I might have figured out why many screens are popping up. I played with my friends' KeyONE which is perfectly intact (so far) and noticed that when you press the volume rocker and the power button (we don't always do that super gently), the aluminum side frame has a tiny give to it, it bends very, very slightly. Looks like a design flaw - the side frame of the phone moves the display which is fitted inside with little to no adhesive and it comes off. I'm not an engineer, so I might be wrong. However, this may be the critical design flaw (remember, "designed in house" by our old friend John Chen) that will eventually lead to all current units' screens coming loose.
    My personal KeyONE went back because it had a red line across the display. However, I opted for a replacement instead of refund. The things I do in the name of science...
    kbz1960 and jamesharmeling like this.
    06-15-17 02:33 AM
    Ive just checked my keyone and yes I get some flex, I'll check in more detail later as I am on a train.
    06-15-17 02:36 AM
    I might have figured out why many screens are popping up. I played with my friends' KeyONE which is perfectly intact (so far) and noticed that when you press the volume rocker and the power button (we don't always do that super gently), the aluminum side frame has a tiny give to it, it bends very, very slightly. Looks like a design flaw - the side frame of the phone moves the display which is fitted inside with little to no adhesive and it comes off. I'm not an engineer, so I might be wrong. However, this may be the critical design flaw (remember, "designed in house" by our old friend John Chen) that will eventually lead to all current units' screens coming loose.
    My personal KeyONE went back because it had a red line across the display. However, I opted for a replacement instead of refund. The things I do in the name of science...
    Are you serious? The frame bends when the side keys are being pressed? That's ridiculous and it makes the decision to omit a proper adhesive even more stupid. If that's the case, then you are right that eventually every screen will get loose or fall off.

S**t I just got a message from Amazon that they will send mine sooner than expected. I'm torn inside...
    Mike-Mike likes this.
    06-15-17 03:32 AM
    Are you serious? The frame bends when the side keys are being pressed? That's ridiculous and it makes the decision to omit a proper adhesive even more stupid. If that's the case, then you are right that eventually every screen will get loose or fall off.

S**t I just got a message from Amazon that they will send mine sooner than expected. I'm torn inside...
    The small bend of the frame probably doesn't matter if the screen is glued properly, but it's not the case with k1. I think it's time for a global recall.
    06-15-17 03:38 AM
    The small bend of the frame probably doesn't matter if the screen is glued properly, but it's not the case with k1. I think it's time for a global recall.
    I've sent a message to BBMo earlier today to ask when can we expect the new units to be fixed. If they answer soon, I'll get back to Amazon to postpone it until the (hopefully mentioned) date. If they don't answer soon, I'll probably cancel my order just before shipment.

Your discovery seems to be the missing piece in this whole issue, it's easier to understand now. So far I could at least 'hope' to get a proper unit. Now I know there are no proper units, there are just units not broken yet.
    Last edited by eldeadache; 06-15-17 at 04:07 AM.
    06-15-17 03:44 AM
    Like I said in the other threads, metal flexes and bends. Everyone (should) know this. That's one of the reasons they use proper adhesive.

Even if the volume rocker didn't flex it, eventually something would.
    06-15-17 04:14 AM
    Like I said in the other threads, metal flexes and bends. Everyone (should) know this. That's one of the reasons they use proper adhesive.

Indeed.
    06-15-17 04:16 AM
    Just tried mine. Even used a magnifier glass. No flex in mine.
    hpjrt, jamesharmeling and stlabrat like this.
    06-15-17 04:20 AM
    I've sent a message to BBMo earlier today to ask when can we expect the new units to be fixed. If they answer soon, I'll get back to Amazon to postpone it until the (hopefully mentioned) date. If they don't answer soon, I'll probably cancel my order just before shipment.

Your discovery seems to be the missing piece in this whole issue, it's easier to understand now. So far I could at least 'hope' to get a proper unit. Now I know there are no proper units, there are just units not broken yet.
    The frame bend seems to be a critical design flaw which is not that easy to fix. I guess they'll try to apply more adhesive and hope for the best.
    06-15-17 04:21 AM
    Flex doesn't always show up right away. That's just how hardware works.

We will see what these threads look like in 6 months. The tally is already going up quickly.
    06-15-17 04:24 AM
    The frame bend seems to be a critical design flaw which is not that easy to fix. I guess they'll try to apply more adhesive and hope for the best.
    Partly yes. But I'm 99% sure that a proper use of adhesive would prevent the consequences of the design flaw.
    06-15-17 04:26 AM
    If "my" screen falls out - RIM better watch out - my tongue is lethal.....

KEYᵒⁿᵉ
    06-15-17 04:49 AM
    Mine doesn't budge either.
    hpjrt and jamesharmeling like this.
    06-15-17 05:42 AM
    I'm must be lucky or perhaps I know how to use the phone as it should be.

No bend or lift so far. Hope I don't jinx myself.
    jamesharmeling and stlabrat like this.
    06-15-17 05:46 AM
    I'm must be lucky or perhaps I know how to use the phone as it should be.

No bend or lift so far. Hope I don't jinx myself.
    With the case I'm using its pretty hard to take a screenshot and mine doesn't bend any, I just don't see any phone bending when a screenshot is taken
    06-15-17 05:50 AM
    No bend or flex here on 2 KEYone's. Still flawless after 2 weeks. Just ordered a 3Rd last night

Posted via CB10
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    06-15-17 08:56 AM
    My standard mode of operation is not be an early adopter and wait for the device to be on the market for close to a year before purchasing. This allows for any hardware problems to be fixed in later batches of phones. I think the keyone will be a good device, but I am thinking there is a small bad batch of them got sent out.
    06-15-17 09:15 AM
    I pushed hard on both sides and I can't discern any flex at all.
    06-15-17 10:04 AM
    No flexing on my KEYone at all.
    06-15-17 10:15 AM
    is it dependent on if the phone is warm/hot - does that affect the glue enough to allow a bit of movement?
    06-15-17 10:32 AM
    is it dependent on if the phone is warm/hot - does that affect the glue enough to allow a bit of movement?
    So little if any glue not sure makes a difference. I have 2 KeyOnes and don't have any flex at all, maybe I will soon, hope not.
    06-15-17 10:38 AM
    I don't have any flex and my screen is just fine. I think it's a bad batch.
    06-15-17 10:51 AM
    If "my" screen falls out - RIM better watch out - my tongue is lethal.....

KEYᵒⁿᵉ
    Guess it all depends what you do with ur tongue to make it lethal! Who's rim ? ;-)
    06-15-17 11:59 AM
    Had another play with the KEYone at CPW lunchtime. The side keys seemed pretty solid and I couldn't see any flex. The sales guy said he'd not seen any returns and it was selling well. They'd just had another batch of 15 delivered today. For him it was a solid device (although I did notice the back had come loose and it wouldn't just clip on again. He said it was where someone had tried to yank the security device off. That part didn't look good.)
    06-15-17 12:15 PM

Answer isn't that clearcut. What kind of alloy? Thickness? Stamped, machined, etc. ?Parameters throughout manufacturing process aren't always independent either.
    06-15-17 05:27 PM
63 123