what side of the device separated first? For my phone it was the right hand side. Left side finally gave way 5 days later.
    07-26-17 09:25 PM
    A-a-a-h! BlackBerry cobbler! Yum! And the wild blackberries are ripe for the picking! Funny it doesn't have that usual good aroma... oops, this isn't a food forum after all. My bad. 😂
    FF22 and Grabber5.0 like this.
    07-26-17 09:40 PM
    Good for you for trying this!
    07-26-17 09:40 PM
    That's a very scientific approach - thank you for sharing.
    FF22 and Grabber5.0 like this.
    07-27-17 01:23 AM
    K1 bought from clove UK.
    Boxing date is 7 May 2017.

Last night I've made an experiment:
    K1 in my oven, set to ventilated, 55 C.
    Pic attached (the doors was closed, its opened in the photo to better show the scene).

Duration of the experiment: 4 1/2 hours.

I've made an error though, i.e. on the beginning, for some minutes, the detected temperature has been over 60 C: approx 64, then lowering.

Then, 4 1/2 hours ranging from 49 to 55.

Just after the "cooking", I made the suction cup test.
    I've been able to lift effortlessy the side of the screen not facing the oven's fan, i.e. the side where the heat was greater.

On this side there was evidence of glue, and it melted.
    The color of the melted / disintegrated glue was brownish.
    The other side was still firmly attached.

Today I brought the K1 at the repair shop here, they have put some glue on the detaching side, charged nothing for the repair, now the screen is again 100% firm.
    Btw, the guy at the shop told me that in these weeks he reattached a few lifted screens (not K1 of course) due to glue melting because of direct sunlight heat.

What I've learned is that, likely, past 60 C my K1 glue starts to melt.
    Or, that it starts to melt after more than 4 hours at 50-55 C.
    I dont know if that means that this glue is defective, and a proper glue should start to melt at a higher temperature...

Anyway, I'm more than happy, because now I know that my K1 _has_ glue.
    I'll be careful to not put it on an oven at more than 60 C, or, to be conservative, also under direct summertime sunlight for many hours.

UPDATE [27 Jul 2017]
    Some additional infos about the yesterday's experiment:

1] During the long 4 1/2 hourstest, for at least 90% of the whole duration, the temperature has been <= 52 C.

2] The guy at the repair shop told me today that the glue he has put yesterday on the detached side of the screen was, so to speak, a temporary glue, in the likely possibility that also the other side will lift.

3] An interesting thing about the melting process of the glue, is that after some hours the glue disintegrated in little pieces, and so felt out when I lifted for the 2nd time the screen.

4] This morning I've made a little experiment:
    I've put the K1, face down, on a metallic table under direct sunlight [31.5 C here today this morning].
    After some minutes, grabbed the phone, and I think it was a little bit warmer than the yesterday experiment at 50/55 C.
    Usual msg on the screen about excessive heat.
    I've not tried immediately the suction cup test.

Now for the update:
    Some hours after the "metallic table" experiment I was ready to make a 2nd test in the oven.
    I tried, just to have all documented, to lift the screen again with the suction cup, and bam!, the screen lifted with little effort also from the side that yesterday was firmly attached [see 1st pic, the order has been inverted].

So, my hypothesis is that on the first batch there was not (or at least not only) an issue of missing glue, but that the problem was the glue type, not withstanding a prolonged heat exposure, being this heat exposure possible in summertime i.e.

Now at the repair shop the guy gave me the choice of using a 3m adhesive or
    a proper glue... he said that with a proper glue the screen will be more firmly attached, only issue will be that in case of repair, it will be needed some heat to again detach it.
    I chose the 2nd option.
    Well thank you for the "testing" but here is one issue you never thought of, the battery could have blown up or caught fire. Than you would have had a white hot uncontrollable fire that water or regular fire extinguishers do not work on. The other is you probably shorten the life of the phone with the heat.
    07-27-17 10:38 AM
    Done another little experiment today.
    Other side lifted too, see updated 1st post.

Now I have finally a K1 with proper glue on all the sides!

P.S. About the additional metallic frame deformation hypotesis, I'm not too convinced... I think its enough the glue heat issue for all the lifted screens cases.
    Only my opinion of course.

On my K1 I've not seen / experienced any sign of said deformation,
    and the screen eventually detached completely, after some hours of greater than "normal" heat exposure.

@thatguyusa
    If the K1's battery catches fire because the surrounding temperature is 55 C, then a _total_ recall of all the K1s would be mandatory.
    I dont think that this is the case.
    About shortening the phone life, I dont think thats happened, at least not too much, but also if this happened, no problem for me, its the price of doing science!
    Last edited by h16; 07-27-17 at 11:00 AM.
    FF22 likes this.
    07-27-17 10:48 AM
    OP what city are you in that it gets so hot? I'm guessing either Edmonton or Winnipeg?

Posted via CB10
    07-27-17 11:03 AM
    OP what city are you in that it gets so hot? I'm guessing either Edmonton or Winnipeg?

Posted via CB10
    50-55 C was oven test temperature.
    Out there now is 33.5 C.
    07-27-17 11:06 AM
    I appreciate the OP's approach on this testing. I probably wouldn't do it very many more times though.
    07-27-17 11:36 AM
    I appreciate the OP's approach on this testing. I probably wouldn't do it very many more times though.
    Hehe, well said… My tests are finished now.

Its possible that I have now the oldest K1 around (aged because of the tests), but for sure without the screen lifting issue.
    And doing science is sooo funny!
    Last edited by h16; 07-29-17 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Typo
    FF22 likes this.
    07-27-17 11:48 AM
    Now that you are suppose to have "proper" glue why not try the test one more time and see if this "proper glue" will give at the same temperature?
    07-27-17 11:52 AM
    Now that you are suppose to have "proper" glue why not try the test one more time and see if this "proper glue" will give at the same temperature?
    I think your suggestion is almost ok, thanks!

Tomorrow I'll ask for brand/model of the glue I have now, then I'll use it on some plastic/metal things, and then I'll put this one in the oven.

No more need to stress the K1, the point was to know approx the threshold temperature for the 1st batch glue to melt.
    hjc73734 likes this.
    07-27-17 12:23 PM
    This might be the stupidest thread that I have ever seen on these threads...and that is really saying something.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-17 01:17 PM
    Thanks for doing controlled experiments.
    07-27-17 01:44 PM
    Well, I'm just hoping that the OP did this test thoroughly and right through to its logical conclusion.

After all, you don't want to get a reputation (wait for it ....)

FOR BEING HALF-BAKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    FF22 and Barbareren like this.
    07-27-17 04:36 PM
    Question!? Why would you use your hard earned cash and bake you key One in the oven!?
    Because the microwave was occupied :-p
    PantherBlitz and FF22 like this.
    07-27-17 05:22 PM
    So 60 C is like what, 212 F? (too lazy to convert)
    07-27-17 07:12 PM
    I don't think this test proves anything other than the OP being unlucky and getting a faulty unit. When my first K1 suffered saltwater damage I also had it in an oven for hours and in direct sunlight submerged in rice (not too smart), and I had it soaking in distilled water and pharmacy alcohol as well. I also removed the back cover (which was glued very well together and difficult to remove) and the battery (lots of glue there too). I tried everything. Suffice it to say, that poor K1 went through A LOT of abuse and the screen never budged one bit. Actually, I just checked it again and the screen is still fully intact. Just thinking about how hard it was to remove the back cover, and reading about people having the back cover loosen by itself, coupled with the screen popping out issue, it all makes me think that it's a question of poor quality control during the assembly process... It seems rather random who experiences hardware problems and who doesn't... The screen thing is definitely a big issue, much bigger than I first thought, and I wouldn't recommend the K1 to anyone until we are absolutely sure the improved units have reached the market. As it is now, with 120-130 (and counting) screen loosening issues reported here on CB alone, it would be too much of a gamble to buy now. Unless, of course, you are lucky enough to live in place where you'll actually get proper customer support.
    07-27-17 07:19 PM
    So 60 C is like what, 212 F? (too lazy to convert)
    No, only 140F.

100C is boiling which is 212
    07-27-17 08:56 PM
    I don't think this test proves anything other than the OP being unlucky and getting a faulty unit. When my first K1 suffered saltwater damage I also had it in an oven for hours and in direct sunlight submerged in rice
    Yes I remember... it was me suggesting the oven try.

And, yes, maybe I've had a faulty unit, meaning a unit with the wrong glue.
    Or maybe not, and all the first batch K1s have the same fault... its an interesting question, of course.
    If I had to bet, I'd bet for "my faulty unit" , but science is science:
    we need some objective, repeatable, measuring data.

And you are perfect for that, seen that you have an already damaged K1!

If you have a thermometer, like the one I used, and a ventilated oven, you can try to repeat my test, i.e. your damaged K1 in the oven for some minutes at 60-62, and then for 4/5 hours at 50/55 C (more towards 50).
    So, you repeated exactly the steps I've done for my glue to melt.

Then, if after this test your screen is still firmly attached, great, we've found the definitive answer, meaning that only some K1s have the wrong glue.
    If, instead, your glue will melt too, we will be still with the doubt.

Moreover, I think that, likely, it would be enough some seconds/minutes of hair dryer to have the glue melting, in case of faulty units, then its possible to detach the screen and reattach it with proper glue / adhesive.

But, back to your first saltwater damaged K1... maybe you know the temperature of your oven when you made the recover try?

P.S. About direct sunlight... if your K1 was submerged in rice, then I think its temperature maybe was not so high like if it was, so to speak, naked under the sun...
    But maybe I'm wrong.
    We need measurements!

PP.SS. Or maybe having a phone at 60 C, also if for 2-3 minutes, and / or for some hours at 50-55 C, leads to its glue melting, and this is the correct behaviour of the smartphones glue.
    Luckily, I have some old smartphones here, I'll try it tomorrow.
    Science is calling.
    Last edited by h16; 07-28-17 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Wrong translation
    07-27-17 10:00 PM
    Yes I remember... it was me suggesting the oven try.

And, yes, maybe I've had a faulty unit, meaning a unit with the wrong glue.
    Or maybe not, and all the first batch K1s have the same fault... its an interesting question, of course.
    If I had to bet, I'd bet for "my faulty unit" , but science is science:
    we need some objective, repeatable, measuring data.

And you are perfect for that, seen that you have an already damaged K1!

If you have a thermometer, like the one I used, and a ventilated oven, you can try to repeat my test, i.e. your damaged K1 in the oven for some minutes at 60-62, and then for 4/5 hours at 50/55 C (more towards 50).
    So, you repeated exactly the steps I've done for my glue to melt.

Then, if after this test your screen is still firmly attached, great, we've found the definitive answer, meaning that only some K1s have the wrong glue.
    If on the other side your glue will melt too, we will be still with the doubt.

Moreover, I think that, likely, it would be enough some seconds/minutes of hair dryer to have the glue melting, in case of faulty units, then its possible to detach the screen and reattach it with proper glue / adhesive.

But, back to your first saltwater damaged K1... maybe you know the temperature of your oven when you made the recover try?

P.S. About direct sunlight... if your K1 was submerged in rice, then I think its temperature maybe was not so high like if it was, so to speak, naked under the sun...
    But maybe I'm wrong.
    We need measurements!

PP.SS. Or maybe having a phone at 60 C, also if for 2-3 minutes, and / or for some hours at 50-55 C, leads to its glue melting, and this is the correct behaviour of the smartphones glue.
    Luckily, I have some old smartphones here, I'll try it tomorrow.
    Science is calling.
    Ah, I didn't realise that was you, lol. Anything for science! I'd need to get a thermometer first. My oven wasn't as warm as yours when I tried it, but I had it in there for about 12 hours all together I seem to remember. As for the direct sunlight, I'm embarrassed to say I did that several times and the temperatures was high, probably like 50-60 degrees Celsius. I left it in rice like that for almost a whole day while in Acapulco where the temperature was even higher. When I did it at home I'm embarrassed (again) to say I only had it wrapped in some paper towels.

Hmm, I'd really like to repeat your test, but after checking my old K1 today, being unable to reattach the back cover due to the battery having expanded/bulged, I'd honestly be scared of an explosion... What I could do is buy a thermometer and leave it naked, but at a safe distance in direct sunlight...
    07-27-17 10:21 PM
    What I could do is buy a thermometer and leave it naked, but at a safe distance in direct sunlight...
    Yes, it would be perfect!
    What is relevant is the temperature measurement and the duration of heat exposure.
    07-27-17 10:55 PM
    ....you don't want to get a reputation (wait for it ....)

FOR BEING HALF-BAKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    LMAO

But seriously, I don't understand all the critics in this thread. I found this experiment interesting and potentially educational.

It was definitely more scientific than those popular "will it blend" videos.

Posted via CB10
    PantherBlitz and FF22 like this.
    07-28-17 08:46 AM
    LMAO

But seriously, I don't understand all the critics in this thread. I found this experiment interesting and potentially educational.

It was definitely more scientific than those popular "will it blend" videos.

Posted via CB10
    I agree.

Legitimate experiment and well done.

I guess the Australians will have to repeat the experiment, but with a barbie instead of oven ...
    07-28-17 11:10 AM
    Hey, nothing wrong with some experimentation. As indicated, a dash in a car can get very hot on a sunny day. While there are sometimes instructions not to leave things on the dash, it can sometimes happen. Actually, I'm sure that my leather seats can also hit those temps on a hot day.

By the way, 55C is approx 131F.
    Yes, and that heat is not at all out of line with the heat a lot of these phones see, in a car, or even in normal use.

As a side note, I have often used the oven on a low heat like this to drive out moisture from electronics, including phones.

My phones have seen that much heat often, on a bicycle in a black handlebar bag while commuting in 100 degree heat, and on bicycle tours. They also have seen that much heat while in a tank bag on a motorcycle for 15 hour trips in the heat of Summer. Just because it is "only" 100F out, doesn't mean it isn't hotter inside a bag sitting in the sun, or inside a locked car.
    FF22 likes this.
    07-28-17 11:27 AM
53 123