For some reason I did insert another SIM-card into my phone and removed it later.

Suddenly I find all the contacts of this SIM-card in my phone book.
    Otherwise the contacts are not really there... They do not sync with myPhoneExplorer, if I want to edit one of these contact, I'll be asked where to add this contact.

So how can I get rid of these contacts? And how can I avoid that contacts are copied without my agreement when I insert other SIM-cards?
    03-20-21 01:28 PM
    For some reason I did insert another SIM-card into my phone and removed it later.

Otherwise the contacts are not really there... They do not sync with myPhoneExplorer, if I want to edit one of these contact, I'll be asked where to add this contact.

So how can I get rid of these contacts? And how can I avoid that contacts are copied without my agreement when I insert other SIM-cards?
    When you actively insert a SIM card into your device, it seems to me that consent is understood.

In any event, under what category are these contacts showing up in your Contacts app?
    03-20-21 01:30 PM
    When you actively insert a SIM card into your device, it seems to me that consent is understood.
    Not really. There are many reasons for temporarly using another SIM card which doesn't mean that you permanently want to copy all the contacts from that SIM-card to your adress book.

In any event, under what category are these contacts showing up in your Contacts app?
    That's the funny thing: They do not seem to be in any category yet. When I want to edit one of these contacts the phone asks me if I want to add this contact to the local contacts or to the google contacts. Just like if you add a new contact.
    03-20-21 02:17 PM
    Not really. There are many reasons for temporarly using another SIM card which doesn't mean that you permanently want to copy all the contacts from that SIM-card to your adress book.

That's the funny thing: They do not seem to be in any category yet. When I want to edit one of these contacts the phone asks me if I want to add this contact to the local contacts or to the google contacts. Just like if you add a new contact.
    Try a 32 second reboot?
    03-20-21 05:50 PM
    I did try a reboot.
    03-20-21 06:03 PM

You may have to do a wipe and reload. It sounds as if the phone still thinks they are present.
    03-22-21 09:49 AM
    You may have to do a wipe and reload. It sounds as if the phone still thinks they are present.
    Which kind of wipe? I did wipe the data of the contacts app but this did not have any effect.
    03-22-21 10:09 AM
    On some Phones you can go into your contacts and divide them by the place they are safed at. So you'll see which contacts were added by mail, sim and so on. This seems to be the only possibility to have them all listed so that you can delete them manually. I hope this helps.
    03-22-21 10:21 AM
    Which kind of wipe? I did wipe the data of the contacts app but this did not have any effect.
    Did you wipe as set back to new device?
    03-22-21 11:34 AM
    Did you try clearing the cache?
    03-22-21 01:12 PM
    Did you wipe as set back to new device?
    Are you joking?

Did you try clearing the cache?
    The cache of the contacts app, yes.
    03-22-21 04:04 PM
    Are you joking?

The cache of the contacts app, yes.
    No some p[people do not do a full restore.......
    03-22-21 04:12 PM
    Well it turned out that all the contacts that were added do have the Signal-Messenger.

Seems that somehow Signal grabbed these contacts while the SIM-Card was inside the phone and added them to a contact group called "Signal" which is not shown in the default contacts app.

Poor performance for a messenger that promises privacy.
    03-22-21 07:09 PM
    Well it turned out that all the contacts that were added do have the Signal-Messenger.

Seems that somehow Signal grabbed these contacts while the SIM-Card was inside the phone and added them to a contact group called "Signal" which is not shown in the default contacts app.

Lot's of other reasons not to use someone else's SIM card....
    03-23-21 10:50 AM

Signal had been given explicit permission to sync with your contacts though. Your SIM card are YOUR contacts.
    03-23-21 10:52 AM
    Signal had been given explicit permission to sync with your contacts though. Your SIM card are YOUR contacts.
    In fact more apps have permission to access the contacts, but only one decided to mess around with them.
    Ironically only the one which promises good privacy.
    03-23-21 11:39 AM
    In fact more apps have permission to access the contacts, but only one decided to mess around with them.
    Ironically only the one which promises good privacy.
    It only means that Signal does a better job following your explicit instructions.
    03-23-21 11:44 AM
    Lol no that weren't instructions.
    If I give you my car keys because you are a mechanic who needs to get a job done, that doesn't mean that you can drive anywhere you want with that car.
    03-23-21 11:53 AM
    Lol no that weren't instructions.
    If I give you my car keys because you are a mechanic who needs to get a job done, that doesn't mean that you can drive anywhere you want with that car.
    When you installed Signal, you gave it permission to sync your contacts. It's not complicated.
    03-23-21 11:55 AM
    Because Android has no option to allow contacts read-only.
    Just like a car key can allow you to drive 5 or 5000 kilometers.
    So it's up to Signal/mechanic to deal responsible with the given access. Signal has much more rights, like Internet access. Doesn't mean I expext it to consume terabytes of data...
    03-23-21 12:04 PM
    Because Android has no option to allow contacts read-only.
    Just like a car key can allow you to drive 5 or 5000 kilometers.
    So it's up to Signal/mechanic to deal responsible with the given access. Signal has much more rights, like Internet access. Doesn't mean I expext it to consume terabytes of data...
    This is weird.

You gave permission for Signal to sync your contacts.

You had physical access to your device, you entered your device password, and you inserted a SIM card into said device of your own free will.

It's not like you threw a set a keys at a mechanic and walked away.
    Last edited by conite; 03-23-21 at 12:29 PM.
    03-23-21 12:19 PM
    Every Signal user gives Signal the permission to collect the whole address books data and send it over the internet.
    And guess what? Signal promises not to do this just because it can. Can you believe??
    03-23-21 12:35 PM
    Every Signal user gives Signal the permission to collect the whole address books data and send it over the internet.
    And guess what? Signal promises not to do this just because it can. Can you believe??
    Signal simply did the same with the new contacts that YOU yourself added.

No different from what it would have done if you just added another cloud email account, or imported local contacts from a contacts file.
    Last edited by conite; 03-23-21 at 01:29 PM.
    03-23-21 01:04 PM
    Signal simply did the same with the new contacts that YOU yourself added.

No different from what it would have done if you just added another cloud email account, or imported local contacts from a contacts file.
    No... Even Google didn't sync the contacts although it's their business.

Adding a SIM-Card with contacts doesn't give a clue if you want to copy or sync them.
    I'm using smartphones and their software since they existed and swapped a lot of SIM-cards, but this never happened before. Sometimes you get asked if you want to copy the contacts to your local address book.

But doing that without asking is something you do not expect, especially not from a software that promises to treat your data carefully.
    03-23-21 02:30 PM
    No... Even Google didn't sync the contacts although it's their business.

Adding a SIM-Card with contacts doesn't give a clue if you want to copy or sync them.
    I'm using smartphones and their software since they existed and swapped a lot of SIM-cards, but this never happened before. Sometimes you get asked if you want to copy the contacts to your local address book.

But doing that without asking is something you do not expect, especially not from a software that promises to treat your data carefully.
    Well, we're just going around in circles. I think an app syncing contacts when you explicitly gave it standing orders to do so is not unexpected, nor even undesirable.
    03-23-21 02:45 PM
28 12