And the killer is that there is no unified desire to inquire and ask why within this community. I have to imagine the access is there. And yet the commonplace response on here is to just use the most recent autoloader posted by another member of the community and get on with your day. And we all just nod and accept it.
    Precisely my thoughts. As mentioned, one can go the autoloader road, but this shouldn't have to be, since BlackBerry boasts about monthly updates and having the most secure Android device on the market. Thus, we should stop comparing it with other OEMs, that's just the easy answer out.

@silentbystander, I couldn't agree more with your statement, the one thing that bothers is the lack of desire to inquire or being questioned for asking.

Ironically enough, if one of us "mortals" contacts BlackBerry support team directly, they're quite frankly of little help. I've gone through a couple of issues throughout this year and none have been solved...

Nevertheless, I'm very grateful with those who are eager to help within the forums, like @conite. Hopefully an update arrives for those of us with devices stuck on the July patch.

 Passport (10.3.3.3216) /  KEYᵒⁿᵉ "Black Edition" (8.1.0)
    Last edited by JG_Agustin; 12-22-18 at 02:00 AM.
    anon(10218918) likes this.
    12-22-18 01:41 AM
    Bump. 7/1 here as well... My KeyOne is acting strange lately... late txt msg arrival, hotspot dropping, 5G wifi not working, random sim warning... It's time to move to LE or wait for KeyThree?
    Last edited by Scut77; 12-22-18 at 07:55 AM.
    12-22-18 06:17 AM
    with my AT&T Keyone I have to call AT&T every so often and make them force the updates to go to my phone. I have to call them again right now because I am still on the Sept '18 update and they have released 2 since.

I would have kept my Passport but I have become too reliant on latest and greatest Android apps. I miss that dang phone :'(
    The AT&T KEYone has been far better than AT&T PRIV for getting updates. The AT&T PRIV was vast improvement over AT&T Passport for updates. For those of us on AT&T, the carrier has always been the problem but it’s gotten much better.
    12-22-18 02:07 PM
    Oh I know. I had the Samsung Captivate(Galaxy S1) with AT&T and I don't think they ever did a software update on it. Maybe 2 or 3 at the most.
    12-22-18 02:52 PM
    Precisely and while I can be open about using an autoloader, this isn't the solution for everyone.

Let's forget other OEMs, if BlackBerry wants to get at least a small slice of the consumer cake, this is not the way to do it.

As mentioned previously, it's one specific PRD model not getting the updates, the unlocked North American BE device originally marketed for Canada (home of BlackBerry Ltd., who supposedly handles the software). For crying out loud, that makes it even more ridiculous, let's just admit it.

 Passport (10.3.3.3216) /  KEYᵒⁿᵉ "Black Edition" (8.1.0)
    Exactly! This is what pissed me off in the first place. They boasted day zero monthly updates. I realize the patches are for things damn near no one will ever come across through everyday use but still.

I'm Canadian trying to support a Canadian company that makes great phones but I feel like I don't really matter to them. It really seems like Indonesia and India are their new focus and they couldn't care less about North America which will only lead to us not caring about their phones until they're gone for good.
    JG_Agustin likes this.
    12-22-18 07:35 PM
    Exactly! This is what pissed me off in the first place. They boasted day zero monthly updates. I realize the patches are for things damn near no one will ever come across through everyday use but still.

I'm Canadian trying to support a Canadian company that makes great phones but I feel like I don't really matter to them. It really seems like Indonesia and India are their new focus and they couldn't care less about North America which will only lead to us not caring about their phones until they're gone for good.
    You're a Canadian. The rest is pretty much incorrect. BB, the Canadian outfit, doesn't make phones anymore, no longer has any consumer business and has licensed out the BB name and related consumer facings to BBMo/TCL, Optiemus and BBPM for hardware and BBM for Android/IOS to Emtek. Only BBMo/TCL can sell hardware in their markets that include North America.

The Canadian BB only does what it gets paid to do from it's customers. Something that's changed from PRIV and DTEK seems to be that updates are now controlled by PRD number and carriers seem to have some involvement regardless of whether hardware is carrier locked or factory unlocked.
    12-22-18 07:52 PM
    I don't have the answers for you. However, being around for 10 years, I know why people just use autoloaders and move on with their life. It's because it's nothing new. The issue has been present since the BBOS days.

In the BBOS days, carriers would get their own higher builds with changes others on lower versions didn't. What did people do? They found a way to bypass it and load the higher versions.

In the BlackBerry 10 days, it was the exact same. Certain carriers had higher OS versions with further improvements, different app versions, better radios, etc. What did people do? They found a way to get those OS builds on their devices as well.

Enter Android.... the EXACT same scenario plays out and some variants get different versions. What did people do? Found a way to bypass it and load those versions.

Again, it's nothing new.. it's common practice that has been going on for 10+ years and when the companies don't offer a solution, people find their own solutions around it and deal with it. Everyone knows the alternatives too.. go buy one of the other devices, if it's a Pixel. The grass will probably be a bit greener, go with some other OEM and you'll be looking for their version of an autoloader eventually.
    Can we agree that the days of BBOS and current day Android are apples and oranges? In the BBOS days Waterloo was responsible for building out hardware and software, and were pioneering a whole new OS and ecosystem. Blackberry LTD's role in the current setup is to receive a partially baked cake from Google and to add a topping here and there and throw it in the oven. That's their contractual obligation with the Blackberry licensing deal, and they are remunerated as such. There is also the task of maintaining the Blackberry suite of apps but that is iterative and independent of the OS.

Additionally, under BBOS there was no obligation to stay honest to a program like Android Enterprise Recommended, like there is under Android. A number of model variants continue to fall behind the promised 90 day update cycle. Again these are the sort of issues that users would like to see Blackberry Mobile and their contracted software partner Blackberry LTD held accountable for and ultimately publicly questioned.

Is that really so unreasonable?
    JG_Agustin likes this.
    12-22-18 09:27 PM
    Can we agree that the days of BBOS and current day Android are apples and oranges? In the BBOS days Waterloo was responsible for building out hardware and software, and were pioneering a whole new OS and ecosystem. Blackberry LTD's role in the current setup is to receive a partially baked cake from Google and to add a topping here and there and throw it in the oven. That's their contractual obligation with the Blackberry licensing deal, and they are remunerated as such. There is also the task of maintaining the Blackberry suite of apps but that is iterative and independent of the OS.

Additionally, under BBOS there was no obligation to stay honest to a program like Android Enterprise Recommended, like there is under Android. A number of model variants continue to fall behind the promised 90 day update cycle. Again these are the sort of issues that users would like to see Blackberry Mobile and their contracted software partner Blackberry LTD held accountable for and ultimately publicly questioned.

To many, it just doesn’t matter because the alternative is no devices. Something, for many, is better than nothing...
    12-22-18 10:39 PM

95% of KEYᵒⁿᵉ and Motions are on Nov patch, and 80% are on Dec.

Almost ALL in-production KEY² and KEY² LE devices are on Dec patch.

I'm not sure, in a real-world way, how you think it can be much better than this.
    12-22-18 10:50 PM
    ABL 693 with security patch December 5th finally arrived in Germany OTA (Vodafone) on BB KeyOne this morning.
    Last edited by CrackPriv; 12-23-18 at 06:36 AM.
    12-23-18 05:11 AM
    95% of KEYᵒⁿᵉ and Motions are on Nov patch, and 80% are on Dec.

Almost ALL in-production KEY² and KEY² LE devices are on Dec patch.

I'm not sure, in a real-world way, how you think it can be much better than this.
    Asking for an explanation on why certain PRDs fall behind on the update cycle != why there are no updates.

I don't know how to make this anymore clear to you and your constant replies that address EVERYTHING but the pertinent point being made.
    rolfep and JG_Agustin like this.
    12-23-18 11:57 AM
    Asking for an explanation on why certain PRDs fall behind on the update cycle != why there are no updates.

I don't know how to make this anymore clear to you and your constant replies that address EVERYTHING but the pertinent point being made.
    Because certain PRDs fall under carrier restrictions or regulatory agreements that happen as part of business protocols and government involvement.
    12-23-18 12:18 PM

You won't get an specific answer that will satisfy you. There is an element of mystery to some of this. It is what it is.
    12-23-18 12:56 PM
    Because certain PRDs fall under carrier restrictions or regulatory agreements that happen as part of business protocols and government involvement.
    It's a Canadian sku sold by Amazon.ca that was never offered by a carrier. What you're talking about has nothing to do with it. You see the part of the post you're quoting where I reference that conite replies and doesn't address the actual point being discussed? Just totally unnecessary.
    12-23-18 02:17 PM
    It's a Canadian sku sold by Amazon.ca that was never offered by a carrier. What you're talking about has nothing to do with it. You see the part of the post you're quoting where I reference that conite replies and doesn't address the actual point being discussed? Just totally unnecessary.
    Doesn’t matter that it’s not offered by a carrier. We’re subject to certain regulations since devices are being used on regulated carrier network. Carriers have learned to leverage their rights as network owner.
    12-23-18 03:03 PM
    downloaded - UK, O2
    12-24-18 12:47 AM
    why are updates so important? Phone works fine without them, so why do we need to download them ?what so security updates provide? just curious as I don't understand their tru purpose? thanks if someone can actually clarify this for me.
    12-24-18 10:20 AM
    Doesn’t matter that it’s not offered by a carrier. We’re subject to certain regulations since devices are being used on regulated carrier network. Carriers have learned to leverage their rights as network owner.
    You really just make whatever you want up and no one ever questions you huh? Enjoy the holidays. Our forum interaction need not continue.
    12-24-18 12:14 PM
    You really just make whatever you want up and no one ever questions you huh? Enjoy the holidays. Our forum interaction need not continue.
    Perhaps if several users like us with this specific model inquire with BB customer support (or whatever the name of the department which handles inquiries from Support Center app), we might get a bit of attention.

From what has been posted over and over by the veteran Crackberry users, I'd doubt we'll get any other support from this site.

I'll open up a ticket in the next following days, there's nothing to loose for trying.
    12-24-18 02:23 PM
    Perhaps if several users like us with this specific model inquire with BB customer support (or whatever the name of the department which handles inquiries from Support Center app), we might get a bit of attention.

From what has been posted over and over by the veteran Crackberry users, I'd doubt we'll get any other support from this site.

I'll open up a ticket in the next following days, there's nothing to loose for trying.
    You’re not getting support because it’s not the answer you want to hear guys? Updates are definitely handled differently with PRDs than before...
    Open support tickets. Good idea, I wonder how come nobody else thought of that.
    12-24-18 02:58 PM
    You’re not getting support because it’s not the answer you want to hear guys? Updates are definitely handled differently with PRDs than before...
    Open support tickets. Good idea, I wonder how come nobody else thought of that.
    Can you or anyone else on this site give any further support? Aside from what has been already posted I doubt it, that's what I'm referring to.
    rolfep likes this.
    12-24-18 03:03 PM
    So the FCC and the FTC and several other government acronyms don’t pass voluminous pages of regulations in every industry. Regulated utilities like the carriers make it a point to use these regulations to competitive advantage everyday, all day.
    12-24-18 03:06 PM
    Can you or anyone else on this site give any further support? Aside from what has been already posted I doubt it, that's what I'm referring to.

That’s our fault how?
    12-24-18 03:07 PM
    That’s our fault how?
    Where in all this thread, have I blamed you or anyone else on Crackberry?

All I said was that we won't get any further support on this site, simply because it's not up to anyone here, period. Go through my posts, please.

Some of us did suggest having some sort of support in the form of a community inquiry. Aside from that, I don't see any blame being put on Crackberry or any user of the forums.

BTW, I had directed my respone to @silentbystander, suggesting opening up tickets, even quoted him.
    rolfep likes this.
    12-24-18 03:16 PM
    Where in all this thread, have I blamed you or anyone else on Crackberry?

All I said was that we won't get any further support on this site, simply because it's not up to anyone here, period. Go through my posts, please.

Some of us did suggest having some sort of support in the form of a community inquiry. Aside from that, I don't see any blame being put on Crackberry or any user of the forums.

BTW, I had directed my respone to @silentbystander, suggesting opening up tickets, even quoted him.
    That’s ok man. Feelings aren’t hurt and I’ll sleep okay. Point is there’s no answer, this is happening across OEM brands and things have changed again. Another normal day here...
    12-24-18 03:22 PM
159 12345 ...