01-25-19 10:26 AM
420 ... 151617
tools
    As much as I can understand the frustration of not getting a promised update, to me, they took care of me by giving me another option aside from typing on glass. If I had no other options, I'd opt for a KEYone on 7.1 any day over an up-to-date piece of glass.

I would recommend selling off your CDMA KEYone and going for a KEY2 LE (fully VZW compatible) if your budget allows it and if you're not too mad at the brand
    Well the problem is keyone cdma version resale values are a lot less than keyone gsm. No oreo = less value.
    bibbula likes this.
    11-12-18 12:31 PM
    I'm done worrying about the Verizon + BBMo scandals.

It's very simple for me: I'm not leaving Verizon and a keyboard is not enough to make me keep an outdated phone.

My disapproval of BBMo will come in the form of my next phone purchase, which won't be a BlackBerry.

Attrition, silent or otherwise, will be the nail in the coffin for the hardware division of BlackBerry.
    Djcessna1 and FF22 like this.
    11-12-18 05:06 PM
    as we wait for an update that will never come, has anyone else had their phone switch to 3G randomly and lose signal when another phone still has full bars and 4G while right next to the BlackBerry? frustrated
    11-13-18 02:38 PM
    Thank you for contacting BlackBerry® Mobile support. We appreciate your interest in our products, I will be happy to assist you with the update information.

We currently have no received any information at all if the device will be receiving the Oreo update, it is correct that in case of receiving it the update will come directly from us. We will need to wait to see if they send the update to this version you have.

I am sorry I really couldn't answer your question. I would really like to give you a better response on this, but there is so little information we have on it. The case number will be set as resolved
    Who did you contact? What about asking about our very backward security level? Only 4 or 5 months behind.
    zephyr613 likes this.
    11-13-18 06:47 PM
    As much as I can understand the frustration of not getting a promised update, to me, they took care of me by giving me another option aside from typing on glass. If I had no other options, I'd opt for a KEYone on 7.1 any day over an up-to-date piece of glass.

I would recommend selling off your CDMA KEYone and going for a KEY2 LE (fully VZW compatible) if your budget allows it and if you're not too mad at the brand
    And you want to give up navigating with the keyboard and being, well, as you put it, relegated to GLASS to do any editing!!!
    11-13-18 06:48 PM
    Yes, where are the N updates if we don't get Oreo?
    zephyr613 likes this.
    11-13-18 06:48 PM
    And you want to give up navigating with the keyboard and being, well, as you put it, relegated to GLASS to do any editing!!!
    Not sure what you meant
    11-14-18 04:48 AM
    Not sure what you meant
    The "lite" does not have the capacitive keyboard. So in order to navigate around the screen to edit the text means navigating by touching the screen. A true pain in the ash.
    11-14-18 08:25 AM
    It's been five weeks since this thread has had any new posts. So, I guess this means nobody on VZW in the US has seen an Oreo update on their K1, and we can pretty much forget about it every happening?
    12-25-18 01:13 AM
    That's my impression, too; everyone's given up. Android 8 on my K1 is a gating requirement for me ever buying another BlackBerry.

I paid good money for this phone, and it rubs me the wrong way to see BlackBerry spending time and money pushing new phones without following through with their promise of regular software updates.

Oh well. I'll just keep dreaming about the alternate universe where the superior BB10 OS remained viable
    12-25-18 08:00 AM
    Yeah, hope is lost and they were working with VZW on the LE which kinda rubs salt in the wound.
    12-25-18 01:38 PM
    Since BB managed to give the rest of us non-CDMA KEYone owners the Oreo update, wouldn’t this be attributable to carriers themselves. I mean even my carrier-locked AT&T KEYone got Oreo. BTW side note, there was never any WFC on my carrier sold device and the Oreo update took away my VoLTE service.

Think what you want but in North America, both USA and Canada, the carriers are calling the shots, hiding behind the fact they own the networks.
    12-25-18 01:48 PM
    Whether the problem at the end was due to the carrier or TCL, it doesn't change that TCL said there'd be a major OS update. If that was out of their control, the promise was irresponsible. If it was within their control, then we're shafted. I haven't checked yet, but are they suggesting the Key2 LE will also have an OS upgrade in its future?

5Ghz wifi still breaks, I'm on the July security patch, there's no integrated nightmode or ability to turn off the keyboard backlight (been asking for this kinda thing since day 1 on the K1). I'd trade my situation for Oreo without Wifi Calling/VoLTE any day.
    FF22 likes this.
    12-25-18 04:55 PM
    Whether the problem at the end was due to the carrier or TCL, it doesn't change that TCL said there'd be a major OS update. If that was out of their control, the promise was irresponsible. If it was within their control, then we're shafted. I haven't checked yet, but are they suggesting the Key2 LE will also have an OS upgrade in its future?

5Ghz wifi still breaks, I'm on the July security patch, there's no integrated nightmode or ability to turn off the keyboard backlight (been asking for this kinda thing since day 1 on the K1). I'd trade my situation for Oreo without Wifi Calling/VoLTE any day.
    I believe there has been an update or two for the VZW certified KEYone since July and there may be a related thread. I don’t believe any OEM promises OS update and delivers OS update to only part of their customers intentionally. There’s been problems with CDMA KEYone since introduction beginning with supply and even sales channels misidentification.

With Key2 LE, there’s no CDMA so it appears less of a certification process. It appears some have even used an LE SIM to spoof and function a regular Key2 device.

There are additional risks when buying niche devices without carrier sales and support. Too many are too quick to absolve carriers. Go back only couple of years to see how difficult carriers made it to switch devices and used security as issue to block hardware not sold by that carrier. The DNA has always been there from longtime government regulations being used to carrier advantage.
    12-25-18 05:54 PM
    I gave up and got a Note 9 after being with BlackBerry for 8 years if they won't update my phone after only one year with it then i will not stay any longer
    12-25-18 10:05 PM
    I believe there has been an update or two for the VZW certified KEYone since July and there may be a related thread. I don’t believe any OEM promises OS update and delivers OS update to only part of their customers intentionally. There’s been problems with CDMA KEYone since introduction beginning with supply and even sales channels misidentification.

With Key2 LE, there’s no CDMA so it appears less of a certification process. It appears some have even used an LE SIM to spoof and function a regular Key2 device.

There are additional risks when buying niche devices without carrier sales and support. Too many are too quick to absolve carriers. Go back only couple of years to see how difficult carriers made it to switch devices and used security as issue to block hardware not sold by that carrier. The DNA has always been there from longtime government regulations being used to carrier advantage.
    I am still on July 1 as well. And I have manually checked for updates.
    12-26-18 11:35 AM

Do you know the few updates name/builds you mentioned above?
    My K1 is stuck at 7/1 as well. The DTEK is now flagging the phone unsecure.
    12-26-18 12:41 PM
    Do you know the few updates name/builds you mentioned above?
    My K1 is stuck at 7/1 as well. The DTEK is now flagging the phone unsecure.
    Perhaps @conite will help on this. What’s latest update for VZW certified KEYone on 7.1 ?
    12-26-18 08:40 PM
    just received a notice for ABO098 update. anyone else? what's in this patch
    FF22 likes this.
    01-25-19 09:55 AM
    Just Security patch - January 5th.
    FF22 likes this.
    01-25-19 10:26 AM
    "BTW side note, there was never any WFC on my carrier sold device and the Oreo update took away my VoLTE service."
    Maybe that is why VZW is not releasing an Oreo update? AT&T, if VoLTE fails they will continue to have some HSPA+ running for a good while. VZW plans to shutter CDMA at end of 2019, so they definitely do not want any update that would possibly break VoLTE functionality.

(Assuming an Oreo update with working VoLTE...) I wonder if it'd be possible to rig up the "all other models" Oreo update onto BBB100-3, just with no CDMA functionality? Won't help those on Sprint (I don't think they have full LTE or VoLTE rollout yet?) but for VZW + LTE roaming partners it'd work fine.
    04-03-19 09:39 PM
420 ... 151617