Hi,

So I should never have brought my K1, which I just got on Thursday afternoon, over to Acapulco. My phone was in my girlfriend's purse with a towel wrapped around it and this huge wave came out of nowhere, turned the purse over and made both our phones wet (hers much more than mine). Hers was completely dead, but mine still turned on but behaved weirdly. We put the phones in rice for almost 24 hours. Hers actually worked perfectly after that (a Sony Xperia X Compact) while mine is just stuck on this start-up loop every 3 seconds. I cannot make it turn on. I have this acquaintance coming over later today (I think) who is really good with electronics. He is going to try to open it up... I don't know what else to do. Warranty never covers water damage. I'm so gutted, because like many of you, I waited for this thing for like 7 months. I'm back to using my old Dtek50 now... It seems the K1 is extremely sensitive when it comes to water...

Tragicomically, right before we went down to the beach I was showing off my brand spanking new K1 to my friends who were very impressed. I thought about not bringing the phone down to the beach, but there were so many interesting things there to shoot with the camera (like the ruins of an enormous, abandoned drug-lord hotel etc...).

Any suggestion would be most welcomed.
    Thanks
    05-29-17 12:44 PM
    Man. Feel bad for you dude. Not much can be done about wet electronics.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-17 12:48 PM
    Turn it off immediately and put in a bag of rice
    05-29-17 01:07 PM
    The keypads trap more water than the slab. You should not power on for 5-6 days to be on the safe side. The power on wet, might already done some damage. Best of luck.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-17 01:12 PM
    The power on wet, might already done some damage. Best of luck.
    Yes, that's exactly what I fear. Stupid me. The phone was already in that constant reboot cycle (until the battery died) when I put it in rice.

Thanks for your kind words, guys.
    05-29-17 01:19 PM
    Dang, some water resistance would have been nice. Im curious on details, was it submerged or just splashed on? ie: if i spill a drink on it will it burn up as well?
    05-29-17 01:26 PM
    Turn it off immediately and put in a bag of rice
    Actually, that's not a good idea. From this article:

So, does the trick work? In 2014, Gazelle.com ran a semi-formal test that indicated it didn’t. Of the seven household desiccants they tested, uncooked rice was the least absorbent, behind cat litter, couscous, oatmeal, and instant rice. Unless you’re willing to spend serious money, leaving your phone on a shelf to air dry, they suggested, may be your best option.
    (Also see this article.)

The best option is silica crystal cat litter or - if you can get them - silica packets (those small packets you often get with electronics).
    05-29-17 01:32 PM
    Hi,

So I should never have brought my K1, which I just got on Thursday afternoon, over to Acapulco. My phone was in my girlfriend's purse with a towel wrapped around it and this huge wave came out of nowhere, turned the purse over and made both our phones wet (hers much more than mine). Hers was completely dead, but mine still turned on but behaved weirdly. We put the phones in rice for almost 24 hours. Hers actually worked perfectly after that (a Sony Xperia X Compact) while mine is just stuck on this start-up loop every 3 seconds. I cannot make it turn on. I have this acquaintance coming over later today (I think) who is really good with electronics. He is going to try to open it up... I don't know what else to do. Warranty never covers water damage. I'm so gutted, because like many of you, I waited for this thing for like 7 months. I'm back to using my old Dtek50 now... It seems the K1 is extremely sensitive when it comes to water...

Tragicomically, right before we went down to the beach I was showing off my brand spanking new K1 to my friends who were very impressed. I thought about not bringing the phone down to the beach, but there were so many interesting things there to shoot with the camera (like the ruins of an enormous, abandoned drug-lord hotel etc...).

Any suggestion would be most welcomed.
    Thanks
    I had similar situation with blackberry bold, I also used rice but I warmed it a little

Posted via CB10
    05-29-17 01:49 PM
    Next time go to beach, put your phones in good brand zip lock bag. Save money and headaches.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 and Bsbudd like this.
    05-29-17 01:50 PM
    Try to let it dry some days... also if salted water is no good for powered electronics, sadly.

About the X Compact: its very easy to test if its still waterproof: install CPU-Z, or use the test menu, and control if the pressure sensor value raise for around a sec if you press with 2 fingers (not a lot) the screen and the back.
    Water viscosity > air viscosity, so its a real test.
    Done that on mine, and then submerged it during a call, it worked flawlessy.
    I've made also a youtube video, its something like "sony xperia x compact waterprrof - evident aqueduct water" .

About the K1, I think there are 2 problems:
    1] risk of shorts because of salted water. Maybe you' ve been lucky...
    2] you need to clean the phone.
    If I recall well, there is some kind of service, like bathing the phone in 100% pure water, or some solvent, I dont remember...

In the past years, I' ve succesfully used, after similar accidents (stupid idea of carrying a phone on canoe/kayak), a ventilated owen at around 50 Celsius, but it was river's water, and it was possible to remove the battery.
    05-29-17 02:11 PM
    Dang, some water resistance would have been nice. Im curious on details, was it submerged or just splashed on? ie: if i spill a drink on it will it burn up as well?
    It wasn't submerged, no. Yeah, if you spill a drink on it, it will most likely die... I had one of those Motorola vertical keyboard slider phones (Android as well) where that happened to me one late night. I could not bring it back to life no matter what.

Next time go to beach, put your phones in good brand zip lock bag. Save money and headaches.
    Oh, believe me, I will! Hehe.

About the cat litter thing, I think I'll pass on that one, as I felt that the rice got in between the keys making them less responsive. So, I'll just leave it be for a few more days. Unless I can get a hold of that electronics technician any time soon...
    05-29-17 02:18 PM
    Try to let it dry some days... also if salted water is no good for powered electronics, sadly.

About the X Compact: its very easy to test if its still waterproof: install CPU-Z, or use the test menu, and control if the pressure sensor value raise for around a sec if you press with 2 fingers (not a lot) the screen and the back.
    Water viscosity > air viscosity, so its a real test.
    Done that on mine, and then submerged it during a call, it worked flawlessy.
    I've made also a youtube video, its something like "sony xperia x compact waterprrof - evident aqueduct water" .

About the K1, I think there are 2 problems:
    1] risk of shorts because of salted water. Maybe you' ve been lucky...
    2] you need to clean the phone.
    If I recall well, there is some kind of service, like bathing the phone in 100% pure water, or some solvent, I dont remember...
    That's very interesting. Supposedly the X Compact was not water resistant, but my gf's phone was actually submerged in saltwater and worked fine the next day...

I might try cleaning my K1 lightly with boiled water... Thanks!
    05-29-17 02:23 PM
    If you can get the rear cover off and disconnect the battery, then run a blow Dryer for about 30-40 minutes on LOW HEAT and HIGH SPEED. Put it about 3 inches away. The steady and constant heat will help push moisture away. Also put the phone vertically on its side.

Did this for my Classic twice because of my 1 year old son. First was coffee and next time was water a month or so later.

You lose nothing at this point, trust me. But you have to take the rear cover off. Otherwise you are just 'sweating' the components and making things much worse. The rice thing is a fallacy and has never ever worked.

NOTE: if getting the battery off is a problem, leave it in there. The low and steady heat will not harm it at all.
    05-29-17 02:27 PM
    Yes, unfortunately I have no way of getting the cover off, that's why I'm looking for this phone repair technician... Thanks for your advices!
    05-29-17 03:04 PM
    Many credit cards offer purchase protection where they will replace it after an accident with 90 days if you paid for it with that credit card. Look at your credit card benefits.
    05-29-17 03:33 PM
    I don't use credit cards, only debit...

Anywho, I just used some boiled water and wrapped it in those absorbing paper towels out in the sun for a little while. Let's see if it made any difference... I'll just (try to) leave it alone for awhile now.
    05-29-17 03:43 PM
    I don't use credit cards, only debit...
    boy, THAT'S another discussion.
    theBanker514 likes this.
    05-29-17 03:49 PM
    boy, THAT'S another discussion.
    Hehe, true that. I used to use some fancy credit cards because of bonuses, insurances and such, but after a few cloning/skimming incidents I decided to never use them again.
    05-29-17 03:55 PM
    The best option is to find somewhere hot -- but not TOO hot. Around 150ish (F, of course NOT "C"!) is about right.

If you have no temperature-controlled option a car in the sun (not the UNIT in the sun, but the VEHICLE is) with the windows slightly cracked is a decent option.

The goal is to raise the temperature so the delta between the dewpoint and the temperature increases. That increases the evaporation rate, and then migration of the gas (air w/water vapor) from the inside to the out and vice-versa will do the rest.

I've rescued a few things this way. Commercial dessicants work too (and very well); I have an encased one I put in my safe that is "recharged" by plugging it in, and it (in a sealed container) will also do the job by effectively dropping the moisture in the air in the container to near-zero. Note that both together do NOT work since the dessicant releases its moisture under heating.

Most of the successful "rescues" I've had were fresh-water exposures.

The problem you've got is that you took a bath in salt water. Saltwater is both corrosive and highly-conductive, and it takes only one current bridge between a 5V (or worse, a stepped up voltage!) rail and something like a 3v RAM or CPU line and you're done.
    05-29-17 04:14 PM
    Hehe, true that. I used to use some fancy credit cards because of bonuses, insurances and such, but after a few cloning/skimming incidents I decided to never use them again.
    Weren't you protected?

What happens if your debit card gets the same treatment?
    05-29-17 04:18 PM
    Weren't you protected?

What happens if your debit card gets the same treatment?
    Getting the money back was a big hassle (I HATE Mexican banks). A debit card requires extra steps and can't be used online (or elsewhere without knowing the code) without my bank getting a 6 digit code as well as a personal password.

Thanks a lot for your information, tickerguy! Very useful stuff.
    05-29-17 04:30 PM
    I had a camera which really took a bath in a creek. Water drained out of the battery compartment, the card slot, the view finder was fogged as was the lens. I hung it in front of a car air conditioner vent for about two hours as we drove. I kept turning it. Then when we arrived at our destination, I placed it out in full sun for another hour or two. Thing came back to life and I used it another two years.
    05-29-17 07:36 PM
    I had a camera which really took a bath in a creek. Water drained out of the battery compartment, the card slot, the view finder was fogged as was the lens. I hung it in front of a car air conditioner vent for about two hours as we drove. I kept turning it. Then when we arrived at our destination, I placed it out in full sun for another hour or two. Thing came back to life and I used it another two years.
    That's great, man. I've tried basically everything now. The last thing I did was lightly washing it with boiled water (lukewarm), wrapping paper towels around it and placed it in direct sunlight for a couple of hours. Then I dried it off and put it upright in a container with the lid cracked open a bit - also in sunlight. Now I'm planning on keeping it in a dark closet turned different ways (upright, upside-down and on its sides) for a couple of days until I try turning it on again.

Like someone else mentioned in this thread, I think my biggest mistake was tinkering with it right after it got wet... So, now I'm not going to do that - which is haaard... The phone just looks so great and I want to play with it all the time, lol. If none of this works, I'm going to have to dip into my savings and get a new unlocked North American version. The two full days I got to play with it was just heaven. I loved it!
    05-29-17 07:55 PM
    That's great, man. I've tried basically everything now. The last thing I did was lightly washing it with boiled water (lukewarm), wrapping paper towels around it and placed it in direct sunlight for a couple of hours. Then I dried it off and put it upright in a container with the lid cracked open a bit - also in sunlight. Now I'm planning on keeping it in a dark closet turned different ways (upright, upside-down and on its sides) for a couple of days until I try turning it on again.

Like someone else mentioned in this thread, I think my biggest mistake was tinkering with it right after it got wet... So, now I'm not going to do that - which is haaard... The phone just looks so great and I want to play with it all the time, lol. If none of this works, I'm going to have to dip into my savings and get a new unlocked North American version. The two full days I got to play with it was just heaven. I loved it!
    The real problem is there is no way to really remove electricity when the battery is not removable. But best of luck with your device. I recall years ago someone sent in their HP Palmtop for repair since it had been wet. It was returned as DEAD. By the time it got back to him, it booted up and worked fine. So, yes, give it time.
    05-29-17 09:11 PM

The real problem is there is no way to really remove electricity when the battery is not removable. But best of luck with your device. I recall years ago someone sent in their HP Palmtop for repair since it had been wet. It was returned as DEAD. By the time it got back to him, it booted up and worked fine. So, yes, give it time.
    05-29-17 09:11 PM
90 123 ...