When I first set up the KeyOne, I noticed that it isn't as clear as my Priv. So, I understand what you're saying. It's brighter than the Priv but the clarity isn't there. Maybe something with our eyes. I'm digging the KeyOne though. The form factor is perfect in my opinion.
    06-16-17 10:07 AM
    I have a different phone and had adaptive brightness on and it seemed too dim at times. Since I turned it off and set the slider to almost full and then turned it back on it doesn't get near as dim as before and I have left it that way.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    06-16-17 10:27 AM
    I have a different phone and had adaptive brightness on and it seemed too dim at times. Since I turned it off and set the slider to almost full and then turned it back on it doesn't get near as dim as before and I have left it that way.
    OK so this is where I am now. Adaptive brightness off and now slightly dialed back from full blast brightness. And I have taken a few hours to replicate what I had on my Dtek60 ... I am giving this a serious try. Not returning it yet!

PS. I'm beginning to appreciate error-free typing. 😉
    kbz1960 and DolemiteDONS like this.
    06-16-17 12:11 PM
    Anyone with screen issues must have a defective device.

Coming from the PRIV, the screen is way more sharp and clear. Brightness is loads better too.

Turn off adaptive brightness and it becomes seriously bright.

Using adaptive brightness outside and it's easily read in direct sunlight.

The only downside to the display is how reflective it is but that's what you get with an IPS LCD screen.

The screen is crisp and clear. Not seeing how some of you think it's blurry?

The colours are more brighter too than the Priv.
    06-16-17 12:16 PM
    Anyone with screen issues must have a defective device.

Coming from the PRIV, the screen is way more sharp and clear. Brightness is loads better too.

Turn off adaptive brightness and it becomes seriously bright.

Using adaptive brightness outside and it's easily read in direct sunlight.

The only downside to the display is how reflective it is but that's what you get with an IPS LCD screen.

The screen is crisp and clear. Not seeing how some of you think it's blurry?

The colours are more brighter too than the Priv.
    It's definitely not "crisp" , sorry. Not compared to the Dtek60, for sure. The question is adequacy though.
    06-16-17 03:48 PM
    OK Guys! Got my KeyOne the day after release and I honestly loved it from first sight. It doesn't overheat like my Priv does and the battery life is astounding (had to practically keep my Priv on the charger even when not in use).

However, there are several things about my new KeyOne that have given me cause for concern. 1) it won't play all of my notification sounds. 2) the wallpaper won't stop changing even though I have told it to stop this. And 3) there are some issues that come up when I have an app opened and I receive a call (it won't let me answer the call).

So, this KeyOne is going back. Sorry. BUT, I have a new one on the way. It should be here tomorrow. Thank God! I hope it will be problem free.

Can't be without my KeyOne!

Peace...
    06-16-17 07:08 PM
    new post after using it all day. rethinking. I am satisfied with the brightness now. I am not noticing the blurriness anymore (subtle but it is true despite the deniers). I am refreshing my old pkb skills. who knows, I may keep it 😉
    DolemiteDONS and bluesqueen23 like this.
    06-16-17 09:01 PM
    It's not a high end display. One has to temper one's expectations to some degree.
    06-16-17 09:10 PM
    Lordy, lordy, what do some people need their phone to do? It is not supposed to be 17" laptop, 23" desktop or 55" flatscreen for endless hours of use. Isn't a phone for talking on, and pulling out for short bursts of typing emails, other messaging, and scrolling quickly through Facebook, Twitter and banking apps :-) Maybe my smartphone use isn't typical!
    Last edited by stevepar; 06-16-17 at 10:12 PM.
    DolemiteDONS likes this.
    06-16-17 09:11 PM
    Lordy, lordy, what do some people need their phone to do? It is not supposed to be 17" laptop, 23" desktop or 55" flatscreen for endless hours if use. Isn't a phone for talking on, and pulling out for short bursts of typing emails, other messaging, and scrolling quickly through Facebook, Twitter and banking apps :-) Maybe my smartphone use isn't typical!
    You don't realize it but everyone who buys a KeyOne is coming from another device. If this device is worse in its display or in other bread and butter ways than those previous devices, it's a problem. No one is being unrealistic if they are expecting to maintain the level of their old device.
    kbz1960 and MikeX74 like this.
    06-16-17 09:18 PM
    I'm pretty sure the dim screen has to do with faulty units.

There was a user report that had two KEYones and their replacement unit had a brigther screen.

If Flossy says the screen was off I believe him.

I'll assume that's due to faulty displays though - just like how the uneven backlight on the keyboard is a different pattern for each phone, I'm sure the brightness is the same - due to assembly differences per worker.

It is futile imo to attribute the screen dimness as an actual problem to the KEYone in general. I believe it's not uniform across devices - so if your screen is dim, I'd exchange it.

Posted via CB10
    06-16-17 09:22 PM
    Keyone is brighter than Dtek and Priv in real world! I don't know why you are disappointed on brightness.

Posted by Passport SE killed by Whatsppp
    He fixed it. Adaptive brightness was on.
    06-17-17 01:08 AM
    There are a lot of users who turn it off and still found it unusable with poor viewing angles, in direct sunlight.

I doubt the KEYone is using a better panel than the Priv or DTEK60.

Just an FYI for anyone who thinks there is no brightness issue - it seems like there is. Either you have a good one or you have a bad one.

Not an issue of people not knowing how to turn off adaptive display.

Posted via CB10
    06-17-17 06:17 AM
    new post after using it all day. rethinking. I am satisfied with the brightness now. I am not noticing the blurriness anymore (subtle but it is true despite the deniers). I am refreshing my old pkb skills. who knows, I may keep it ������
    juat like most research project, persistence paid off. Would you tell your students about your experience? Prof ;-)
    I found very interesting about some of the user names that exhibit troubles in K1. something eatBlackBerry, or some Devil, Wondering what was up to... or just coincidence... May be when they select their user name, they already can forecast K1 MFG quality, Design Issues, etc like 6 sense? Recommend TCL hiring them, save X-ray machine cost.. or any non-destructive/destructive test cost... IMHO. ;-). just a thought on Stormy Sat. Morning.
    06-17-17 07:47 AM
    Yes. That is the main cause, I believe.

Now I'm dealing with other issues that are real but may not be fixable. First, the calls drop. This is not some irrational complaint and has nothing to do with relying on visible signal bars. It is a real flaw. I've done the controlled experiment with my Dtek60. If that's hardware related, then it's a problem of significance. Second but less important, vibrate doesn't function on alarms if the device is asleep. My guess is this should be fixable.

The phone call issue is serious. It is a core function. Inexcusable, assuming it cannot be fixed via software. And that's unlikely imo...
    06-17-17 08:32 AM
    Yes. That is the main cause, I believe.

Now I'm dealing with other issues that are real but may not be fixable. First, the calls drop. This is not some irrational complaint and has nothing to do with relying on visible signal bars. It is a real flaw. I've done the controlled experiment with my Dtek60. If that's hardware related, then it's a problem of significance. Second but less important, vibrate doesn't function on alarms if the device is asleep. My guess is this should be fixable.

The phone call issue is serious. It is a core function. Inexcusable, assuming it cannot be fixed via software. And that's unlikely imo...
    Been reading some say it's an iPhone like issue where you touch the metal. Try a case if you aren't using one or using speaker phone with it laying on a table. Just to test that theory.
    06-17-17 09:08 AM
    Been reading some say it's an iPhone like issue where you touch the metal. Try a case if you aren't using one or using speaker phone with it laying on a table. Just to test that theory.
    Thanks. Just saw that in a different thread. It may be true. Problem is I don't want to use a case. If that's necessary then the device is not worth buying. Imo.
    06-17-17 09:35 AM
    I use adaptive brightness on all my phones.

Priv is on, brightness approx 50%
    K1 is on, brightness approx 33%

Both look very similar at this point. Think there's some variations in the screen calibrations judging from people's input here. Maybe Flossy needs a replacement K1!
    06-17-17 09:37 AM
    Thanks. Just saw that in a different thread. It may be true. Problem is I don't want to use a case. If that's necessary then the device is not worth buying. Imo.
    Understandable. We all have what is acceptable to us. Hope you find what works for you. Too bad there isn't much options for PKB phones if that's what you really want.
    06-17-17 09:39 AM
    I know no one cares but I thought I would finish my original post. I've gone back and forth with my previous device the Dtek60 and it's very clear to me that the Keyone is far inferior at everything. Literally everything except for the battery (Not massively superior in my use), the fingerprint recognition, the multicolor LED, and of course the pkb. Those simply do not come close to making up for inferior (slightly blurry) screen, far inferior signal reception, inferior speakers, various minor problems like no vibrate at times, and the possibility of screen separation looming out there. I've decided to return the device. Adios pkb. Probably forever unless a higher quality Keyone becomes a reality.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-17-17 09:41 AM
    I know no one cares but I thought I would finish my original post. I've gone back and forth with my previous device the Dtek60 and it's very clear to me that the Keyone is far inferior at everything. Literally everything except for the battery (Not massively superior in my use), the fingerprint recognition, the multicolor LED, and of course the pkb. Those simply do not come close to making up for inferior (slightly blurry) screen, far inferior signal reception, inferior speakers, various minor problems like no vibrate at times, and the possibility of screen separation looming out there. I've decided to return the device. Adios pkb. Probably forever unless a higher quality Keyone becomes a reality.
    I really do think you have a defective screen. My adjustments are close to all the other phones I use. I also have no reception problems.

But sure, that looming screen issue and the seemingly questionable build quality does make me uncomfortable with keeping the phone too. So it's a personal choice. Maybe wait for a price drop or wait for quality control to stabilize.
    Alain_A likes this.
    06-17-17 09:53 AM
    I have one big issue with the K1. The keyboard trackpad is very bad responsive. Nearly impossible to use it for detail scrolling. Always miss the target I want to get.
    06-17-17 10:01 AM
    I have one big issue with the K1. The keyboard trackpad is very bad responsive. Nearly impossible to use it for detail scrolling. Always miss the target I want to get.
    I completely agree with this. The scrolling on the Passport pkb was far superior.

One more issue that is definite but subtle: the speed of the Keyone is slower than my old device (Dtek60). Transitions, opening apps, and other actions. And I did the controlled comparison of changing the developer options to the same settings on both.

Again, imo the overall issue is that the KEYone is not at the same level of quality on many ways to the devices that most buyers already own. Huge problem, obviously. For me, I would buy a better version, even though it would cost more. But I'm not interested in sacrificing quality for a pkb.
    06-17-17 10:18 AM
    I completely agree with this. The scrolling on the Passport pkb was far superior.

One more issue that is definite but subtle: the speed of the Keyone is slower than my old device (Dtek60). Transitions, opening apps, and other actions. And I did the controlled comparison of changing the developer options to the same settings on both.

Again, imo the overall issue is that the KEYone is not at the same level of quality on many ways to the devices that most buyers already own. Huge problem, obviously. For me, I would buy a better version, even though it would cost more. But I'm not interested in sacrificing quality for a pkb.
    The chip is OK That's caused through the small memory. The K1 has got only 3 GB, DTEK70 has got 4 GB. I wrote about it before the release of the K1, that this will be an issue. Memory is crucial by Android and all good phones today has got at least 4 GB.
    06-17-17 10:24 AM
    I don't think it's memory at all. The Dtek60 has a snap dragon 820 vs the 625 in the k1 and you are surprised the phone with the faster cpu is well faster like really.........
    06-17-17 10:34 AM
83 1234