Suck it up. You stepped over a line with calling out CBK. Live with it.

Passport. SQW100-1 OS 10.3.3.2163
    Curious to see how many other people stepped over that imaginary line, when CBK disappeared from the forums.
    05-31-17 09:43 PM
    @CrackBerry Kevin I'm really not trying to malign you or anyone else at CB. I'm just hacked off. I'm due to return my cracked Priv to my phone insurance company today, and was expecting to have a K1 to replace it. Now I have to order another phone with overnight shipping then either return it with a restocking fee or re-sell it at a loss if I decide to buy the K1 whenever it comes out.

Waiting six months and thinking today is finally the day, then learning we're going to be waiting indefinitely is extremely frustrating. Especially after Verizon Priv users like me had to wait five months for the VZW Priv to come out after everyone else had it.

I hope you understand that this tortured launch process, repeated delays, lack of communication, and at least one lie (CDMA availability) is not conducive to a friendly atmosphere on the forums. The whole thing has been so, so tiresome.
    Pretty much in your situation. Dropped my Priv on the weekend and it shattered . Soon found out how $$ a fix was going to be so paid the $50 deductible on my insurance and got a Galaxy S6. Sold the S6 and hunted down a KeyOne at a Bell store (last one of 3). Used the $$$ to pay off my Priv at Telus and made the switch. No biggie. Really wanted to wait after to getting put off but damn glad I didn't.
    05-31-17 10:04 PM
    Pretty much in your situation. Dropped my Priv on the weekend and it shattered . Soon found out how $$ a fix was going to be so paid the $50 deductible on my insurance and got a Galaxy S6. Sold the S6 and hunted down a KeyOne at a Bell store (last one of 3). Used the $$$ to pay off my Priv at Telus and made the switch. No biggie. Really wanted to wait after to getting put off but damn glad I didn't.
    Nice, lucky you live in Canada. U.S. CDMA customers have no such luck.
    OrlandoAlex likes this.
    05-31-17 10:05 PM
    Suck it up. You stepped over a line with calling out CBK. Live with it.

No need to suck up to cbk. He can handle his own.
    05-31-17 10:30 PM
    U.S. CDMA BB fans are a dying breed so I admire the passion you have for wanting this phone badly and respect your right to vent.

I hope CBK was able to shed some light on some of the misperceptions you had over his CB return and TCL marketing deal.

I also hope that you will land that coveted CDMA KEYone real soon. It is an amazing device and while your experience hasn't been positive and has tested your patience, it will have paid off when you finally receive it. It's a magnificent phone!
    BigBadWulf and j21jam6 like this.
    05-31-17 10:45 PM
    I really have to hand it to Kevin for his being tolerant of some posters. Other websites would not allow posts to criticize the Admins and moderators the way some CBers do.

Being mad about not getting a KEYone or not having enough information about the phone is understandable, but calling out Kevin and the staff is not right!!
    First, thank you for the sentiments. On behalf of the Mod's -- we appreciate it.

This thread has been given more latitude than usual since it was essentially critical of CrackBerry in general, and Kevin in particular. Only posts breaking the R&G in the most blatant manner have been deleted. (But this thread is an exception.)

We're pleased to see that most members are able to understand CB's status as a fan site and Kevin's position as BBFAN#1 -- and in no way in control of the product launch!
    05-31-17 11:10 PM
    No need to suck up to cbk. He can handle his own.
    Ummm... There's a difference in meaning between "suck it up" and "suck up."
    05-31-17 11:20 PM
    What's the allegiance to CDMA? I ditched it as soon as I could up here. Is Verizon coverage that much more superior?
    06-01-17 12:06 AM
    What's the allegiance to CDMA? I ditched it as soon as I could up here. Is Verizon coverage that much more superior?
    I believe Verizon is the largest carrier in the US.
    OrlandoAlex likes this.
    06-01-17 12:08 AM
    At least in the Bay Area coverage is much better. I've got one phone with T-Mobile and one with Verizon(CDMA). While catching up T-Mobile's connection isn't nearly as strong - especially when venturing anywhere out of the city. Not sure how AT&T stacks up since I have used their service since the 8700c.
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    06-01-17 12:12 AM
    Verizon has the largest LTE deployment in the US, and its predecessor CDMA is the fallback network if there's no LTE available, plus CDMA is still the default for voice calls if a device doesn't have VoLTE. There's still some holdouts with older phones still using it, but that's scheduled to end in 2019.
    06-01-17 12:18 AM
    I feel sorry for the Crackberry gang, I have to say. Everyone is directing their anger at TCL / Blackberry / The World on this forum, lol...

Regardless of where you stand, we're all disappointed that the KeyONE launch has been a bit of a disaster in terms of the faithful early adopters. That much is obvious.

But it's worth bearing in mind that this is the first product launch by BlackBerry Mobile and was done in a very short period of time. I'm sure they didn't deliberately set out to tick off the members of the community....

What's done is done. In a matter of weeks, they'll figure out the logistics (I hope, lol) and it will be water under the bridge and we'll all be rocking new devices and complaining about lag, a dim screen or whatever (AKA Business as usual).

I'm not happy with how the launch played out, but I'm willing to give them a pass as it's their first kick at the can. At some point they're going to launch the next BlackBerry branded device and it should go much more smoothly. If not, then I'll join the band.

I've personally pre-ordered my KeyONE unlocked from Crackberry and I'm going to sit back and forget about it until I get my email notification that it's ready to ship. There are much bigger things to worry about than a phone. Just my $0.02.
    06-01-17 08:41 PM
    I feel sorry for the Crackberry gang, I have to say. Everyone is directing their anger at TCL / Blackberry / The World on this forum, lol...

Regardless of where you stand, we're all disappointed that the KeyONE launch has been a bit of a disaster in terms of the faithful early adopters. That much is obvious.

But it's worth bearing in mind that this is the first product launch by BlackBerry Mobile and was done in a very short period of time. I'm sure they didn't deliberately set out to tick off the members of the community....

What's done is done. In a matter of weeks, they'll figure out the logistics (I hope, lol) and it will be water under the bridge and we'll all be rocking new devices and complaining about lag, a dim screen or whatever (AKA Business as usual).

I'm not happy with how the launch played out, but I'm willing to give them a pass as it's their first kick at the can. At some point they're going to launch the next BlackBerry branded device and it should go much more smoothly. If not, then I'll join the band.

I've personally pre-ordered my KeyONE unlocked from Crackberry and I'm going to sit back and forget about it until I get my email notification that it's ready to ship. There are much bigger things to worry about than a phone. Just my $0.02.
    Waiting makes the heart grow fonder they say... good post.

06-01-17 09:06 PM
    If you consider all the previous "almost" launches as trial runs, known only to us CrackBerrians, than today's pre-release, release...
    went off without a hitch.
    And each and every single device goes through test after test after test of testing before it is releast into the wild, making you feel that much more confident that the wait to make your mobile experience everything you knew it would be, was well worth it!!

(and I have a bridge for sale if anyone's interested)
    Where's the bridge? I have some spare cash at the moment!
    06-01-17 09:50 PM
    I was able to test two Priv's side by side in Sedona, AZ and surrounding areas in Nov. One was my original Verizon Priv. The other a ShopBB Priv with a Tmobile sim card. We were staying at a sizeable resort about 6 miles from Sedona near both sizeable resorts and a small shopping district. Verizon Priv worked fine. Tmobile could not get data and also had trouble with phone. Asked at the desk about the issue. One clerk indicated he had Tmobile and it does not work at the hotel and in other areas around Sedona. Another clerk, AT&T noted the same. They both said customers reported the best results with Verizon. Similar situations occur in the more remote areas of the US, particularly the desert Southwest. At a trailhead where out party was going to do separate hike, a local trail master told us not to bother calling each other if with did not have Verizon and she did say even Verizon could be spotty. But it did work.

Conclude what you will from my tests.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    06-01-17 10:05 PM
    TCL botched it, period. Not BB, not Chen, not Bla1ze and not Kevin, TCL:-(
    TCL might not have delivered what some here hoped (hardware, price, carriers, production, marketing).... but that isn't the same as they botched it.

I think TCL is doing what is best for TCL - which is all anyone should have expected. Too, they have learn the true value of the "brand" with their negations with Carriers and maybe even some current BlackBerry large enterprise customers. I doubt their plans in Dec/Jan are the same today as they were back then.

They haven't botched anything... this is by all accounts a niche product, they are simply being careful not to overproduce, based on the information that they have - and that we don't have.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    06-02-17 08:00 AM
    I read CBK's thorough response, which was refreshing to see, but it's missing what I think is the single biggest problem with this launch: CDMA non-existence.

Everything else can be chalked up to demand exceeding supply. That's not too surprising given that we already knew in April they were having problems with production pace. Fine. It's a new phone, brand on the rocks, hard to estimate demand. Got it.

But then there's the CDMA version. We were promised it would be available on May 31. Not available to pre-order. It was supposed to be something people could get and use on May 31. Then it turns out of their massive "retail channels" list of two retailers, only one of them was brick-and-mortar, meaning only one would have physical sales, launch-day sales, where people could be using it that day. And they weren't going to carry the CDMA. At all. Not even pretend to have it like Amazon did.

So we're stuck with Amazon, which like I said pretended to have the CDMA version, but there's not been a single report of someone getting one. That phone may as well not exist. So why, then, did BlackBerry Mobile announce mere hours before launch day that it would be available on Amazon on May 31? That was objectively false, and they had to have known, because if they didn't know, there's some deep-level incompetence going on with the supply chain. Maybe it's Amazon's fault, but I suspect it isn't because TCL hasn't addressed this, and if TCL wasn't to blame, they'd probably want people to know that, right?

The non-existence of the CDMA version needs to be addressed immediately. You don't tell people it'll be available hours before launch, then pretend it's a demand issue when you never had any to sell in the first place.
    phuoc and brunibruni like this.
    06-02-17 09:29 AM
    Was thinking of buying one but the total lack of carrier support here, the delayed launch and now this, pass. BB has done it again. In the end they control the brand license etc. Some things never change. Sad...
    phuoc likes this.
    06-02-17 10:30 AM
    It may very well be botched. They weren't ready for the launch, k1 needs another 2-3 months in testing. Or their factories just couldn't deliver the quality of the product.
    phuoc likes this.
    06-02-17 10:36 AM
    TCL might not have delivered what some here hoped (hardware, price, carriers, production, marketing).... but that isn't the same as they botched it.

I think TCL is doing what is best for TCL - which is all anyone should have expected. Too, they have learn the true value of the "brand" with their negations with Carriers and maybe even some current BlackBerry large enterprise customers. I doubt their plans in Dec/Jan are the same today as they were back then.

They haven't botched anything... this is by all accounts a niche product, they are simply being careful not to overproduce, based on the information that they have - and that we don't have.
    Sorry, the release didn't go as planned. That, to me anyways translates as botched.
    OrlandoAlex likes this.
    06-02-17 12:16 PM
    OrlandoAlex I read CBK's thorough response, which was refreshing to see, but it's missing what I think is the single biggest problem with this launch: CDMA non-existence.
    Everything else can be chalked up to demand exceeding supply. That's not too surprising given that we already knew in April they were having problems with production pace. Fine. It's a new phone, brand on the rocks, hard to estimate demand. Got it.
    But then there's the CDMA version. We were promised it would be available on May 31. Not available to pre-order. It was supposed to be something people could get and use on May 31. Then it turns out of their massive "retail channels" list of two retailers, only one of them was brick-and-mortar, meaning only one would have physical sales, launch-day sales, where people could be using it that day. And they weren't going to carry the CDMA. At all. Not even pretend to have it like Amazon did.
    So we're stuck with Amazon, which like I said pretended to have the CDMA version, but there's not been a single report of someone getting one. That phone may as well not exist. So why, then, did BlackBerry Mobile announce mere hours before launch day that it would be available on Amazon on May 31? That was objectively false, and they had to have known, because if they didn't know, there's some deep-level incompetence going on with the supply chain. Maybe it's Amazon's fault, but I suspect it isn't because TCL hasn't addressed this, and if TCL wasn't to blame, they'd probably want people to know that, right?
    The non-existence of the CDMA version needs to be addressed immediately. You don't tell people it'll be available hours before launch, then pretend it's a demand issue when you never had any to sell in the first place.
    THIS!!!!!!! BINGO - we have a winner!!!
    06-02-17 01:32 PM
    I read CBK's thorough response, which was refreshing to see, but it's missing what I think is the single biggest problem with this launch: CDMA non-existence.

If it was Amazon's fault, TCL isn't about to out them. Amazon has built its reputation on selling things very, very well. TCL barely as two retailers, as you point out, so what's the gain from pissing off Amazon? Oh, the long term reputation of TCL to BlackBerry "loyalists", who are so loyal that they'll just switch due to a delay of undetermined circumstances?

Not having the CDMA version ready to ship, for whatever reason, is a fail, agreed. However, do you really think they're not working to address the issue without people complaining incessantly? TCL sees the sales numbers. You bet they want to actualize those sales.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    06-02-17 01:32 PM
47 12