Just recently bought and set up an LG android phone for a family member. Figured it wouldn't take too long to set up as I have become familiar with android using my K1 for the past year.

Boy was I wrong.

The amount of skinning and bloat on this thing completely shocked me. It was borderline impossible to use out of the box without accidentally triggering some widget or useless UI feature. A case of gestures gone wrong. I figured this would be remedied in the settings. And there we go down another rabbit hole. Settings are very cartoonish with icons all over the place, a weird tabbed interface you have to swipe between, and hundreds of settings to select different animations and fonts for every specific feature.

It really made me appreciate BlackBerry's rendition of android being "simple" in comparison to this. Coming with stock productivity apps is also a godsend, as apparently these don't exist on other Androids. And I found myself actually MISSING the dedicated back/home/recent buttons as the software ones on this LG kept disappearing and leaving you stranded in an app.

All in all I finally got the skin toned down enough to be usable for this person (who is coming off a 5 year old Z10 that finally bit the dust and quit receiving calls). And to be fair the LG seems like a decent device for the price, and considering it has full support for all T-Mobile bands and features, which was the primary reason it was purchased. But it really did give me a renewed appreciation for what BlackBerry is doing in the mobile space these days. And also really justifies the price of a KeyOne at $399 on amazon.

Figured you all would enjoy the rant and like to chime in with your own android horror stories.
    06-17-18 10:36 PM
    I have a cheap LG backup from AT&T and it's almost worthless.
    06-18-18 12:09 AM
    Agree totally re: the android experience being simple. I love it.

I was going to defect back to Iphone but in recent times i have grown to truly love the bespoke experience i have on this device. Who would have thought the productivity tab which i initially hated would become so instrumental to my android experience.
    06-18-18 03:53 AM
    Agree totally re: the android experience being simple. I love it.

I was going to defect back to Iphone but in recent times i have grown to truly love the bespoke experience i have on this device. Who would have thought the productivity tab which i initially hated would become so instrumental to my android experience.
    What made you think about returning to iOS?
    06-18-18 10:12 AM
    What made you think about returning to iOS?
    Mainly reliability concerns. everything went wrong at once, the car, the bike, really disrupted my life. So I made a decision not to buy exotic brands going forward and to just play it safe.

That plan didnt last long lol
    06-18-18 10:59 AM
    I agree with the awful skinning and bloat for LG phones. I use the LG G6 when I'm not using my K1. As a smartphone, it's great. I love it. The launcher is garbage, like with most OEM's. It's the first thing I ditch right away. I replace the launcher(s) with Nova Launcher.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    06-18-18 11:41 AM
    I have an LG V30 with the Blackberry Launcher and apps. Love it!
    06-19-18 06:30 PM
    Reminds me of buying a cheap computer then spending a couple of hours removing all the the bloat ware they come with.
    06-19-18 08:22 PM