I'm thinking of doing something that just seems wrong.

Although my K1 is showing no sign of a screen problem, I am contemplating having the screen lifted and adhesive applied, whether doing it myself or paying a local repair shop.

Why would I do this? The reason is simple - this phone has quickly become my favorite. I don't want to live with that fear in the back of my mind that "any day now", the screen could become an issue. So... why not just rip it off like a band-aid and get it over with? In that case, the mystery would be over and I would know, without any doubt, that my screen is firmly secured.

Have I lost my mind considering I want to repair a screen that is not broken?

By the way, I am not worried that it would affect the warranty. If I encounter a problem that requires a warranty replacement, I find it impossible to believe that there's some forensic warranty team that will disassemble the phone, find the extra adhesive, then void my warranty.
    Last edited by ce71; 07-06-17 at 07:05 AM. Reason: Emphasizing!
    07-06-17 06:56 AM
    In the nicest possible way, yes you have lost your mind lol

Don't allow the stories of failed units lead you to doing something that might never happen and will void your warranty for other issues that may arise with your phone.

I found myself reading this forum and getting down, thinking id bought the ed sheeran of the phone world. I think we need more focus on celebrating what a kick *** device this is
    07-06-17 06:59 AM
    If you're literally living in fear that your phone might come apart at any moment, the return it and buy something else.

That being said, doing that will void the warranty, and if you have any other problem than the screen, it won't be covered either.

If you choose to buy a Keyone, the best option is to love on fear of your screen falling out, and hoping it gets swapped out quickly then it does.
    07-06-17 07:01 AM
    I would say "no" and thats why you have a warranty with the unit, I wouldn't loose any sleep and/or worry if the screen lift issue will affect your unit, just enjoy the device and god forbid if the screen lift issue does appear, just send it back and get a replacement unit. Life is way to short to worry about things we have no control over.
    BLAZEDv3 likes this.
    07-06-17 07:31 AM
    Lol, apples and oranges of course. But does remind me of those people who claim they're meant to be blind (but really aren't) then proceed to destroy their eyes and own vision...
    07-06-17 07:56 AM
    Leave it alone.
    07-06-17 08:14 AM
    You are better off getting device protection from your carrier. Rogers charges about $11.99 a month.
    07-06-17 09:04 AM
    I'm thinking of doing something that just seems wrong.

Although my K1 is showing no sign of a screen problem, I am contemplating having the screen lifted and adhesive applied, whether doing it myself or paying a local repair shop.

Why would I do this? The reason is simple - this phone has quickly become my favorite. I don't want to live with that fear in the back of my mind that "any day now", the screen could become an issue. So... why not just rip it off like a band-aid and get it over with? In that case, the mystery would be over and I would know, without any doubt, that my screen is firmly secured.

Have I lost my mind considering I want to repair a screen that is not broken?

By the way, I am not worried that it would affect the warranty. If I encounter a problem that requires a warranty replacement, I find it impossible to believe that there's some forensic warranty team that will disassemble the phone, find the extra adhesive, then void my warranty.
    I'd say leave the phone as it is.

I mean, if in the future my K1 will fall, the screen pops out, the ribbon cable will tear, then, ok, no good, but I think thats really unlikely, also because I'm careful about not dropping it.

Sure, maybe in the future, who knows, my screen will lift.
    If, and only if, this will happen, I'll go in the local store here and I'll ask for a repair with adhesive on the frame of the display, without going the warranty route.

But I must admit, I've considered your solution more than one time.
    07-06-17 09:26 AM
    I've done the repair because my screen fell off. And I'll be one to tell you don't do it unless you HAVE TO.

The screen module itself is very delicate. It's a sandwhich of the top glass, a black framed transprent layer, and a white foam layer of LED backlighting. These layers are easily separated if you are not extremely careful.

It is very difficult to remove the applied glue and you must do that if you want the best adhesion of any new glue. Scraping around the edge of the screen requires a lot of patience and muscle control or you might slip and push onto the layers mentioned.

Even if you don't cause separation, debris can get trapped between the layers and cause artifcats in your display. It's even harder to clean it out.

If you want some insurance, use an oversized vinyl type screen protector that wraps about 1 to 2 mm into the metal frame. The Priv protector with the height chopped off to fit the K1 works perfectly. This will help hold the screen in place and keep it from lifting.

Here's a pic of how it looks on my bottom edge.

Preemptive Screen Repair: Is it wrong?-img_20170618_075748a.jpg
    ce71 likes this.
    07-06-17 11:31 AM
    I've done the repair because my screen fell off. And I'll be one to tell you don't do it unless you HAVE TO.

The screen module itself is very delicate. It's a sandwhich of the top glass, a black framed transprent layer, and a white foam layer of LED backlighting. These layers are easily separated if you are not extremely careful.

It is very difficult to remove the applied glue and you must do that if you want the best adhesion of any new glue. Scraping around the edge of the screen requires a lot of patience and muscle control or you might slip and push onto the layers mentioned.

Even if you don't cause separation, debris can get trapped between the layers and cause artifcats in your display. It's even harder to clean it out.

If you want some insurance, use an oversized vinyl type screen protector that wraps about 1 to 2 mm into the metal frame. The Priv protector with the height chopped off to fit the K1 works perfectly. This will help hold the screen in place and keep it from lifting.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170618_075748a.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	155.9 KB 
ID:	426595
    Wow. Thanks for the advice and the screen protector tip!

Yeah... after reading your post I'll refrain. If something does happen, I'll weight my return/replace options and resort to a repair shop if necessary.
    07-06-17 11:37 AM
    I'd say leave the phone as it is.

I mean, if in the future my K1 will fall, the screen pops out, the ribbon cable will tear, then, ok, no good, but I think thats really unlikely, also because I'm careful about not dropping it.

Sure, maybe in the future, who knows, my screen will lift.
    If, and only if, this will happen, I'll go in the local store here and I'll ask for a repair with adhesive on the frame of the display, without going the warranty route.

But I must admit, I've considered your solution more than one time.
    It just happened to me so yes, this is more than "unlikely".
    07-10-17 01:26 PM
    It just happened to me so yes, this is more than "unlikely".
    Screen lifted?
    07-10-17 01:31 PM
    Screen lifted?
    Lifted and tore cable after a minor drop on carpet inside a bumper case.
    07-10-17 01:32 PM
    Ouch. Sorry to hear about it. Are you going to do a replacement?

Well, the cheapest solution (for those of us with screens that haven't lifted yet) seems to be hjc73734's solution above, which is a brilliant idea. So, I'll either go that route... or take my phone in for a preemptive fix just to be safe.
    07-10-17 01:42 PM
    Really sorry for you.

After all these cases, and also the 2nd announcement by BBM about adhesive, maybe yes, a preemptive screen repair is not so nonsense.

It would be useful a way to know if the screen adhesive is good or bad...
    but, if I remember correctly, there is a member here who has done a suction cup test, and after some weeks his screen lifted, so...

BBM should addres the issue, giving at least, if not a total recall, which is obviously not doable, a method to detect if the K1's screen fixing is ok or not.

If this will not happen in a few days, I think I'll take the preemptive route.
    07-10-17 01:47 PM
    Really sorry for you.

After all these cases, and also the 2nd announcement by BBM about adhesive, maybe yes, a preemptive screen repair is not so nonsense.

but, if I remember correctly, there is a member here who has done a suction cup test, and after some weeks his screen lifted, so...

BBM should addres the issue, giving at least, if not a total recall, which is obviously not doable, a method to detect if the K1's screen fixing is ok or not.

Preemptive replacement is a good idea. BBM agreed for an exchange but that process is taking FOREVER (already 5th day since it was agreed but no tracking# yet). Also this phone was definitely from the first batch and I'm concerned about other issues creeping up over time. For example, some of the keys didn't work out of the box but pressing hard on certain keys I was somehow able to fix it. Who knows what other issues they (TCL) quietly addressed? That's why I didn't push for a repair.

But one disadvantage of replacement is I'll never see my data again. My phone is encrypted along with the microSD card so the only way to get the data is with the original phone. Without the screen this is not possible (i've been told by BBM). Not even to access the CHARGE & DATA mode to transfer data out from USB. Most of them I'll never miss but those full res photos/videos are hard to let go. The reduced resolution copies are backed up on Google.
    07-10-17 02:00 PM
    Preemptive replacement is a good idea. BBM agreed for an exchange but that process is taking FOREVER (already 5th day since it was agreed but no tracking# yet). Also this phone was definitely from the first batch and I'm concerned about other issues creeping up over time. For example, some of the keys didn't work out of the box but pressing hard on certain keys I was somehow able to fix it. Who knows what other issues they (TCL) quietly addressed? That's why I didn't push for a repair.

But one disadvantage of replacement is I'll never see my data again. Most of them I'll never miss but those full res photos/videos are hard to let go. The reduced resolution copies are backed up on Google.
    Yeah, that's a tough pill to swallow. Really sorry about it.

When did you buy your K1?
    07-10-17 02:02 PM
    Same boat as well!
    07-10-17 02:13 PM
    Really sorry for you.

They won't do a recall loll

Apple never did a recall for the iphone 6 and BlackBerry never did a recall for the storm 1 even though they KNEW it was a big failure that didn't work properly.

Samsung only did a recall because it was a health/safety issue loll

I have to give credit to TCL though - they could've done what oneplus is doing with the op5 jellygate and just deny the problem exists.
    Posted via CB10
    07-10-17 02:14 PM
    I've thought about this as well, the only reason I don't do it is because I don't have a backup phone in case I end up braking it being that the ribbon cable seems to be really fragile. Like you said, I really doubt they would ever find out you added adhesive to void your warranty. I say wait a little longer and then try the preemptive fix so that in case something goes wrong you can return it for a unit you know has been fixed.
    07-10-17 02:22 PM
    They won't do a recall loll

Apple never did a recall for the iphone 6 and BlackBerry never did a recall for the storm 1 even though they KNEW it was a big failure that didn't work properly.

Samsung only did a recall because it was a health/safety issue loll

I have to give credit to TCL though - they could've done what oneplus is doing with the op5 jellygate and just deny the problem exists.
    Posted via CB10
    That's a good point. If Samsung's problem would not have caused a health/fire-hazzard... they wouldn't have done much either.
    07-10-17 02:23 PM
    Yes, BBM admitted it and thats a good point.

My idea to do the preemptive repair comes also from the fact that my K1 is absolutely perfect, I mean no issues at all.

I think it is a stellar communication machine, and I need it for work, so I dont want to take the risk of using a glass slab for some weeks, in case of warranty return.
    Last edited by h16; 07-10-17 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Typo
    07-10-17 02:28 PM

I was looking for Priv protectors on Amazon. Which one did you use?
    07-10-17 03:15 PM
    I was looking for Priv protectors on Amazon. Which one did you use?
    I bought the XtremeGuard ones on eBay.

search for XtremeGuard Priv Anti-Scratch. $2.99 each last time I searched. Free shipping too.

Only thing is they need soapy water to install. take precautions!
    07-10-17 04:52 PM
    I bought the XtremeGuard ones on eBay.

search for XtremeGuard Priv Anti-Scratch. $2.99 each last time I searched. Free shipping too.

Only thing is they need soapy water to install. take precautions!
    Got it. One more question, did you cut the length before or after application?
    07-10-17 05:01 PM
37 12