So I've got a key-one. PRD-63116-001. That's the one that's NOT from AT&T. I'm on Pure Talk USA (ATT MVNO).

Phone started acting weird on Monday. Data and texts working. Any attempts to make a phone call just shot back to the dialer screen.

So I guess I'm not supported under the 3g shutdown. BUT....

If I switch my apn from the customized one for puretalk back to "ATT Nxtgenhone" then I can make phone calls, but text and data does not work.

Can this be fixed or is it time to bite the bullet and get a new phone? Haven't spent the hour on phone with Pure Talk support just to get no where so I figured I'd try here first.

Roveer.
    03-01-22 03:55 PM
    So I've got a key-one. PRD-63116-001. That's the one that's NOT from AT&T. I'm on Pure Talk USA (ATT MVNO).

Phone started acting weird on Monday. Data and texts working. Any attempts to make a phone call just shot back to the dialer screen.

If I switch my apn from the customized one for puretalk back to "ATT Nxtgenhone" then I can make phone calls, but text and data does not work.

Can this be fixed or is it time to bite the bullet and get a new phone? Haven't spent the hour on phone with Pure Talk support just to get no where so I figured I'd try here first.

Roveer.
    Yet another reason to move on - the first being the huge security risk of using a 2017 phone that is 3 years out of security patches and 4 OS versions behind.
    03-01-22 03:57 PM
    Yet another reason to move on - the first being the huge security risk of using a 2017 phone that is 3 years out of security patches and 4 OS versions behind.
    Understood. But while I undergo my search for a new phone, is it possible that this is just a configuration (whether on the phone or with the provider) issue? It is capable of making phone calls, but i have to switch apn's in order to do so. If it was truly no longer compatible I would think I would be unable to make a voice call at all. Guess I'm giving up and will end up with a huge slab of glass. So not me, but I guess it's time to conform.

Roveer
    03-01-22 09:25 PM
    Understood. But while I undergo my search for a new phone, is it possible that this is just a configuration (whether on the phone or with the provider) issue? It is capable of making phone calls, but i have to switch apn's in order to do so. If it was truly no longer compatible I would think I would be unable to make a voice call at all. Guess I'm giving up and will end up with a huge slab of glass. So not me, but I guess it's time to conform.

Roveer
    You’re caught in the web of non-AT&T support. I wouldn’t recommend staying with a carrier that doesn’t want to support you. I’m not sure how long T-Mobile remains a viable solution. While they’re saying you’re welcome, there own website still only guarantees support for T-Mobile sold devices for enhanced calling features. At the end of the day, the carriers aren’t fighting BlackBerry, they’re just supporting progress and planned for obsolescence…
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-01-22 09:32 PM

Roveer
    Configuration issue of a non-AT&T Keyone on AT&T's network... only solution would be moving to T-Mobile or one of their MVNOs. KEYone should work, even without 3G (which could still be on for a while longer) it's that KEY devices aren't whitelisted to be allowed. You could try using a SIM from an approved device... but if or how long that would work, before your account was just cut off?

There really is nothing else out there.... so why put it off any longer?
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-02-22 08:06 AM
    Configuration issue of a non-AT&T Keyone on AT&T's network... only solution would be moving to T-Mobile or one of their MVNOs. KEYone should work, even without 3G (which could still be on for a while longer) it's that KEY devices aren't whitelisted to be allowed. You could try using a SIM from an approved device... but if or how long that would work, before your account was just cut off?

There really is nothing else out there.... so why put it off any longer?
    In fact, more recently, AT&T has been know to cut off a phone within less than an hour of detecting a SIM originally from an approved device installed in an unapproved device.

AT&T don't play.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-02-22 08:38 AM
    OK, so today the phone portion stopped working no matter what apn I tried, so that's the end of that. One question: Does this keyONE have any resale value? It's in very good condition.
    03-02-22 01:22 PM
    OK, so today the phone portion stopped working no matter what apn I tried, so that's the end of that. One question: Does this keyONE have any resale value? It's in very good condition.
    Sure it does, lot's of markets where 3G won't be phased out for several years. Plus many are counting on T-Mobile to still support unlocked KEYone devices with LTE only.
    03-02-22 01:51 PM

Roveer.
    I'm encountering the same problem. This just happened this morning. AT&T only had me get a new SIM card, which obviously didn't solve the problem.

The question is, will a Key2 be any better on AT&T's network?
    03-02-22 03:06 PM
    I'm encountering the same problem. This just happened this morning. AT&T only had me get a new SIM card, which obviously didn't solve the problem.

The question is, will a Key2 be any better on AT&T's network?
    Nope.

Only the KEYone PRD-63116-036 is supported.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-02-22 03:12 PM
    Nope.

Only the KEYone PRD-63116-036 is supported.
    And just to clarify further, this specific PRD was for K1s sold directly by AT&T. Those are the only Key-series phones that will work on AT&T or any AT&T MVNO going forward. The only other supported BB phones on AT&T are the AT&T-sold Privs - nothing else.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-02-22 03:18 PM
    My KeyONE could be moved to another carrier if I want to break up my family plan. I suppose my issue is how productive I feel on phone's current keyboard, whereas I no longer seem to have the option to buy a new phone with a keyboard. I've never typed more than a few words on a touchscreen device.

Edit:
    Semi-update:
    AT&T Tech Support says that the KeyONE is on their list of approved devices even after nuking 3G. Without further hijacking of this thread, I will make a new thread if/when I get somewhere.
    Last edited by bigballofyarn; 03-03-22 at 09:02 AM.
    03-02-22 03:23 PM
    My KeyONE could be moved to another carrier if I want to break up my family plan. I suppose my issue is how productive I feel on phone's current keyboard, whereas I no longer seem to have the option to buy a new phone with a keyboard. I've never typed more than a few words on a touchscreen device.

Edit:
    Semi-update:
    AT&T Tech Support says that the KeyONE is on their list of approved devices even after nuking 3G. Without further hijacking of this thread, I will make a new thread if/when I get somewhere.
    This only applies to the AT&T-sold K1s, PRD-63116-036. AT&T will block all BB-branded phones except the specific K1s and Privs that they themselves sold. This was announced more than 6 months ago.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-03-22 01:31 PM
    This strategy by AT&T is absurd. Basically eliminates the BYOD option. Seems like they are going back to the days when people bought phones through carriers. They will lose subscribers in droves.
    bh7171 likes this.
    03-03-22 01:35 PM
    This strategy by AT&T is absurd. Basically eliminates the BYOD option. Seems like they are going back to the days when people bought phones through carriers. They will lose subscribers in droves.
    AT&T whitelists 335 phones from 28 manufacturers.

So no. BYOD is alive and well.

They just don't support a handful of outlier devices.
    Laura Knotek and pdr733 like this.
    03-03-22 01:41 PM
    It wont even be a blip. As Conite has pointed out there are 335 phones from 28 manufacturers on the list of allowed smartphones. Most all iPhones and Samsungs are on it. Very few people wont already be using these devices. Its a non issue
    03-03-22 01:41 PM
    Nope it's smart business move, and it's not going to show up on their bottom line at all. This has been an known issue for almost a year, most have accepted it and moved on to a new phone. And their earnings report numbers for the last few quarters show their Churn rate is a record low and new post paid subscriber numbers are on the rise.

How many waited for the end to come during this quarter... I don't know, but I bet next earning report it will not show what your hoping for. A reason for them to change their policy.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-03-22 01:45 PM
    I do not see how forcing people to switch carriers is a good business move, but maybe that's just me. Any device capable of LTE should be permitted. AT&T has no reason to not allow a customer to BYOD a perfectly compatible device.
    bh7171 likes this.
    03-03-22 01:56 PM
    I do not see how forcing people to switch carriers is a good business move, but maybe that's just me. Any device capable of LTE should be permitted. AT&T has no reason to not allow a customer to BYOD a perfectly compatible device.
    You cost them too much. They've done the math where ramping up support for your outlier device isn't worth it for the tiny user base. They would rather you leave.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-03-22 02:06 PM
    You cost them too much. They've done the math where ramping up support for your outlier device isn't worth it for the tiny user base. They would rather you leave.
    I personally don't cost them anything as I ditched them in 2015. I'm just annoyed at that a carrier feels like it's a good business strategy to boot people off their network with perfectly compatible devices. Not even talking about BlackBerrys. Unihertz phones, international GSM versions of recent flagships, the new AstroSlide 5g, etc. These devices will work just fine on their network if they didn't have this silly whitelist.

And what support? AT&T would not need to provide anything to the user except access to the network. Device specific support comes from the OEM, not the carrier, anyway.
    bh7171 likes this.
    03-03-22 02:18 PM
    I personally don't cost them anything as I ditched them in 2015. I'm just annoyed at that a carrier feels like it's a good business strategy to boot people off their network with perfectly compatible devices. Not even talking about BlackBerrys. Unihertz phones, international GSM versions of recent flagships, the new AstroSlide 5g, etc. These devices will work just fine on their network if they didn't have this silly whitelist.

And what support? AT&T would not need to provide anything to the user except access to the network. Device specific support comes from the OEM, not the carrier, anyway.
    If you have network connection issues, you have to contact your carrier.

They are a private business. They don't owe you a thing.
    03-03-22 02:21 PM
    If you have network connection issues, you have to contact your carrier.

They are a private business. They don't owe you a thing.
    I'm well aware that they don't owe me a thing. And users will walk away in droves when they refuse to support compatible devices. Not that it's any loss, as AT&T charges a ridiculous amount compared to the competition.
    03-03-22 02:22 PM
    I'm well aware that they don't owe me a thing. And users will walk away in droves when they refuse to support compatible devices. Not that it's any loss, as AT&T charges a ridiculous amount compared to the competition.
    Droves? Like all 27 people?
    03-03-22 02:29 PM
    Droves? Like all 27 people?
    You really think there are only 27 people affected by this?
    03-03-22 02:31 PM
    You really think there are only 27 people affected by this?
    No he doesn't, but then it's not a statically large number either.... we will see with their next earnings report, but even 27,000 would be only a blip. Assuming they all left during this quarter - and I don't think we are talking about 27,000 at all.

AT&T will be fine without however many opt to leave them over this issue.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-03-22 02:59 PM
72 123