it in my word correction "idk". Do I have to reference you from now on? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :lol:

Posted via CB10

No, no, no! That's not mine, the convoluted post is.

I can't tell if you're recommending the KEYone, Priv, Classic, or Rosetta Stone.
    03-20-17 07:00 AM
    :lol: I don't know man. I want the KEYone, but am hesitant to give up the toolbelt and the BlackBerry 10 HUB and thus contemplating a Priv as a toy next to me Classic. First world problems ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Posted via CB10
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-20-17 07:09 AM
    :lol: I don't know man. I want the KEYone, but am hesitant to give up the toolbelt and the BlackBerry 10 HUB and thus contemplating a Priv as a toy next to me Classic. First world problems ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Posted via CB10
    Hahahahahahaha! Ok bud. For some reason, I thought you had posted here in an attempt to help the OP.
    03-20-17 07:13 AM
    Aahh no man! Just chiming in with my own hesitations between the two. I'm all about help with issues, but choosing a device one has to do on his own ultimately :lol:

Posted via CB10
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-20-17 07:31 AM
    I have really grown to like the Priv more and more. When I first had gotten it I wasn't a fan. The phone overheated a lot, there was a considerable lag, and I had the squeaky back. Since then though I had upgraded to OS M and the overheating has gone away. The phone has improved considerably in the lag department. Every once in a while it creeps up but not often at all. I started using the Siedio case and no longer experience the creakiness.

All that being said though, I am patiently awaiting the KEYone. While I am content with the Priv I am looking forward to the KEYone most notably for the form factor. I really like the candybar styling of the K1.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-20-17 08:37 AM
    I my mind the Priv is a criminally underrated phone. The screen quality is superb, the camera is way better than reviewers give it credit for (I have a galaxy S7 edge also and the Samsung is only slightly better, most pics are comparable). The only criticism I would have is that it's physical keyboard is not as nice to use as the Passport and Bolds of the past. It's usable and I still prefer it to a virtual keyboard but I don't crave using it like I did with the Passport.

I was at the Miami meetup and saw the Keyone (but did not hold it) this past Friday and I think it looked very nice but I still think the colors of the Amoled Priv screen popped a littler more than the Keyone...but again I only saw the Keyone for a few minutes because it was crowded and everyone wanted to see the Keyone.

Personally I think both phones look great and you probably can't go wrong with either one. If you really love typing on a physical keyboard then I tend to think the KeyOne might end up being a little better.

p.s. my Priv does not overheat much. I think the Marshmallow update helped this problem a lot. I also do not have much lag either like others report.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-20-17 11:18 AM
    The only time my PRIV gets hot is when I'm playing games for say 30 minutes or more, otherwise it's fine. It definitely is prone to getting hotter than others but it can be fixed with software. The upgrade from Lollipop to Marshmallow was a definite improvement.

My vote would definitely be with the KEYone if you coming from a Passport. You will have the same screen size and battery life will be exactly like you are used to. Amazing! I wouldnt worry about the camera. Its the same sensor found on the Google Pixel so photo quality is going to be top notch.
    03-21-17 01:42 AM