still not getting this update
    01-06-19 12:21 PM
    still not getting updates
    01-06-19 12:23 PM
    Ugh me neither. And all I'm seeing on Twitter are all of these other manufacturers updating to the January patch. Pathetic on BlackBerry's part.
    01-08-19 07:22 AM
    Ugh me neither. And all I'm seeing on Twitter are all of these other manufacturers updating to the January patch. Pathetic on BlackBerry's part.
    The bulletin was just published yesterday. Who are all these others (apart from Google and Android One)?
    01-08-19 09:03 AM
    Well I've seen Huawei and OnePlus for starters.

Why do you always come across so butthurt when replying in this thread? We have a right to be pissed. It was basically false advertising on their part to get people to buy the phones. Maybe not as huge as Samsung repeatedly using full-fledged DSLR cameras and pretending they're shot from their phones, but still.
    01-08-19 09:06 AM
    Well I've seen Huawei and OnePlus for starters.

Why do you always come across so butthurt when replying in this thread? We have a right to be pissed. It was basically false advertising on their part to get people to buy the phones. Maybe not as huge as Samsung repeatedly using full-fledged DSLR cameras and pretending they're shot from their phones, but still.
    I'm not even phased, let alone butthurt.

If you are advocating that Blackberry switch from a hardened OS to a plain vanilla Android One (with the intent of getting quicker updates), then be careful what you wish for.

Be mad if you want if it makes you feel better.
    01-08-19 09:45 AM
    Yup. PRD-039 now more than 5 months since it's last OTA update. DTEK software now indicates my Android security patch level as a problem.
    01-08-19 10:17 AM
    I'm not even phased, let alone butthurt.

If you are advocating that Blackberry switch from a hardened OS to a plain vanilla Android One (with the intent of getting quicker updates), then be careful what you wish for.

Be mad if you want if it makes you feel better.
    They started off fine with updates within the first week of their release. What went wrong? What changed? You can't use this vanilla Android nonsense as an excuse. Not to mention other phones of the same version have received it. It's just a matter of pushing the update to our phones.
    farmwersteve likes this.
    01-08-19 10:32 AM
    They started off fine with updates within the first week of their release. What went wrong? What changed? You can't use this vanilla Android nonsense as an excuse. Not to mention other phones of the same version have received it. It's just a matter of pushing the update to our phones.
    What changed? Instead of a half dozen Priv variants, BBMo is dealing with about 150 unique variants of devices.

Despite that however, over 95% of all devices are on at least the November patch, and 75% are on December patch. I understand that that is not perfect, but I'm not sure how much better it can get. Honestly.
    Last edited by conite; 01-08-19 at 11:36 AM.
    01-08-19 11:18 AM
    What changed? Instead of a half dozen Priv variants, BBMo is dealing with about 150 unique variants of devices.

Despite that however, over 95% of all devices are on at least the November patch, and 75% are on December patch. I understand that that is not perfect, but I'm not sure how much better it can get. Honestly.
    You should think about changing your name to Muddy Waters.

What does the Priv have to do with anything? What does BBMo have to do with Android OS software updates? Pretty sure no one in this thread has asked what the percentage of BBMo phones that are on each update iteration.

I am sure that people want to know why update cycles are skipped for certain PRDs and why when they are identified as being skipped/missing the turn around time to get OTA updates out is so long on those neglected PRDs.

I am also sure that you will completely disregard the content of this post and reply to it with Blackberry apologist misdirection.

I bid you farewell Muddy Waters.
    01-08-19 01:02 PM
    You should think about changing your name to Muddy Waters.

What does the Priv have to do with anything? What does BBMo have to do with Android OS software updates? Pretty sure no one in this thread has asked what the percentage of BBMo phones that are on each update iteration.

I am sure that people want to know why update cycles are skipped for certain PRDs and why when they are identified as being skipped/missing the turn around time to get OTA updates out is so long on those neglected PRDs.

I am also sure that you will completely disregard the content of this post and reply to it with Blackberry apologist misdirection.

I bid you farewell Muddy Waters.
    It was my impression I was being asked what changed since the first BlackBerry Android device (Priv) was getting almost zero day updates. If I misunderstood, then I apologize.

BBMo is in charge of update distribution - not BlackBerry.

You're not going to get the granular answers to your questions like you want. You will just have to accept the big picture (and the overall percentages). If you don't like it, buy another product next time. Just remember you'd be giving up hardening for (perhaps) faster updates.
    01-08-19 01:04 PM
    It was my impression I was being asked what changed since the first BlackBerry Android device (Priv) was getting almost zero day updates. If I misunderstood, then I apologize.

BBMo is in charge of update distribution - not BlackBerry.

You're not going to get the granular answers to your questions like you want. You will just have to accept the big picture (and the overall percentages). If you don't like it, buy another product next time. Just remember you'd be giving up hardening for (perhaps) faster updates.
    So you're saying that PRD-039 is not being updated because BBMo is sitting on the multiple monthly updates that Blackberry LTD has provided to them and is not making the updates available because of a distribution issue.

You've got a wonderfully creative mind that continues to churn out unicorns and rainbows. Good on you.
    01-08-19 04:09 PM
    So you're saying that PRD-039 is not being updated because BBMo is sitting on the multiple monthly updates that Blackberry LTD has provided to them and is not making the updates available because of a distribution issue.

You've got a wonderfully creative mind that continues to churn out unicorns and rainbows. Good on you.
    Correct.

BlackBerry supplies the updates to BBMo, and BBMo is subsequently responsible for the distribution.

As to the holdup on 63116-039, I have no idea. Only BBMo knows the answer.

All OSes are on TCL's servers. This is where we retrieve the files to make autoloaders.
    01-08-19 04:13 PM
    Correct.

BlackBerry supplies the updates to BBMo, and BBMo is subsequently responsible for the distribution.

All OSes are on TCL's servers. This is where we retrieve the files to make autoloaders.
    Why do they allow access to these files? Why are their servers accessible?
    01-08-19 10:30 PM
    Why do they allow access to these files? Why are their servers accessible?
    Same as BlackBerry with BB10. All BB10 OSes are available on their servers.

It's not exactly a security risk. Hardware root of trust, etc.
    01-08-19 10:34 PM
    Same as BlackBerry with BB10. All BB10 OSes are available on their servers.

It's not exactly a security risk. Hardware root of trust, etc.
    Why isn't this being valued commercially then? Especially by businesses with a security focus.
    01-09-19 09:51 PM
    Why isn't this being valued commercially then? Especially by businesses with a security focus.
    Maybe it's slowly starting?

https://www.phonearena.com/news/Blac...happy_id112539
    01-09-19 10:01 PM
    Let's hope so. Or are network security features good enough for most of them?
    01-09-19 10:06 PM
    Let's hope so. Or are network security features good enough for most of them?
    At least they THINK so.
    01-09-19 10:09 PM
    Correct.

Contacted support. Useless. Been days and they haven't given anything more than a cooker cutter answer. Take them off life support. They're done.
    01-10-19 08:54 AM
    Contacted support. Useless. Been days and they haven't given anything more than a cooker cutter answer. Take them off life support. They're done.
    Why not use an autoloader? You'd be up and running in less time than it took to contact their support.
    01-10-19 09:08 AM
    Why not use an autoloader? You'd be up and running in less time than it took to contact their support.
    I might but I prefer to know the answer as to why the update is so scattered amongst KEYone devices and why we're left in the dust. I mean my phone only hit the one year mark this past November. It's not ancient. The PRIV I understand. BB10 devices I understand. KEYone and newer is BS.

I can't afford to buy a new phone each and every time they release one. I keep mine for a few years at least.
    01-10-19 09:19 AM
    I might but I prefer to know the answer as to why the update is so scattered amongst KEYone devices and why we're left in the dust. I mean my phone only hit the one year mark this past November. It's not ancient. The PRIV I understand. BB10 devices I understand. KEYone and newer is BS.

I can't afford to buy a new phone each and every time they release one. I keep mine for a few years at least.
    You will never get a straight answer on this. It's just not worth your trouble.

The KEYᵒⁿᵉs are still (on the whole) getting timely updates, so it's not a matter of the device being ignored - far from it.

As to why your specific variant, along with a couple of others, are getting lost in the shuffle (at the moment) is hard to understand.
    01-10-19 09:25 AM
    You will never get a straight answer on this. It's just not worth your trouble.

The KEYᵒⁿᵉs are still (on the whole) getting timely updates, so it's not a matter of the device being ignored - far from it.

As to why your specific variant, along with a couple of others, are getting lost in the shuffle (at the moment) is hard to understand.
    Well that's why I contacted them. The whole point of an unlocked device is not having to wait for carriers to push updates. If that's no longer the case then I should just get my phones subsidized with my phone plan from now on.

Thanks for your help anyhow. I appreciate it. I love the CB and BlackBerry community as a whole. The work you guys put in to help people like me is great.
    01-10-19 10:01 AM
    Well that's why I contacted them. The whole point of an unlocked device is not having to wait for carriers to push updates. If that's no longer the case then I should just get my phones subsidized with my phone plan from now on.

Thanks for your help anyhow. I appreciate it. I love the CB and BlackBerry community as a whole. The work you guys put in to help people like me is great.
    Out of the 150+ device variants from BBMo, only 2 are locked - KEYᵒⁿᵉ Sprint and KEYᵒⁿᵉ AT&T.
    01-10-19 10:03 AM
159 ... 23456 ...