Yeah so personally I think Blackberry and Blackberry Mobile act like they have the same market share they did 10 years ago, and have this disillusioned belief that they are competitive with apple and samsung. Also they keep making coordination slip ups as if they have margins for error. I think the keyone is a good phone, and if they marketed themselves better they could have made a comeback.
    04-06-17 08:36 AM
    BlackBerry only provides software to TCL. It's TCL's show 100%.

TCL is the 8th largest smartphone manufacturer in the world in 2017 (just behind LG). They got there with aggressive pricing. Let's see what happens when the device is actually available to sell.
    Carjackd and app_Developer like this.
    04-06-17 08:41 AM
    BlackBerry only provides software to TCL. It's TCL's show 100%.

TCL is the 8th largest smartphone manufacturer in the world in 2017 (just behind LG). They got there with aggressive pricing. Let's see what happens when the device is actually available to sell.
    Are you suggesting BlackBerry told TCL to go and find out a way to build the KeyOne handset from scratch and get back to them when they are ready to load their software stack?
    anon(9710735) likes this.
    04-06-17 11:06 AM
    Are you suggesting BlackBerry told TCL to go and find out a way to build the KeyOne handset from scratch and get back to them when they are ready to load their software stack?
    What you're suggesting is extremely over simplified. There was communication between the two companies during the development.

Posted via CB10
    Carjackd likes this.
    04-06-17 11:44 AM
    What you're suggesting is extremely over simplified. There was communication between the two companies during the development.

Posted via CB10
    I'm not suggesting anything. I simply asked a question to what was suggested by someone else.
    04-06-17 11:52 AM
    I'm not suggesting anything. I simply asked a question to what was suggested by someone else.
    I'm suggesting that we suggest some other suggestions
    04-06-17 11:54 AM
    I'm interested on the marketing BlackBerry Mobile will trot out. Will there be lots of ads? Product placement in TV and movies? I hope TCL can do better than what BlackBerry has done in the past.

Posted via CB10 | SQW100-4 Passport on T-Mobile. Hi Ho Silver Edition!
    04-06-17 11:56 AM
    They handed them a design they had been working on, yes. But that's where it ends. BlackBerry no longer has a design team.

BB Merah Putih designed and built the Aurora all by themselves, as will TCL with all future devices.
    04-06-17 12:05 PM
    I'm interested on the marketing BlackBerry Mobile will trot out. Will there be lots of ads? Product placement in TV and movies? I hope TCL can do better than what BlackBerry has done in the past.

Of course not! They can't even release the phone on time.
    andy957 likes this.
    04-06-17 12:07 PM
    They handed them a design they had been working on, yes. But that's where it ends. BlackBerry no longer has a design team.

BB Merah Putih designed and built the Aurora all by themselves, as will TCL with all future devices.
    So it's not TCL's show "100%" as you say. With an outsourcing such as this there has to be some sort of technical assistance going on. BB and TCL makes up the 100% with TCL ultimately being responsible for the lion's share of that. I just wanted it to be clear not to absolve BlackBerry of any responsibility in this.
    04-06-17 12:08 PM

stlabrat likes this.
    04-06-17 12:08 PM
    So it's not TCL's show "100%" as you say. With an outsourcing such as this there has to be some sort of technical assistance going on. BB and TCL makes up the 100% with TCL ultimately being responsible for the lion's share of that. I just wanted it to be clear not to absolve BlackBerry of any responsibility in this.
    It is 100% TCL. It is solely their job to manufacture, distribute, market, and support the device.

BlackBerry collaborates on the software.

Who cares what design sheet they worked off of? Once it leaves the design house - whether that be TCL's or the now-defunct BlackBerry's - it heads off to manufacturing and has no bearing on what has been going on in 2017.
    04-06-17 12:13 PM
    It is 100% TCL. It is solely their job to manufacture, distribute, market, and support the device.

BlackBerry collaborates on the software.

Who cares what design sheet they worked off of? Once it leaves the design house - whether that be TCL's or the now-defunct BlackBerry's - it heads off to manufacturing and has no bearing on what has been going on in 2017.
    Then why was it BlackBerry who commented first on the delays?
    04-06-17 12:14 PM
    Then why was it BlackBerry who commented first on the delays?
    It's a revenue source for them, and appropriate for him to discuss at an earnings report.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    04-06-17 12:23 PM
    It's a revenue source for them, and appropriate for him to discuss at an earnings report.
    Indeed it might have been appropriate. But my emphasis was "first". If it's 100% TCL then it should have been their responsibility to inform customers and not coming from some other party first.
    04-06-17 12:27 PM
    I'm suggesting that we suggest some other suggestions
    I'm suggesting we suggest other suggestions that haven't already been suggested by suggestions that were previously suggested by someone suggesting something other than current suggestions suggesting otherwise.

Posted via CB10
    emanuel0ss0, Carjackd and andy957 like this.
    04-06-17 12:29 PM
    Indeed it might have been appropriate. But my emphasis was "first". If it's 100% TCL then it should have been their responsibility to inform customers and not coming from some other party first.
    Both parties have their own interests and can make any announcements they wish.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    04-06-17 12:29 PM
    Both parties have their own interests and can make any announcements they wish.
    Completely agree. I have a Dtek50 great build.
    04-06-17 12:39 PM

As far as I remember Steve Cistulli himself that they worked closely with the BlackBerry design team, and that they have own design teams in Italy, US and others. I think he said that in the BlackBerry Podcast.
    04-06-17 01:12 PM
    As far as I remember Steve Cistulli himself that they worked closely with the BlackBerry design team, and that they have own design teams in Italy, US and others. I think he said that in the BlackBerry Podcast.
    However the handoff of the design was done, that was a long time ago.
    04-06-17 01:14 PM
    BlackBerry was talking to it's shareholders for its own reasons even though TCL still isn't ready to discuss availability dates with its customers.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    04-06-17 01:44 PM
    Uh huh.
    04-06-17 01:46 PM
    This is technically not true given that they never actually gave us a release date.
    04-06-17 06:57 PM
    This is technically not true given that they never actually gave us a release date.
    Yes they did. April 2017.
    th.1977 likes this.
    04-06-17 06:58 PM
    Yes they did. April 2017.
    Saying it may be available in April is not an official release date. Until they say Friday "Month" 5th it's not a release date.
    04-06-17 07:01 PM
63 123