I like that. The most difficult part will be to make the software modifications for android to make the keyboard actually work fine with the system...
    "...will be.."?

What do you mean?

It is USB-C OTG based. It already works, no differently than if you today would plug a desktop keyboard into an Android phone/tablet.

Dakkaron had to figure out how to program an Arduino chip/board to work with a Q10 keyboard in order to mimic a USB keyboard, and then also how to jam all of that into a small package. However, he's already done all that. It already works, no more software development required. I think Dakkaron is always refining the code he flashes onto the Arduino chip. However, from what I understand all the heavy lifting development work he's already done/completed, quite a while ago now.

If one wanted to get fancier, one could even take a SolderParty Q20 Keyboard baseline and do the same to attach it to the bottom of a modern current Android phone, to then not only have a Keyboard but to also have a trackpad/mouse. Good thing about the SolderParty Q20 Keyboard is no micro soldering is required. It already comes as a complete package all completed. Bad thing about the SolderParty Q20 Keyboard is that it is not as small as a package as what Dakkaron did with his Q10 Keyboard concept. It would be harder to attach a SolderParty Q20 Keyboard to the bottom of an Android phone (it seems to have been designed for other uses). Another bad thing about the SolderParty Q20 Keyboard is that they keep selling out. So many micro hobbyists apparently buying them quickly up for their other projects (or, only small quantities being produced at a time).
    01-24-23 11:59 AM
    Hmmm...beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It's kinda rough looking, exactly what a "homemade" project would look like. Kudos to Dakkaron for the effort but I'll pass.
    If you are not a PKB wanter/needer, then it is expected that it wouldn't look polished enough.

For those that say they really need/want a PKB and also the benefits of a modern supported OS, and if they think Unihertz isn't enough on those fronts, then can those wanters/needers afford to be beggars/choosers about not a polished enough look?
    01-24-23 12:04 PM
    If you are not a PKB wanter/needer, then it is expected that it wouldn't look polished enough.

For those that say they really need/want a PKB and also the benefits of a modern supported OS, and if they think Unihertz isn't enough on those fronts, then can those wanters/needers afford to be beggars/choosers about not a polished enough look?
    Yes. Life's too short to have a phone that's not pretty
    spARTacus likes this.
    01-24-23 12:11 PM
    "If it was about "safety", whatever it is, you shouldn't use Android at all... I'm not willing to buy a new phone every 2 years anyway." - yeah all of the chatter about security I've always found to fall on completely deaf ears. Obviously some people in tech who are running software companies worth millions need to be more careful than average consumers. But most people I'm surrounded by don't even know what version of Android they are running, or what improvements over the last version it came w/

But ironically, most criticism of our appreciation for somn special = the masses (those average consumers, who don't even know what we're really talking about) have spoken, lol.

Having said that, to be fair, I'm settling down (or maybe just still preparing to settle down, hehe, baby steps) w/ a slab for the first time since summer of 2017 when my search for somn I can enjoy as much as my Priv began (which started w/ a KEYᵒⁿᵉ of course hehe). It's def nice to have everything work, and pretty much all of it work immediately or w/ in seconds.

For those of you holding out, I honestly advise experimentation. Don't forget return policies exist for a reason, and my experiences w/ them involve amazon literally sending me a not-too-subtle hey-you-return-too-many-phones email, and the point at which my local BBuy crew basically knew me by name. Even if I came in to return a device past the 14 day mark, it wouldn't even get a mention these last couple years.

Try a flagship if you can afford it. See if you can live w/ a midranger, sheesh they have 500 dollar phones w/ 90hz or even 120 now, if reports are to be believed. See what feature set makes the loss of a pkb somn you can stomach. It may be the feel in the hand for you, which finally seals the deal. It may be trying the sPen and actually being thrilled by what it can do. When I got this 6a, for ex, my photo expectations for many phones were I take 10 shots, and 7 are meh, but 3 are good. I was expecting, due to the pixels reputation, to maybe have that reversed and end up w/ 7 good shots out of 10. Once I tried it, and all 10 were spectacular, I was literally beside myself. The things I have to do, literally (!) manually, in order to fool this camera into a subpar pic - we're talking full motion kids running around an evening dinner set w/ mixed lighting (cake w/ candles, other nearby cell phone screens glowing bright, etc) before I'm actually unhappy w/ a photo. I may have taken a straight 300 pics before I even started noticing the flaws. And that's just as an example, my personal experience.

Try to see what you find exciting / pleasing. Test it. Lord knows when you first walk into a carrier nowadays, it isn't easy to immediately distinguish the blank slabs from Oneplus from anything else next to it, hehe
    01-24-23 01:32 PM
    "...will be.."?

What do you mean?

It is USB-C OTG based. It already works.
    I mean the integration in the OS. Like having shortcuts or smart dial when you start typing. The benefit of the keybord is also that you have these functions.
    Android is not really great for that and Blackberry at least did some minor improvements. If you use something like Lineage OS you'll notice that this is not really designed for having a physical keyboard.
    01-24-23 07:32 PM

I would have been interested in that phone Unihertz has which looks like a Key2 clone. But it's just way too thick. It looks ridiculous to me in that regard. No thanks.

The Google Pixel 7 Pro seems like a fairly decent option, considering you can find them on Kijiji for a decent price averaging around 800-850 for the 12/128 model. The only reason I consider this is because of the guaranteed updates, stock Android and no bloatware unlike the Samsung phones.

Anyone have any other recommendations? Motorola has some decent cheap phones selling on Amazon, like the Play and Power models. But they don't come with NFC.
    Last edited by terminatorx; 01-24-23 at 08:31 PM.
    01-24-23 08:20 PM
    I mean the integration in the OS. Like having shortcuts or smart dial when you start typing. The benefit of the keybord is also that you have these functions.
    Android is not really great for that and Blackberry at least did some minor improvements. If you use something like Lineage OS you'll notice that this is not really designed for having a physical keyboard.
    I think Dakkaron earlier mentioned about being able to program the chip for certain meaning to be applied by certain keyboard presses. I'd not want to guess or suggest if that such could be used to basically assign shortcuts. Dakkaron would have confirm. I think I remember him saying about wanting to use the keyboard to change screen size commands for example, normally possible via developer mode. However, that's not really what you are talking about. I'd agree that limitations of Android and the host phone OS itself aren't going to be magically overcome by a Dakkaron PKB attachment.
    01-24-23 08:34 PM
    I would have been interested in that phone Unihertz has which looks like a Key2 clone. But it's just way too thick. It looks ridiculous to me in that regard. No thanks.
    From what I remember, the thikness wasn't a big deal for me when putting the phones in the back pocket.
    Sure it looks more elegant if it is thinner, but that wouldn't be the show stopper for me. I think the Titan Pocket will fit much better in the pocket then the Keyone currently does. And because it is thicker you might not miss the vibra calls so easily than with thin phones. So besides the keyboard issue, most modern phones are too big for me anyway.
    01-25-23 02:53 AM
    I'd agree that limitations of Android and the host phone OS itself aren't going to be magically overcome by a Dakkaron PKB attachment.
    Still his approach looks interesting. I just wonder which phone you could use for that attachment so that it's not getting too long but still has modern hardware. Nowadays its even difficult to get a smartphone that is not too big.
    01-25-23 02:56 AM
    Still his approach looks interesting. I just wonder which phone you could use for that attachment so that it's not getting too long but still has modern hardware. Nowadays its even difficult to get a smartphone that is not too big.
    You could use it as an attachment for on many different modern Android Slabs. Attached to something that then makes the overall arrangement too long is probably going to be a subjective factor for different people differently, but yes, phones nowadays are bigger than they used to be and the attachment would make things longer. It is something one would need to be aware of. Kind of suggests that the attachment would be most optimum for not the larger slabs. Perhaps a slab that is not much wider than the dimensions of the Q10. The overall resulting length is something that other CB members have also pointed out as a negative. A Pixel and a Fairphone are I think the two different models that Dakkaron had earlier already tried it out on and shown in pics, one with the surface of the keyboard in plane with the surface of the phone and the other with the surface of the keyboard slightly raised, part of it resting on the phone chin. Having the keyboard surface in plane with the surface of the phone is what I personally think would be best, as per that recent pic (which if I remember correctly from earlier, is a Pixel).
    01-25-23 05:12 AM
    I had posted a comment last week mentioning that the Google Pixel 7 Pro would be a good alternative to the Key2. There is no doubt that the Pixel 7 Pro has amazing specs. I actually ordered one and received it a few days ago. I was playing with it yesterday and today setting up my apps.

One thing with the P7P that I immediately realized was, I'm back to using a boring slab. No keyboard shortcuts, no convenience key or notification lights... it just felt like something was missing. Compared to the Key2, obviously the Google pixel 7 Pro specs blows it out of the water. However, I still found myself missing the BlackBerry experience.
    Last edited by terminatorx; 01-31-23 at 09:58 PM.
    01-30-23 08:47 PM
    I had posted a comment last week mentioning that the Google Pixel 7 Pro would be a good alternative to the Key2. There is no doubt that the Pixel 7 Pro has amazing specs. I actually ordered one and received it a few days ago. I was playing with it yesterday and today setting up my apps. But I haven't officially started using it, as my SIM is still in my Key2 where it feels most comfortable right now.

One thing with the P7P that I immediately realized was, I'm back to using a boring slab. No keyboard shortcuts, no convenience key... it just felt like something was missing. Compared to the Key2, obviously the Google pixel 7 Pro specs blows it out of the water. However, I still found myself missing the BlackBerry experience. The main thing I missed was the physical keyboard, key shortcuts and the convenience button.

To make a long story short, I'm not sure if I'm going to keep this Pixel 7. Need to evaluate more. I previously mentioned that the Unihertz Titan Slim is far too thick and I would never buy it. But now I'm actually considering buying one of these Unihertz phones in response to my underwhelming impression of going to a non BlackBerry device.

The only thing that actually put me in this predicament of considering a new phone, is because my employer is implementing a new IT policy requiring Android version 10 or higher in order to access our Outlook 365 apps. So obviously I can't use the Blackberry Key2 anymore, since it is stuck at Android 8. Otherwise I would be happy to continue using it, and just resort to my iPad mini 6 min if I needed more horsepower.

I was watching some YouTube reviews of the Unihertz Titan and Titan Slim this evening. They really are nice looking phones. Yeah the Slim is pretty thick, but it's not like there are many other options. Actually the one thing I didn't realize and that I really like, is that the Titan Slim comes with a pre-installed screen protector, an extra screen protector, and a case. For the price of $350 US, that is actually quite a great deal.

Anyone else have this phone and what do you think about it. Are they planning to release Android 13 on this thing?

PS: having said all of the above, I still think the ULTIMATE replacement device would be an updated BlackBerry Priv. Imagine a device like that with modern specs running Android 13.
    I don't think you'll see anything newer PKB related, from Unihertz even. Between no 5G and lack of Android updates, your employer may block Unihertz device sooner than later anyway.
    01-30-23 09:04 PM
    For those that have Pixels, can anyone confirm how it works with chrome, google search engine (google.com/ca), gmail, youTube and other google prodicts/services, in relation to one's google accounts that are on/in the phone?

On my Samsung A21, I basically don't use chrome browser at all because it constantly has me signed into one of my google accounts (gets this basically from my "google ID / play store account" settings I assume) when I use google search engine or visit google.com/ca. On my Samsung A21, I luckily have the option of using the Samsung Browser, and then it doesn't try to auto sign me in when using google search engine or something like that. Previously, I also had a similar problem using the youTube app (always tried to have me logged in). However, that doesn't seem to happen anymore.

On a Chrome Book recently, it became instantly very clear to me that this situation was even worse (if I could call it that). The Chrome Book always has me signed into any google service with one of my google accounts, and really no way to log out and stay logged out. I can't use chrome either at all on the Chrome Book without the browser having me signed in, beyond just for when/if I visit google.com/ca, can't use youTube or the google search engine either without it having me signed in, etc...

Does this happen also with Pixels? Do the Pixel phones also always automatically/force sign in for anything google related?
    Last edited by spARTacus; 01-30-23 at 10:10 PM.
    01-30-23 09:34 PM
    I don't think you'll see anything newer PKB related, from Unihertz even. Between no 5G and lack of Android updates, your employer may block Unihertz device sooner than later anyway.
    Even a notification light and a convenience key, that's not a lot to ask for on a modern slab. I wonder why these manufacturers don't implement such features. The modern slab just feels so dated to me, despite the specs.
    01-30-23 10:06 PM
    For those that have Pixels, can anyone confirm how it works with chrome, google search engine (google.com/ca), gmail, youTube and other google prodicts/services, in relation to one's google accounts that are on/in the phone?

On my Samsung A21, I basically don't use chrome browser at all because it constantly has me signed into one of my google accounts (gets this basically from my "google ID / play store account" settings I assume) when I use google search engine or visit google.com/ca. On my Samsung A21, I luckily have the option of using the Samsung Browser, and then it doesn't try to auto sign me in when using google search engine or something like that. Previously, I also had a similar problem using the youTube app (always tried to have me logged in). However, that doesn't seem to happen anymore.

On a Chrome Book recently, it became instantly very clear to me that this situation was even worse (if I could call it that). The Chrome Book always has me signed into any google service with one of my google accounts, and really no way to log out and stay logged out. I can't use chrome either at all on the Chrome Book without the browser having me signed in, beyond just for when/if I visit google.com/ca, can't use youTube or the google search engine either without it having me signed in, etc...

Does this happen also with Pixels? Do the Pixel phones also always automatically/force sign in for anything google related?
    From my experience, yes, it will have you continually signed in on the Pixel. But you can always opt to uninstall Chrome and also just not use all their apps.

I prefer Firefox, and on my BlackBerry Key2 I just use that instead. On the Pixel 7, I can remove Chrome but it's still embedded in such a way that it's reminiscent of Microsoft's monopolistic practice of embedding IE and undermining competitors.
    01-30-23 10:22 PM
    I also never said that I don't use virtual keyboards, but since I'm working with a real computer and real keyboard (interestingly nothing virtual replaced that yet) .
    Apple tried a virtual ESC key with initial Touchbar deployments.
    That worked so well that the physical ESC was reintroduced.
    01-31-23 01:17 AM

I can use certain Google services like Google Search App or Google Chrome Browser without being logged in and that's with Pixel and Galaxy devices.
    01-31-23 03:17 AM
    You think that even Unihertz won't continue that?

Hmm... Well, with 5G you can have the F(x)tec Pro1 X, but that won't have the "Blackberry experience" I guess. The problem is that keys need to be integrated into Android well, so that they work how we are used to them. So even of some keyboard cases, plug-ons etc. would exist, the bad keyboard integration might be the showstopper for them.

Maybe you can install a custom ROM like Lineage OS on the Unihertz. Then you can keep it up to date, but you might lose parts of the keyboard integration. Maybe it would be in idea to croud fund some better keyboard integration for an alternate Android. Otherwise the devices that can run it are not too many anyway...
    01-31-23 03:32 AM

I run a pixel 4a but on GrapheneOS. I also use a Chromebook. I use different accounts and I control the play services access on my phone, not google.

I use the chrome browser on the CB but only access what I know google will see. On the pixel I use either Bromite, Vanadium or TOR. I run VPN on both devices.

Google services have their uses but one does not need to "make peace' with them and sell one's soul / data to survive on android and maintain a level of privacy and security.
    01-31-23 05:51 AM
    You think that even Unihertz won't continue that?

Hmm... Well, with 5G you can have the F(x)tec Pro1 X, but that won't have the "Blackberry experience" I guess. The problem is that keys need to be integrated into Android well, so that they work how we are used to them. So even of some keyboard cases, plug-ons etc. would exist, the bad keyboard integration might be the showstopper for them.

Maybe you can install a custom ROM like Lineage OS on the Unihertz. Then you can keep it up to date, but you might lose parts of the keyboard integration. Maybe it would be in idea to croud fund some better keyboard integration for an alternate Android. Otherwise the devices that can run it are not too many anyway...
    The lack of 5G hurt their USA sales, no doubt. The 5G carrier optimization and tweaking will continue for leas the next 12 months in the USA for network demands and load balancing. I use all three carriers and even though AT&T was first on 3G shutdown, it's easily 6-12 months away from stability and redundancy.

Since Unihertz needs to show 5G compatability and relies on surplus, excess, earlier generation parts, I think all this slows down their entire production and sales model.
    01-31-23 07:31 AM
    The lack of 5G hurt their USA sales, no doubt.
    Well, here 3G will go out of service with end of 2024, and for 4G there are no plans. So the lack of 5G is no big deal although it would be nicer if a new device supports the latest standards. But otherwise the Titan Pocket is not an expensice device although you might find 5G in the same price range. Still no big deal for me.
    01-31-23 08:08 AM
    The lack of 5G hurt their USA sales, no doubt. The 5G carrier optimization and tweaking will continue for leas the next 12 months in the USA for network demands and load balancing. I use all three carriers and even though AT&T was first on 3G shutdown, it's easily 6-12 months away from stability and redundancy.

Since Unihertz needs to show 5G compatibility and relies on surplus, excess, earlier generation parts, I think all this slows down their entire production and sales model.
    I agree lack of 5G and carrier support hindered sales to the USA. But then I don't think the USA was ever a big market for them. In the past they use to publish list with order numbers and shipping info... Japan and China were some of the biggest customers in the past. The Slim Kickstarter didn't even allow Chinses customers, which likly was one reason sale dropped.

But it's 2023, not 2018... smartphone users better understand the need for a device that is current and fully patched. That wasn't as much the norm back when Uniherz first came to market. Times change....
    01-31-23 08:42 AM

Yes all the above also happens on Pixel Phones (I have a 6).

The solution is to have an alias Google Account, like John Doe or something. Put funds into that account via Play Store cards. Don't use a Gmail account for your email address or your email client. Use a browser like Brave.
    01-31-23 11:17 AM
    Well, here 3G will go out of service with end of 2024, and for 4G there are no plans. So the lack of 5G is no big deal although it would be nicer if a new device supports the latest standards. But otherwise the Titan Pocket is not an expensice device although you might find 5G in the same price range. Still no big deal for me.
    The lack of 5G is a big deal when 3G is shutdown. It serves as the replacement for the very 3G fallback network and frequencies that most people don't realize are necessary to complete phone calls. All 3G traffic has to go somewhere
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-31-23 11:18 AM
    The lack of 5G is a big deal when 3G is shutdown. It serves as the replacement for the very 3G fallback network and frequencies that most people don't realize are necessary to complete phone calls. All 3G traffic has to go somewhere
    Calls will still be possible with 2G/GSM. But with internet we currently have the issue that many cheaper providers in Austria don't support VoLTE, so the phone will switch from 4G to 3G on incoming calls. But I don't know what they'll do when they turn off 3G.
    01-31-23 12:24 PM
133 ... 23456