don't put it in alcohol, don't do anything except put it in bag of rice and leave it alone for a month. last time i checked, Merc is not alcoholic. margarita included.
    Isopropyl alcohol is a good solvent.
    No way a bag of rice can do anything about cleaning saltwater residues.
    Or fresh water drying, too.
    In this case, better to dry the device with a proper method, like... heat.
    06-08-17 07:17 AM
    What the...? Didn't you read the whole thread? Beside, a month is way overkill, and rice is a poor dessicant.

And alcohol 100% or distilled water is exactly the way to go because it is non conductive and will flush the remaining salt. Provided you remove the battery, and ideally any circuit boards with closed containers (speakers, camera, etc.) if you can.

Posted via CB10 with my PassportSQW100-1/10.3.3.2205.
    there are many plastic in the phone, not all of them designed to withstand long immersion of alcohol... without knowing the parts list, I wouldn't do it if I am the OP. rinse is ok, but not pro-long immersion. (rinse will not do much because the 100% IPA evaporated very fast.. can't even kill bacteria... rubbing alcohol is not good, because the water present... rice is not too bad compare to other options IMHO... slow, but less potential damage).
    06-08-17 07:38 AM
    there are many plastic in the phone, not all of them designed to withstand long immersion of alcohol... without knowing the parts list, I wouldn't do it if I am the OP. rinse is ok, but not pro-long immersion. (rinse will not do much because the 100% IPA evaporated very fast.. can't even kill bacteria... rubbing alcohol is not good, because the water present... rice is not too bad compare to other options IMHO... slow, but less potential damage).
    True, there is a risk of plastic damage with alcohol...
    But its just a risk, and anyway the OP phone is unusable now, as per his words.
    A month in a bag of rice, on the other hand, will do no harm, exactly because it will do nothing; while, btw, the salt will keep doing corrosion.
    06-08-17 08:04 AM
    True, there is a risk of plastic damage with alcohol...
    But its just a risk, and anyway the OP phone is unusable now, as per his words.
    A month in a bag of rice, on the other hand, will do no harm, exactly because it will do nothing; while, btw, the salt will keep doing corrosion.
    IPA 100% will not dissolve that much salt either... if I remember my chemistry class correctly. (my memory start fade).
    06-08-17 08:21 AM
    All I know is that I've tried everything, and rice was just the worst... It got stuck between the keys, making them hard to press. The rice was a pain in the arse to remove, so I'll never use it again. That's the end of that discussion.

I will be putting my K1 back together later today, and I'll report back here on how it went.

Btw., no plastic was harmed using alcohol as far as I could tell yesterday.
    06-08-17 11:13 AM
    Rice doesn't actually work that well. You're better off using silica gel packs or just run a fan on it.
    06-08-17 11:14 AM
    Btw., I don't know if anyone has posted this before, but we all know the codename for the KEYone was supposedly 'Mercury'. Look at this picture. Under the K1 battery it clearly says 'Mercury sidekey'... The 'sidekey' part is new to me at least...
    Attached Thumbnails My KEYone experienced water damage. Is there anything I could do?-img_20170608_1156283.jpg  
    stlabrat likes this.
    06-08-17 12:00 PM
    UPDATE: The phone works as before with the exception of the speaker now working. The camera still does not work, nor the keyboard swiping gestures. And the screen now shows clear signs of water damage after being soaked in alcohol and distilled water. I could live without​ the swiping gestures on the keyboard, but not without the camera (or the screen of course). I've attached a pic showing how the screen looks now on a white background. It is not looking good. I suppose I could remove the screen and dry it out, but frankly, at this point I can't be bothered with the hassle. I'll just wait for the new one to arrive. Stupid CB Android app update won't let me attach a pic to the quick reply function, nor will it let me copy all the text I've already written (amateur hour...), so I'll post the pic of my screen in the following reply.

EDIT: The phone/battery also appears to be having some charging problems.
    06-08-17 03:54 PM
    Here is my screen now. Any non-removal tips would be most welcomed.
    Attached Thumbnails My KEYone experienced water damage. Is there anything I could do?-img_20170608_1537330.jpg  
    06-08-17 03:55 PM
    Mhh, so, speaker recovered but lost screen...
    From my experience, these marks will remain.
    Only thing that you can do now is to wait and hope that, after drying, things will go better, also for the camera module.
    Leave the back cover off, so the phone will dry faster,
    but the screen... its possible that water/alcohol has reached the inner layers of the display, if thats happened, I see no luck of recovering, but anyway,
    try to wait and see if the bad areas will decrease.

Sorry for your K1 end...
    Hoping your next Clove unit will be ok.
    Mine is without issues.
    06-08-17 06:22 PM
    IPA 100% will not dissolve that much salt either... if I remember my chemistry class correctly. (my memory start fade).
    The 99% iso is to displace water and then quickly evaporate not to dissolve any remaining salt. That's why you first use distilled or deionized water if you access to that.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    06-08-17 06:29 PM
    Mhh, so, speaker recovered but lost screen...
    From my experience, these marks will remain.
    Only thing that you can do now is to wait and hope that, after drying, things will go better, also for the camera module.
    Leave the back cover off, so the phone will dry faster,
    but the screen... its possible that water/alcohol has reached the inner layers of the display, if thats happened, I see no luck of recovering, but anyway,
    try to wait and see if the bad areas will decrease.

Sorry for your K1 end...
    Hoping your next Clove unit will be ok.
    Mine is without issues.
    Thanks man. Glad to hear you have a K1 without issues. Lots of negative reports here lately... The couple of days I spent with mine before 'the incident', lol, were completely issue-free as well.
    06-08-17 06:32 PM
    since your LCD still work (look like you can see google), that means LCD cell is ok (no leakage of LCD or gap difference, seal is still withstand what ever you did). look like your backlight stack might be detached either locally or from bottom right corner... the diffuser or prism stack might be delaminated (if it is use Pressure sensitive adhesive, not surprise to be delaminated by exposed to IPA). http://informationdisplay.org/portal.../GIFS/Fig1.jpg
    send back and get repaired by change the LCD stack including backlight... if not cost too much.. As for keyboard, if dummy KB is still work, but not swipe, at least you got K0.5.. half phone.
    06-09-17 09:16 AM
    since your LCD still work (look like you can see google), that means LCD cell is ok (no leakage of LCD or gap difference, seal is still withstand what ever you did). look like your backlight stack might be detached either locally or from bottom right corner... the diffuser or prism stack might be delaminated (if it is use Pressure sensitive adhesive, not surprise to be delaminated by exposed to IPA). http://informationdisplay.org/portal.../GIFS/Fig1.jpg
    send back and get repaired by change the LCD stack including backlight... if not cost too much.. As for keyboard, if dummy KB is still work, but not swipe, at least you got K0.5.. half phone.
    Hehe, yeah. The screen has some water spots, but they are only really visible under certain backgrounds, like white. It is still functional. Weirdly enough, it also appears to be significantly dimmer than before. Also, the android keys don't light up anymore, but the keyboard itself works great (except for no swiping). The camera module must have gotten damaged early on, me thinks. It seems to be a gonner.

It's not worth it to send it away for repair, mate. The shipping alone would probably be around $100 USD down here (I know, it's ridiculous). Besides, I have already ordered a new one. Sadly, it has been delayed, again. With all the crap I went through to get the first one, it is really starting to feel like this phone was just NOT meant for me, lol.
    06-09-17 11:11 AM
    Hello guys,

just wanted to let you know, that I left my brand new blackberry black on a wet towel as well, during the night. After this, there was some water in SD&SIM-slot, inside the camera, etc. The phone was just continuing to start and pressing random buttons, while nothing seems to work. It booted only in save mode.
    I took a hairdryer and I was careful with the heat. After some hours of lying in rice, the phone was able to boot, but only in safe mode. This was the status quo for almost one week.
    Today, a friend of mine came over and he helped me to open the phone and to remove the back cover. I did not touch the battery, I just had to clean the pins, where this orange-button-trace is connected to the mainboard. They were corroded.

This is just an information for you, if you have the same problem with random clicking buttons and therefore starting in safe mode, etc.

Everything works fine for my phone now So take the disassembly from fixit and remove your motherboard, I would not touch the battery. Check in detail for corrosion!
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    09-26-17 08:09 PM
90 ... 234