09-26-17 09:09 PM
90 1234
tools
    leave it in rice and leave it alone i got my Priv wet with putting a screen saver on it and to much solutuon got under the screen i guess and went on the fritz.

I put it in rice left it plugged in and two days later came back to life and never had a issue
    06-02-17 04:06 PM
    The main problem, I think, wasn't necessarily that it was saltwater, but me being stupid and trying to use the phone shortly after it got wet. At first the phone seemed to work fine, then it started behaving weirdly, and in the end it got stuck in that endless boot-up loop which it is still in...
    06-02-17 04:27 PM
    The main problem, I think, wasn't necessarily that it was saltwater, but me being stupid and trying to use the phone shortly after it got wet. At first the phone seemed to work fine, then it started behaving weirdly, and in the end it got stuck in that endless boot-up loop which it is still in...
    Hi, really sorry about your your situation. I realise that my advice is too late and I'm not trying to be smug but, knowing that the KEYone has no water resistance when I bought my pre-UK release at Selfridges, I also took out the Carphone Warehouse insurance which also includes water damage. Like many people, I've dropped various Mobile phones into water by accident, most of them continued to work after removing the battery (I know that's not straight forward with a lot of phones now, including KEYone) and using a hair dryer on low heat to dry them out. For what it's worth my advice to anyone buying any non water proof phone is to buy extra insurance. Hope your phone starts working.
    06-02-17 04:52 PM
    Hi, really sorry about your your situation. I realise that my advice is too late and I'm not trying to be smug but, knowing that the KEYone has no water resistance when I bought my pre-UK release at Selfridges, I also took out the Carphone Warehouse insurance which also includes water damage. Like many people, I've dropped various Mobile phones into water by accident, most of them continued to work after removing the battery (I know that's not straight forward with a lot of phones now, including KEYone) and using a hair dryer on low heat to dry them out. For what it's worth my advice to anyone buying any non water proof phone is to buy extra insurance. Hope your phone starts working.
    Thank you for your sympathy. Honestly, I am not the kind of person who believes in insurances (except house and car insurance). I choose to save money for emergencies instead. For that reason I am able to buy a new K1. Besides, insurances don't really work well here. I mean, if I was actually able to buy the phone down here for a reasonable price with a reasonable full cover insurance, I would definitely consider it, alas that's not possible, and even if it were possible, they overcharge mobile phones like crazy here. That's why I order all such things from abroad (even with shipping and customs charges they are much cheaper to order from the USA or from Europe). Last time I checked Amazon Mexico the K1 was priced at 21,000 pesos (1,124 USD)...

However, be sure that I will never bring the K1 to the beach again without​ protecting the sh!t out of it, hehe...
    rx8er likes this.
    06-02-17 06:56 PM
    Just out of curiousity, have you removed the SIM tray?
    More holes to let the water evaporate.
    Also if the true last hope is removing the battery and flushing with pure water and solvent.
    06-02-17 07:19 PM
    Thanks. I have already done that, as can be seen on the picture above. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get hold of a Torx screwdriver yet, so I am unable to remove the battery. If I plug in the charger, the phone is just stuck on this reboot loop, trying to turn itself on, but not being able to...
    Amazon has a set of screwdrivers for under $10 that I used when my SIM adapter got stuck in my Z30. They are a bit "cheap" but worked and saved my phone.

BB 9000>Q10>Z10>Z30>Z30>
    Classic>Dtek50>
    06-02-17 10:38 PM
    Hi,

So I should never have brought my K1, which I just got on Thursday afternoon, over to Acapulco. My phone was in my girlfriend's purse with a towel wrapped around it and this huge wave came out of nowhere, turned the purse over and made both our phones wet (hers much more than mine). Hers was completely dead, but mine still turned on but behaved weirdly. We put the phones in rice for almost 24 hours. Hers actually worked perfectly after that (a Sony Xperia X Compact) while mine is just stuck on this start-up loop every 3 seconds. I cannot make it turn on. I have this acquaintance coming over later today (I think) who is really good with electronics. He is going to try to open it up... I don't know what else to do. Warranty never covers water damage. I'm so gutted, because like many of you, I waited for this thing for like 7 months. I'm back to using my old Dtek50 now... It seems the K1 is extremely sensitive when it comes to water...

Tragicomically, right before we went down to the beach I was showing off my brand spanking new K1 to my friends who were very impressed. I thought about not bringing the phone down to the beach, but there were so many interesting things there to shoot with the camera (like the ruins of an enormous, abandoned drug-lord hotel etc...).

Any suggestion would be most welcomed.
    Thanks
    All these suggestions regarding rice, avoiding turn it on, etc are only applicable to fresh water invasion. This is salt water. Kiss of death. Forget a repair.
    06-03-17 12:49 AM
    All these suggestions regarding rice, avoiding turn it on, etc are only applicable to fresh water invasion. This is salt water. Kiss of death. Forget a repair.
    Yes, I kind of realised that almost immediately. But I still had to try, you know. Anyway, I have a new one coming next week, hopefully.
    06-03-17 04:01 AM
    So, I kind of got it working now. I'm typing on it right now. Some things like swiping on the keyboard no longer works, the camera no longer works (I had some issues getting the back cover back on (especially around the camera lens) after removing it. This is just like my initial testing run. I'll come back with more findings later. There are some weird behaviour here and there. As it is right now, I wouldn't say it's useful enough for me. I have a new one coming anyway. Don't know what to do with this one yet, but I'll keep trying to make it function better.

EDIT: So the speaker won't play any sound. I keep getting this 'the headphones have been connected/disconnected' notification, but the sound does play through a headset, just not the phone's speaker.

Surprisingly, the fingerprint scanner works just fine, but none of the keyboard swiping gestures work. The keyboard's backlight works just fine as well. There are more things that work, than not.

The battery appears to be draining faster than usual.

The notifications sound is lower than usual, but at least it shows that the speaker is not dead.
    Last edited by Barbareren; 06-06-17 at 06:08 PM.
    krazyatom likes this.
    06-06-17 03:34 PM
    It is recommended that you open its back cover, and then use a fan to blow it a few hours, and then try to boot. I had accidentally dropped my 9930 water, which led to the inability to boot, and then I saved it with this method.
    This isn't a (fresh) water problem, it's a SALT water problem - totally different solution needed, which the OP already has.
    06-06-17 06:56 PM
    Have you disconnected the battery and then flushed the K1 with pure water & isopropyl alcohol, then dried it for some hours in a temperature controlled owen (50 C) or with a hairdryer at minimum heat setting?

If you already have flushed it etc, then likely the saltwater has shorted something here and there...

Keep us informed!
    06-06-17 07:11 PM
    Have you disconnected the battery and then flushed the K1 with pure water & isopropyl alcohol, then dried it for some hours in a temperature controlled owen (50 C) or with a hairdryer at minimum heat setting?

If you already have flushed it etc, then likely the saltwater has shorted something here and there...

Keep us informed!
    I haven't flushed it, no, but I've opened up the back and have gotten rid of the traces of sand and dried it out well. I removed the battery, but wasn't able to fully detach it. Anyway, now I'm doing a factory reset, but it is taking forever...
    06-06-17 07:23 PM
    I haven't flushed it, no, but I've opened up the back and have gotten rid of the traces of sand and dried it out well. I removed the battery, but wasn't able to fully detach it. Anyway, now I'm doing a factory reset, but it is taking forever...
    Why the factory reset??

Its the saltwater your problem, and its not possible to "solve" it (literally!) with a reset...
    I'd say also that leaving the phone ON with saltwater still around is not a good idea at all.

Detach the damn battery and flush the phone!
    06-06-17 07:39 PM
    Why the factory reset??

Its the saltwater your problem, and its not possible to "solve" it (literally!) with a reset...
    I'd say also that leaving the phone ON with saltwater still around is not a good idea at all.

Detach the damn battery and flush the phone!
    Hi. I just picked up a set of screwdrivers that should do the trick when it comes to detaching the battery. I also have distilled water and pharmacy alcohol. Could you please describe the process to me in detail?
    Thanks
    06-07-17 05:28 PM
    Battery finally removed. Flushing with alcohol is in progress.
    06-07-17 06:06 PM
    Battery finally removed. Flushing with alcohol is in progress.
    Great!
    I'd immerge it then in pure water (your distilled water is likely not 100% pure, but the alcohol should remove the possible residues), then again in alcohol.
    Shaking it also, and giving it some hours to let the liquids reach everything.

I would also remove the SIM tray, before the flushing, so water and alcohol can better penetrate.

Finally, before you will reattach the battery, let dry it for some hours, depending on the temperature there.
    06-07-17 06:57 PM
    Turn it off immediately and put in a bag of rice
    He did for 24 hours!
    06-07-17 07:07 PM
    Great!
    I'd immerge it then in pure water (your distilled water is likely not 100% pure, but the alcohol should remove the possible residues), then again in alcohol.
    Shaking it also, and giving it some hours to let the liquids reach everything.

I would also remove the SIM tray, before the flushing, so water and alcohol can better penetrate.

Finally, before you will reattach the battery, let dry it for some hours, depending on the temperature there.
    Thanks man. I have followed your instructions. I should have done all this right after it happened of course, but I wouldn't have been able to then anyway, so... I don't have any hopes of salvaging the phone at this point, but hey, it's worth a final try, no

Btw., were you serious about drying the phone in an oven? I have a gas oven... Should I rap it in some tinfoil or something...?
    06-07-17 08:01 PM
    Thanks man. I have followed your instructions. I should have done all this right after it happened of course, but I wouldn't have been able to then anyway, so... I don't have any hopes of salvaging the phone at this point, but hey, it's worth a final try, no

Btw., were you serious about drying the phone in an oven? I have a gas oven... Should I rap it in some tinfoil or something...?
    Yes, its worth trying:
    maybe the K1 has some water-resistance indeed, and so maybe the saltwater has not made too much of damage.
    If it will not work... well, we all will know K1 is _not_ waterproof (see btw the survived x compact).

About the oven:
    yes I'm serious, I've successfully used it on wet electronics more than one time.
    But I've an electric, ventilated, temperature controlled oven, so, no risks of overheating.
    A rule of thumb test is if you can rest your hand on the metal grid inside: if yes, then for the phone is ok too.
    Since its a gas oven, be careful on the temp!
    Maybe leave it partially opened, if you happen to find the temperature, with the hand-on method, too high.
    Anyway, do some tests before placing there your K1.

P.S. no tinfoil, bare phone without back.
    Better if you have a ventilated oven, of course.
    If not, move it, face up, face down... I'd use a wood piece, and put the K1 on it, to avoid contact with (possibly hot) metal.
    06-07-17 08:53 PM
    Yes, its worth trying:
    maybe the K1 has some water-resistance indeed, and so maybe the saltwater has not made too much of damage.
    If it will not work... well, we all will know K1 is _not_ waterproof (see btw the survived x compact).

About the oven:
    yes I'm serious, I've successfully used it on wet electronics more than one time.
    But I've an electric, ventilated, temperature controlled oven, so, no risks of overheating.
    A rule of thumb test is if you can rest your hand on the metal grid inside: if yes, then for the phone is ok too.
    Since its a gas oven, be careful on the temp!
    Maybe leave it partially opened, if you happen to find the temperature, with the hand-on method, too high.
    Anyway, do some tests before placing there your K1.

P.S. no tinfoil, bare phone without back.
    Better if you have a ventilated oven, of course.
    If not, move it, face up, face down... I'd use a wood piece, and put the K1 on it, to avoid contact with (possibly hot) metal.
    Hmm, okay. Thanks again. First I'll let it dry alone for awhile, I think. Then I might try the oven thing. All that would have been much easier back in Norway, hehe, but here I'm renting this big ol' 80s house which has never been renovated, afaik, lol. I have one of those small electric ovens, but that seems riskier as there is no ventilation whatsoever...
    06-07-17 09:04 PM
    I eventually found the right setting on my oven, so now I have it drying in there...
    06-07-17 09:58 PM
    did you rest your head on the grid? just checking. (if i were you, i wouldn't do it... i just leave it in the bag of rice for another month).
    06-07-17 10:03 PM
    did you rest your head on the grid? just checking. (if i were you, i wouldn't do it... i just leave it in the bag of rice for another month).
    My head? Lol. Anyway, nothing else was working, and I've read about this soaking in alcohol trick other places online as well, so I think it's definitely worth a try
    06-07-17 10:36 PM
    don't put it in alcohol, don't do anything except put it in bag of rice and leave it alone for a month. last time i checked, Merc is not alcoholic. margarita included.
    06-08-17 06:16 AM
    don't put it in alcohol, don't do anything except put it in bag of rice and leave it alone for a month. last time i checked, Merc is not alcoholic. margarita included.
    What the...? Didn't you read the whole thread? Beside, a month is way overkill, and rice is a poor dessicant.

And alcohol 100% or distilled water is exactly the way to go because it is non conductive and will flush the remaining salt. Provided you remove the battery, and ideally any circuit boards with closed containers (speakers, camera, etc.) if you can.

Posted via CB10 with my PassportSQW100-1/10.3.3.2205.
    06-08-17 08:16 AM
90 1234