Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
    I just upgraded to a BB Keyone. My 8GB plan was plenty of data for the BB Classic.

Since I upgraded to the keyone however, it is literally eating up all my data, to the point where I have to turn off cellular data off because something just eats away at it.

I called BB support and they advised me to force stop all my apps. She said that Android phones will use more data in the background.

Will force stopping apps resolve the issue? or is it something else?

I have the data saver on, but it doesn't help. I don't know which apps are using data in the background.
    Has anyone had this
    issue and what did you do to resolve it. Considering shipping this phone back as it is still under warranty.
    Thanks in advance
    09-08-19 08:47 AM
    I just upgraded to a BB Keyone. My 8GB plan was plenty of data for the BB Classic.

Since I upgraded to the keyone however, it is literally eating up all my data, to the point where I have to turn off cellular data off because something just eats away at it.

I called BB support and they advised me to force stop all my apps. She said that Android phones will use more data in the background.

Will force stopping apps resolve the issue? or is it something else?

I have the data saver on, but it doesn't help. I don't know which apps are using data in the background.
    Has anyone had this
    issue and what did you do to resolve it. Considering shipping this phone back as it is still under warranty.
    Thanks in advance
    Go to settings, network & internet, data usage, cellular data usage, and then see which apps are using data.
    09-08-19 09:26 AM
    shouldn't be, try a factory reset. Was the device new? Make sure it was. There are ways to look at the manufacture date and the usage. Noodle around in crackberry to find out how to do that or ask one of the geniuses. Factory reset can do wonders. Then if you install aftermarket programs, make sure you do it one by one and let some time elapsed in between installation of each app to examine the usage. Also on the key one there is a routine called Power Center which gives you a wealth of information about the usage of power which can be coincident with the usage of data. It may point the way to which app is the offender. Setting the phone back may not be the solution unless it proves to not be new.
    09-08-19 09:26 AM
    HI, I ordered it from staples and it was a new phone....will try these recommendations. Thank you so much for your reply
    09-08-19 09:30 AM
    Hello,

Thank you for posting this, I too am facing the same situation. 8GB from Mint mobile was more than enough on my Passport but since I bought a new Keyone last month, I noticed my data allowance is gone on the third week of my current billing cycle.
    09-09-19 12:00 PM
    Hello,

Thank you for posting this, I too am facing the same situation. 8GB from Mint mobile was more than enough on my Passport but since I bought a new Keyone last month, I noticed my data allowance is gone on the third week of my current billing cycle.
    When I moved from Passport to PRIV I noticed the same thing. I dual carry and I noticed the data consumption on my other device at time went down.

You’ve just went from ART 4.3 to 8.1 so part of the increased data consumption is having a device that’s compatible with built-in functionality now being utilized.
    09-09-19 03:35 PM

Hello,

You can expect as a baseline, that an Android device with all Google Services running will consume between 350MB to 2GB of data per month solely on data collection and location tracking depending on how many different Google services a particular user subscribes to and uses daily.

https://digitalcontentnext.org/wp-co...tion-Paper.pdf

Add on top of that, any 3rd party applications which do their own data collection and tracking and it's easy to see why android phones will tend to burn through data.

As has already been suggested, you can try to determine which app might be consuming the data by accessing Cellular Data Usage under Settings -> Network & Internet.

If you don't rely on Google Services, then you can completely disable them. This will eliminate the system level tracking and data consumption. This will effectively turn your Keyone into a BB10 device whereby you are relying on 3rd party Google Play Store emulators or online .apk repositories to get your apps.

The following threads should answer any questions you might have if you choose to go down that route.

De-Googling your Android
    https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...esome-1114355/

Anonymous Internet with Tor while running a Firewall
    https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...orbot-1134676/

Disabling System Apps (which can't be disabled normally on the device)
    https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...ethod-1168996/

Cheers
    Last edited by chetmanley; 09-10-19 at 07:51 AM.
    bh7171 likes this.
    09-09-19 10:04 PM