Now that TCL is handling BlackBerry sales globally, is there a possibility of getting a Nordic PKB variety of the Mercury? It would be great to have full Nordic keyboard on it. I remember Nokia used to have it in some of their models. Also BlackBerry, at least sort of, for the Q10

Posted via CB10
    02-07-17 04:08 AM
    Some people have idea to laser engraved the keyboard

Posted via CB10
    02-07-17 04:26 AM
    The "Nordic" Q10 was a scam and left a sour taste, as the promised input method of right shift + key for alternative characters never came to be.

I wouldn't hold my breath for a localized Mercury either, although I'm not gonna lie, it would be awesome to have proper, separate keys for ö, ä & å again.

Nordic version of Mercury?-img_20170207_143035.jpg

Posted via CB10
    BBVill likes this.
    02-07-17 06:32 AM
    The "Nordic" Q10 was a scam and left a sour taste, as the promised input method of right shift + key for alternative characters never came to be.

I wouldn't hold my breath for a localized Mercury either, although I'm not gonna lie, it would be awesome to have proper, separate keys for ö, ä & å again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170207_143035.jpg 
Views:	427 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	417094

Posted via CB10
    because BB10 lacked of MANY input languages other OS'es had for many many years! yeah, I talk about Lithuanian, Latvian, Estonian, Bulgarian, etc.

mercury will be same as ANY OTHER ANDROID.
    the input is same as with VKB. if there is a vkb which allows shift + A to stransform to ä - it will be like that. Although, I am sure it will be with the long press.
    02-07-17 07:14 AM
    because BB10 lacked of MANY input languages other OS'es had for many many years! yeah, I talk about Lithuanian, Latvian, Estonian, Bulgarian, etc.

mercury will be same as ANY OTHER ANDROID.
    the input is same as with VKB. if there is a vkb which allows shift + A to stransform to ä - it will be like that. Although, I am sure it will be with the long press.
    Not a good analogue since BB actually released a version of Q10 with ä, ö, å printed on keys in orange colour, promising they could be input in combination of the similarly orange coloured right shift; as we know, no such functionality ever came to be.

You are also a bit off in your assessment of the situation on Android, as Priv already has the option of assigning alternative letters to sym + key; it will be like that for Mercury as well, at the very least, so no need for long presses or similar nonsense.

Posted via CB10
    02-07-17 08:20 AM
    Now that TCL is handling BlackBerry sales globally, is there a possibility of getting a Nordic PKB variety of the Mercury? It would be great to have full Nordic keyboard on it. I remember Nokia used to have it in some of their models. Also BlackBerry, at least sort of, for the Q10

Posted via CB10
    Have you tried word substitution? It could greatly improve your typing speed.

Posted via CB10
    02-07-17 09:25 AM
    Norwegian uses ø æ and å. On the Priv they are accessed by a long hold on the letters most resembling these letters. The Priv can be set for to up to 3 languages. That way the spell check brings up Norwegian words as well as English. I would guess that the Mercury would use the same type of software.
    BBVill likes this.
    02-07-17 10:22 AM
    Indeed it was not ideal with Q10. Don't know if any of the legacy devices had separate nordic letters like Nokia did.

Word substitution is a great help on my Classic but it doesn't always get it right and sometimes you have to choose the right alternative. With assigned keys you could basically write without checking, just like with English.

Posted via CB10
    02-07-17 10:49 AM
    Not a good analogue since BB actually released a version of Q10 with ä, ö, å printed on keys in orange colour, promising they could be input in combination of the similarly orange coloured right shift; as we know, no such functionality ever came to be.

You are also a bit off in your assessment of the situation on Android, as Priv already has the option of assigning alternative letters to sym + key; it will be like that for Mercury as well, at the very least, so no need for long presses or similar nonsense.

Posted via CB10
    There are Lithuanian input files in each os version since 10.3.2 or 10.3.1 I believe. This also supposed that it will be implemented.
    Files are empty.

Posted via CB10
    02-07-17 12:41 PM
    Norwegian uses ø æ and å. On the Priv they are accessed by a long hold on the letters most resembling these letters. The Priv can be set for to up to 3 languages. That way the spell check brings up Norwegian words as well as English. I would guess that the Mercury would use the same type of software.
    You can assign those letters to sym + key, beats the long hold nonsense.

Posted via CB10
    BBVill likes this.
    02-07-17 01:35 PM
    Here's what I immediately pictured:

Nordic version of Mercury?-nordic-mercury.jpg
    ppeters914, Jrox74 and Sigewif like this.
    02-07-17 04:51 PM
    The Priv made it easier than ever before to write Umlauts by customizing the symbols layout. For me it's sym+o=ö and so on. So much better than on my Classic: %boe%B 😂
    BBVill likes this.
    02-08-17 01:41 AM