Calls will still be possible with 2G/GSM. But with internet we currently have the issue that many cheaper providers in Austria don't support VoLTE, so the phone will switch from 4G to 3G on incoming calls. But I don't know what they'll do when they turn off 3G.
    That's my point. Also here, 2G coverage barely exists for most areas. I'm pretty sure, AT&T, VZW and TMO had completely shut it down but some TMO still exists for short time longer
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-01-23 06:41 AM
    One thing with the P7P that I immediately realized was, I'm back to using a boring slab. No keyboard shortcuts, no convenience key or notification lights... it just felt like something was missing. Compared to the Key2, obviously the Google pixel 7 Pro specs blows it out of the water. However, I still found myself missing the BlackBerry experience.
    This is the main thing which took forever to move on from, and the reason I've stuck w/ BlackBerry until basically just a few months ago
    02-01-23 05:07 PM
    Google services have their uses but one does not need to "make peace' with them and sell one's soul / data to survive on android and maintain a level of privacy and security.
    I've actually just recently sold my soul to the fingerprint sensor on my pixel 6a, having been against biometrics for years.

But the overhead speakers at our warehouse run BT music from near the front office, and it did give me a nice sense of security that I could just leave my phone out in the open and nobody would be able to use it.

Can't (and would never) do that w/ my Priv, it's just got way too much stuff on it I need.
    02-01-23 05:32 PM
    I've actually just recently sold my soul to the fingerprint sensor on my pixel 6a, having been against biometrics for years.

But the overhead speakers at our warehouse run BT music from near the front office, and it did give me a nice sense of security that I could just leave my phone out in the open and nobody would be able to use it.

Can't (and would never) do that w/ my Priv, it's just got way too much stuff on it I need.
    Not sure I understand.

You saying you are more confident in the lock on the Pixel in the presence of the overhead BT, due to its fingerprint biometrics? Or, you saying you care less about if the Pixel BT gets hacked because everything/anything of importance you keep on the Priv?
    02-01-23 07:41 PM
    Meanwhile, on alternate Earth… in a world where BlackBerry is still the supreme leader in the mobile phone market, they have developed, and will soon release this beast:

https://phonereview24.com/blackberry-blade-5g/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    02-02-23 01:22 PM
    It's a nice dream

Skickat från min Titan Slim via Tapatalk
    terminatorx likes this.
    02-03-23 02:53 AM
    Not sure I understand.

You saying you are more confident in the lock on the Pixel in the presence of the overhead BT, due to its fingerprint biometrics? Or, you saying you care less about if the Pixel BT gets hacked because everything/anything of importance you keep on the Priv?
    Both. My Priv has an old SD card full of music etc, and w/ the fingerprint scanner I can leave the pixel 6a laying around w/ out any concerns, if I intend to leave it by our sound system.

I do usually have it off tho, hehe, I don't like 2 steps between me and my home screen ������
    02-03-23 01:51 PM
    Meanwhile, on alternate Earth… in a world where BlackBerry is still the supreme leader
    Man I wonder who actually devotes time to stuff like this. It's got to be like a high school students proof of concept or somn, in regards to a professional looking article / layout etc.
    02-03-23 01:53 PM
    Man I wonder who actually devotes time to stuff like this. It's got to be like a high school students proof of concept or somn, in regards to a professional looking article / layout etc.
    I know eh? While I was reading the first paragraph I was actually thinking this was for real. Then I realized it must be some kind of cruel satire!
    02-03-23 08:28 PM
    They are fun to look at.
    02-03-23 09:57 PM
    I continue to be VERY happy with my Sony Xperia 1iii. I continue to miss my PKB everyday--but having so many of the other features I have become accustomed too has made the transition much easier. Notification LED, headphone jack, microSD card slot, no notch, customizable buttons on the side plus top notch flagship specs.
    terminatorx likes this.
    02-04-23 10:32 AM
    I continue to be VERY happy with my Sony Xperia 1iii. I continue to miss my PKB everyday--but having so many of the other features I have become accustomed too has made the transition much easier. Notification LED, headphone jack, microSD card slot, no notch, customizable buttons on the side plus top notch flagship specs.
    How is Sony doing on the Updating and Patching side of things... don't really hear much about them at this point.
    02-08-23 03:25 PM
    How is Sony doing on the Updating and Patching side of things... don't really hear much about them at this point.
    Pretty good honestly. It's not pixel level, but I got the android 13 update last month. Security updates every other month.
    02-08-23 03:26 PM
    You get roughly 2 years of updates, then security patches thereafter. I recently moved from an Xperia 1 mk II to mk IV. A solid phone by all means although it's pricey.
    02-08-23 07:51 PM
    I recently moved from an Xperia 1 mk II to mk IV. A solid phone by all means although it's pricey.
    This is the one thing that stopped me from trying Sony ($) and I've dabbled in the flagship waters w/ a Note10+ (that s-pen tho) and even this Priv originally came out w/ a universally accepted price tag of "too high" (this slider tho ������).

Probably why the pixel was the one phone I couldn't resist - price of the 6a
    02-09-23 11:31 PM
    I found something interesting too: https://pine64.com/product/pinephone...keyboard-case/

The PinePhone. They offer a keyboard case, and the phone itself runs with Linux. Won't replace your Android for sure, but sounds interesting!
    terminatorx likes this.
    02-25-23 12:47 PM
    I found something interesting too: https://pine64.com/product/pinephone...keyboard-case/

The PinePhone. They offer a keyboard case, and the phone itself runs with Linux. Won't replace your Android for sure, but sounds interesting!
    Might check out this link if you haven't already.

https://liliputing.com/lilbits-is-pi...ng-its-luster/
    02-25-23 02:53 PM
    It's difficult to judge what the reasons of this decision were and if there are more programmers who don't like this.

But also interesting is this report:
    https://blog.trueelena.org/blog/2023...one/index.html

And this shows what I expected: Bad camera and clumsy experience when using the map.
    I like the idea of this phone but it seems to be in a very experimental stage (as expected somehow).
    02-25-23 04:04 PM
    It's a shame these pop-up keys didn't get further:
    https://www.wired.com/2009/05/protot...phing-buttons/
    03-12-23 06:49 PM
    Well I'm still using my trusty BlackBerry Key2, and since earlier in the year when I last wrote I have acquired a new Google Pixel 7 and Titan Slim.

Both phones are lovely, and just sit on my desk not doing much as I have been procrastinating on moving from my K2. I keep all phones updated with the same apps, but mostly all I do is just update apps on them.

The TS keyboard for me is definitely a step down from the K2, but it still brings the advantages of keyboard shortcuts over the P7.

Lately the K2's BlackBerry Inbox app has been annoying me due to its "I'll sync mail when I feel like it" issue. For a long while my mail app just has a mind of its own. For example today, I restarted the phone twice and still couldn't get the SOB to refresh the mail. Suddenly it just did it on its own a while later. Meanwhile Google Gmail and the iPad mail app refresh mail reliablly.

Not only this, but there are a small handful of apps that are just not working well due to the phone being on Android 8.1. So I am seriously considering retiring it and switching to either the TS or P7 as my daily driver. Just don't know which one to go with. Am also dreading setting up all my BT devices on them.

I wish the P7 had a simple customizable notification LED and programmable convenience key. I mean seriously, is that a lot to ask for in a 2023 slab these days? I think that would be an awesome complement to any phone.
    Last edited by terminatorx; 04-08-23 at 09:41 PM.
    04-08-23 09:28 PM
    Honestly, the resistance to using a modern virtual keyboard is just flat-out stubbornness.

Apart from the most uniquely extreme outlier case, there is no metric by which a physical keyboard is superior. Quite the opposite in fact.
    Whoa whoa what a bold statement and simply not true unless:
    1) you do not type beyond short email replies and IM (most people don't)
    2) you are ok with auto correction dictionary (most people are)

So basically if you let the tool at hand dictate your typing habits, VKB is ok for you (and most people already passed through that indoctrination). If you refuse and want your typing habits to define the tool to use, you stick to PKB.
    04-13-23 04:40 AM
    There is lots of poor quality/depth of work nowadays also, probably at least partially brought on by proliferate use of phones and VKBs, etc...
    04-13-23 05:09 AM
    There is lots of poor quality/depth of work nowadays also, probably at least partially brought on by proliferate use of phones and VKBs, etc...
    Don't think you can really blame VKB.... much the same can be said for positions that have nothing to do with typing.
    04-13-23 07:20 AM
    Whoa whoa what a bold statement and simply not true unless:
    1) you do not type beyond short email replies and IM (most people don't)
    2) you are ok with auto correction dictionary (most people are)

So basically if you let the tool at hand dictate your typing habits, VKB is ok for you (and most people already passed through that indoctrination). If you refuse and want your typing habits to define the tool to use, you stick to PKB.
    I type as much, or more, on my virtual keyboard today than I ever did on a physical keyboard. I easily maintain over 60wpm. I rarely have to correct errors.

A definitive study with a cohort of 37,000 virtual keyboard users found the following (using autocorrect):

1) Average speed 43.4 wpm at 2.4% uncorrected error rate.

2) US sub-group was 46.1 wpm at 2.3% uncorrected error rate.

Seems pretty darn good to me.

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...000_Volunteers
    Last edited by conite; 04-13-23 at 08:26 AM.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    04-13-23 08:07 AM
    Don't think you can really blame VKB.... much the same can be said for positions that have nothing to do with typing.
    Personally, I think it is a society thing (and also partially a generational thing, although I am sure others said that also in the past about our upcoming generations). The proliferation of phones within our society has also happened (including then also the transition (generally) from PKBs to VKBs). Tying all of it conclusively together is of course probably impossible. Too many subjective aspects.
    04-13-23 08:33 AM
133 ... 3456