I'm also upset over a screwed up telecom and regulatory system!

Like many Canadians who have posted here, I'm disappointed that I don't have access to an unlocked KEYone. As a Telus customer, even if I wanted a locked phone, I still have to wait... But buying a phone from Bell or Rogers--because of an agreement with the CRTC--means that I'd have to wait three months to unlock the phone legally.

The only way I can unlock a phone right away is via a third party service, which would void the warranty of the device. Call me crazy but if I'm spending over $700 on anything I want to make sure it's covered!

I don't blame TCL or BlackBerry or whoever people are directing their frustration toward... I blame the carriers because I have no doubt that their agreement for carrying the KEYone said that they needed x number of days / weeks before the phone could be sold unlocked.

I blame the CRTC for allowing the big three companies to screw Canadian consumers with their monopolistic and anticompetitive business practises. This last part isn't related to the KEYone specifically... but certainly the state of the telecommunications industry in Canada!
    06-01-17 02:07 PM
    My understanding is that if you buy it outright, they will unlock straight away. That's what I did for both the Passport and the PRIV. Bought at Telus outright and got unlocked straight away as I am a Bell customer. Have you tried the other carriers to see if they will sell you one?

The only downside is that you have to pay a $35 unlock fee
    06-01-17 02:16 PM
    honestly the unlocking through 3rd party is over blown and how would they know?

I bought my passport on launch date and unlocked it the same day , couple months later the camera stopped working and I took it to Telus and it was fine. I was also not a Telus customer nor did I pay them for the unlock.
    06-01-17 02:22 PM
    My understanding is that if you buy it outright, they will unlock straight away. That's what I did for both the Passport and the PRIV. Bought at Telus outright and got unlocked straight away as I am a Bell customer. Have you tried the other carriers to see if they will sell you one?

The only downside is that you have to pay a $35 unlock fee
    I don't care about the fee. But they won't unlock it outright anymore, apparently. Maybe they did in the past... not now. I talked to both Rogers and Telus.

CRTC has said that they can make people wait 3 months post-launch
    06-01-17 02:26 PM
    I don't care about the fee. But they won't unlock it outright anymore, apparently. Maybe they did in the past... not now. I talked to both Rogers and Telus.

I think you should look into that. They can't make you wait three months if you buy outright. Don't believe what a salesperson in a store tells you. They often don't know the rules.
    06-01-17 02:36 PM

From the CRTC website
    Attached Thumbnails Not just another disgruntled Canadian upset over the KEYone launch...-1572.jpg  
    06-01-17 02:38 PM

This is right out of the agreement I just got from Telus for my Keyone an hour ago.

"Can my device be unlocked?
    When you buy a new device at TELUS, it can only be used with
    TELUS services but can be unlocked for a $50 fee, if the device
    has been active on the network for at least ninety days. If you
    paid for your device in full, it can be unlocked immediately for
    the same fee."
    06-01-17 02:55 PM
    This is right out of the agreement I just got from Telus for my Keyone an hour ago.

the same fee."
    Another lie .
    06-01-17 02:58 PM
    As per my Rogers user agreement that I signed when I picked up the phone last night:

On the previous page it lists the unlock fee as $50. What I posted says you can't do it until 90 days has passed if you got the phone discounted with a plan.
    Attached Thumbnails Not just another disgruntled Canadian upset over the KEYone launch...-img_20170601_1551159.jpg  
    Last time I had a locked device I just called the telco and told them i'm going overseas for a month.

They talked me through how to unlock it.

But that was in aussieland.
    Another lie .
    It's part of their legal agreement you have to sign to buy a phone, so I doubt it's a lie. If they tell you otherwise, buy one, sign this agreement, and then show them that section and get them to unlock it lol
    06-01-17 03:01 PM
    Thanks everyone. So either they are just unaware or they are lying. Also, they tried to say that they won't sell a phone to anyone unless they are with Rogers already or are signing up with them
    06-01-17 03:01 PM
    Thanks everyone. So either they are just unaware or they are lying. Also, they tried to say that they won't sell a phone to anyone unless they are with Rogers already or are signing up with them
    That could be true. One user reported having to open an account and buy a $10 simcard in order to buy the phone outright from Rogers.
    06-01-17 03:04 PM
    I'm with you on CRTC regulations and monopolistic competition in Canada. It truly is insane. Canadian telecom bills are outrageous vs the U.S.
    06-01-17 03:06 PM
    It's part of their legal agreement you have to sign to buy a phone, so I doubt it's a lie. If they tell you otherwise, buy one, sign this agreement, and then show them that section and get them to unlock it lol
    Right and you can unlock it through 3rd party for half the price and they also contradict what the crtc say.
    06-01-17 03:21 PM
    That second part could well be true. I suppose in a free market they can sell (or not sell) to whomever they please. Check a couple of stores and I'll bet you'll find a sympathetic salesperson.
    06-01-17 03:29 PM
    Who told you this? Remember that not every store with the Rogers logo plastered up top is a corporate store. A lot of "authorized resellers" will do anything and everything to deter you from buying the device outright... because they get paid spiff/commission on renewals and new activations, not device sales on no tab.
    06-01-17 06:29 PM

the same fee."
    These provisions are usually waived. If you are travelling, for example, carriers will usually unlock for a minor fee to accommodate your schedule, even where there is a balance on your phone, if you are an established customer.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-17 06:39 PM