I've had the KEYone since it came out. I'm on VZW. I'm a business user. I have nothing out of the ordinary on the phone. It's been running Nougat 7.1.1 since that came out. In the past it's run just fine for my needs, but lately it's been lagging whenever I do anything, and it's gotten worse and is getting so bad it's barely usable at times.

Memory usage shows 2.1 GB or 2.3 GB in use out of a total of 2.8 GB on a restart! It usually quickly levels off at about 2.3 GB in use out of 2.8 GB total.

And looking at the memory usage by indiviual apps reveals nothing out of the ordinary -- just the Android OS and other normal Google services:

My KEYone is very low on memory-bb-k1-memusage-screenshot_20190308-180743.jpg

I don't mind a little lag here and there, but these lags are now almost making it borderline functional. It's still usable but I have to reboot at least every day or two and on rare occasion things like answering a call just lag so long it goes outside the realm of still qualifying as being functional.

No WiFi is connected (or VPN) when this is occuring, by the way.

I will get the Key2 as soon as I can afford it, which is not possible today.

Any realsitic suggestions on how I can make the KEYone more functional?

Thanks!
    03-09-19 02:53 PM
    I've had the KEYone since it came out. I'm on VZW. I'm a business user. I have nothing out of the ordinary on the phone. It's been running Nougat 7.1.1 since that came out. In the past it's run just fine for my needs, but lately it's been lagging whenever I do anything, and it's gotten worse and is getting so bad it's barely usable at times.

Memory usage shows 2.1 GB or 2.3 GB in use out of a total of 2.8 GB on a restart! It usually quickly levels off at about 2.3 GB in use out of 2.8 GB total.

And looking at the memory usage by indiviual apps reveals nothing out of the ordinary -- just the Android OS and other normal Google services:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BB-K1 MemUsage - Screenshot_20190308-180743.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	443320

I don't mind a little lag here and there, but these lags are now almost making it borderline functional. It's still usable but I have to reboot at least every day or two and on rare occasion things like answering a call just lag so long it goes outside the realm of still qualifying as being functional.

No WiFi is connected (or VPN) when this is occuring, by the way.

I will get the Key2 as soon as I can afford it, which is not possible today.

Any realsitic suggestions on how I can make the KEYone more functional?

Thanks!
    Why are you on Nougat? Are you using a CDMA device?

Have you cleared the app cache? Settings, storage, internal, cached data.
    03-09-19 03:07 PM
    Thanks. I've now cleared all app cache. Restarted and it shows 1.9 of 2.8 GB in use (which is a little better than the 2.1 GB it showed prior to that). We'll see how long it takes to creep up from there.

VZW KEYone is CDMA. No Oreo coming for it. I have to go to the Key2 to get to Oreo, when I'm able.
    03-09-19 03:56 PM
    Thanks. I've now cleared all app cache. Restarted and it shows 1.9 of 2.8 GB in use (which is a little better than the 2.1 GB it showed prior to that). We'll see how long it takes to creep up from there.

VZW KEYone is CDMA. No Oreo coming for it. I have to go to the Key2 to get to Oreo, when I'm able.
    I usually clear the cache about once a week, or if it grows above 800MB - whichever comes first.

Android attempts to use as much memory as you have available - otherwise it's wasted ram.

The problem is that some apps don't give it back properly - hence the need to occasionally clear the cache.
    03-09-19 04:09 PM
    Okay, well, based on that I have reason to be optimistic this will prove to be a big help. Thanks so much!
    Rico4you likes this.
    03-09-19 04:14 PM
    I usually clear the cache about once a week, or if it grows above 800MB - whichever comes first.

Android attempts to use as much memory as you have available - otherwise it's wasted ram.

The problem is that some apps don't give it back properly - hence the need to occasionally clear the cache.
    I cannot see the cache option. When I go to settings>storage>internal I only have option to remove backed up items. Is the right option?
    03-10-19 01:15 AM
    I cannot see the cache option. When I go to settings>storage>internal I only have option to remove backed up items. Is the right option?
    Maybe do a Google search with the model of your phone, OS, and "clear app cache."
    03-10-19 01:19 AM
    I recently improved the performance and ram usage on my K1 (nougat) by disabling blackberry hub+ services. Of course this makes hub useless (I had it disabled anyway) along with blackberry contacts, but I find google contacts runs faster anyway.

After disabling Blackberry hub+ services and DTEK realtime scanning, the device is performing MUCH better in general for me.
    03-10-19 01:30 AM
    I have to say that doing what conite suggested -- clear app cache -- seems thus far to have instantly restored speed back to my KEYone. I expect to be doing this often, as he does. Very glad I learned this. It seems to be the right fix for me. It went from barely useable back to fast and crisp.
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    03-10-19 01:38 AM
    It's different with Oreo. We are discussing Nougat.
    03-10-19 08:18 AM
    I'm just curious: Are you still on Nougat as well?

Or are you employing steps to clear the apps cache in Oreo or Pie? (I've been reading that doing so may or may not be as necessary in Oreo or Pie as in Nougat, and is certainly not as easy as in Nougat.)
    03-10-19 01:41 PM
    I'm just curious: Are you still on Nougat as well?

Or are you employing steps to clear the apps cache in Oreo or Pie? (I've been reading that doing so may or may not be as necessary in Oreo or Pie as in Nougat, and is certainly not as easy as in Nougat.)
    Not on Nougat currently.
    03-10-19 02:59 PM
    Not on Nougat currently.
    I'm guessing Key2. So, you're on Oreo?

What I've read suggests, as I said, it's "supposedly" not as necessary to clear apps cache in Oreo (at leat, the OS is "intended" to manage things much better than Nougat), and also that it's pretty challenging to clear "all" apps cache in one step with Oreo.

You're apparently finding it useful to do it often in Oreo, though, assuming you're on Oreo.

So, if that's the case, how do you go about it, if I may ask?

(Forgive me if I'm prying. Just curious.)

Thanks!
    03-10-19 03:06 PM
    I'm guessing Key2. So, you're on Oreo?

What I've read suggests, as I said, it's "supposedly" not as necessary to clear apps cache in Oreo (at leat, the OS is "intended" to manage things much better than Nougat), and also that it's pretty challenging to clear "all" apps cache in one step with Oreo.

You're apparently finding it useful to do it often in Oreo, though, assuming you're on Oreo.

So, if that's the case, how do you go about it, if I may ask?

(Forgive me if I'm prying. Just curious.)

Thanks!
    I was speaking more to the situation here, and Nougat, where it is beneficial to clear the cache often.

On Oreo, it is not as necessary, but still helps occasionally for a few apps.

The only way to do it is app by app.
    03-10-19 03:24 PM
    Conite, this post was very useful, thank you!
    03-11-19 09:19 PM

Have you cleared the app cache? Settings, storage, internal, cached data.
    cached data no longer available to clear...
    03-14-19 09:00 AM
    cached data no longer available to clear...
    You can clear cache via each app. It's an option.
    03-14-19 09:35 AM
    You can clear cache via each app. It's an option.
    Nougat and Oreo are very different with respect to clearing apps cache.

Nougat allows you to do it all in one shot, and it's much more necssary to do it in Nougat than in Oreo.

Oreo no longer provides the option to do it all in one shot. In Oreo, you can do it but only by one app at a time, and in Oreo it's much less necessary to do it than in Nougat (at least, that's the intention with Oreo).
    Rico4you likes this.
    03-14-19 12:29 PM