Still haven't received any further software updates for BBB100-1 (63116-039); still stuck on ABD796.

So I got myself a OnePlus 6T unlocked (direct from OnePlus). Price point is about the same as the KEYone had been at time of purchase.

Here's what I like about the 6T:

• Android Pie -- they even pushed an update after launch
    • Current security patch - on November (and its November)
    • VoWiFi settings - work on T-Mobile (like they used to on my KEYone on Nougat)
    • VVM (native Visual Voicemail) - works on T-Mobile (like it used to on my KEYone on Nougat)
    • It's super fast (but that doesn't matter to me that much)
    • It has a 3-position volume switch on the side (but on my KEYone I just mapped the convenience button to do the same)
    • It has band 71 600MHz (which I don't think will be rolled out to the San Francisco Bay Area so meh)
    • It has the VoWiFi and VoLTE icons in the notification bar (like my KEYone did on Nougat)
    • Properly functioning wireless - my KEYone has a tendency to drop at least once during any call that is at least 30 minutes long or I will experience moments of silence --> I think both of these issues may be related to the flakey wireless in the KEYone since I'm usually on VoWiFi when this happens
    • Can maintain a VoWiFi connection - the KEYone is activating and deactivating VoWiFi throughout my apartment...the 6T doesn't do this at all.
    • Dual SIM support - The T-Mobile version has a dual SIM tray but only supports one SIM...it has been software disabled (pretty lame).

Here's what I like about the KEYone:

• It's slightly smaller (the 6T feels a bit awkward to hold, just a tad wider than the KEYone).
    • Its build construction feels vastly superior to that of the 6T (except for the mushy PKB)
    • It has a headphone jack (I finally gave in on the 6T after reading that Samsung is likely to ditch the jack too)
    • It has a notification light (although in a way I find it less stressful to not have the light maybe)
    • The keyboard is always there (seriously, if you are learning a language and use Google Translate, having to click in the text area to get the keyboard back every time is a huge drag, with the KEYone you can just keep on looking up new words/phrases again and again and again
    • The BlackBerry Hub (oh jeez, this is one way to remind yourself about how crappy it is to have to switch between different apps...)
    • Insane battery life (the 6T has a huge battery, BUT I don't have the confidence I did with the KEYone where I wasn't ever worried when my battery hit 20% as I exited the apartment)
    • USB 3.1 - (Yup, the 6T has a USB-C interface that only supports USB 2.0...that's so they could implement fast charging supposedly...sigh).
    • Fingerprint reader in the space bar turns on the device (to use the 6T under screen fingerprint reader you first have to turn the screen on, you'd think they could have implement a proximity sensor of some sort).

So there you go. Pick your poison I guess. The one thing I'm debating is whether to install BlackBerry software on the 6T. Without a doubt, the KEYone could have used a second iteration for refinement but it also needs better software support from BBMo. Why my particular device version has been abandoned or de-prioritized this way is just unacceptable.
    11-16-18 07:17 PM
    It is almost my case but with 63117-035 and OnePlus 6.
    I was planning to try blackberry software too, but I don't like the hub on Android that much and some apps like tasks and notes don't integrate with Google suite which is our corporate collaboration tool, so finally I'm on OnePlus' stock Android.
    11-17-18 09:55 AM
    Yes you can run as many apps at one time as your heart desires.

The slider on the side is a profile switch for three profiles that you don't have to wake the phone to set.

I would have chosen these Oneplus 6 instead for the headphone jack, fingerprint reader and LED

Battery?
    Let's not forget Oneplus has the fastest charging in the smartphone industry "Dash charging "

Swipe gestures:
    As of the Oneplus 5 and up, there is swipe gestures on oreo. It actually works well and just like on BB10.
    Last edited by The_Passporter; 11-18-18 at 07:29 AM.
    11-17-18 10:46 AM
    If you want a keyboard, go for a KEY2 or KEY2 LE if in your budget. They are snappier and more refined than the KEYone.
    11-17-18 04:53 PM
    Battery?
    Let's not forget Oneplus has the fastest charging in the smartphone industry "Dash charging ".
    I always felt the KEYone charged pretty quickly (at least for my use). Another thing I miss, come to think of it, is the charging status line animation thingie that BlackBerry does: I'm referring to the always on line that draws from the bottom center of the screen and crawls around the corner and up to the top-right of the screen...changing colors along the way. I loved that. Showed it to someone with a Pixel when I first got the KEYone and they were like, "No, I don't have that, must be a BlackBerry thing. Cool!"

But yes, Dash is pretty fast considering it's a big battery but you do lose USB-3.1 because of it. Not that I can recall the last time I transferred anything off of my phone with USB....

I did consider the 6 instead of the 6t but the smaller notch makes more sense.
    11-18-18 06:38 PM
    If you want a keyboard, go for a KEY2 or KEY2 LE if in your budget. They are snappier and more refined than the KEYone.
    I never would have considered a KEY2 LE. The capacitive keyboard is something I used all of the time, whether for swiping up to completions or scrolling. Or double tapping to get that movable black cursor error -- jeez, yet another feature that is sadly missed now.

The BlackBerry devices have a lot to offer but they're just poorly supported. TCL made a huge mistake by deciding to create so many different SKUs...it's just impossible to support.
    FF22 likes this.
    11-18-18 06:41 PM
    I always felt the KEYone charged pretty quickly (at least for my use). Another thing I miss, come to think of it, is the charging status line animation thingie that BlackBerry does: I'm referring to the always on line that draws from the bottom center of the screen and crawls around the corner and up to the top-right of the screen...changing colors along the way. I loved that. Showed it to someone with a Pixel when I first got the KEYone and they were like, "No, I don't have that, must be a BlackBerry thing. Cool!"

But yes, Dash is pretty fast considering it's a big battery but you do lose USB-3.1 because of it. Not that I can recall the last time I transferred anything off of my phone with USB....

I did consider the 6 instead of the 6t but the smaller notch makes more sense.
    I believe the Keyone fast charges up to 60% then slows. Dash charging charges at its fast speed up to 100%.

I have OTG on the Oneplus so I don't have a problem. Haven't plugged it into my computer if that is what you mean but I will be now. I'll get back to ya soon
    11-19-18 05:23 PM
    OnePlus6 offers great value. The reason why I like blackberry KEYone better is because OnePlus6 looks like another billion phones out there. Blackberry on the other hand is niche phone with unique styling and looks. It is just different and this is what I like about it....in addition to great battery life, physical keyboard and top notch security.

So if you want a deal get OnePlus and I am sure you will be happy with it. You want to be unique and more efficient pick BlackBerry.
    the_boon and arif b santoso like this.
    11-20-18 10:19 AM
    Has anyone been able to migrate from a KeyONE to a OnePlus 6T? The OnePlus Switch app isn't compatible with the KeyONE. I'm going to give the OP 6T a spin as I'm getting more and more disappointed in the KeyONE. Between the poor voice quality, handover from WiFi to Cellular, and lagging response in some apps, I'm just losing my taste for the KeyONE.
    11-22-18 08:05 PM
    Has anyone been able to migrate from a KeyONE to a OnePlus 6T? The OnePlus Switch app isn't compatible with the KeyONE. I'm going to give the OP 6T a spin as I'm getting more and more disappointed in the KeyONE. Between the poor voice quality, handover from WiFi to Cellular, and lagging response in some apps, I'm just losing my taste for the KeyONE.
    My OnePlus 6t is arriving today. I'll let you know what the switch is like.

Having said that I intend on just using the regular android nfc or Google back up method to transfer stuff over from my Key².
    11-22-18 08:31 PM
    My OnePlus 6t is arriving today. I'll let you know what the switch is like.

Having said that I intend on just using the regular android nfc or Google back up method to transfer stuff over from my Key².
    Thanks. Looking forward to your experience. Mine should be here Monday.
    11-22-18 08:33 PM
    The beauty just arrived. I'll let u know once done.
    Attached Thumbnails OnePlus 6T vs BlackBerry KEYone (Black ed., unlocked)-73599.jpg  
    Last edited by naijab0y; 11-23-18 at 10:39 PM.
    11-23-18 06:05 AM
    All I did was use the Google back up that copies data and apps from old to new phone using the Google app.
    Attached Thumbnails OnePlus 6T vs BlackBerry KEYone (Black ed., unlocked)-79273.jpg  
    11-23-18 07:47 AM
    Attached Thumbnails OnePlus 6T vs BlackBerry KEYone (Black ed., unlocked)-79271.jpg  
    11-23-18 07:48 AM
    I used the top option.
    Attached Thumbnails OnePlus 6T vs BlackBerry KEYone (Black ed., unlocked)-79272.jpg  
    11-23-18 07:49 AM
    I used the top option.
    So what's your early opinion on the new device?
    11-23-18 06:44 PM
    So what's your early opinion on the new device?
    Truthfully.. I feel sad that BlackBerry has been short changing us fans for a long time.

Even i somehow forced myself to believe i needed a pkb and some dtek security whatever. In my honest opinion.. i fell for the marketing and bought into it. I got played. Already added my work account and the assessment says my phone is secure and meets the requirements. What more do I need???

I'm not gonna run through everything i like and don't like etc cos it's never the same for everyone. Watch the reviews and make up your own mind.

One thing I'll say though.. numbers don't lie. The reviews are overwhelmingly positive across the globe. They all can't be wrong.

One more thing.. for anyone to say the Key² is built better than this phone is a lie. The Key² felt not as well constructed as the KEYᵒⁿᵉ. The OnePlus 6T is KEYᵒⁿᵉ level construction at the very least. I think potentially a little better.

My last virtual keyboard phone was the dtek60 and I'm so glad to be back. I even have all the BlackBerry apps as they all copied over. I don't miss the pkb at all and what you gain with screen real estate is to die for. Also, because I was already used to the fingerprint reader set up on the Key² and KEYᵒⁿᵉ.. i set up the OnePlus own very well and it has not failed once. It's just as good as the one on both Key² and KEYᵒⁿᵉ. Plus the face unlock works in the dark. It's fantastic.

Every app nowadays are made for a screen like this and for a virtual keyboard by design so the app experience is just better. I even just installed the Google camera so you know the pictures are gonna be fantastic.

I'm happy.

BlackBerry Mobile aka TCL needs step up, give it's fans what they want and do a whole lot more. Enough of the overpriced low end camera and hardware. I love physical keyboards too but for 99% of the world.. they are archaic and a hindrance. I find I'm making a lot less mistakes with this vkb. I can even change the size so I'm even more accurate. Autocorrect has come a long way. The Google keyboard is really really good.

Again.. numbers don't lie.
    Last edited by naijab0y; 11-23-18 at 11:47 PM.
    11-23-18 10:57 PM
    Truthfully.. I feel sad that BlackBerry has been short changing us fans for a long time.

Even i somehow forced myself to believe i needed a pkb and some dtek security whatever. In my honest opinion.. i fell for the marketing and bought into it. I got played. Already added my work account and the assessment says my phone is secure and meets the requirements. What more do I need???

I'm not gonna run through everything i like and don't like etc cos it's never the same for everyone. Watch the reviews and make up your own mind.

One thing I'll say though.. numbers don't lie. The reviews are overwhelmingly positive across the globe. They all can't be wrong.

One more thing.. for anyone to say the Key² is built better than this phone is a lie. The Key² felt not as well constructed as the KEYᵒⁿᵉ. The OnePlus 6T is KEYᵒⁿᵉ level construction at the very least. I think potentially a little better.

My last virtual keyboard phone was the dtek60 and I'm so glad to be back. I even have all the BlackBerry apps as they all copied over. I don't miss the pkb at all and what you gain with screen real estate is to die for. Also, because I was already used to the fingerprint reader set up on the Key² and KEYᵒⁿᵉ.. i set up the OnePlus own very well and it has not failed once. It's just as good as the one on both Key² and KEYᵒⁿᵉ. Plus the face unlock works in the dark. It's fantastic.

Every app nowadays are made for a screen like this and for a virtual keyboard by design so the app experience is just better. I even just installed the Google camera so you know the pictures are gonna be fantastic.

I'm happy.

BlackBerry Mobile aka TCL needs step up, give it's fans what they want and do a whole lot more. Enough of the overpriced low end camera and hardware. I love physical keyboards too but for 99% of the world.. they are archaic and a hindrance. I find I'm making a lot less mistakes with this vkb. I can even change the size so I'm even more accurate. Autocorrect has come a long way. The Google keyboard is really really good.

Totally agree
    11-24-18 02:33 AM

I'm happy.

And OnePlus and all these other slab OEM's aren't pushing the marketing trick of making you think you NEED a snapdragon 845, a huge AMOLED display and a fragile back glass panel ?

OnePlus 6 owners aren't "played" by the company that released a better version of theirs just 6 months after ?
    Talk about annualization of smartphones, these guys are making it semestrial.

And the ONLY advantage of having a glass back is wireless charging, and it's not there with OnePlus. Also, the advantage of having a slab these days is IP rating, and OnePlus doesn't have it either.

It's a piece of glass, a very nice one for the price but still a piece of glass, and I'm not falling for that marketing
    stlabrat likes this.
    11-24-18 12:48 PM
    And OnePlus and all these other slab OEM's aren't pushing the marketing trick of making you think you NEED a snapdragon 845, a huge AMOLED display and a fragile back glass panel ?

OnePlus 6 owners aren't "played" by the company that released a better version of theirs just 6 months after ?

And the ONLY advantage of having a glass back is wireless charging, and it's not there with OnePlus. Also, the advantage of having a slab these days is IP rating, and OnePlus doesn't have it either.

It's a piece of glass, a very nice one for the price but still a piece of glass, and I'm not falling for that marketing
    OK. 👌
    11-24-18 01:18 PM

And all hail PKB!

LOL
    11-24-18 07:15 PM
    No one is being "played". If you know the brand, then you know they release new phones every 6 months.

With regard to the 845, not everyone needs a super fast phone but those that do want one will appreciate the 6t, along with the huge screen. The glass panel on the back is, admittedly, something I don't see the point of at all when there's no wireless charging.

Another point I will make is that although my KEYone, unlocked Black edition, is STILL waiting for an update since August, and TCL is making one excuse after another why PRD 63116-039 has not been updated, the 6t has been updated several times since I received it a couple of weeks ago.
    11-28-18 01:35 PM
    I used the top option.
    Late to the party since I've abandoned my KEYone since receiving the 6t... But I chose the second option. You will have the opportunity to deselect whichever apps you don't want, so I deselected all of the BlackBerry apps.

You will end up with two Contacts apps, two Messages apps. In each case, one is the Oxygen OS one, and the second is the Google native one that you had on the BlackBerry. I later ended up disabling the Oxygen OS ones as I just want to use the Google native apps.

There's also weirdness in that Oxygen OS supplies a Gallery app that is different but not really a replacement for the Google Photos app; the latter lets you see your photos that are in Google cloud but not on the phone, which is the experience you get on the BlackBerry. I'll probably disable the native Gallery app as well at some point. It is nice that BlackBerry doesn't mess with those native apps by providing duplicates that are supposed to be "better" but always end up being worse.
    11-28-18 01:40 PM
    Late to the party since I've abandoned my KEYone since receiving the 6t... But I chose the second option. You will have the opportunity to deselect whichever apps you don't want, so I deselected all of the BlackBerry apps.

You will end up with two Contacts apps, two Messages apps. In each case, one is the Oxygen OS one, and the second is the Google native one that you had on the BlackBerry. I later ended up disabling the Oxygen OS ones as I just want to use the Google native apps.

There's also weirdness in that Oxygen OS supplies a Gallery app that is different but not really a replacement for the Google Photos app; the latter lets you see your photos that are in Google cloud but not on the phone, which is the experience you get on the BlackBerry. I'll probably disable the native Gallery app as well at some point. It is nice that BlackBerry doesn't mess with those native apps by providing duplicates that are supposed to be "better" but always end up being worse.
    Actually on the first option it gives you the option to install all apps or review them too. The difference is it uses what is currently installed and settings on the phones as opposed to what was backed up to the cloud. The back up to the cloud does not back up every setting on the phone.

Also, the contacts app on BlackBerry phones is not the Google contacts app. It's BlackBerry's own version and you need to have BlackBerry Hub Suite installed to use it.

BTW.. I'm loving this phone big time. The screen compared to the Key² makes my feel like wtf BlackBerry. One bit of advice tho.. Get the Google camera and you won't regret it.
    rolfep and recursor like this.
    11-28-18 01:58 PM

Dude you cannot deny the price of Oneplus branded phones is more value for less money than any other brands. You just can't argue the bargain.
    I have had select issues with my Oneplus 3T just like any phone has a few, one way or another. Overall my Oneplus 3T is still chugging along at amazing speeds and continues to impress me everyday how it still performs like it has day one, unlike many other android phones. (Keyone).
    Latest I hear the Oneplus 3T is getting Android Pie and I am still continuously getting updates. Waiting for a reason to upgrade but don't see one through my binoculars
    Last edited by The_Passporter; 01-25-19 at 05:57 AM.
    01-24-19 08:39 PM
33 12