Is why they have those three capacitive buttons above the keyboard.
    It's not like we're afraid of physical buttons like, really.

What are some things that would have prevented them from placing three physical buttons there?

Posted via CB10
    05-08-17 09:59 PM

What are some things that would have prevented them from placing three physical buttons there?

Posted via CB10
    Loss of screen space. Period.
    05-08-17 10:16 PM

Posted via CB10
    Physical buttons?? Forget that!! Would much prefer virtual.
    05-08-17 10:18 PM
    I'd be on-board for physical buttons, too. That's me as a BlackBerry fan though - it may scare off some possible slab Android converts.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-17 10:26 PM
    Yup, it really doesn't make sense design-wise other than to emphasize that it is an Android device.
    They could have made those into 3 wider but shorter physical buttons. There could even be enough space left on the left and right of that row to add more functional buttons, e. g., the call and end-call buttons - which is afterall BBish
    Last edited by yujinn; 05-09-17 at 01:18 AM. Reason: autocorrect on my VKB
    05-09-17 01:16 AM
    My question is why those 3 buttons are not simply part of the screen itself like on the Priv???? What a waste of space for more screen
    05-09-17 01:21 AM
    Not only that, but it's interfering with home button swipe gestures.

I HATE these capacitive keys!
    05-09-17 01:40 AM
    My question is why those 3 buttons are not simply part of the screen itself like on the Priv???? What a waste of space for more screen
    Android doesn't support arbitrary screen sizes. So you would have to reduce the currently available screen estate to show the buttons.
    05-09-17 01:46 AM
    Answer is simple here.
    Even if the buttons were part of the screen you couldn't use it anyway because they are nearly all the time visible. So lost screen space anyway. And why then having a bigger screen to feed with battery if not necessary.
    05-09-17 01:48 AM
    guess should be some FPC of LCD under, just like other Android phone which is not 4-sides borderless. anyway it let me missing passport.
    05-09-17 02:19 AM
    I'd rather have them used the space to make the keyboard a little taller more in line with the classic.
    But I am really curious to find out the reason for those buttons.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-17 03:48 AM
    The keyboard is fine. They could have made physical buttons and also add Phone buttons on either side of those, to pick and reject a call, true BlackBerry Style 😉

But I believe they wanted it be 2017 version of BlackBerry. They have already tried the Classic style to please us already.
    05-09-17 04:47 AM
    Personally if they couldn't extend the screen due to ratio etc then I would also prefer physical button so not to have accidental button presses.

Do the capacitive button allow for long presses eg google assistant?

If so that probably explains the lack of physical buttons.

I'd like to think there was some kind of delayed response when using the keyboard so not to cause accidental presses. That being said, in landscape, I could totally see myself reaching over with my right thumb and brushing the capacitive keys.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-17 04:56 AM
    Answer is simple here.
    Even if the buttons were part of the screen you couldn't use it anyway because they are nearly all the time visible. So lost screen space anyway. And why then having a bigger screen to feed with battery if not necessary.
    Not when watching videos and using apps since the keys would simply dissappear. But now I understand it was not possible because of the screen ratio
    05-09-17 11:13 AM