Coming from an android background I have to say the first thing that drew me to BB and its PKB was that it was different. Slab devices have been looking pretty boring for some time already.

When I first looked into BB I was happy with the idea of a PKB, it was perhaps the wannabe hipster in me. However, having learnt about the BB PKB and using the K1 what I have come to realise is that the Blackberry Physical-Keyboard is such an evolution of the physical keyboard, and a better description of all those buttons at the bottom of the device is a SMART KEYBOARD, or SKB if you will.

I feel quite strongly in that BB users, fans, BBMobile and reviewers need to start using this term (or something similar) as describing those buttons as a PKB is doing it a massive disservice. When folks hear the term Physical Keyboard or PKB and look at the K1 (Priv or even Passport), unless you are already a Blackberry fan/user (note current market share is less than half a percent!), you are going to think of your current physical keyboard, the one on your PC or laptop, and think the BB one is exactly the same but miniaturised. It’s certainly what I thought whenever I’ve seen a BB. When looking at it like that it is no wonder hardly anyone gives such devices a second look.

However, just referring to the BB keyboard as a Smart Keyboard will peak people’s interest. Why is it Smart? What can it do? People (android/ios users) want to know what new features a new phone can bring, showing them what they already have, a slab, with a DUMB keyboard attached is going to send them to sleep. However, referring to said keyboard as a SKB, will have them asking for more.

I have to say that my personal experience with using the SKB has been great. I have used android and slab devices for 7 years so interacting with android using the SKB has been a joy to use and honestly a lot of fun. I appreciate that most users of this site find the keyboard features old hat, however what you need to realise/remember that for most smartphone users, they have never come across anything like it. For me using things like keyboard short cuts and keyboard scrolling is fantastic and now when I pick up my wife’s slab it really feels like going backwards in technology.

Don’t forget most smartphone users will automatically see a keyboard on a smartphone as a move backwards and will struggle to understand the point of the device. I think it is why most reviewers say that the K1 is a business phone (dunno who would buy this phone, who were BB's core demographic, OK lets say this phone is for them). Basically, they get a new phone quicker than they can change their pants so never have any interest in giving the features a chance, let alone a second or serious look.

I think if folks realised how cool the keyboard features are, or even gave them half a second’s thought, then a lot more people would take a punt and buy one, particular those who are interested in new tech. With the people who have asked me about the phone, or more specifically why would I want a keyboard, when I have said ‘well it’s a Smart Keyboard’, they have immediately asked me what do I mean by that. The term itself gets others to make enquiry about the features, as opposed to me trying to justify why one would want a keyboard on a phone.

Anyway, this post has clearly turned into a bit of a rant. I hope folks start using the Smart Keyboard (SKB) terminology instead of Physical Keyboard (PKB) as I do feel it would do wonders for BB, though perhaps I’m alone on this….
    05-15-17 10:49 AM
    Wow great idea, agreed!
    05-15-17 10:59 AM
    I do agree that today's PKB is very different, and offers many more capabilities than what anyone that has used one it the past would expect. Do think that showing what it can do would interest some.

But tomatos or tomatoes.... . Today's market wants edge to edge screens. I don't think calling the keyboard "smart" is going to change the fact that it's in the way and reducing the average user's screen size.
    05-15-17 11:00 AM
    Good call...

Posted using Z30 on CB
    05-15-17 11:01 AM
    *insert 'did not read' gif*

Sent from my  BlackBerry Passport™
    05-15-17 11:03 AM
    I agree! We should use the term SKB. Lets wish blackberry give it a shot
    05-15-17 11:08 AM
    <snip way too much text>

Yeah, the Smart KeyBoard; but you know what, the masses don't and won't care.
    They'll say "Scroll, shortcuts and flicks; big whoop." , roll their eyes and go back to their large, media dominating devices.

The educated productive laborer is Blackberry's aim and they should stay on target.

That said, this would be a nice additional advert catch phrase I to feel BB could benefit from.
    05-16-17 07:54 AM
    <snip way too much text>

Yeah, the Smart KeyBoard; but you know what, the masses don't and won't care.
    They'll say "Scroll, shortcuts and flicks; big whoop." , roll their eyes and go back to their large, media dominating devices.

The educated productive laborer is Blackberry's aim and they should stay on target.

That said, this would be a nice additional advert catch phrase I to feel BB could benefit from.
    Almost as good as Tools not Toys.... if you have to belittle other products (and their users) to try and get attention. Might have other issues you need to work on first.

FYI, Apple is already selling a Smart Keyboard....
    05-16-17 09:31 AM
    @OP your idea coming through
    05-29-17 12:06 PM