I usually post my new product reviews shortly after the device is released, but I finally was able to get a good deal on a used but like new K1 unlocked GSM model. So here is my take on the K1 after using it for a week as my daily driver:

Build: The device feels like a solid device in my hands and I haven't had any screen lift issue and my device is a 05/31/2017 build date. The device has a premium look and folks have noticed it everywhere I go. I wish the keys on the PKB where just a touch larger because I have paws for hands, but like every other Blackberry I have had, I have adapted to using the device. I thought TCL did a good job for the first time around making a PKB device.

Screen: Coming from an iPhone 7, the screen is more the adequate for what I use my device for, it's bright and the graphics and text are sharp. Granted I wish it was a OLED or Amoled, but it does the job for what I use my device for. I don't use my device for watching movies or playing games, mainly as a communications device for my business.

Keyboard: As I said, I have big thumbs and the smaller keys took a while to get used to. I do like the capacitive keyboard for scrolling thru websites and documents and works well with all of my apps. The only thing I wish they change in the future is make the keys a tad larger.

Software: First of all Blackberry's take on Android will never function like OS10 and I have accepted that. Now that I have that out of the way. I use the HUB for all my emails and social messaging and I feel it has gotten much better with each software update. I haven't noticed any serious lag or notifications not showing up in the Hub. I just download the latest system update yesterday and the device is running smooth.

Apps:This is the NUMBER ONE reason to go with the K1 versus OS10, I loved OS10 as much as the next Blackberry purist, but this is 2017 and apps are how things get done now. The Android app store has everything you will ever need in terms of apps. The one major difference I have noticed between Android and IOS apps is the IOS apps seem more polished then their Android variants. But thats just my opinion.

Verdict: I feel the K1 is a great alternative to the OS10 devices and for those who love the PKB and need apps for their daily needs as I do, I feel the device will more then soot their needs. I am glad Blackberry and TCL have acknowledged the screen lift issues and have made the necessary fixes in the production process. My myself, I bought mine for 300 off of Craigslist and to me its a deal I couldn't pass up and is now my daily driver. Thanks for taking the time to read my thread.
    10-12-17 07:21 AM
    @bakron1

Excellent review, I always find your reviews and comments well thought out and very informative.

I myself have had the CDMA KeyOne since June, after winning it at a CB meetup here in DC. Coming from my trusty bullet-proof (with the exception of the batter) Z10, I was extremely hesitant to make the switch. I have been using a PRIV as my business phone since release, and while I have always carried 2 phones, I will be making the switch to have my KeyOne as my business phone and move the PRIV to my personal device.

Since delivery of the KeyOne, I have ha absolutely no issues - other than having to wait while on the April 5 Security patch until last month when it was finally updated. But no screen issues, ZERO lag and no cell/connectivity issues or dropped calls.

I love this device, and look forward to many more, but with the announcement that TCL will be selling 49% of its mobile division, I fear that if the Motion doesn't come to VZW (or a variant I can use on the BYOD plan) these 2 devices might actually be my last "Blackberry" phones...

https://www.channelnews.com.au/tcl-a...hone-business/
    bakron1 and duncan86 like this.
    10-12-17 08:22 AM
    I usually post my new product reviews shortly after the device is released, but I finally was able to get a good deal on a used but like new K1 unlocked GSM model. So here is my take on the K1 after using it for a week as my daily driver:

Build: The device feels like a solid device in my hands and I haven't had any screen lift issue and my device is a 05/31/2017 build date. The device has a premium look and folks have noticed it everywhere I go. I wish the keys on the PKB where just a touch larger because I have paws for hands, but like every other Blackberry I have had, I have adapted to using the device. I thought TCL did a good job for the first time around making a PKB device.

Screen: Coming from an iPhone 7, the screen is more the adequate for what I use my device for, it's bright and the graphics and text are sharp. Granted I wish it was a OLED or Amoled, but it does the job for what I use my device for. I don't use my device for watching movies or playing games, mainly as a communications device for my business.

Keyboard: As I said, I have big thumbs and the smaller keys took a while to get used to. I do like the capacitive keyboard for scrolling thru websites and documents and works well with all of my apps. The only thing I wish they change in the future is make the keys a tad larger.

Software: First of all Blackberry's take on Android will never function like OS10 and I have accepted that. Now that I have that out of the way. I use the HUB for all my emails and social messaging and I feel it has gotten much better with each software update. I haven't noticed any serious lag or notifications not showing up in the Hub. I just download the latest system update yesterday and the device is running smooth.

Apps:This is the NUMBER ONE reason to go with the K1 versus OS10, I loved OS10 as much as the next Blackberry purist, but this is 2017 and apps are how things get done now. The Android app store has everything you will ever need in terms of apps. The one major difference I have noticed between Android and IOS apps is the IOS apps seem more polished then their Android variants. But thats just my opinion.

Verdict: I feel the K1 is a great alternative to the OS10 devices and for those who love the PKB and need apps for their daily needs as I do, I feel the device will more then soot their needs. I am glad Blackberry and TCL have acknowledged the screen lift issues and have made the necessary fixes in the production process. My myself, I bought mine for 300 off of Craigslist and to me its a deal I couldn't pass up and is now my daily driver. Thanks for taking the time to read my thread.
    Nice post Barron.

Posted by Passport Silver Editon
    bakron1 likes this.
    10-12-17 08:46 AM
    Thanks Bakron for your review. As one of the BlackBerry purists beforehand, your review says a lot. Hey, still running the Classic Owners Group?
    bakron1 likes this.
    10-12-17 08:49 AM
    Love the passion that you have for BlackBerry device, thanks for sharing with us. I haven't own the keyone yet and I wish the keyboard on the keyone a bit bigger too.

Posted via CB10
    bakron1 likes this.
    10-12-17 09:30 AM
    Great post!

I was reluctant to move from Passport to K1, but ATT made the cost easy to bear so I took the plunge. The keyboard and Hub work quite well. It functions satisfactorily as my primary. I have learned to use android well. I consider it an interim phone and look forward to BBMo developing a flagship PKB device.
    bakron1 likes this.
    10-12-17 09:40 AM
    Yep, I am still running the classic owners group along with my other friends whom some have been in the group going on three years. Never expected it to last that long, but we have all become good friends and still have over 40 active members.
    10-12-17 10:00 AM
    Thanks Bakron for your review. As one of the BlackBerry purists beforehand, your review says a lot. Hey, still running the Classic Owners Group?
    Yep, I am still running the classic owners group along with my other friends whom some have been in the group going on three years. Never expected it to last that long, but we have all become good friends and still have over 40 active members.
    10-12-17 10:01 AM