Why does my KEYone ask for a Pattern Lock after I unlock with the Fingerprint sensor? It's random, happens a few times a day?
    01-06-18 03:16 PM
    Just sounds like a bug.. try setting up a Pattern and then disabling it when set up. Might clear it up. Worst case, reset your device, should clear it up.
    01-06-18 10:19 PM
    Just sounds like a bug.. try setting up a Pattern and then disabling it when set up. Might clear it up. Worst case, reset your device, should clear it up.
    I actually have 2 KEYone phones (Sprint and BE) and both do it. I set up pattern lock as a backup for both phones (it asks if I want to do this during setup), so wouldn't disabling it would leave me with no backup if the fingerprint sensor fails?
    01-06-18 10:34 PM
    Why does my KEYone ask for a Pattern Lock after I unlock with the Fingerprint sensor? It's random, happens a few times a day?
    Whatever backup method you have will come up when the device fully locks. That's by design. So if you've it set to lock say after 15 minutes of screen time out then it will require both finger print and pin or whatever else you have set. Test it by holding down the k key(assuming you didn't change that short cut) and fully lock it, then use finger print sensor.
    01-06-18 10:41 PM
    wouldn't disabling it would leave me with no backup if the fingerprint sensor fails?
    It won't allow you to NOT have an alternative. You'll have to create a PIN or something else.
    01-06-18 10:42 PM
    Whatever backup method you have will come up when the device fully locks. That's by design. So if you've it set to lock say after 15 minutes of screen time out then it will require both finger print and pin or whatever else you have set. Test it by holding down the k key(assuming you didn't change that short cut) and fully lock it, then use finger print sensor.
    I don't have the "k" key because I use Nova; what is the difference between fully locked and just locked?
    01-06-18 10:44 PM
    I don't have the "k" key because I use Nova; what is the difference between fully locked and just locked?
    There is screen time out but then you can set how long after screen timeout the device locks. Thats when you're require both finger print and pin or another method. Go to settings and security. Click on the gear beside sreen lock and you'll see it there. "Automatically lock after"
    Last edited by ray689; 01-06-18 at 11:26 PM.
    01-06-18 11:07 PM
    You're using some shortcut to lock it. starting with Nougat, this doesn't work and it will always ask you to unlock with pattern/pin/etc.

There is no way to fix it unless you root the device.

You'll always have to press the power key if you want fingerprint to always work.

BlackBerry has the ability to make a shortcut that works properly, but they're not gonna bother because you as a consumer don't matter anymore.
    01-07-18 03:13 AM
    As discussed above. Try locking the phone using the Power key instead of a shortcut.

If you're using Nova, you may have set double tap to lock the phone, which uses Admin rights hence the fingerprint will not work. You can only use double tap to lock using BB Launcher without having to go through pattern / pin, unless the phone restarts.
    01-07-18 07:21 AM
    You're using some shortcut to lock it. starting with Nougat, this doesn't work and it will always ask you to unlock with pattern/pin/etc.

There is no way to fix it unless you root the device.

You'll always have to press the power key if you want fingerprint to always work.

BlackBerry has the ability to make a shortcut that works properly, but they're not gonna bother because you as a consumer don't matter anymore.
    What are you going on about exactly? When the screen times out you can unlock device without a pin and just a finger print. After the time you have set to "lock after timeout" then you will be required to enter pin after finger print. That is by design. If you have the power button to "lock" then clearly you are locking it every time you push it rather then just timing out the screen (you can also set power button not to lock device).
    Like I said, this is by design. Not sure why you constantly have to come in here and bash.
    01-07-18 10:39 AM
    What are you going on about exactly? When the screen times out you can unlock device without a pin and just a finger print. After the time you have set to "lock after timeout" then you will be required to enter pin after finger print. That is by design. If you have the power button to "lock" then clearly you are locking it every time you push it rather then just timing out the screen (you can also set power button not to lock device).
    Like I said, this is by design. Not sure why you constantly have to come in here and bash.
    How do you set the "lock after timeout" time?
    01-07-18 10:52 AM
    How do you set the "lock after timeout" time?
    Go to settings, then security. Click the gear right next to "screen lock" (see image below). Then you'll see "Automatically lock" and you can pick the amount of time after screen time out.
    Attached Thumbnails Pattern Lock after Fingerprint Sensor?-35348.jpg  
    FF22 likes this.
    01-07-18 10:59 AM
    Go to settings, then security. Click the gear right next to "screen lock" (see image below). Then you'll see "Automatically lock" and you can pick the amount of time after screen time out.
    Thanks!
    01-07-18 11:38 AM
    This is nonsense. I have set this "lock" timeout to 5 seconds and I can unlock my K1 every single time by just putting the finger on the FP sensor, even after hours not using it.

There are two things that can prompt the PIN entry: one is if it didn't fully recognise your finger. It will say "enter your PIN for additional security" or so. The other one is if an app locked the screen through the "device administrator" privilege. The lock screen will say "device locked by administrator"

I get the first one once in a while, but not very often. I guess if you work a lot with rough material or need to use a lot of soap or disinfectant then your fingerprints can become harder to read correctly. I think though that when you enter the PIN correctly after that, the phone will update your fingerprint profile.
    01-07-18 03:39 PM
    This is nonsense. I have set this "lock" timeout to 5 seconds and I can unlock my K1 every single time by just putting the finger on the FP sensor, even after hours not using it.

There are two things that can prompt the PIN entry: one is if it didn't fully recognise your finger. It will say "enter your PIN for additional security" or so. The other one is if an app locked the screen through the "device administrator" privilege. The lock screen will say "device locked by administrator"

I get the first one once in a while, but not very often. I guess if you work a lot with rough material or need to use a lot of soap or disinfectant then your fingerprints can become harder to read correctly. I think though that when you enter the PIN correctly after that, the phone will update your fingerprint profile.
    That is not the case at all and I can guarantee you anyone in here who has screen time at 5 seconds will have to enter PIN after they use finger print sensor if they wait longer then 5 seconds. I have mine set for 5 seconds as well actually. That is how it's designed. Read up on it.

Just tested. Double tapped on screen to time out then used finger print sensor right away. It didn't require pin. Long pressed on K to LOCK device. Then to unlock required PIN after finger print. That is how it's designed. What you are saying is inaccurate unless you have some smartlock feature set up which can also be done.
    anon(10264805) likes this.
    01-07-18 03:44 PM
    That is not the case at all and I can guarantee you anyone in here who has screen time at 5 seconds will have to enter PIN after they use finger print sensor if they wait longer then 5 seconds. I have mine set for 5 seconds as well actually. That is how it's designed. Read up on it.

Just tested. Double tapped on screen to time out then used finger print sensor right away. It didn't require pin. Long pressed on K to LOCK device. Then to unlock required PIN after finger print. That is how it's designed. What you are saying is inaccurate.
    I'm not talking about locking the phone using long press K. This is some stuff of the BlackBerry launcher which I don't use and don't care about. I am talking about these three ways how the phone can go to sleep:

1. wait for the screen timeout (i.e. let the phone sit there, don't touch it until the screen goes black). In this case, the aforementioned timeout starts as soon as the screen turns black. Within this timeout, you can turn on the phone and it will come on *unlocked*, it's kind of a "grace period" when you are looking at something, the screen goes off and you quickly switch it back on.

2. press the power button.

3. a 3rd party software is granted "device administrator" rights to lock the screen and this is then used to lock the phone.

For cases 1 and 2 you can unlock the phone at any time (even after hours of being locked) by just using the fingerprint sensor. Everybody does it: put your finger on, boom phone is instantly unlocked.

For 3 you will have to enter your PIN, password or pattern.

Maybe BlackBerry launcher is adding a 4th way, I don't know. But the rest is standard Android stuff.
    01-07-18 03:58 PM
    I'm not talking about locking the phone using long press K. This is some stuff of the BlackBerry launcher which I don't use and don't care about. I am talking about these three ways how the phone can go to sleep:

1. wait for the screen timeout (i.e. let the phone sit there, don't touch it until the screen goes black). In this case, the aforementioned timeout starts as soon as the screen turns black. Within this timeout, you can turn on the phone and it will come on *unlocked*, it's kind of a "grace period" when you are looking at something, the screen goes off and you quickly switch it back on.

2. press the power button.

3. a 3rd party software is granted "device administrator" rights to lock the screen and this is then used to lock the phone.

For cases 1 and 2 you can unlock the phone at any time (even after hours of being locked) by just using the fingerprint sensor. Everybody does it: put your finger on, boom phone is instantly unlocked.

For 3 you will have to enter your PIN, password or pattern.

Maybe BlackBerry launcher is adding a 4th way, I don't know. But the rest is standard Android stuff.
    I didn't mention the k key for any reason other then locking the phone. Fine use the power button I don't care but do you have your power button set to lock device. Because it also has an option that can be turned off.
    Not everybody does it the way you state. Heck even Apple requires a PIN after face id unlock when device is locked.
    @Conite usually has the answer, maybe he can chime into this thread.

Edit: so I've done some more testing and @SiDEler2547 is correct. I was so used to locking device with k and for some reason doing that requires a PIN after finger print unlock.

OP, See if this thread will help you.

https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...s-why-1111550/
    Last edited by ray689; 01-07-18 at 05:47 PM.
    01-07-18 04:15 PM
    Same stuff is keeps happening to me as well. For me, it asks for my 6 digit lock pin after I use the fingerprint sensor (sometimes). And it doesn't go away until you restart the phone. It's quite annoying.

I remembering someone posting that it might be due to keeping the phone facing towards your body in your trouser pockets. The fingerprint sensor might take attempts just touching your body. Not sure if this is the exact reason or its just a bug in the system.

Sent from my BBB100-7 using Tapatalk
    01-08-18 01:52 AM
    Same stuff is keeps happening to me as well. For me, it asks for my 6 digit lock pin after I use the fingerprint sensor (sometimes). And it doesn't go away until you restart the phone. It's quite annoying.

I remembering someone posting that it might be due to keeping the phone facing towards your body in your trouser pockets. The fingerprint sensor might take attempts just touching your body. Not sure if this is the exact reason or its just a bug in the system.

Sent from my BBB100-7 using Tapatalk
    Well, whenever it asks for your PIN it usually also tells you the reason for it. When I try with an unregistered finger a couple of times it will say "Too many attempts, try again later".
    FF22 likes this.
    01-09-18 11:28 PM
    Anybody have any idea how to stop this? 5-6 times a day I am required to use both fingerprint and pattern lock and there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it?
    01-14-18 03:38 PM