Was using satnav, charging and mounted in a window temp 27 degrees. Got this message after 3 hours. Didn't actually shut down.
    Attached Thumbnails Nearly overheated-img_0903.jpg  
    05-26-17 04:06 PM
    Yeah this is not something you should mount o windshield.

One time I mounted my Dtek60 on window to use as a crash cam for a long trip.. after about 3-4 hrs of recording that thing did the same. Sun shining directly on device is not a good thing. For Nav I would mounted on vent. Never have issues as AC cools it as well.
    Chris Townsend3 likes this.
    05-26-17 04:35 PM
    Not surprised really, Battery will be getting warm, GPS + CPU and GPU usage all combined would make any device warm, the windscreen wouldn't have helped either.

Posted via CB10
    05-26-17 04:49 PM
    Good idea
    05-26-17 04:49 PM
    To add it was a drive to vegas, so windshield was scorching and the device was 2 inch from windshield and the glass back really killed it.had to take it off.
    05-26-17 06:03 PM
    I always mount on the windshield. On warm/sunny days, I just turn on windshield defrost with AC ON. Never had issues
    05-26-17 06:21 PM
    Was using satnav, charging and mounted in a window temp 27 degrees. Got this message after 3 hours. Didn't actually shut down.
    Processor heat from GPS calculations, plus heat from the charging circuit, plus radiant heat absorbed from the sun = too much heat.
    05-26-17 07:58 PM
    We need to keep in mind that these devices are already super thin, even a K1 is very thin, yet they pack a lot of power and when running something as resource heavy as SatNav, it will tend to get very warm, SatNav literally gets the phone running at peak the whole time as it uses every single antenna (RF, BT, WiFi) as well as almost every Sensor (Gyro, Compass and Accelerometer), and then there's the CPU and GPU working at near full load to ensure everything runs smoothly, and then the Display is pushing near max Brightness to ensure you can see it, on top of that you have it plugged in charging which in itself causes some heat to.

I actually wonder how long Uber driver's phones last with all that going on on a daily basis.
    Chris Townsend3 likes this.
    05-27-17 12:50 AM
    Smartphone SOCs are not built for continuous heavy usage, sadly this could happen to any modern "high end" phone.

Where muh active cooling at
    05-27-17 01:01 AM
    Serious question:

Is this thread meant for information purposes? Or are you legitimately surprised that leaving your phone in the heat while running the same task for hours might cause it to become too hot?
    xandros9 likes this.
    05-27-17 01:13 AM
    Consider it good that it had to take a 3 whole hours for that to happen
    05-27-17 02:27 AM
    Serious question:

Is this thread meant for information purposes? Or are you legitimately

surprised that leaving your phone in the heat while running the same task for hours might cause it to become too hot?
    Informative.

My S7, Apple devices never threw up this message, but as somebody helpfully sudgested, putting the aircon directed on the windshield would have probably helped the Keyone.

It might seem blindingly obvious now, but when you're rushing to your mothers potential death bed, your mind can do silly things.

Regards
    05-27-17 02:59 AM