Interesting.
    I had just assumed that us getting Oreo on our BBB100-7 KeyOne devices at the same time as the the others was a given.
    Didn't think that Optimus could potentially throw a wrench in that plan.
    While BlackBerry makes it sound like they are at the forefront of updates.... it really comes down to the three licensees to provide the overall package for their hardware. So it is a team effort, BlackBerry can't do anything for the Aurora. If TCL ends BBMo, BlackBerry won't be able to do anything for owners of BBMo devices either.

Now going forward, Project Treble is suppose to allow Google to do key updates to the OS.... that won't affect hardware specific drivers or OEM apps. We will see how that works out in general, but specifically with BlackBerry's special treatment of the OS.

As for the same time... from a support standpoint, it makes sense to separate the release of a new device from the updating of an existing one. Couple of weeks should be fine, unless an issue arises.
    06-12-18 10:32 AM
    Wow so means there's would be an update to oreo in keyone soon ?
    They announced that the KEYone and Motion would receive updates later this year. You can't really expect them to release O on the KEYone and Motion before they release a new device. The KEY2 will launch with O and I expect like others have said probably expect a update to the KEyone and Motion about a month or two after .

Thats my guess
    Last edited by Carjackd; 06-13-18 at 12:24 AM.
    cyberponcho likes this.
    06-13-18 12:07 AM
    Bloody good news! Bring it
    06-13-18 01:36 AM
    Where there's milk, there's a way....
    Very clever!
    FF22 likes this.
    06-13-18 01:40 AM
    They announced that the KEYone and Motion would receive updates later this year. You can't really expect them to release O on the KEYone and Motion before they release a new device. The KEY2 will launch with O and I expect like others have said probably expect a update to the KEyone and Motion about a month or two after .

Thats my guess
    Why not expect it?

Apple releases their software updates before the new phones come out.

Most OEM's are updating 2nd or 3rd tier devices at this point - my S7 already has OREO. It's one thing if your new device launches around the time that users would expect to see an update.... it's another thing if it's a couple of months before the next big update is pushed out.

"updates" was one of the hallmarks that the new BlackBerry is built on... just think a Feb release might have helped the brand more than artificially waiting until the next phone was launched. If there are any enterprise shops testing the KEYone, it clearly will be the last device in their fleet to see OREO.

Is that really a bad thing, maybe not. But BBMo is the underdog, they are the ones that have to prove themselves as better than Samsung or Apple. This doesn't do that...
    06-13-18 07:43 AM
    Why not expect it?

Most OEM's are updating 2nd or 3rd tier devices at this point - my S7 already has OREO. It's one thing if your new device launches around the time that users would expect to see an update.... it's another thing if it's a couple of months before the next big update is pushed out.

"updates" was one of the hallmarks that the new BlackBerry is built on... just think a Feb release might have helped the brand more than artificially waiting until the next phone was launched. If there are any enterprise shops testing the KEYone, it clearly will be the last device in their fleet to see OREO.

Is that really a bad thing, maybe not. But BBMo is the underdog, they are the ones that have to prove themselves as better than Samsung or Apple. This doesn't do that...
    Based on specific lists of features, BlackBerry makes more modifications to the Android it receives from Google than any other Android shop. Many of us choose BlackBerry for that very reason. It stands to reason that they will take longer to release the updated version. If you want sock Android, with fast version upgrades look elsewhere. That's the reality.

Me, I couldn't care less, so long as I get O before the patching of N ends.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    Carjackd, bibbula and hec666 like this.
    06-13-18 07:58 AM
    awesome news, thanks for the update!
    06-13-18 08:01 AM
    Why not expect it?

Because it's not Apple . Why does everyone have to do things the way apple does things? Are they the perfect business model for the smartphone industry? They have made plenty of mistakes too.

It only makes sense to me that they release this device and then push it out to the motion and keyone . They can't afford to make mistakes with this launch and with anything they do . It will hinder their turnaround.

They just need to stick to their promises, that is what BlackBerry Ltd didn't do. Bbmo has stuck to them so far. "Later this year" it is
    Last edited by Carjackd; 06-13-18 at 08:46 PM.
    06-13-18 08:16 AM
    Based on specific lists of features, BlackBerry makes more modifications to the Android it receives from Google than any other Android shop. Many of us choose BlackBerry for that very reason. It stands to reason that they will take longer to release the updated version. If you want sock Android, with fast version upgrades look elsewhere. That's the reality.

I agree, everyone is such a rush. Man some folks are going to be disappointed with the changes from n to o. It's mostly a maintenance update .
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    06-13-18 08:17 AM
    Very clever!
    Thank you - one of my favorite candy bars. But also remember a number of nights camping out, tentless, and staring up at the immensity of the starry sky.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    06-13-18 08:46 AM
    I agree, everyone is such a rush. Man some folks are going to be disappointed with the changes from n to o. It's mostly a maintenance update .
    Yes, this was what I was thinking. The incremental changes from L to M were noticeable and then M to N even better with how notifications were improved. What's the big hook for O? Nothing much.

I'm stoked for P. That's the real next big thing to the OS and will bring us closer to our beloved BB10 workflow. I will enjoy the KEY2 for the next 12 months and then will get myself psyched up for KEY3 with Android P in May, 2019!
    06-13-18 08:58 AM
    Why not expect it?

Carjacked already mentioned BBMo isn’t Apple. I’ll expand by saying you need Apple resources to deal with new OS and device rollout simultaneously. BBMo and BB will have it's hands full dealing with Key2 and BBAndroid running Oreo. There will be more problems with KEYone running Oreo because of lower specs. I’m more than willing to wait.
    Carjackd likes this.
    06-13-18 09:13 AM

Based on the listed specifics.... Samsung does all the same "modifications" and then some as their UI is much more intrusive. Yet they have updated this years phone, last years phones and phones from two years ago. And behind Apple they are the biggest supplier to enterprises markets.

Does O make any difference for consumers... not that I've really noticed yet (No More 'Unknown Sources' Settings - have to trust individual apps). But behind the scenes it is a big security update.

If all BBMo is going to end up being is a niche PKB supplier... no the OS updates (features or security) don't really matter. If they want to be recognized as an enterprise supplier... they have to do better than their competition.
    06-13-18 09:25 AM
    Based on the listed specifics.... Samsung does all the same "modifications" and then some as their UI is much more intrusive. Yet they have updated this years phone, last years phones and phones from two years ago. And behind Apple they are the biggest supplier to enterprises markets.

Does O make any difference for consumers... not that I've really noticed yet (No More 'Unknown Sources' Settings - have to trust individual apps). But behind the scenes it is a big security update.

If all BBMo is going to end up being is a niche PKB supplier... no the OS updates (features or security) don't really matter. If they want to be recognized as an enterprise supplier... they have to do better than their competition.
    They’re a long ways from being Enterprise supplier by your definition. They’ll accept Enterprise business that comes their way unlocked or through carriers. Realistically, they’re going to lose some RFPs simply because they have less resources to deal with right now. Like Bill Gates when all he could rely on was his parents resources in the beginning.
    Carjackd likes this.
    06-13-18 09:32 AM
    Thank you - one of my favorite candy bars. But also remember a number of nights camping out, tentless, and staring up at the immensity of the starry sky.
    That's a wonderful tie-in to a memory.
    FF22 likes this.
    06-13-18 12:38 PM
    Because it's not Apple . Why does everyone have to do things the way apple does things? Are they the perfect business model for the the smartphone industry? They have made plenty of mistakes too.

It only makes sense to me that they release this device and then push it out to the motion and keyone . They can't afford to make mistakes with this launch and with anything they do . It will hinder their turnaround.

They just need to stick to their promises, that is what BlackBerry Ltd didn't do. Bbmo has stuck to them so far. "Later this year" it is
    Blackberry could justify the launch of the new OS with the new phone only if they launch new feature in the OS... but blackberry is « pure » android, so they cant justify makes the keyone not updated at the same time as the key2.
    Blackberry can’t us the OS update to Oreo to make people buy the new phone, it’s with new feature in the new phone and higher specs (ram, memory and 2 camera). So please stop finding excuse for blackberry, we are talking about people in this business from many years, so they need to understand in which game they are playing. In this game you need to be trustfull and deliver in right time. So Oreo for keyone and motion just few days after the key2 avaylability thats all. Doing the update at the end of year will kill them definitely.
    06-13-18 05:24 PM
    Blackberry could justify the launch of the new OS with the new phone only if they launch new feature in the OS... but blackberry is « pure » android, so they cant justify makes the keyone not updated at the same time as the key2.
    Blackberry can’t us the OS update to Oreo to make people buy the new phone, it’s with new feature in the new phone and higher specs (ram, memory and 2 camera). So please stop finding excuse for blackberry, we are talking about people in this business from many years, so they need to understand in which game they are playing. In this game you need to be trustfull and deliver in right time. So Oreo for keyone and motion just few days after the key2 avaylability thats all. Doing the update at the end of year will kill them definitely.
    Oh my lord. I got 100 bucks that's says it won't be the end of the year. Care to wager? BlackBerry never said " at the end of the year." In February they said "Later this year" . You take December 31st and I'll take Sept 1. Whoever is closer wins, and I want the under on Sept
    bibbula likes this.
    06-13-18 06:08 PM
    I swear most of you think you are still dealing with BlackBerry Ltd . it is also quite obvious that bbmo learned from their first release but whatever . so much negativity... so little time
    bibbula likes this.
    06-13-18 06:21 PM

Honestly, if I didn't read these forums I would never know when any Android phone receives version upgrades. I have never had a live conversation with another human being where the topic of Android OS versions ever came up, and no one I've ever asked could identify the version on his or her phone without being directed to the settings page and then counting letters beginning with A! I am highly skeptical that this is a buying consideration for many people, and if it is, I would ONLY recommend a Google phone.

06-13-18 06:36 PM
    Honestly, if I didn't read these forums I would never know when any Android phone receives version upgrades. I have never had a live conversation with another human being where the topic of Android OS versions ever came up, and no one I've ever asked could identify the version on his or her phone without being directed to the settings page and then counting letters beginning with A! I am highly skeptical that this is a buying consideration for many people, and if it is, I would ONLY recommend a Google phone.

YES!
    06-13-18 06:52 PM
    So what follows oreo, once that has been rolled out in a few months.
    Profiterole? Pumpkin Pie? Pineapple Pizza?

I haven't actually looked into what candy they went with for P.
    06-13-18 08:28 PM

Nothing official yet, that I’ve seen.
    06-13-18 09:45 PM
    Hopefully pulling down the notification shade with the currency key (a KEY² feature, works from every screen!) will come to KEYᵒⁿᵉ with Oreo.
    06-14-18 03:54 AM

I agree... as at this point I'm about the only person not on iOS.

But my post was about enterprise... pretty sure the IT guy in most companies that manages company owned hardware, knows whats up to date and what isn't.
    06-14-18 07:16 AM

Popsicle? Peppermint?
    06-14-18 08:42 AM
106 1234 ...