I am about to switch to the KeyOne (was seriously considering the Motion, but think the KeyOne is the way to go) but, before I do, I was wondering how widespread the problem of the screens separating from the phones is? Is it only a small minority of units that had this problem, or was it more widespread than that?

And was this something that happened with the earlier units but has been resolved, or is it an ongoing issue?

Thanks in advance.
    04-26-18 01:48 PM
    If you're going to get a new one, you should be fine.
    colchar likes this.
    04-26-18 01:50 PM
    I am about to switch to the KeyOne (was seriously considering the Motion, but think the KeyOne is the way to go) but, before I do, I was wondering how widespread the problem of the screens separating from the phones is? Is it only a small minority of units that had this problem, or was it more widespread than that?

And was this something that happened with the earlier units but has been resolved, or is it an ongoing issue?

Thanks in advance.
    Agree, new ones have no issue, only the initial batches had the screen concern, as I am dealing with that now.
    colchar likes this.
    04-26-18 02:06 PM
    Thanks folks.

The prices for plans at my current carrier are, quite frankly, stupid so I was going to switch carriers and take advantage of an offer another carrier had for employees of the college at which I teach but I managed to get my current carrier to beat that offer. That works for me as there is less hassle involved and I hate the carrier offering the employee discount even more than I dislike my current carrier.

My current carrier does not offer the Motion but I think that the KeyOne is the right choice because of the physical keyboard. After all, isn't that part of what makes a BlackBerry a BlackBerry?
    04-26-18 02:14 PM
    Good call on switching if your looking for a better deal. Another approach is to call your current carrier and inform them "I can get all this for $$ with these other guys". Often your current carrier will offer you a better deal. If not, there's tons of compelling options nowadays.
    04-26-18 02:55 PM
    Good call on switching if your looking for a better deal. Another approach is to call your current carrier and inform them "I can get all this for $$ with these other guys". Often your current carrier will offer you a better deal. If not, there's tons of compelling options nowadays.
    That is what I mentioned above. I was going to switch, but my current carrier met (actually they exceeded) the employee pricing program I was going to switch to.

In the end I got the phone for $199 (the standard price here in Canada) and 5GB of data with unlimited nationwide calling, texting, etc. for $55 per month. Normally to get that $199 price on the phone you have to sign up for a plan costing a minimum of $100 per month with a lower data limit (my carrier's starting price is $105 per month for 1GB of data so I am saving $50 per month and getting five times the data).

I'll never use that much data in a month but it was offered so why the hell not take it right?
    FF22 likes this.
    04-26-18 03:07 PM

Thanks in advance.
    If you are getting one, make sure it's the 4GB RAM 64GB Internal Mem Black Edition.

I would not even bother touching the Silver one at this point.
    the_boon likes this.
    04-27-18 01:22 AM
    If you are getting one, make sure it's the 4GB RAM 64GB Internal Mem Black Edition.

The carrier doesn't offer the Black edition. For my uses, the Silver edition will be plenty powerful.
    04-27-18 07:56 AM
    The carrier doesn't offer the Black edition. For my uses, the Silver edition will be plenty powerful.
    To remind others, the "Verizon" model (which verizon does not sell) is only available as the original silver version.
    colchar likes this.
    04-27-18 08:16 AM

I am using both, got the silver one when it original released about a year ago and then the Black Edition once it was available. The speed difference is virtually not existend at all, at least in my experience. There aren't any further differences either, the screen isn't better, the reception isn't better, battery life isn't better and so on. I guess there might be *some* cases where the additional gig of memory can come handy, but for the majority of uses, it won't be a big deal.
    colchar and FF22 like this.
    04-27-18 01:01 PM
    It's a great device, and getting it for $199 Can. Makes it a sweet deal. Who is your carrier?
    04-27-18 04:14 PM
    I am with Rogers.
    04-28-18 06:23 AM
    I was talking more from a future proofing perspective, but if you are currently happy with the Silver, enjoy it.
    04-28-18 08:33 AM
    I am using both, got the silver one when it original released about a year ago and then the Black Edition once it was available. The speed difference is virtually not existend at all, at least in my experience. There aren't any further differences either, the screen isn't better, the reception isn't better, battery life isn't better and so on. I guess there might be *some* cases where the additional gig of memory can come handy, but for the majority of uses, it won't be a big deal.
    If the KEYOne ever gets Android Oreo, you may see quite a difference as Oreo is even more strict on apps running in the background, meaning a phone that has less RAM may see more Random app closures.
    jope28 likes this.
    04-28-18 08:44 AM
    If the KEYOne ever gets Android Oreo, you may see quite a difference as Oreo is even more strict on apps running in the background, meaning a phone that has less RAM may see more Random app closures.
    Not to mention how much sleeker the Black Edition looks, and how it's arguably less prone to early hardware quirks than the Silver
    Tsepz_GP likes this.
    04-29-18 05:34 AM
    Not to mention how much sleeker the Black Edition looks, and how it's arguably less prone to early hardware quirks than the Silver
    Exactly!
    04-29-18 05:35 AM