The odds of survival of a dunk in fresh water, with proper care, are reasonable.

The odds of survival of a dunk in saltwater are, unfortunately, very close to zero.
    05-29-17 09:59 PM
    The keypads trap more water than the slab. You should not power on for 5-6 days to be on the safe side. The power on wet, might already done some damage. Best of luck.

Posted via CB10
    Powering on wet soaked devices usually causes circuit board damage. So neeeever ever power on unless fully dry.

Man. Feel bad for you dude. Not much can be done about wet electronics.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-17 11:13 PM
    Actually putting it in a bag of rice is the worst thing to do since it crystallizes the components inside. Silica gels is the best way to go.

Posted via one of the Last of BlackBerry's Iconic devices
    Last edited by khlover520; 05-30-17 at 03:02 PM.
    05-29-17 11:42 PM
    The odds of survival of a dunk in fresh water, with proper care, are reasonable.

The odds of survival of a dunk in saltwater are, unfortunately, very close to zero.
    This is the real problem: SALT water. Salt will start corroding things very quickly, and removing the moisture doesn't help that much, because the salt will continue to draw moisture out of the air.

And, yes, continuing to try to use it was a huge mistake. The right answer would have been to turn it off immediately, open it up (somehow), rinse it out thoroughly with fresh water to remove the salt, THEN dry in desiccant (dry rice or, better, silica gel).

It's almost a certainty that this phone is dead for good at this point. The sea is a cruel mistress, and not at all forgiving.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and Tim-ANC like this.
    05-30-17 12:04 AM
    Dang, some water resistance would have been nice. Im curious on details, was it submerged or just splashed on? ie: if i spill a drink on it will it burn up as well?
    ^^^This. At least IP 52 is desirable for modern devices.
    05-30-17 12:50 AM
    From the time they made non-removable batteries the standard, some level of waterproofing should have also been made the standard. Just turning off your phone.... isn't going to work in some cases.

I live in an area where we have fresh and saltwater fishing, and beaches.... even with a waterproof phone, I use lifeproof case when going out. As even waterproof phones there is no guarantee... especially if you have dropped it a few times over the years.
    FF22 likes this.
    05-30-17 08:22 AM
    http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/iph...-ipad-3633848/
    Even with 67.

Posted via CB10
    05-30-17 09:11 AM

This. Sorry my dude, but you likely killed it. Especially with attempting to turn it on as well.
    05-30-17 01:00 PM
    Turn it off immediately and put in a bag of rice
    What this person said, it works like a charm if it hasnt been to long
    05-30-17 02:19 PM
    "crystallizes the components"??? What does that mean?
    05-30-17 02:52 PM
    "crystallizes the components"??? What does that mean?
    The water evaporates but the salt does not. Now you have salt crystals all over everything, and salt sucks up water (which turns it conductive again!)

In addition salt is directly corrosive.

Basically if you dunk something electronic in salt water it's nearly-always toast. This is frequently even true for so-called "sealed" devices. Note that even so-called "water resistant, 50M" WATCHES are occasionally destroyed by swimming in salt water, especially if any of their buttons are pushed while immersed. If an extremely tiny bit of saltwater gets in the wrong place you're done.

The so-called "water resistant" phones are somewhat of a BeeEss claim. There's still big risk in the connectors, SIM tray and similar. The real test for such a claim by a manufacturer is if they don't stick "water damage" stickers in their units and will warranty a unit that gets wet and stops working. If they're willing to do that then I believe their claims -- otherwise I treat them exactly as I do a phone that makes no water resistance claim at all.
    05-30-17 03:01 PM
    That's too bad. Hopefully, k2 is water resistant.
    05-30-17 03:27 PM
    That's too bad. Hopefully, k2 is water resistant.
    Possibly, no key...

Posted via CB10
    05-30-17 03:31 PM
    Well, to all you naysayers, we'll see what happens. For now I'm just leaving the phone be (which is so hard), hoping for the best. However, I am also a realist, so I'll most likely have to dip into my savings and order a new unlocked North American version when they're available...
    05-30-17 04:18 PM
    it's too bad you weren't at home when it got dunked in salt water. You could have tried saving it by flushing with distilled water to dissolve the salts, then flooding it with 99% isopropyl alcohol which you can buy at most any pharmacy to displace the water, then lay the phone on a towel for the iso to evaporate.
    05-30-17 04:27 PM
    it's too bad you weren't at home when it got dunked in salt water. You could have tried saving it by flushing with distilled water to dissolve the salts, then flooding it with 99% isopropyl alcohol which you can buy at most any pharmacy to displace the water, then lay the phone on a towel for the iso to evaporate.
    Right... but he also had to know and understand that process within a very short time of the phone getting splashed. He didn't. Most people apparently don't. And that's why, most of the time, a device is destroyed by salt water.
    05-31-17 01:54 AM
    Just a small update. I plugged it in again today. It is still caught on the boot-up loop (displaying the BlackBerry and Android logos), but it almost turned on a few times, and it even turned on completely one time with a bunch of notifications popping up on the start screen, before it turned off again...

I can also get to the BootLoader menu (hold down power button and volume down for a few seconds), but I can't select any of the options...
    05-31-17 01:05 PM
    Not bad...

But now, stop trying to use it.
    The salt inside is still there.

Try to remove the back cover with a plastic tool (there is a thread here with pics), at least you can see how much of salt entered.

The next thing I would do is to remove the battery, and then flushing with pure water, last step yes, if you can find it, isopropy alcohol.

The problem with the battery is that also if you use 100% pure water (not the same as distilled water), the salt can dissolve and create electrical shorts.
    If you remove the battery, its possible to plenty flush the phone.
    The odds are not so great, but I'd give it a try.

Let we know how this evolves!
    05-31-17 08:59 PM
    Not bad...

But now, stop trying to use it.
    The salt inside is still there.

Try to remove the back cover with a plastic tool (there is a thread here with pics), at least you can see how much of salt entered.

The next thing I would do is to remove the battery, and then flushing with pure water, last step yes, if you can find it, isopropy alcohol.

The problem with the battery is that also if you use 100% pure water (not the same as distilled water), the salt can dissolve and create electrical shorts.
    If you remove the battery, its possible to plenty flush the phone.
    The odds are not so great, but I'd give it a try.

Let we know how this evolves!
    This is as far as I got (see pic attached). However, removing the battery itself (which was a pain in the arse) doesn't stop the phone from still trying to turn itself on. There appears to be two tiny screws (I don't have the proper tools) which should disconnect the battery, I'd assume...
    Attached Thumbnails My KEYone experienced water damage. Is there anything I could do?-img_20170531_2135510.jpg  
    05-31-17 09:40 PM
    Thanks for all the info. Most people just say stick it in a bag of rice. I would never have thought of flushing with distilled water and alcohol. I will try to remember this!!
    05-31-17 09:44 PM
    Yes, you have to disconnect the battery!
    Use a proper Philips screwdriver.
    Lets hope its not soldered, too.
    If its so, then pay attention to not stay there too much with the iron (1 second max, and then if you have to desolder again, wait 20 seconds to let it cool).
    05-31-17 10:39 PM
    It is recommended that you open its back cover, and then use a fan to blow it a few hours, and then try to boot. I had accidentally dropped my 9930 water, which led to the inability to boot, and then I saved it with this method.
    06-02-17 12:33 PM
    It is recommended that you open its back cover, and then use a fan to blow it a few hours, and then try to boot. I had accidentally dropped my 9930 water, which led to the inability to boot, and then I saved it with this method.
    Thanks. I have already done that, as can be seen on the picture above. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get hold of a Torx screwdriver yet, so I am unable to remove the battery. If I plug in the charger, the phone is just stuck on this reboot loop, trying to turn itself on, but not being able to...
    06-02-17 02:49 PM
    I don't use credit cards, only debit...

Anywho, I just used some boiled water and wrapped it in those absorbing paper towels out in the sun for a little while. Let's see if it made any difference... I'll just (try to) leave it alone for awhile now.
    1. Never leave a phone in the sun, your battery is now garbage!

2. if you're wearing a bathing suit, your phone should be in a zip lock bag at the very least. Water, sand, it's going to get you eventually. You can talk and type and touch screen right through it. Not waterproof really, but 100x safer than naked phone.

3. RMA it. They probably can't wait to dismantle the first ones that come back home...
    06-02-17 02:54 PM
    1. The battery still works.
    2. The phone was far away from the water, in a purse, with a towel wrapped around it, on a big rock. A huge wave came out of nowhere and knocked the purse down.
    06-02-17 03:00 PM
90 1234