I am sure I'll get used to a slab phone, but I know for fact I will never think to myself " I love this phone" while using it from time to time, like I have with a Blackberry. with a slab screen I'll be into apps and stuff typing away tapping glass, but the premium feel of the keyboard touch coupled with a trackpad that fit nicely in the hands with a phone that looked great with a solid weight to it, was damm good to use. typing on touch screen has made the keyboard an after though, sadly most people don't know what they're missing out. they removed a keyboard, trackpad, home and phone key buttons,bezels etc.. there goes that premium specially device , all for more unnecessary screen space.
    duncan86 likes this.
    10-06-17 01:49 AM
    blackberry market share increased I think 28% compared to apples 9% this last 2nd quarter.. good direction thus far: but we shall see what happens with the new upcoming release of iPhone X. I know many consumer bases are not happy phones are now over 1k USD..
    BlackBerry's market share is so small that every small increase will be counted as a big chunk in percentage.
    10-06-17 02:04 AM
    I am sure I'll get used to a slab phone, but I know for fact I will never think to myself " I love this phone" while using it from time to time, like I have with a Blackberry. with a slab screen I'll be into apps and stuff typing away tapping glass, but the premium feel of the keyboard touch coupled with a trackpad that fit nicely in the hands with a phone that looked great with a solid weight to it, was damm good to use. typing on touch screen has made the keyboard an after though, sadly most people don't know what they're missing out. they removed a keyboard, trackpad, home and phone key buttons,bezels etc.. there goes that premium specially device , all for more unnecessary screen space.
    It's all because of the drive to push media consumption onto phones. With music I suppose it makes sense, and I do like using smartphones as music players, but with movies it's just stupid. You try and make a movie that looks great on the big screen and on a 5 inch screen, you're gonna make a lousy movie. Here's the venerable David Lynch on the subject:

FF22 likes this.
    10-06-17 07:21 PM
    It's all because of the drive to push media consumption onto phones. With music I suppose it makes sense, and I do like using smartphones as music players, but with movies it's just stupid. You try and make a movie that looks great on the big screen and on a 5 inch screen, you're gonna make a lousy movie. Here's the venerable David Lynch on the subject:

Terrific!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    10-06-17 08:29 PM
    After the Krypton, BlackBerry Mobile is supposed to come out with a high end pkb device.
    When the K2 drops I bet they give options for a base model up to a more expensive model to choose from. This was discussed in the podcast CB Kevin was on with the other two guys (forget the name).

$550 - Base model with base specs
    $700 - Better specs
    $800 - Best specs

Something like that. Maybe only a better best or base model and something better than that. Would allow for people to get the next device and choose how much they want to spend rather than pigeon holing the device into high end when some consumers may not care.
    10-26-17 08:47 AM
    no. Virtual keyboards are terrible. the lack of tactile feel reduces accuracy.
    10-26-17 09:39 AM
    The only problem with high end devices is the price increase, meaning lost sales, and then the week after the high end device is released all the closet people come out and trash it because the latest "astrowhatever" has better specs.

I think that the KEYᵒⁿᵉ currently fits the profile of a potentially successful phone but needs a lot more promotion before even attempting a release of a second PKB phone.

That being said I'm sure that they are developing a follow up to the KEYᵒⁿᵉ but I wouldn't be anticipating one for at least a year until they can regain some brand market share and it appears that they are attempting to do so even though sometimes it's painfully slow!

Also don't forget that America is a lost market for the BlackBerry brand and in reality there is much more potential for growth outside of America at least for the present.
    Unfortunately for blackberry mobile , I would totally buy a high end keyboard.
    10-26-17 01:48 PM
    Ask this question end of 2018 and the market will tell you the answer...

I mean, I figured the fact that BlackBerry dumped hardware division was enough of an answer but I guess people still want to believe there is a chance.

You can call it "niche" if you want

Posted via CB10
    10-26-17 04:46 PM
    Ask this question end of 2018 and the market will tell you the answer...

I mean, I figured the fact that BlackBerry dumped hardware division was enough of an answer but I guess people still want to believe there is a chance.

You can call it "niche" if you want

Posted via CB10
    Then why did another company (one that actually has experience advertising and good at it) pick up where blackberry miserably failed? They see a viable market and see this as a technology to move forward with.

I read this entire thread and didn’t see anyone mention the fact that ALL TRENDS ALWAYS COME BACK.

It is only a matter of time before keyboards make a comeback. Voice to type sucks all around... virtual AI is more of a pain in the *** than any help. Whether it’s nostalgia, something “new” (even though it’s old) or simply something different, people WILL pick up on the pkb again.

Most people are so tired of the same form factor. Look at the slab, nothing exciting. They tout dual camera setups (which don’t do much performance wise). They tout 4K screens (really on a 5.5” phone? LOL). What is left? Better specs? MOaR SpEcKZQ!>WIN?

It is only a matter of time before the pub makes a full comeback. I predict that there will be more technology in the keyboard itself, along the lines of capacitive mouse functionality that we have now, plus more. Maybe the tech hasn’t been invented yet, but it will be. Multi color keyboards (like that of gaming laptops), I don’t know... shiny things make people happy.

Bottom line is it is only a matter of time before the pub makes a strong comeback and TCL realizes this and will be at the forefront of the new booming trend. Good for whoever sees this and has enough vision to bet on the future.
    10-27-17 04:43 PM
    Then why did another company (one that actually has experience advertising and good at it) pick up where blackberry miserably failed? They see a viable market and see this as a technology to move forward with.

I read this entire thread and didn’t see anyone mention the fact that ALL TRENDS ALWAYS COME BACK.

It is only a matter of time before keyboards make a comeback. Voice to type sucks all around... virtual AI is more of a pain in the *** than any help. Whether it’s nostalgia, something “new” (even though it’s old) or simply something different, people WILL pick up on the pkb again.

Most people are so tired of the same form factor. Look at the slab, nothing exciting. They tout dual camera setups (which don’t do much performance wise). They tout 4K screens (really on a 5.5” phone? LOL). What is left? Better specs? MOaR SpEcKZQ!>WIN?

It is only a matter of time before the pub makes a full comeback. I predict that there will be more technology in the keyboard itself, along the lines of capacitive mouse functionality that we have now, plus more. Maybe the tech hasn’t been invented yet, but it will be. Multi color keyboards (like that of gaming laptops), I don’t know... shiny things make people happy.

Bottom line is it is only a matter of time before the pub makes a strong comeback and TCL realizes this and will be at the forefront of the new booming trend. Good for whoever sees this and has enough vision to bet on the future.
    Lol yea. I'm more inclined to agree that TCL believes they can crack into the NA enterprise market but you are definitely the reason they can get away with charging what they do for their blackberry devices

If anything TCL has nothing to lose really. Neither does blackberry if people haven't accepted that yet. The branded handsets are an afterthought.
    10-27-17 04:52 PM
    Not sure that the price is that bad... I have an iPhone 8 plus which was $940 I think and a Samsung note 8 which was $930...

I just bought a K1 Black with 4gb ram and 64gb storage for $589 with a superior battery, superior build (i know subjective). That’s almost half the price for a much more productive phone.

Honestly, the Note 8 is going back, the pen is useless on that size screen and even more useless with the awful trend of curved sides on screens.
    The iPhone I love for the OS... it just works.

I don’t think I’m being irrational when I say that the price for the black edition (under 600) is a bad price for everything that you’re getting.

Now the 3gb ram 32gb memory one should have been in the 400s from the start... I think that was overpriced, but still justified for the amount of tech in it. It is not, after all, just another black slab of screen (which is a relatively cheap part of any phone).
    evodevo69 likes this.
    10-27-17 04:57 PM
    I held on to my BOLD 9930 forever because I am a diehard PKB fan. I have the K1 (almost a month old) and am not impressed with it BUT the only reason why I am probably not going to send it back is the PKB. I have a S8 and like it as a backup phone and clearly see it is a better overall phone but that darn QWERTY keeps me loyal to BB --- for now.
    10-27-17 06:48 PM
62 123