Since the January update AAT166 my carrier SIM contact entries(e.g. customer care centre, Helpdesk etc. ) keep multiplying endlessly in BB Contact application. Currently these are literally grown to thousands. I am using custom view, which doesn't show these numbers, but still it is really messy.
    Deleting an entry in Contacts app doesn't cut the process. Restart as well. There is no tool that manages the SIM contacts or SIM data in anyway. Actually I am not sure these entries are from SIM, but there is no other source I can assume they come from. Any ideas what is causing this and how I can get rid of the multiplying entries?
    01-30-18 12:37 AM
    I had the same issue. Try this: 1. Open the Contacts App. 2. At the upper left, select the 3 bars. Options appear. Near the top of the options, select Duplicates. 3. For each set of duplicates shown, there is a Link button - select it. This will merge all of the duplicates. In my case this took care of the issue and I am no longer getting multiplying duplicates. Hope it works for you.
    FF22 and moisito like this.
    01-30-18 07:45 PM
    Since the January update AAT166 my carrier SIM contact entries(e.g. customer care centre, Helpdesk etc. ) keep multiplying endlessly in BB Contact application. Currently these are literally grown to thousands. I am using custom view, which doesn't show these numbers, but still it is really messy.
    Deleting an entry in Contacts app doesn't cut the process. Restart as well. There is no tool that manages the SIM contacts or SIM data in anyway. Actually I am not sure these entries are from SIM, but there is no other source I can assume they come from. Any ideas what is causing this and how I can get rid of the multiplying entries?
    UPDATE TO MY FIRST POST: Looks like I steered you wrong with my first post. Although linking multiple contacts did indeed eliminate the recurring carrier sim contact duplicates (temporarily), upon reboot of my device, I found it was once again duplicating them. After checking in with my carrier (who was stumped and could provide no assistance), I began troubleshooting the issue anew. I believe that I have actually narrowed down the issue this time - knock on wood. I was able to figure out that the issue began about the same time that I received an automatic Google Play Store update to the ominous sounding "Carrier Services," said by Google to, "enable the latest communication services from mobile carriers." It seemed quite possible that an update to this required app (you can uninstall the update, but not the app, itself) could be the problem. I uninstalled the "Carrier Services" update, turned off automatic updates and rebooted my device. So far, after many reboot tests, contact/phone usage trials and time checks, it appears that the app update was indeed the culprit and an uninstall of the "Carrier Services" update may take care of your issue.
    zlatko23 likes this.
    02-03-18 05:07 PM
    @SeeBeeEss
    Linking duplicate contacts was the first thing I tried after noticing the issue. It didn't work for me - device got really hot and sluggish trying to link all the duplicates, as it is not duplicate in my case, but multi-plicate Actually by the time I am writing this I had 1 457 real contacts and 9 672 multiplicate contacts in my Contacts application
    You were right - uninstalling the update of "Carrier services" fixed the multiplication issue for me as well! Thank you!
    02-03-18 08:06 PM
    From my experience you will never be able to fix this issue. I had the same problem when saving contacts to SIM way back on BB10 even. I ended up exporting my contacts saving elsewhere and getting a brand new SIM for this issue to be fixed. saving on SIM is not a good idea in my experience.
    02-03-18 08:11 PM
    @ray689
    As I wrote - uninstalling Carrier services update fixes the described issue. The bug is not related to saving contacts on SIM, I never do that. It is related to Carrier service numbers read from SIM I guess.
    02-03-18 08:23 PM
    And as of today my carrier SIM contacts started multiplying again. I haven't accidentally updated "Carrier services" application, just checked.
    02-05-18 12:50 AM
    Very strange! Same with me. I continue to try different things to figure out the issue. Troubleshooting can often be a process of elimination.

This doesn't appear to be an issue generic to all KEYones because not everyone is complaining. We can probably rule out carrier sim card because we have different carriers. We can eliminate system build updates because we have different system builds.

The fact that uninstalling the Carrier Services update worked temporarily would appear to indicate that the app is involved at some level.

I have tried many different combinations of stopping services, disallowing permissions, turning options on and off, etc. to no avail.

What other productivity apps are you running that might be a contributor to the issue, such as backup apps, file management apps, communication apps, etc.? It would be interesting to know if you and I are using a common app or apps that others aren't using which might somehow be contributing to the issue.
    Last edited by SeeBeeEss; 02-05-18 at 08:08 AM.
    02-05-18 07:43 AM
    @SeeBeeEss
    I don't use that many apps that can influence this behaviour - I use File Commander as file manager, Hangouts and Textra for communication...that is all there is. Nothing "exotic" on my device. This is annoying issue as in some occasions Contacts app defaults to "All Contacts" view and after opening it I get an "endless" list of one and the same carrier contact number
    02-05-18 01:04 PM
    Not everyone is complaining because very few people save contacts to SIM card anymore. as I mentioned earlier I tried everything and the only fix that truly worked was to move contacts to an email and get a new SIM.
    02-05-18 07:56 PM
    Not everyone is complaining because very few people save contacts to SIM card anymore. as I mentioned earlier I tried everything and the only fix that truly worked was to move contacts to an email and get a new SIM.
    As noted by Zlatko23, the Contacts that are self-duplicating are not contacts saved by the user to the SIM card, they are carrier service contact numbers pre-installed by the carrier onto the SIM card. On my carrier's SIM card, they are Taxi, Directory Assistance, General Inquiries, Technical Support (Canada) and Technical Support (International). My carrier does not offer a SIM card without these carrier service contacts and there is no way to remove them from the SIM card. These carrier service contact numbers were also pre-installed on the carrier's SIM card for my Passport, Z30 and a previous Android device without issue. The self-duplicating carrier service contact numbers are a new and recent event for my KEYone.

The search for an explanation and fix continues. 😁
    02-06-18 02:01 AM
    @SeeBeeEss
    I don't use that many apps that can influence this behaviour - I use File Commander as file manager, Hangouts and Textra for communication...that is all there is. Nothing "exotic" on my device. This is annoying issue as in some occasions Contacts app defaults to "All Contacts" view and after opening it I get an "endless" list of one and the same carrier contact number
    It appears that Textra is our only common productivity app, but in reviewing the settings, I can think of no logical reason that this app could be responsible for the duplicating carrier service contacts. I also had a file manager app installed - in my case, Solid Explorer - but I recently uninstalled it in favour of the new BlackBerry file app with no change to the duplicating carrier service contacts bug. For whatever reason, although we have the same issue, yours appears to be worse than mine (you appear to be getting greater numbers of duplicates than I am and my app is not defaulting to All Contacts view). My duplicating carrier service contacts have, so far, shown no clear patterns to help explain the event.

I did send an email to Google about the bug and their Carrier Services app.

Personally, I have never seen such a crazy thing (although I remember troubleshooting some pretty weird stuff with Windows and other software not playing nice together in the "olden days" 😂). The search for an explanation and fix continues and I will keep you apprised of anything that comes my way.
    02-06-18 02:35 AM
    Agree - it's crazy I am now at 1000+ duplicate entries and counting
    I will write back should I notice any pattern or a hint what can cause this issue.
    02-06-18 02:42 AM
    I had to deselect WhatsApp from the accounts list in contacts because the app auto added contacts from my contacts and then duplicated the list in the contacts app. Wonder if deselecting Textra might help.
    02-06-18 07:15 AM
    I had to deselect WhatsApp from the accounts list in contacts because the app auto added contacts from my contacts and then duplicated the list in the contacts app. Wonder if deselecting Textra might help.
    Thanks for the suggestion. It's appreciated. However, Textra isn't in the accounts list.
    02-06-18 08:04 AM
    Hi zlatko23,

I too posted a thread about this with pictures yesterday.

Misery loves company - so glad it's not just me and we are all working on a solution.

I will be checking in on this thread. Hoping Google gets back to you.

Cheers!
    02-09-18 08:53 PM
    UPDATE: Didn't really think it was the issue, but you have to look at every possibility and my carrier felt it could be - I can confirm that the issue isn't the SIM card. I replaced mine on my carrier's recommendation and I am still getting the self-replicating service contacts. I have spoken to multiple techs, tech supervisors, etc. and my carrier is absolutely stumped.

Amusingly, I keep thinking that I have discovered a pattern or setting that fixes the issue and then the darned thing changes its behaviour and throws my latest theory off!

I am continuing to look for commonalities in apps, app combinations, history, settings, etc. for those of us with the issue that don't apply to others who are not having the issue. Zlatko23 and BCGrog, can you indicate if any of the following apply to you?

1. Did you use the Content Transfer app to move information from a BB10 device to your KEYone?
    2. Did you use the Content Transfer app to move information from another Android device (including another KEYone) to your KEYone?
    2. Is your KEYone original or a replacement?
    3. Do you use a backup app? Which one?
    4. BCGrog, are you using Textra?

The issue would most likely be corrected with a factory reset, but I would prefer to sleuth it a bit longer and look at other possibilities first. If either of you get frustrated enough to do a factory reset, let us know the results!
    02-10-18 08:20 AM
    @SeeBeeEss
    1. I used BB transfer to move from another Android device.
    2. Original device
    3. I use the stock back-up option in Keyone

Thank you for not giving up on this issue
    02-10-18 09:56 AM
    Hi Seebees,

1) Did not use content transfer from BB10.
    2) Did not use content transfer from Android or any other device.
    3) Brand new original sealed phone about three weeks old.
    4) Do not use a backup App or even Google back up.
    5) Do not use Textra.

Further info: my company is Google centric using all gmail, but I don't use any other apps.

Only downloaded and installed non stock apps are Accuweather, Salesforce and Crackberry app. Company enforces policy with Device Policy.
    02-10-18 12:35 PM
    Just got a Carrier service update via Playstore. So far Contacts behave OK, but it has only been like an hour. I will keep monitoring and report back.
    02-13-18 10:16 AM
    Add this to your dilemma, I too noticed the problem with TMO USA, I'm getting 411, customer service and voicemail numbers multiplying themselves. I put my SIM back in my Priv to see if the SIM was faulty, and haven't seen the problem sense.

My Priv has all the same application set the same way as my new KeyOne with the exception of the OS itself. One of those things that makes you go, "HHHhhhmmm???"
    FF22 likes this.
    02-13-18 11:19 AM
    I'll throw my Hat in here too! Bell is my carriers, Thousands of the contact dupes now. Keyone Black Ed, no back-ups. I don't use textra, I don't contacts to sim. I've installed several different contact management apps and have the same issue, and I've tried to delete the numbers from SIM to no avail.
    02-13-18 04:07 PM
    Another bit of info, I did a complete factory reset and let the phone boot without entering any google account information and I still have the problem. I have nothing but the stock apps, nothing on my SD Card, just a stock phone with a SIM card and the three contacts on the SIM (411, customer service and voicemail) are already multiplying. I guess this phone is going back...
    02-13-18 05:14 PM
    Another bit of info, I did a complete factory reset and let the phone boot without entering any google account information and I still have the problem. I have nothing but the stock apps, nothing on my SD Card, just a stock phone with a SIM card and the three contacts on the SIM (411, customer service and voicemail) are already multiplying. I guess this phone is going back...
    Remove the contents from the SIM. Make them "local" instead.
    02-13-18 05:41 PM
    Remove the contents from the SIM. Make them "local" instead.
    Tried deleting them but I guess TMO has them forced into the SIM because they come right back. I put the SIM back into my Priv and confirmed it doesn't have this problem.
    02-13-18 06:05 PM
77 123 ...