I am seriously considering trying the KeyOne despite its high price to relatively mediocre specs ratio. I think my that the phone has a lot going for it but I'm weary, in part because of the choice to go with a mid-range SoC and only 3GB of memory. Having said that, I'm after some genuine feedback before I decide whether to buy the KeyOne, or not.

Does the phone lag, stutter, drop frames, or shut down apps under moderate to heavy usage, like running 6-8 simultaneous apps, browser with 4-6 open tabs at any point in time, etc.

I know that every Android has issues as far as stutter and lag, save perhaps Pixel (even that is not perfect). My S8+ does it as well. Therefore, please give me objective answers. Note that I do not game and do not intend to game on my phone. I am a heavy user of browser, messaging/emailing, and multimedia streaming functions.
    06-05-17 12:51 AM
    The K1 is the only Android phone in existence that never lags.

Silky smooth performance, reliable, best phone ever created.

If someone experiences issues, it's them, not the phone.
    06-05-17 01:19 AM

Well, I really like the KeyOne, but I have to say that that's not my experience. I have a Google Pixel XL and if you're into a silk smooth experience, it doesn't get any better than that.

Having said that, the KeyOne is an excellent phone. I'm a heavy user - I use it to read, write, take photos and videos, edit photos, social media, listening to music, gaming and browsing. It never stutters, but you can see the difference in speed comparing to the Pixel - meaning the Pixel is very very fast and the KeyOne will take a second or two more.

The thing about the KeyOne it's that you have to need/want the pkb, or else you'll be better of with a Pixel, S8 or even with a OnePlus 3T.

For me it's the best phone to date, for my personal usage (I write a lot). And I don't even understand why people say it's not a multimedia device - I record and edit audio, take photos and movies and edit it, I even put together podcasts and it works as well as any iOS device. It maybe isn't the best video consumption device, but I don't like to stare at a 90 minutes movie in a small screen, be it 4,5 or 5,5 inches.

As for the specs, in the paper they are nothing special, but we have to understand that it was the best decision for the battery life. This is insane - last night I went to bed with 35% left and with a sot of 7h45m.

Oh, and the camera is excellent - not Google Pixel excellent, but pretty good. And it has FM radio for killing time

Final thoughts: yes, the Pixel is faster and has a larger screen, but the KeyOne is may daily driver, period.
    06-05-17 03:11 AM
    Keyone is a lot faster than any other android device on the market.

On the condition that you set keyboard shortcuts to perform your most repetitive tasks.

Every other device has performance issues when compared to the benefits of the keyones smart keyboard.
    06-05-17 05:36 AM
    I will say I am very happy with it. It is much smoother than my PRIV. I would have liked them to have done 4 gigs of memory because I don't think it would have effected battery life. I tend to keep it at 2.5 gigs of 2.8 but surprisingly it doesn't seem to slow it down much.
    I am impressed that it runs so smooth if you looked at the stats on paper you wouldn't be impressed but when using it it is very smooth.
    I am glad to report mine doesn't heat up either and that keeps the battery working for full work days
    06-05-17 09:02 AM
    On a side note: that's not how the RAM in Android works. It loads your recent apps into memory so it can load them and use them faster. If the RAM gets past a certain point, it removes the oldest used app until there's space for the new one. It does not use memory like Windows where it keep using it until you, the user, has to close applications. Android manages it on its own.
    grover5 likes this.
    06-05-17 10:26 AM
    OP3T here. Literally flawless performance.

06-05-17 10:27 AM
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. I am going to sit out this round of KeyOne shipments because of the screen lifting issues and software bugs that need to be ironed out. I had enough mess with the Passport and screen lifting. Not going through that again. When TCL puts out new devices I will consider it. I’m glad to hear that the performance is generally okay. I would have preferred 4GB of memory but I think it’s a SoC limitation.
    06-11-17 11:20 PM
    It's phenomenal!!! Super fast and amazing battery. Never lags, heats up, anything. It's truly an incredible device.
    06-11-17 11:35 PM
    Its the fastest android device on the market. By a long way.

On the condition that you use the 53 programmable shortcuts wisely.

Can perform most tasks in less half as many taps/swipe gestures than its competitors.

Has better battery life also. Which is important. VERY IMPORTANT.

So the specs that provide the battery life are great if you think about it. Instead of buying what you're told to buy.

But if you don't want the smart keyboard and all the shortcut options that come with it.

Dont get it.
    06-11-17 11:37 PM
    I haven't noticed any lag time and I usually have about 10 apps open when I"m on it from games to whatever. If your concerns about animations/transitions you can cut that down in the developer options but I honestly didn't see a difference in it when I did that to mine. I use the shortcuts to open everything because I like a minimal screen. Productivity tab is very useful for me as it shows emails, text and phone numbers but I use it all the time for emails.
    06-11-17 11:56 PM
    Great phone. No need to say more.
    06-12-17 12:28 AM

On the condition that you set keyboard shortcuts to perform your most repetitive tasks.

Every other device has performance issues when compared to the benefits of the keyones smart keyboard.
    You left out the part about having to use the BlackBerry Launcher to be able use the keyboard shortcuts.

To me, the features and customizations provided by Nova Launcher is more important than keyboard shortcuts (something I haven't used since my Bold 9700) .
    06-12-17 12:58 AM
    You left out the part about having to use the BlackBerry Launcher to be able use the keyboard shortcuts.

To me, the features and customizations provided by Nova Launcher is more important than keyboard shortcuts (something I haven't used since my Bold 9700) .
    Any chance you could put your money where your mouth is? What features are you talking about? Demo video available?

I put a fair bit of time in to nova launcher and found it to be inferior due to a sheer lack of patents. Wheel doesnt need reinventing in my opinion.
    Last edited by mikeydodds; 06-12-17 at 06:16 AM.
    06-12-17 03:38 AM
    I'd put BB launcher with kb shortcuts above Nova.

However, if we could get kb shortcuts with Nova that would be even better imo.
    06-12-17 05:32 AM
    I am seriously considering trying the KeyOne despite its high price to relatively mediocre specs ratio. I think my that the phone has a lot going for it but I'm weary, in part because of the choice to go with a mid-range SoC and only 3GB of memory. Having said that, I'm after some genuine feedback before I decide whether to buy the KeyOne, or not.

Does the phone lag, stutter, drop frames, or shut down apps under moderate to heavy usage, like running 6-8 simultaneous apps, browser with 4-6 open tabs at any point in time, etc.

I know that every Android has issues as far as stutter and lag, save perhaps Pixel (even that is not perfect). My S8+ does it as well. Therefore, please give me objective answers. Note that I do not game and do not intend to game on my phone. I am a heavy user of browser, messaging/emailing, and multimedia streaming functions.
    I haven't seen the issues you raise in my first week of use. The build quality -- despite a couple of prominent posts -- is top drawer. You won't be disappointed.
    06-12-17 05:47 AM

LMAO
    06-12-17 06:43 AM
    Those of you saying it's the fastest phone in the market.

You have used every other phone ever made? I highly doubt it.
    06-12-17 06:47 AM
    I was on a phone call for 1 hour yesterday and was working between 16 different apps finding info, looking up people, making documents, copy/paste, sending msgs.....the works.

No issues at all, it worked amazingly well and never slowed me down once. Simply stunning compared to the slow as hell Classic I was using.
    06-12-17 06:48 AM
    Performance is ok. KB shortcuts do make accessing apps quicker. In terms of actual performance though I would describe it as 'ok' which is par imo given the processor and ram combo.

I am worried as to how performance will hold up over the longer term tbh.
    kbz1960 and davidinLA like this.
    06-12-17 06:53 AM

I have a bunch of apps installed, a lot of which do stuff in the background to customize my experience. For example, pie control that gives me swipe shortcuts even within other apps, light flow to control my led notifications, although so far it doesn't seem to work so it's going to be uninstalled soon, lol, xperia clock app to replace my clock and it displays weather as well, google maps that never really turns off, keeps tracking where I am and asking if I want to post photos or a review of the place I was just in (I hate this, but it tells you this app stays open in the bg for the sake of your query), shush to restore notification volume after a certain time when I silence the phone, and a few others, and sometimes I have like 8-10 apps open at a time, switching back and forth between them or using split screen, and so far it's been really good. I'm not going to claim it's faster or as fast as phones with better specs, but by no means is it laggy and hard to use. Also, i have my animations scale lowered to 0.5 so that helps too.

Really, the only thing about the 625 soc that you will notice is the insanely good battery life...
    06-12-17 09:42 AM
    Well, I really like the KeyOne, but I have to say that that's not my experience. I have a Google Pixel XL and if you're into a silk smooth experience, it doesn't get any better than that.

Having said that, the KeyOne is an excellent phone. I'm a heavy user - I use it to read, write, take photos and videos, edit photos, social media, listening to music, gaming and browsing. It never stutters, but you can see the difference in speed comparing to the Pixel - meaning the Pixel is very very fast and the KeyOne will take a second or two more.

The thing about the KeyOne it's that you have to need/want the pkb, or else you'll be better of with a Pixel, S8 or even with a OnePlus 3T.

For me it's the best phone to date, for my personal usage (I write a lot). And I don't even understand why people say it's not a multimedia device - I record and edit audio, take photos and movies and edit it, I even put together podcasts and it works as well as any iOS device. It maybe isn't the best video consumption device, but I don't like to stare at a 90 minutes movie in a small screen, be it 4,5 or 5,5 inches.

As for the specs, in the paper they are nothing special, but we have to understand that it was the best decision for the battery life. This is insane - last night I went to bed with 35% left and with a sot of 7h45m.

Oh, and the camera is excellent - not Google Pixel excellent, but pretty good. And it has FM radio for killing time

Final thoughts: yes, the Pixel is faster and has a larger screen, but the KeyOne is may daily driver, period.
    I agree with pretty much everything you said, especially about not wanting to watch long movies on a mobile screen of any size...
    06-12-17 09:43 AM
    I have a bunch of apps installed, a lot of which do stuff in the background to customize my experience. For example, pie control that gives me swipe shortcuts even within other apps, light flow to control my led notifications, although so far it doesn't seem to work so it's going to be uninstalled soon, lol, xperia clock app to replace my clock and it displays weather as well, google maps that never really turns off, keeps tracking where I am and asking if I want to post photos or a review of the place I was just in (I hate this, but it tells you this app stays open in the bg for the sake of your query), shush to restore notification volume after a certain time when I silence the phone, and a few others, and sometimes I have like 8-10 apps open at a time, switching back and forth between them or using split screen, and so far it's been really good. I'm not going to claim it's faster or as fast as phones with better specs, but by no means is it laggy and hard to use. Also, i have my animations scale lowered to 0.5 so that helps too.

Really, the only thing about the 625 soc that you will notice is the insanely good battery life...
    Agree on the guts as my phone is the same or similar. Not going to claim its the fastest thing out there but I don't notice it lagging a lot either. Once in awhile.
    06-12-17 09:51 AM

This is not the truth

Posted via CB10
    06-12-17 12:17 PM
    If you are used to using flagship phones, since you have an S8+, there will be times you will be disappointed with its performance. Overall it runs great though, shortcuts and battery are great.
    06-12-17 12:27 PM
66 123